Working with a HAL PCC

DaveOKC

About 2 years ago I got fed up with my TA and decided to give HAL a try directly. I called them and was assigned a PCC (Personal Cruise Consultant). After about 18 months, I was assigned a different one, since my original PCC was promoted to another job.

I have been very happy with the service from both PCCs. They are very friendly, helpful and more than willing to work for me on rebookings (to get a better price/deal), changing cabin assignment, getting me upsells, or just answering my many questions.

Without getting into the details, trust me when I say that they have gotten me some things that I did not think they would be able to. They certainly seem to know who to call at HAL to make things happen.

Plus, it is so convenient to deal through email with them. Last night I saw on the website that a much better cabin location in my category was now suddenly available, so I sent an email to my PCC. First thing this morning I get an email back confirming that my cabin has been changed!

Pricewise, I pay the same as I did using a TA, but I now get more OBC and upsell offers than before. I am sure that I could get even better pricing with one of the mega, online agencies, but for me working with a PCC is a good deal.

DaveOKC

About 2 years ago I got fed up with my TA and decided to give HAL a try directly. I called them and was assigned a PCC (Personal Cruise Consultant). After about 18 months, I was assigned a different one, since my original PCC was promoted to another job.

I have been very happy with the service from both PCCs. They are very friendly, helpful and more than willing to work for me on rebookings (to get a better price/deal), changing cabin assignment, getting me upsells, or just answering my many questions.

Without getting into the details, trust me when I say that they have gotten me some things that I did not think they would be able to. They certainly seem to know who to call at HAL to make things happen.

Plus, it is so convenient to deal through email with them. Last night I saw on the website that a much better cabin location in my category was now suddenly available, so I sent an email to my PCC. First thing this morning I get an email back confirming that my cabin has been changed!

Pricewise, I pay the same as I did using a TA, but I now get more OBC and upsell offers than before. I am sure that I could get even better pricing with one of the mega, online agencies, but for me working with a PCC is a good deal.

DaveOKC

Interesting Dave, I didn't think the PCC's had OBC to give away.

My TA has been fantastic at upsell offers.

Glad to hear that you are happy. Good TA's/PCC's are worth their weight in gold IMO.

We have used a PCC since 2005 - I know, because I asked mine the last time we spoke. We have had 3 during that time; 1 was a dud, 2 were wonderful. Any time I see a price drop, all I have to do is phone or email and things are taken care of. We have cruised enough to know where we want to go and what we want for accommodations, so there's no need to involve a TA. I much prefer dealing with a PCC.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Interesting Dave, I didn't think the PCC's had OBC to give away.

My TA has been fantastic at upsell offers.

Glad to hear that you are happy. Good TA's/PCC's are worth their weight in gold IMO.

I do not think the PCC have OBC to give out, but rather, they are very helpful in getting me offers/deals that I never saw with my TA. Further, one time after a problem cruise my PCC went to bat for me with HAL and got me a very large OBC and a couple of other perks - it was far more than I expected. Sorry if I mislead you.

DaveOKC

I would rather work with someone who is not employed by a cruise line and does not depend on that cruise line for his/her livelihood.

Makes them just a tad more independent/objective if a dispute arises and we need someone in 'our corner'.

Edited by iancal

I would rather work with someone who is not employed by a cruise line and does not depend on that cruise line for his/her livelihood.

Makes them just a tad more independent/objective if a dispute arises and we need someone in 'our corner'.

You are very lucky to have a ta like that. Many like to talk the talk but most don't walk the walk. I got rid of my ta over a year ago and I'm totally pleased with my PCC. I don't need a ta to hold my hand and any I've had have been zero help. Don't TA's rely on your booking to make a living? I'm thinking none do it on a volunteer basis.

Edited by cruz chic

I have to agree with DaveOKC. We have used both TA and PCC. In our very limited cruise time of less than 7 years, we have used a PCC with HAL the last 3 years and have enjoyed the relationship. He is quite prompt in replying to emails / phone calls and has gone to bat for us on a cruise that was not up to what we believed to be HAL standards. We too received OBC for our next cruise.

TA depends upon good relations with cruise lines and you are but one of their many customers. "TA's Corner" is the one that will come first. They depend upon not making too many waves at the cruise lines they book in order to conduct their business with the least amount of hassle.

I don't see a PCC has any less honor or incentive to deal fairly with their customer than any TA. At least I can speak directly with them if I have any thing I wish to discuss.

JMO......

I do not think the PCC have OBC to give out, but rather, they are very helpful in getting me offers/deals that I never saw with my TA. Further, one time after a problem cruise my PCC went to bat for me with HAL and got me a very large OBC and a couple of other perks - it was far more than I expected. Sorry if I mislead you.

DaveOKC

oh no worries :) It might have been me:eek:

Very happy with my TA but as long as we all have someone we are happy with, then life is good. Just a quick email and she takes care of any price drops or any of that stuff.

It's the right person that we all need and as long as we have them or have found our match, it's good:D

I certainly respect and appreciate your thoughts on this. Normally I would agree with you, but it has been my experience that the PCCs have gone the extra mile for me and represented me very well with Holland.

Again, we all have to decide on which approach is best for us - I merely was trying to point out that HAL's PCC have exceeded my expectations so far.

DaveOKC

I'm interested in knowing if things like TICO insurance are covered for Canadians using a PCC? Does anyone know? I'm not thrilled with my TA, and would like to use a PCC...

TICO regulates travel agents registered in ontario so I don't think a PCC based in Seattle would be covered under TICO. (Travel industry council of ontario)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

TA depends upon good relations with cruise lines and you are but one of their many customers. "TA's Corner" is the one that will come first. They depend upon not making too many waves at the cruise lines they book in order to conduct their business with the least amount of hassle.

I don't see a PCC has any less honor or incentive to deal fairly with their customer than any TA. At least I can speak directly with them if I have any thing I wish to discuss.

JMO......

PCC's are employed by HAL, TA's are not. I agree with iancal.

There are good PCC's and good TA's and bad ones. As long as we all have found a good one and happy with the service they give and the perks, that's the most important thing IMO.

I've never asked my TA to go to bat for me as there has been no need but if there were, I'm pretty sure she would do a fine job.

It's not a matter of honour - it's a matter of employee versus independent contractor unless I misunderstand the role of the PCC (which I may but I don't think so).

Anyways, as I said as long as we all have someone we are happy with, life is good:D

Edited by kazu

I have had a TA go to bat for me. And I am certain that the outcome would have been different if the TA had not been independent.

Doing the 'right thing' from a customer perspective AND the fact that my VERY independent TA was a major booker with the company helped.

A good TA is not worried about the relationship with a cruise line. There are lots of cruise lines out there. A cruise line is, or should be, concerned about the goodwill and opinion of a TA who has a very large book of business with that cruise line. It is often very easy for a TA to move a client over to another supplier/cruise line. If in doubt, just go into your local agency office and eavesdrop on some of the conversations.

Edited by iancal

I guess I've been lucky. With almost 400 days of cruising under my belt I've never had a problem serious enough that I needed someone to go to bat for me. I feel that I can represent myself better than anyone else can. I'm puzzled as to what a ta can do that I can't do myself. Where are these miracle workers TAs?

Edited by cruz chic

I guess I've been lucky. With almost 400 days of cruising under my belt I've never had a problem serious enough that I needed someone to go to bat for me. I feel that I can represent myself better than anyone else can. I'm puzzled as to what a ta can do that I can't do myself. Where are these miracle workers TAs?

You just need to look around, they are out there.

but for me working with a PCC is a good deal.

DaveOKC

Dave,

We have never cruised with HAL but plan to as soon as the cruise we want is offered in the Summer of 2016.

Do you also go through HAL for your flight arrangements?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

DaveOKC

I feel exactly the same way, and could have written your post word for word except our first PCC was a dud. But the one we've had now for several years is a gem and I hope we never lose her.

When we have used TAs (for other cruise lines) I've hated not being able to deal directly with the cruise line, I hate having to go through a 3rd party. Also pretty much felt like just a number with the big travel agency, Our PCC is much more personable and interested in our lives, besides working hard to get us the best deals.

You just need to look around, they are out there.

I have no desire to look. There is no reason to use one. I get tired of people that promise the world and deliver nothing. I feel very confident in booking my cruise. There is no reason to have a third party to hold my hand. I don't want to put the power in someone else's hands. Why do people that have TAs always think that is the only way to go?

Edited by cruz chic

Dave,

We have never cruised with HAL but plan to as soon as the cruise we want is offered in the Summer of 2016.

Do you also go through HAL for your flight arrangements?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

I booked once with HAL on flights and was not happy with the flights they selected, so I do my own now. I might consider them on "open jaw" flights, especially where the fares I can get on my own are high. If you do this, look into the option with HAL of selecting your own flights (flight deviation I think it is called).

I would also post this question on the main HAL board - I am sure you will get some great responses there.

DaveOKC

I think it`s simply a matter of personal choice. And one choice is no more right than another, it`s whatever you feel comfortable with. No need to knock the other side. I personally don`t see any advantages or disadvantages either way. But, FWIW, I booked my upcoming cruise directly with HAL. I later transferred it to a TA for a handsome OBC.

I booked once with HAL on flights and was not happy with the flights they selected, so I do my own now. I might consider them on "open jaw" flights, especially where the fares I can get on my own are high. If you do this, look into the option with HAL of selecting your own flights (flight deviation I think it is called).

I would also post this question on the main HAL board - I am sure you will get some great responses there.

DaveOKC

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I will take your advice.

Happy cruising!