Am I Going to Get Death Stares for Dress Code on a 3 night Enchantment?

I was just on the Enchantment, if they are neat and tidy, you will get no evil stares. I have to admit I did give an evil stare in the dining room. While waiting for our table a couple checked in and what she was wearing was down right disgusting. She had on sweatpant cutoffs that we really small for her amble body, a dirty and I mean brown stains too tight white t-shirt and flip flops. Her partner was dressed in sweatpants hanging so low the showed about 3 inches of his boxes, flops, and a white wife beater shirt with a sweatjacket. I am not a prude by any means, but have some manners please, the dining room has a minimal dress code. I thought the hostess or the maitd would turn them away, but they did not. If I could have got my camera out I would have taken a shot. I have to tell you I would not walk my dog in the outfit she was wearing, much less show up in a public restaurant.

Hmmmm...does this mean you might be one of the so-called FASHION POLICE now???:)

I was just on the Enchantment, if they are neat and tidy, you will get no evil stares. I have to admit I did give an evil stare in the dining room. While waiting for our table a couple checked in and what she was wearing was down right disgusting. She had on sweatpant cutoffs that we really small for her amble body, a dirty and I mean brown stains too tight white t-shirt and flip flops. Her partner was dressed in sweatpants hanging so low the showed about 3 inches of his boxes, flops, and a white wife beater shirt with a sweatjacket. I am not a prude by any means, but have some manners please, the dining room has a minimal dress code. I thought the hostess or the maitd would turn them away, but they did not. If I could have got my camera out I would have taken a shot. I have to tell you I would not walk my dog in the outfit she was wearing, much less show up in a public restaurant.

Obviously no minimal dress code.

These day anything goes. Folks pushed the limits for their definition of "casual" and they got it.

enjoy

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

What RC needs to do is forget about "rules", and just put up a sign at the MDR. Something like - OK People, you are about to enter a nice venue for dinner. Before entering, please change into something decent. DO NOT show up in those same sweaty, dirty clothes that you wore on today's excursion. A small effort on your part will eliminate stares by the "fashion police" - those fellow guests that are crazy enough to expect neat and clean dress in the MDR.

What RC needs to do is forget about "rules", and just put up a sign at the MDR. Something like - OK People, you are about to enter a nice venue for dinner. Before entering, please change into something decent. DO NOT show up in those same sweaty, dirty clothes that you wore on today's excursion. A small effort on your part will eliminate stares by the "fashion police" - those fellow guests that are crazy enough to expect neat and clean dress in the MDR.

Well - we still have the problem of the definition for "something decent" , just like the definition of "casual". Casual to us is slacks and shirt for my husband and sundress, slacks/top for me. For others the definition of casual is shorts and a T shirt and a ball cap worn backwards.

While I prefer some standard of dress, I do wish the cruise line would either enforce some sort of dress code or abandon the idea completely.

M

Well - we still have the problem of the definition for "something decent" , just like the definition of "casual". Casual to us is slacks and shirt for my husband and sundress, slacks/top for me. For others the definition of casual is shorts and a T shirt and a ball cap worn backwards.

While I prefer some standard of dress, I do wish the cruise line would either enforce some sort of dress code or abandon the idea completely.

M

And some people think pajama bottoms and t shirts are acceptable as casual. Why not? Jeans are now "acceptable" on formal nights to everyone but the silly "Fashion Police!"

Edited by jimandtoni

Now I will admit that I have seen people turned around dressed in similar fashion as that! They had actually made it to their table but were asked to leave before they were ever served! :cool:

M

"Definition of decent" as per Royal Caribbean Website. Not sure why it's so difficult. But you are right, it isn't enforced. Then again, why do we put the crew in a position to enforce something that is clearly delineated? Just dress according to the "dress code."

"Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A: Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)"

Edited by papaflamingo

M

I totally agree with

either enforce some sort of dress code or abandon the idea completely.

They used to enforce it , not sure when they stopped? I thought I was on a Carnival cruise on my last RCCL cruise

I have sailed Enchantment many years ago on a 7 night with my kids when they were young. Have sailed on the Sovereign and Monarch 3 night without kids.

Sailing this weekend on the EOS for my birthday with 6 kids - all girls who like to dress cute and 1 boy. I have a teenage son who is 13 and being from Central Florida NEVER wears pants. I mean never not even jeans.

Are we going to get death stares if he is in American Eagle or Hollister Khaki shorts and nice polo for dinner in the MDR?

Why do you care and who cares what others think? If you do care what others may think then follow the suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR. How do YOU want the 13 year old boy to dress not how he wants to dress?

Edited by davekathy

How much longer before Royal Caribbean just goes ahead and allows shorts in the MDR like Carnival does? An unenforced rule is a silly rule IMHO.

I know Im in a minority here but I simply dont care if people wear shorts in the MDR for dinner. I certainly wont do it but I could not care less what others wear.

I don't think you're in the minority!:confused:

I really don't care what others wear!:D

Now if we can just get rid of stinky perfume!:eek:

How much longer before Royal Caribbean just goes ahead and allows shorts in the MDR like Carnival does? An unenforced rule is a silly rule IMHO.

I know Im in a minority here but I simply dont care if people wear shorts in the MDR for dinner. I certainly wont do it but I could not care less what others wear.

Not that long. I wrote a letter this summer to Royal and had a very nice reply and subsequent discussion with someone in corporate about it

I would certainly agree with the above. I think that most folks on the ship don't get their knickers in a knot over these issues, although they do have a tendency to bring out the clothes police on these boards.

I was a little worried when you said that he doesn't wear pants.:eek: So shorts seem like a great idea.:p

Do you really think that either of them noticed you staring? Why get your knickers into a twist over what a stranger who (I'm guessing) isn't even sitting with you is wearing?:confused: I've seen plenty of pigs dressed in tuxes, so for all you know you missed out on a nice couple who are simply clueless about dressing well.

"Definition of decent" as per Royal Caribbean Website.

"Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A: Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Also from the RC website, under what to pack.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

RC doesn't even know how they want people to dress. :confused::D

Do you really think that either of them noticed you staring? Why get your knickers into a twist over what a stranger who (I'm guessing) isn't even sitting with you is wearing?:confused: I've seen plenty of pigs dressed in tuxes, so for all you know you missed out on a nice couple who are simply clueless about dressing well.

'Pigs in tuxes'???:D

We think 'Penguins' when seeing them!:D

penguin.jpg

Also from the RC website, under what to pack.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

RC doesn't even know how they want people to dress. :confused::D

Actually what you posted is outdated. It used to be that the dress code for the

MDR was "casual" as described above, which is now known as "smart casual." Then they had the "semi-formal" night or "smart casual" night which is no longer done, but the dress was as you described above with jacket and tie for men. Then the "Formal Night" which is described as above.

Now, we have the new "smart casual" every night except Formal Night. The old "smart casual" or "semi-formal" has been discontinued.

So, RCCL does know what they would like you to wear. It's clear. Just many don't care. But my comment was in response to the question of the definition of "decent." The question of what Royal Caribbean, the owner of the ship, considers "decent" in their main dining room is clear. That's all. We can argue this ad-nauseam, but what's the point? You either dress according to the wishes of the cruise line you are on or don't. But don't justify your (euphemistic "your") choice to not follow the dress code with "they don't even know what they want." Sure they do. It's in writing.

Don't justify it with "it's my vacation, I'll do what I want." No you won't. You won't smoke in non-smoking areas because you might get removed from the ship. You won't walk around naked at the pool deck.

Don't constantly ask "is jeans acceptable on Formal night?" No. Not acceptable, but you won't be kicked out for being "unacceptably" dressed.

Don't ask "can I wear shorts in the dining room?" No. But they might just ignore your inability to read and abide by the request of the owners of the ship.

The only real justification for not abiding by the posted dress codes is either your luggage didn't show up, you aren't educated enough to understand what "collared shirt and pants" are, or you just simply don't give a flip because that's the type of person you (the euphemistic "you") are.

Actually what you posted is outdated.

So, RCCL does know what they would like you to wear. It's clear.

The question of what Royal Caribbean, the owner of the ship, considers "decent" in their main dining room is clear.

We can argue this ad-nauseam, but what's the point? You either dress according to the wishes of the cruise line you are on or don't. But don't justify your (euphemistic "your") choice to not follow the dress code with "they don't even know what they want." Sure they do. It's in writing.

Papa, I copied and pasted that from the website yesterday. It is "in writing" from RC just the same as your blurb. The website has conflicting information on it and newbies who use the website to figure out what to pack are getting bad information. It is RC's fault their website is outdated, not mine......so, I stand by, they don't even know what they want. ;)

Don't constantly ask "is jeans acceptable on Formal night?" No. Not acceptable, but you won't be kicked out for being "unacceptably" dressed.

Please show where anything rci prints says jeans are not acceptable on formal night.

Probably no one will comment or stare.

I certainly wouldn't care what he wears.

However, this is an opportunity to show him what people wear out to dinner in a nice restaurant or to a formal occasion. He might even enjoy it.

One pair of pants (or trousers as we say) is all that is needed.

If it is going to make you worried, I would get him a pair and make him wear them. Why should you have to stress about your vacation?

Papa, I copied and pasted that from the website yesterday. It is "in writing" from RC just the same as your blurb. The website has conflicting information on it and newbies who use the website to figure out what to pack are getting bad information. It is RC's fault their website is outdated, not mine......so, I stand by, they don't even know what they want. ;)

I'm not arguing that what you quoted was not on their website. And under "What to Pack" it still shows "smart casual." We all know that has changed, but for a "newbie" it would only result in carrying a jacket that wasn't necessary. If you go to FAQ or type in "dress code" in the search function you will see the updated dress definitions. Seriously, it isn't that hard. We all really know what they suggest for dining on their ships. If you are so easily confused, well... all I can suggest is you ask a trusted friend if they could interpret the dress code suggestions. Even a "newbie" should be able to figure out that jeans, t-shirts, and shorts are not part of the suggested dress.

Please show where anything rci prints says jeans are not acceptable on formal night.

Well... if you mean do they ACTUALLY say "no jeans," no. I know, I know it's hard these days to determine what is meant by such an "ambiguous" term as "formal wear." So, I decided I'd google it and get the definition. Here it is, copied and pasted:

"for·mal·wear

ˈfôrməlwer/

noun

noun: formal-wear

clothing, such as tuxedos and evening gowns, for formal social occasions."

I know, it doesn't say "no jeans." Then again, it doesn't say "jeans" are formal wear. But there is more. Here is the definition from the FAQ section on RCI"s website:

"Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional) "

I know, I know.. it doesn't say "jeans are not acceptable."

But wait... there is more! Here is a quote from RCI's website under "What to Pack":

"Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women...

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men."

I know, I know... it doesn't say "jeans are not formal wear." But wait.... it does say this:

"Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner."

And yet people still ask "can I wear shorts in the dining room." And people still wear t-shirts.

So LMaxwell, here's the thing. I am an airline pilot. And in all of our operating manuals, training guides, maintenance manuals, FAA manuals, and we have many of them, it does NOT say "wings on aircraft required to be installed prior to takeoff." Nor does it say "all designated engines are required to be installed and operable prior to takeoff." There are just some things that we are expected to know.

There is nowhere on this planet where Jeans fit into this definition:

"Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional) "

Hey... bottom line, wear what you like. But come on... don't say "gee it doesn't actually say I can't wear jeans on formal night." None of us are that stupid.

Edited by papaflamingo