Question re holland America zuiderdam issues, a/c, restrooms

Wesmoms

Hello, all. My father booked us a cruise on HAL Zuiderdam for 1-2-15. We will be cruising in separate cabins, balcony, deck 7, aft. However, i have been reading so many reviews about the restroom and air conditioning issues that i am so very apprehensive about taking this cruise. I'm 35 and disabled, with several health problems. My main issue is that it is life threatening for me if i get too warm. 72 degree rooms are somewhat warm to me, btw, but above 80 or so, if i'm not able to get cooled off, could be bad. Most other cruises we've taken, my parents and other guests said it was pretty cool in the main rooms, while i was comfortable. Never before had issues keeping the cabin cool enough. Also, i do have stomach/intestinal problems on occasion, so a working commode is pretty important. Can anyone that has sailed on this ship lately please help? I'd like to know if you encountered these issues, and if so, was anything done about it. So hoping everything has been fixed! :). Thanks in advance for any comments

Edited by Wesmoms

You should repost this on the HAL boards; I see you've found that board by reading your other posts. I am wondering if the zip lining excursion you mention in your other post is going to be possible for you with these problems? Make sure before you book it.

Edited by 6rugrats

Hello, all. My father booked us a cruise on HAL Zuiderdam for 1-2-15. We will be cruising in separate cabins, balcony, deck 7, aft. However, i have been reading so many reviews about the restroom and air conditioning issues that i am so very apprehensive about taking this cruise. I'm 35 and disabled, with several health problems. My main issue is that it is life threatening for me if i get too warm. 72 degree rooms are somewhat warm to me, btw, but above 80 or so, if i'm not able to get cooled off, could be bad. Most other cruises we've taken, my parents and other guests said it was pretty cool in the main rooms, while i was comfortable. Never before had issues keeping the cabin cool enough. Also, i do have stomach/intestinal problems on occasion, so a working commode is pretty important. Can anyone that has sailed on this ship lately please help? I'd like to know if you encountered these issues, and if so, was anything done about it. So hoping everything has been fixed! :). Thanks in advance for any comments

I read on Discovery Channel last night that in hot climates cruise ships may spend up t $100,000 to keep the AC going on a single, cruise because a third engine has to be turned on. It quoted this when the sea temp. round Australia hit 32.5 C.

john

Are you going tot he Caribbean? I think you'll be fine on the ship as most folks always complain "the ship's too cold". If getting near or over 80 degrees is particularly difficult for you, I think you're going to be most of cruise IN the ship and not outside or on the islands as it pretty much always going to be 80-ish degrees outdoors. Another reason for spending little or no time on the islands is that if you have stomach/intestinal issues, in most cases, public facilities are rather limited.