Insurance Woes ...

djmess

Here's an insurance situation I'm currently encountering and working through.

We have 5 people booked in a 2bedroom suite. We booked forever ago and was able to take advantage of the 3rd-8th person sails free. Now I'm frustrated with the way NCL gives you an average price per person when you book, because if something goes wrong. Which it has, depending on the position that the person is placed in the order on the invoice then becomes an out for the insurance company.

Here's our situation. 5 family members booked because the average cost per person was very reasonable. Well, Grandma fell and broke her hip right before Thanksgiving. She is listed as the 4th person on the reservation. So that means paid taxes only. So when we file the insurance claim, which was purchased through NCL, they will only cover the $115 in taxes, which we would have gotten back anyway. So now the overall cruise fare for the 4 remaining person is increasing significantly. Just bummed. I know the importance of the insurance. It's not just for cancelation. Had Grandma fallen on the ship and required evacuation, the insurance would have covered it. Just saying, I'm bummed that for us canceling her from the reservation, the insurance is really useless.

Just pointing this out to others that book under the "kids sail free" or like promotions, or maybe have a reduced 3rd or 4th person rate. If Grandma would have been listed as the 1st or 2nd passenger, then we would have been able to claim that full amount for the passenger. We would have made money off the deal. I'm not saying that is right. I just wish we could have claimed the "AVERAGE" per person rate for Grandma. It would have been a bit more fair in my mind at least.

So, my reason for starting this thread is to just inform. If maybe you have an elderly relative traveling with you and sharing a cabin. Think that someone may need to cancel a trip and you have more than 2 people in a cabin, I suggest putting the potential at risk people as the 1st 2 higher rate guests.

If anyone has more info or advice, please let us know. I'm just relaying the information I received from the insurance company this afternoon.

Stuff happens.

I know this will bother some people. In the end, you lost a "good deal". You are not paying any more than if this was what ou booked in the first place, right?

I would just let it go.

Edited by garycarla

We have 5 people booked in a 2bedroom suite. We booked forever ago and was able to take advantage of the 3rd-8th person sails free. Now I'm frustrated with the way NCL gives you an average price per person when you book, because if something goes wrong. Which it has, depending on the position that the person is placed in the order on the invoice then becomes an out for the insurance company.

Here's our situation. 5 family members booked because the average cost per person was very reasonable. Well, Grandma fell and broke her hip right before Thanksgiving. She is listed as the 4th person on the reservation. So that means paid taxes only. So when we file the insurance claim, which was purchased through NCL, they will only cover the $115 in taxes, which we would have gotten back anyway. So now the overall cruise fare for the 4 remaining person is increasing significantly. Just bummed. I know the importance of the insurance. It's not just for cancelation. Had Grandma fallen on the ship and required evacuation, the insurance would have covered it. Just saying, I'm bummed that for us canceling her from the reservation, the insurance is really useless.

Just pointing this out to others that book under the "kids sail free" or like promotions, or maybe have a reduced 3rd or 4th person rate. If Grandma would have been listed as the 1st or 2nd passenger, then we would have been able to claim that full amount for the passenger. We would have made money off the deal. I'm not saying that is right. I just wish we could have claimed the "AVERAGE" per person rate for Grandma. It would have been a bit more fair in my mind at least.

So, my reason for starting this thread is to just inform. If maybe you have an elderly relative traveling with you and sharing a cabin. Think that someone may need to cancel a trip and you have more than 2 people in a cabin, I suggest putting the potential at risk people as the 1st 2 higher rate guests.

If anyone has more info or advice, please let us know. I'm just relaying the information I received from the insurance company this afternoon.

Can't she just be a 'no show' and you guys just eat or split the $115.00 between the rest of you?

Harriet

Well, Grandma fell and broke her hip right before Thanksgiving. She is listed as the 4th person on the reservation. So that means paid taxes only. So when we file the insurance claim, which was purchased through NCL, they will only cover the $115 in taxes, which we would have gotten back anyway. So now the overall cruise fare for the 4 remaining person is increasing significantly. Just bummed. I know the importance of the insurance. It's not just for cancelation. Had Grandma fallen on the ship and required evacuation, the insurance would have covered it. Just saying, I'm bummed that for us canceling her from the reservation, the insurance is really useless.

And I'm "just saying".........wow, how very kind ...:eek:

Edited by All-ready2cruise

I don't understand the problem. She was part of the 3rd-8th person sails free so you didn't pay a fare for her so I'm not understanding why you expect to get a fare repaid.

Sorry this happened but I agree with the others you shouldn't be paid for something that didn't cost you anything. Also it's not right that you should make money off the deal.

The "average per person" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick on the website to make it seem better deal - those are not the actual prices but the total price divided by the number of people in the reservation.

When you go one step further in the booking process, you can see the actual per person prices and they are also stated on your confirmation. I really can't see why you should be getting something back that you have not even paid. How you may have internally divided the cost of the cruise has nothing to do with actual cost per person charged by NCL.

The "average per person" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick on the website to make it seem better deal - those are not the actual prices but the total price divided by the number of people in the reservation.

When you go one step further in the booking process, you can see the actual per person prices and they are also stated on your confirmation. I really can't see why you should be getting something back that you have not even paid. How you may have internally divided the cost of the cruise has nothing to do with actual cost per person charged by NCL.

Yes, the cost divided by 5 is an imaginary number but I think the OP knew that but was hoping otherwise. 5 splitting really paid for the first 2 making it a great deal for all.

I think once the reality sunk in of reimbursement procedure, she was just making a suggestion of putting the person at most risk as passenger 1 or 2, not 3 or 4th person. If grandma was listed as 1 or 2 as the "paying" person, the insurance would have kicked in. Sorry the OP wrote they could have made money, that set the tone for responses (but if you think about it, its true. That would have been a substantial refund of money to split)

I would have just had grandma be a no show, but I'm surprised they are covering something that is reimbursable anyway since there is no loss. I also wonder if the outcome would have been different with a third party insurer (I know that when I book insurance the total cost is divided by the number of travelers to determine coverage limits).

Did the 3rd through 5th passengers pay a lower insurance premium or was everyone charged the same rate? The premium is usually based on fare paid so I can see if the premium was lower then the coverage would be lower. I would check the original invoice to see if the insurance rate is broken down and go from there.

Did the 3rd through 5th passengers pay a lower insurance premium or was everyone charged the same rate? The premium is usually based on fare paid so I can see if the premium was lower then the coverage would be lower. I would check the original invoice to see if the insurance rate is broken down and go from there.

Grandma didn't pay for her fare, she was technically free except taxes in the promotion they booked under. Only passengers 1 and 2 were officially paying.

Yes, the cost divided by 5 is an imaginary number but I think the OP knew that but was hoping otherwise. 5 splitting really paid for the first 2 making it a great deal for all.

I think once the reality sunk in of reimbursement procedure, she was just making a suggestion of putting the person at most risk as passenger 1 or 2, not 3 or 4th person. If grandma was listed as 1 or 2 as the "paying" person, the insurance would have kicked in. Sorry the OP wrote they could have made money, that set the tone for responses (but if you think about it, its true. That would have been a substantial refund of money to split)

Yes, I was just trying to be informative. And, yes I was just trying to make a point that if Grandma had been listed as the 1st or 2nd person, then we would have gotten more money back than Grandma contributed. Yes, we all split the fare 5 ways. I am going to cover Grandma's cost, she is on a fixed income and it does make a difference to her. I was also just saying that yes, Grandma would have received more money than she contributed if she had been listed as passenger 1 or 2. All this is factual information. Not that we were trying to get more for nothing. Just saying.

I've been on these boards longer than many or most of you. Back when it was soley a part of AOL, so I truly expected the regular people to think I just wanted something for nothing. I cruise very frequently, with the exception of this year while I battled breast cancer. I generally use a 3rd party insurance, but because of Grandma's advanced age, it was better to go with the NCL insurance.

In my 40+ cruises, I've never had to use insurance, Honestly just began purchasing it in the last 10 or so years.

I just wanted to be informative to those that may travel with someone that there may be More of a case for cancelling to put them as the higher paying person. Again SUGGESTION AND INFORMATION. What these boards are supposed to be all about.

Lots of disable people on wheelchair go to cruises. If you feel ripped off, stick to your original plan and take grandma along.

Makes sense to me. It's the same old 'When something goes wrong, let's blame NCL' logic.

And you my friend are just plain rude! I never said I felt ripped off, no need to put words in my mouth so to speak. And no I'm not complaining or blaming NCL at all.

Maybe your comprehension level is not up to par, or you may have read my entire post and read the fact I was not complaining, but trying to be informative

She was added at no cost and you're complaining that insurance won't pay anything?

Weird.

Again a regular that thinks they know everything.

We had 5 people that were splitting the fare, so no she was not added for NOTHING. We were all paying 1/5. As stated on the NCL webpage that says average per person rate.

And again to my comprehension response earlier. Maybe some posters should go back to school to learn about reading comprehension.

I stated I was not complaining, but being informative with the information I gathered for our situation

Yes, I was just trying to be informative. .....

I just wanted to be informative to those that may travel with someone that there may be More of a case for cancelling to put them as the higher paying person. Again SUGGESTION AND INFORMATION. What these boards are supposed to be all about.

Thank you for clarifying. Most of us may not know who you are.

So many of the postings here are from people complaining, so I think some thought that is where you were headed. I did - which was wrong.

And I'm "just saying".........wow, how very kind ...:eek:

Not wishing anything bad for Grandma. I was trying to state I understand the importance of insurance, especially when traveling with elderly relatives in our case. Even though the insurance didn't work in the area of cancellation, it would have worked had the insurance been needed while we were onboard the ship

Thank you for clarifying. Most of us may not know who you are.

So many of the postings here are from people complaining, so I think some thought that is where you were headed. I did - which was wrong.

Thank You!

Sorry, but making Grandma Guest 1 or 2 on the reservation would not have made a difference here.

A paying Guest 1 and Guest 2 are REQUIRED on any (non-solo) reservation...especially to have anyone qualify for a free fare as Guest 3, Guest 4, Guest 5, etc.

If Grandma would have been Guest 2 and cancelled, then Guest 3 would move up to the Guest 2 spot, Guest 4 would move up to the Guest 3 spot, etc. All that would be refunded would be the taxes & port fees.

If this idea were actually valid, then it could be used to avoid paying the single supplement. If a person wanted to travel solo, they could book as Guest 1 and have a friend book as Guest 2 with both buying insurance. Then Guest 2 could cancel and get a full refund….leaving Guest 1 to go on the cruise only having paid for one guest. Simply not gonna happen.

Cancellation insurance isn’t going to kick in and pay for Guests 1 and 2 unless the entire reservation is cancelled.

djmess thank you for the heads up! You are absolutely right about the insurance. I just did a mock booking on the cruise travel site that I use and

the 1st & 2nd passenger pay 10X what the 3rd & 4th do (on paper). We are four friends who are booked in a DOS; each paying 1/4 of the total cost. However if the 3rd or 4th person needs to make an insurance claim does that mean they would only be covered for that one quarter. i.e. $2500 for passengers 1 & 2 and $250 for passengers 3 & 4 (exluding the taxes) !! I will be contacting our agent to see what they have to offer for an explanation.

Cheers,

Sandra

Edited by Samstress