Is there a big difference btw S-Class and M-Class ships? Will it be a downgrade?

2Nkotb

We've only been on the S-class ships and absolutely love our experiences there. I'm looking at a cruise on the Summit for 2015 (AQ) and am wondering if it's a bit of a "downgrade" sort to speak.

No offense intended. I'm a cruising novice and would appreciate any and all comments. Thank you in advance.

Edited by 2Nkotb

You will get many different responses to this question. In short, to answer your question, no it will not be a downgrade in the general meaning of the word downgrade, but you will notice some differences which you may like or you may not.

The M Class ships are smaller therefore the large atrium for instance on the S Class ships will not be there. The standard balcony cabins are a bit smaller as are the bathrooms. However, storage in the cabins on M is better than on S. On M Class ships the concierge rooms are slightly larger than your standard veranda rooms on M.

Some people love the T Pool on M class ships. Personally, I found the singers better on the M Class ships. While this is subjective, it is something that sticks out to me. The talent agency that fills production singers and other show talent on M Class ships is UK based. On the S Class ships the talent agency is US based and therefore a completely different company

All these differences can be minor or major. It has been my experience that the M Class ships feel smaller and slightly more worn, but only slightly. I probably only noticed it because I was looking closely for differences between the M and the S. the staff is equally wonderful on all the ships. The captain we had on the the Constellation was captain Tassos and he was absolutely amazing!

Th only way to find out if it feels like a downgrade to you is to take a chance and travel on any M Class ship. After you may say you prefer the S Class, or you may say you prefer the M class. Personally, we prefer the S Class but we would still sail on any M class ship. Either way, even if you end up saying you prefer the S Class, you will still have an amazing cruise!

Cheers and Happy Cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree with most of what the previous poster has said but would add that the M-class ships have a more traditional feel to them compared with a more modern feel to the S-class ships. By this, I find the S-class ships to seem lighter and more open. Because of this, my husband prefers the M-class ship and me the S-class.

However, I would not say that the M-class ships provide a downgraded experience just a very slightly different one.

It depends on what are you are looking for in a cruise.

S-Class offers glitz and glamour and more dining options.

The ships are stunning visually whereas M-class offers better seating for entertainment, more options to dance if you like that type of activity.

If you like the itinerary, the ship is secondary.

With both classes the service will be great and the staff eager to please.

The buffet on Reflection has way more food choice but more limited seating.

Be careful of the AQ cabins; some are under the pool deck and some are very noisy when early risers start moving chairs above.

Enjoy your cruise....

You will not be disappointed which ever ship you pick. Celebrity's ships are always spotless, the service exquisite, cabins are very well laid out for comfort, the food is always good and offers many choices. The personnel are always anxious to please. You always have a good choice of activities. The M class ship does not have as many eateries as the S class, but the experience is always good. My favorite perk on the M class ship is that it does not hold as many people that the S class does, resulting in shorter lines and less crowds. Have a great cruise when you do pick.

This question has been well answered already.

There is no lawn on the M class.

Concierge cabins are a bit larger than the other balcony cabins on M class.

As far as we're concerned everything else is just as wonderful.

One of the pluses on the M-class ships is that when they have the $10 jewelry sales, there are less people grabbing everything in sight. Also less folks fighting for tender tickets. More folks just lead to more lines and more crowding.

We've been on most of the celebrity ships...and we select by itinerary. We've had excellent service, food and cruises on both classes of ships....and we've had not so good service, food and cruises on both classes of ships. All of our recent cruises asia, Antarctica and transatlantic have been on m-class ships...Millenium and Infinity.

Edited by ghstudio

Only my opinion but we don't think it as a downgrade but are prepared for a ship not as nice (to us) as the S class. It's still a 90 ton ship so it's not small but it's not S class. When that's all they had it was fine and we had some great sailings.

The only upside from my point of view is the M class has the T-pool. Everything else is in favor of the S class. A downgrade to us the the buffet. We don't eat there often but it is in the old cafeteria layout. One long line for pretty much everything. Makes for larger crowds.

Loved the Summit as it was our first Celebrity sailing so we have special memories.

Have fun!

Edited by Duanerice1
spelling

We have sailed both the M and S classes. We love them both. They are all beautiful ships. Beauty wise - I think the S class ships are a bit more beautiful - but not a downgrade. The M class ships have less passengers - which is a plus for us. Both have alot of public spaces so do not feel crowded. Both have pool chair hogs! :eek:

The food was great on both. S class does have more dining options (i.e., more 'for additional fee' dining options) and has the lawn. M Class has the T pool (which we love).

We will sail on any celebrity based on itinerary and dates.

Enjoy whichever ship you choose.

You will not be disappointed which ever ship you pick. Celebrity's ships are always spotless, the service exquisite, cabins are very well laid out for comfort, the food is always good and offers many choices. The personnel are always anxious to please. You always have a good choice of activities. The M class ship does not have as many eateries as the S class, but the experience is always good. My favorite perk on the M class ship is that it does not hold as many people that the S class does, resulting in shorter lines and less crowds. Have a great cruise when you do pick.

Having sailed on both classes of ships, I will respectfully disagree about the fewer people/shorter lines/less crowds point. The buffet on the the M-class ships is the old school, obsolete, single station layout, a high school cafeteria without the trays. Very unpleasant and crowded. The S-class ships have separate stations in the buffet and things are more spread out. Little waiting, even at peak periods. I love the buffet on S-class ships.

There are things I like better about the M-class than the S-class (e.g., more comfortable seating in the theatre, a smaller ship, three banks of elevators and stairs), but the buffet layout is not one of them and is a real negative (for us, at any rate).

As for "Celebrity's ships are always spotless," here's one photo I took of our shower on the Infinity last year (an M-class ship). Hopefully, things look better now, but Celebrity had really let the grout go beyond its useful life. We still had a great cruise, but I would not go overboard (so to speak) in making blanket "Celebrity's ships are always" statements.

InfinityShowerTile_zps48fdce5f.jpg

We've sailed 2 S class ships (stunning, shiny and bright) and M class (Connie) twice - (smaller, more intimate, old world feel). I'd sail either in a heart beat but there is something special about those M class ships. Kinda like hotels - there is always the newest, biggest and then there are the legends - where the history and the ambiance can't be beat. M class is not a step down.

We've sailed 2 S class ships (stunning, shiny and bright) and M class (Connie) twice - (smaller, more intimate, old world feel). I'd sail either in a heart beat but there is something special about those M class ships. Kinda like hotels - there is always the newest, biggest and then there are the legends - where the history and the ambiance can't be beat. M class is not a step down.

I whole-heartedly agree with this sentiment!

+1

I've sailed on Reflection for 15 days and just spent 16 days on Constellation. For me, I enjoy the chic, modern beauty of the S-Class ships and all the options and amenities that they offer, but the classic, stately grandeur of M-Class ships are my favorite. You can see from my cruise history (past & future) that I have spent much more time on M-Class ships.

Our first cruise was on The Solstice (2012) an S-Class Ship ... We were wowed by BOTH the ship & Celebrity's pampering.

Our second Celebrity cruise was on The Summit (2013) an M-Class Ship...

The Summit did not disappoint. Maybe not as GLITZY as The Solstice but there were enough similarities when it came to Amenities & Venues to be familiar. And enough differences to peak our interest...

And enough similarities to deepen our love... Including that wonderful Celebrity Service

Our next 2 cruises (2014 & 2015) are on M-Class Ships... The Constellation & The Summit

Have not made up our mind just yet on our plans for 2016... But which ship won't be nearly as big a concern as other things like our Vacation Timing - Cruise Itinerary - and choosing an actual Cabin & Location

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

"Having sailed on both classes of ships, I will respectfully disagree about the fewer people/shorter lines/less crowds point. The buffet on the the M-class ships is the old school, obsolete, single station layout, a high school cafeteria without the trays. Very unpleasant and crowded. The S-class ships have separate stations in the buffet and things are more spread out. Little waiting, even at peak periods. I love the buffet on S-class ships."

jk

It's not a downgrade, it's what you are looking for. The bigger newer ships have more activities , restaurants, bars and longer wait lines for most things. The smaller ships (95,000 tons is not that small) have better service, less lines & sufficient number of restaurants and bars. To us the itinerary is the major factor in our decision.

Edited by dabear

My sailing history includes Century and Infinity. I was happy with the ship and I am looking forward to my first S Class voyage on Eclipse. My friends and family just returned from Summit and they were pleased with the ship. Enjoy!

While we have always liked Century, it is not a M class ship.

As to Summit - always been a favorite of ours.

Thank you so much for all the replies. We've booked on the Silhouette instead, but we'll definitely give the M-class ships a try on our next cruise.

You are wise to do your due diligence in asking this question. Before you give an M-class a try, look at the main Celebrity review page and notice that all of the M-class ships are lower-rated compared to the S-class ships. These statistics are from hundred of reviews. The cruising public speaks.

Longer wait lines on S class ships?

I'm not trying to nick pick here but having sailed 11 times with X (5 M Class and 6 on the S's) I cannot agree with these so called "longer wait times".

(Tendering is excluded)

I remember when Solstice was launched this topic was discussed to death.

Shoot, having just a wider selection of venues for dinning, drinking and other activities should swallow up the extra 680 passengers.

(One other exception - DW complains about the Bingo sign-in lines) :D

2MC

I'm so glad that you posted this question. I had no idea that the singers for S class were booked differently than the ones on M Class. I've only been on one S Class and it had the worst party band of any of the other X cruises that we have taken. All of my other cruises have been M Class and Century. M Class and Century provided much better dancing. Since DW and I love to dance every night and we prefer an older classic feel, I'll take M Class every time.

Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

One more difference I noticed having gone on the Reflection(s class) and constellation (m class) was the Reflection had the molecular bar with some very cool drinks, Connie did not have the molecular bar, only the martini bar.

On Connie the ratio of servers/sommeliers to passengers seemed to be higher, so wait staff and sommeliers seem to be less stressed.

Both though were good service experiences, just better with Connie.