$49 Drink package....

FTPCruiser

There are threads about this all over these boards. Use your search feature.

Whether it's worth it, depends on you & how much you drink. You have to read the specifics from your cruise line to determine what's included & what is excluded.

There are threads about this all over these boards. Use your search feature.

Whether it's worth it, depends on you & how much you drink. You have to read the specifics from your cruise line to determine what's included & what is excluded.

Thanx:o

Don't forget that $49 per day applies to port days too. Are you really going to drink $49 worth of drinks each after being on shore all day (probably drinking cheaper drinks than what you buy on the ship). This makes the package not worth the price for us.

Don't forget that $49 per day applies to port days too. Are you really going to drink $49 worth of drinks each after being on shore all day (probably drinking cheaper drinks than what you buy on the ship). This makes the package not worth the price for us.

I appreciate your help but I am completely confused on this issue.

I've made a search here as suggested but couldn't find anything related specific to this issue other than few advice how to save money buy not going to spa or buy anything on board extra...

#1) Is $49 deal for the whole trip or just for a day? I mean I am going to 10 day cruise with 5 days "at sea" time. If $49 for the whole trip it sounds like a great deal since I assume I will have normally spend over $49 in 10 days even if I try an extra coffee in the morning and a beer at evening.

#2) Or is this a package sold $49/day which means $490 for 10 day cruise and is that why you are saying it applies to the port days too?

Plus I won't leave the boat on cruise days... I chose a Cruise because I want to rest and relax while my hotel/restaurant and bar moving to different scenic locations.. My goal is not run to shore at ports and buy useless crap or go for hiking, golfing, horseback riding, scuba diving.

If I wanted that kind of vacation I'd go to a hotel in Hawaii or to a Caribbean Island.

I worked as a Captain in many ports around the worlds including in Avalon, Catalina. I never understood those people who were on a 3 or 4 night on Carnival cruise and they live across the channel in Los Angeles but when they come with a cruise ship they attack the gift shops.

Of course the same T-shirt they purchase for $30 is only $15 after the ship leaves.

Go to the message board for the cruise line you are doing-carnival, celebrity etc... as the rules are different for each line. Do a search there. Some include water, others don't. Some include certain call brands so your drink choices matter.

As a general rule you need to drink at least 5-6 alcoholic drinks a day, more if it is beer to break even.

Yes it is per day. So 49x10 plus 15% tip.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Edited by bearette

I appreciate your help but I am completely confused on this issue.

I've made a search here as suggested but couldn't find anything related specific to this issue other than few advice how to save money buy not going to spa or buy anything on board extra...

#1) Is $49 deal for the whole trip or just for a day? I mean I am going to 10 day cruise with 5 days "at sea" time. If $49 for the whole trip it sounds like a great deal since I assume I will have normally spend over $49 in 10 days even if I try an extra coffee in the morning and a beer at evening.

#2) Or is this a package sold $49/day which means $490 for 10 day cruise and is that why you are saying it applies to the port days too?

Plus I won't leave the boat on cruise days... I chose a Cruise because I want to rest and relax while my hotel/restaurant and bar moving to different scenic locations.. My goal is not run to shore at ports and buy useless crap or go for hiking, golfing, horseback riding, scuba diving.

If I wanted that kind of vacation I'd go to a hotel in Hawaii or to a Caribbean Island.

I worked as a Captain in many ports around the worlds including in Avalon, Catalina. I never understood those people who were on a 3 or 4 night on Carnival cruise and they live across the channel in Los Angeles but when they come with a cruise ship they attack the gift shops.

Of course the same T-shirt they purchase for $30 is only $15 after the ship leaves.

You really need to read the info on your cruise ship website to see what is included and what the rules are. Most cruise lines it is $49 per day and everyone in the cabin has to buy the package.

You really need to read the info on your cruise ship website to see what is included and what the rules are. Most cruise lines it is $49 per day and everyone in the cabin has to buy the package.

Now got it. Thanks friends... It seems like I will pass that wonderful(!) deal...

Some people feel that it is worth it -- some don't.

And many cruise lines require each person over the age of 21 staying in the same cabin -- buy the drink package. For us -- who are not big drinkers -- not worth it. And there are times when we prefer a good bottle of wine with dinner which is not covered in the drink packages.

I was thinking the same yesterday for our upcoming 1/4/15 cruise on princess. My wife doesn't drink many mixed drinks and I drink nothing harder than beer so for us it was a real stretch and made no sense when compared to even the buckets (6 for 5 price) on Princess. A bucket is $28.46 including tip. On past cruises we remember how much we spent and compared it to the cost of the $49 plus 15% and it wasn't even close.

Princess doesn't require both to take the same package, but even just me it was not worth it. The fact that it includes coffee (we love coffee) and special coffee drinks up to $10 didn't help much either.

Bottom line is to make it worth it to me we need to drink like our crazy college kids would. We have 2 recent grads and 1 in school.

I know we are NOT going to get this deal(!).. But just out of curiosity let me ask this.

Let's assume that myself and my wife both (unfortunately many years older than 21) got this deal.

Does this mean we can drink like 2 fish whatever we want and wherever we want and whenever we want on the ship during our cruise for 10 days?

Again this is my first cruise and I understand things are more expensive onboard compare to Wal-Mart prices but how much it cost if you ask a diet coke during your lunch? $5, $10, $20?

Edited by FTPCruiser

Yes...that's what it means, depending on the cruise line. On RCI, their drink package is unlimited drinks within a certain cost per drink..... on Carnival, I think they limit the cocktails to 15 per day...not sure on that figure, tho.

A can of soda runs in the $2.50 range....pretty much the same as in most hotels. On most cruise lines, the "package soda" is fountain soda, so you would need to drink the EQUIVILENT of 3+ cans per person, per day to make the soda package "pay". Most cruise lines won't bat an eye if you bring a 6 or 12 pack of sodas onboard.

Edited by cb at sea

I know we are NOT going to get this deal(!).. But just out of curiosity let me ask this.

Let's assume that myself and my wife both (unfortunately many years older than 21) got this deal.

Does this mean we can drink like 2 fish whatever we want and wherever we want and whenever we want on the ship during our cruise for 10 days?

Again this is my first cruise and I understand things are more expensive onboard compare to Wal-Mart prices but how much it cost if you ask a diet coke during your lunch? $5, $10, $20?

Drink prices on board are comparable to nice restaurants in most places & medium priced places in big cities.

It really depends on what you like to drink. I would rather drink less of something more expensive that I like which is usually excluded from these programs & pay for it, then get these all you can drink deals & feel like I had to drink a lot of something I didn't like just to make sure I got my money's worth.

I know what our bar bill was at the end of our cruises & we never came close to $49 pp per day X the number of cruise days so these packages don't work for us. But if our average bar bill was more than $700 I might consider it but even then taste / quality outweighs quantity for us.

Edited by trish1c

Yes, at least on Princess although they cap the drinks to $10 retail max. So as long as you stay under $10 retail you pound em back for 10 days all day.

Although I've been on all the big lines it's been a really long time since I sailed anything but Princess so that's all I can really comment on and to answer the diet coke question I would guess it's in the $4-5 range. The other thing is, if you drink a lot of soda... they have a plan for that too. :)

The packages vary from cruise line to cruise line. You need to read up about what is offered on your cruise.

"Worth it" will vary by individual. For some it is a great deal. For others a waste of money

Well said above!

What's offered so varies by the cruise line. ;)

LuLu

I don't know about the sections for other lines, but in the Princess section there is a application you can use to calculate the benefit of the different packages for you. You put in what you will drink and how many. It does the rest.

I see from your other posts that you will be on Star Princess. One of our members created a spreadsheet that can be used as an evaluation tool. It can be found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43468321&postcount=205 It is based on prices in effect as of July 2014.

As background:

Just about every beverage served to you will have a base price plus a 15% gratuity added. The all-inclusive bar package is $49 per day (base price) and is sold as a cruise package (10-day cruise = $563.50)

The AI Bar Package is really an all-inclusive beverage package. If it comes in a cup, glass or water bottle it's included. (fresh brewed coffee, specialty coffees, premium teas, various juices, soft drinks, milk shakes and adult beverages priced $10 & under per serving)

This could be a money saving option if you were a heavy beverage consumer aboard ship and factor in the time you spend ashore on port days (lost drinking time).

Enjoy your first cruise!

I see from your other posts that you will be on Star Princess. One of our members created a spreadsheet that can be used as an evaluation tool. It can be found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43468321&postcount=205 It is based on prices in effect as of July 2014.

As background:

Just about every beverage served to you will have a base price plus a 15% gratuity added. The all-inclusive bar package is $49 per day (base price) and is sold as a cruise package (10-day cruise = $563.50)

The AI Bar Package is really an all-inclusive beverage package. If it comes in a cup, glass or water bottle it's included. (fresh brewed coffee, specialty coffees, premium teas, various juices, soft drinks, milk shakes and adult beverages priced $10 & under per serving)

This could be a money saving option if you were a heavy beverage consumer aboard ship and factor in the time you spend ashore on port days (lost drinking time).

Enjoy your first cruise!

I really appreciate this. Thank you very very much !!!

• 1 month later...

I was considering this for NCL. I read thru the "fine print" and found it includes a variety of draft beer up to $5.95, bottled beers up to $5.50, glasses of wine under $10 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and Great Stirrup Cay.

It does not cover bottled water, drinks over $10, fresh squeezed drinks, energy drinks among others. Also, everyone in yout party needs to purchase the package.

NCL is $54 (includes hard liquor) or $44 one thing that detoured me was the fact that everyone in the party needed the to purchase the deal and... here is the kicker... Per day means 8 days on our 7 day cruse. The first day where we depart late in the afternoon and the last day where we disembark early in the morning.

Ben

50 bucks a day for alcohol is ridiculous. You pretty much have to black out every day for it to be worth it.

You must be kidding. It depends on the cruise line, but figure a decent (not "2 buck chuck") glass of wine will cost you about $10. One glass at lunch and two at dinner is $30. Add an afternoon cocktail and nightcap

with other than "well" swill and you're at $50. Our preferred line has an unlimited alcohol package for $60/day. But it has many better brands and includes the 18% tip. Basically, it amount to four drinks per day- hardly a lot on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Then there was the couple at the table next to us who thought it was GREAT since they got a refund for one of their packages. He was drinking the beer and she the wine from ONE package.:( I just gave them a cringed smile and kept my mouth shut.

Edited by iheartbda

I was thinking the same yesterday for our upcoming 1/4/15 cruise on princess. My wife doesn't drink many mixed drinks and I drink nothing harder than beer so for us it was a real stretch and made no sense when compared to even the buckets (6 for 5 price) on Princess. A bucket is $28.46 including tip. On past cruises we remember how much we spent and compared it to the cost of the $49 plus 15% and it wasn't even close.

Princess doesn't require both to take the same package, but even just me it was not worth it. The fact that it includes coffee (we love coffee) and special coffee drinks up to $10 didn't help much either.

Bottom line is to make it worth it to me we need to drink like our crazy college kids would. We have 2 recent grads and 1 in school.

hello, I'm Sue and Ken Paul and we're sailing march21st on the Island Princess march 21st transatlantic....I can't drink that much everyday ...too many calories and headaches. BUT , can yu buy it by the day or week ? t

hat might be beneficial if your feeling like a bit of a party.