I need some sympathy from my CC friends

Hflors

OK so here is where we are. I have had three family members pass in a month attended two funerals and am waiting for the details of the third. Am stuck here in MD in the cold (when I could be in FL in the warm) because we are the PR's for one of the deceased. Talk about headaches! but that is a story for another time. And then I go on HAL's website checking out prices etc (I'm still thinking about extending our cruise by another 7 days. And low and behold I get a shock. Our cabin has dropped by $500.00 PP! Yep you read that right $500.00, that's $1,000.00 for the two of us! (actually its more as its $1000.00 over our TA's discounted price to us. We leave on Jan 4th and after all this I am totally bummed out. I know some people will say "You were happy with the price when you booked, etc, etc." But to me right now I am just upset. I have e-mailed our TA asking if HAL will give us an additional OBC or apply the drop to the additional 7 days I am hoping to add to this cruise. Does anyone think HAL will do either?

Wow! Just read over this post and feel better already! Thanks CC friends for reading this rant. When the TA responds to my e-mail I'll post again.

I am sorry to hear about your family members - our condolences to you and your family.

Not long ago the price for our cruise dropped enough that even after factoring in the cancellation fees, it was still a significant savings for us to cancel and re-book. I don't know what cancellation coverage you purchased, but if it's feasible, that may be one option.

Oh dear, you`ve really had a horrible month. That`s a heck of a lot to deal with in such a short time.

As to the cruise - if you don`t ask you don`t get, so have your TA contact HAL. There are other CC members who insist they get a large OBC after final payment if their cruise fare drops. So there is hope.:)

So sorry for all you've been through. I've read that some people have gotten OBC's after final payment so we wish you luck. We've never had a price drop significant enough to bother with so haven't tried. Be sure to let us know and have a great cruise.

OK so here is where we are. I have had three family members pass in a month attended two funerals and am waiting for the details of the third. Am stuck here in MD in the cold (when I could be in FL in the warm) because we are the PR's for one of the deceased. Talk about headaches! but that is a story for another time. And then I go on HAL's website checking out prices etc (I'm still thinking about extending our cruise by another 7 days. And low and behold I get a shock. Our cabin has dropped by $500.00 PP! Yep you read that right $500.00, that's $1,000.00 for the two of us! (actually its more as its $1000.00 over our TA's discounted price to us. We leave on Jan 4th and after all this I am totally bummed out. I know some people will say "You were happy with the price when you booked, etc, etc." But to me right now I am just upset. I have e-mailed our TA asking if HAL will give us an additional OBC or apply the drop to the additional 7 days I am hoping to add to this cruise. Does anyone think HAL will do either?

Wow! Just read over this post and feel better already! Thanks CC friends for reading this rant. When the TA responds to my e-mail I'll post again.

If it makes you feel any better, I just got off the phone with HAL. I noticed a mistake on the web site late last nite re Carribean Sale and phoned them first thing this am to enquire about it. I was thanked for pointing this out to them and they were to notify tech support right away so any potential customers would not be disappointed that they were not getting what is advertised on the Cdn web site. I too am booked leaving Jan 4th but my cruise was included in this web site error. There is a clause when booking that most likely when booking would have made it impossible to get the sale advantages but it could be argued for sure. I asked if they were happy I pointed this out to them so quickly. They said yes. I asked if I would receive a small token for pointing thiis out to them. They said No. So that just about says it all! I really hope you get a break. Sometimes a break is all one needs to keep a customer content.

Our sincerely sympathies for your losses (and being stuck in Maryland!).

I hope you can work out some sort of deal to extend your cruise. I'm seeing near-term HAL cruises at simply incredible prices. I'm still working to pay for the cruises so can't simply jump at them. Wish I could.

Please let us know how things work out.

My condolences, that's rough. :( Five years ago this February I lost my sister and Mother within 6 days, I sincerely understand how you're feeling now. I agree with the others, do ask about the price drop. You could get some OBC or upgrade but if you don't ask you'll get nothing. Let us know. :)

Just got off the phone with TA. Bottom line = zip!!! nothing. If we want to extend we would need to pay for the 7 day separately at a very high price. NO upgrade as balconies are much higher on this sailing. But guess what? We learned our lesson. Next time don[t book after final payment, wait until the last,, last moment! Anyway we are going and are going to have a great time. Hopefully things will be stable at home while we are gone!

Just got off the phone with TA. Bottom line = zip!!! nothing. If we want to extend we would need to pay for the 7 day separately at a very high price. NO upgrade as balconies are much higher on this sailing. But guess what? We learned our lesson. Next time don[t book after final payment, wait until the last,, last moment! Anyway we are going and are going to have a great time. Hopefully things will be stable at home while we are gone!

Condolences on your losses and hope you enjoy the cruise and can relax:)

Hflors, we had booked a balcony cabin (cruise last April/May to the Mediterranean) in the lowest category on the Noordam, one of the all metal ones on Deck 4, and I found the cost had decreased by $200 after we had paid in full. I rang the TA and she rang HAL (in Sydney) and although we were not actually entitled to anything, we were offered a nice balcony cabin on Deck 6 for no extra cost. Very happy. So it can happen that you can be upgraded after paying in full. I guess it depends on who you speak to.

Ozcruizer

You've had a rough go of it; my sympathies on your losses (although I'm not sure what a PR is). I do hope you will make the most of this upcoming cruise to decompress and look forward to a sunny future.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I assume PR means Personal Representative for an estate/trust/will. Similar to an executor. Of course I could be wrong, but that is what I have seen in documents when someone has died. I have been a PR, but with modern communication and technology have never had to remain near or at the property of the deceased for a lengthy time like OP is experiencing.

I assume PR means Personal Representative for an estate/trust/will. Similar to an executor. Of course I could be wrong, but that is what I have seen in documents when someone has died. I have been a PR, but with modern communication and technology have never had to remain near or at the property of the deceased for a lengthy time like OP is experiencing.

Yes Peaches you are correct we are the PR's for the estate. What complicates matters is that for reasons I can't go into here not only are we trying to handle the estate but we have a couple of "squatters" in the property. There were two and unknown to us a third moved in. The lawyer has issued 30 day notices. We get the feeling these people are very up on tenent (squatter) laws here. Hopefully before we leave for the cruise this situation will be resolved one way or another.

Yes Peaches you are correct we are the PR's for the estate. What complicates matters is that for reasons I can't go into here not only are we trying to handle the estate but we have a couple of "squatters" in the property. There were two and unknown to us a third moved in. The lawyer has issued 30 day notices. We get the feeling these people are very up on tenent (squatter) laws here. Hopefully before we leave for the cruise this situation will be resolved one way or another.

Oh, dear. I feel so sorry for you. What a mess. I have read of the problems squatters can cause and don't understand why they have any rights in law at all. They should be forcibly evicted immediately and you shouldn't have to go through anything like this if life and law were fair.