Flight back to US from Barcelona ?

jsf

I've got a good price on a Tansatlatic cruise but we have to fly home from Spain. The best price I've seen on flights to DTW is over $5000. for two. That kinda makes the cruise price not seem to good.

Any good ideas?

J.

Try aerlingus.com routing through Dublin, Ireland. Aer Lingus have competitive one way prices and the bonus of flying through Ireland is that you pre-clear US immigration and customs there. It's fantastic not having to face long lines at the end of a long-haul flight.

Definitely look at Choice Air. They are currently offering April/May 2015 DFW-FLL//BCN-DFW fares at just over $800 pp.

For an even better deal book only BCN-DFW, currently being offered by ChoiceAir for less than $500pp, and separately book DFW (or DAL) -FLL directly. Currently DFW-FLL in April can be had for $110 -$130pp.

Thom

Definitely look at Choice Air. They are currently offering April/May 2015 DFW-FLL//BCN-DFW fares at just over $800 pp.

For an even better deal book only BCN-DFW, currently being offered by ChoiceAir for less than $500pp, and separately book DFW (or DAL) -FLL directly. Currently DFW-FLL in April can be had for $110 -$130pp.

Thom

Thanks Thom but I'm looking for DTW---- NOT DFW

For one way flights on TA's you need to go to choice air or find one of the online agencies that are somehow able to sell one way tickets at discounted rates. For some reason most of the major US based airlines only sell one way tickets at the inflated "full fare" rates that few if anyone actually pay but I've seen a couple agencies (not the more popular ones) that have lower rates on these.

I know some cruisers who regularly do both eastbound and westbound TA's every year and buy round trip tickets using half the ticket for each cruise!

Edited by Lsimon

One thing to consider is doing the throwaway fare. Book a round trip, then just cancel the return once you get home. There are many fares in April/May of 2015 for around $1100-1200 pp round trip.

But as others have suggested, check out Choice Air. I just did a search for the April 2015 Equinox transatlantic, and they are offering BCN ==> DTW for $465 USD per person one-way. You'll be hard pressed to beat that price.

We did two TA cruises on Serenade of the Seas this year and only booked the one way from BCN in the Spring and to BCN last month with BUF on this end, with RC Choice Air and got United one way flights for total cost of $429 each. Use Southwest to get to and return from MSY (NOLA) for each cruise and ended up with flight cost for each TA of less than $600 each. Pricing should be similar out of DTW.

FYI when I tried to add the domestic USA flight to the Choice Air booking for each TA cruise it more than double the flight cost.

Using the Quick Flight Search Only option allows one to can check out flight cost without having an actual cruise booked by going to

http://www.cruisingpower.com/choiceair/protected/home.do?brand=R

Edited by robtulipe

Just go to choiceair.com and click the tab for 'just looking'. I have always found GREAT fares that way, doing only one way. I am better off booking my air TO Florida on my own. Normally the choiceair rate is 1/4 of what the airlines charge. Also, I have found that once you look, the fares never vary by more than about $10 from the time I first check it out until I eventually book, even if that's months later

If you are a member of the Delta or American Airlines frequent flyer programs, check on a one-way award using miles. Delta will allow this Jan 1. AA has for some time.

Or United, or Alaska...

If your trip is before April 15 or after October 15, you can usually buy AA miles for around 2.5c per mile, and need 20,000 miles for a one-way flight between (anywhere in) Europe and (anywhere in) North America - i.e. $500.

I've got a good price on a Tansatlatic cruise but we have to fly home from Spain. The best price I've seen on flights to DTW is over $5000. for two. That kinda makes the cruise price not seem to good.

Any good ideas?

J.

Checking ITA Matrix, the cheapest price I'm seeing is 635 euros on Turkish Airlines - BCN-IST-BOS, then a codeshare on JetBlue to DTW. I do however like the idea of acquiring/buying FF miles for the one-way flight. I in fact am using miles for my O/W back after my TA on the QM2 in January.

Checking ITA Matrix, the cheapest price I'm seeing is 635 euros on Turkish Airlines - BCN-IST-BOS, then a codeshare on JetBlue to DTW. I do however like the idea of acquiring/buying FF miles for the one-way flight. I in fact am using miles for my O/W back after my TA on the QM2 in January.
And, you may be able to get a free stopover in Istanbul, which really stretches the vacation value. If you can't get the stopover, you may otherwise be able to get an Istanbul tour or a hotel night (depending on the flight details).

Great value.

Another value proposition is to look at Icelandair and the ability to have a free stopover in Reykjavik. Not a cheap option, given the cost of food/drink in Iceland, but a great experience, all on one ticket.

Thanks Thom but I'm looking for DTW---- NOT DFW
OOOPS. I need to pay more attention:o I did not price Detroit, but pricing should be similar.
This has to be another thread that got moved here from elsewhere judging by all the Choice Air fanpersons :D
Yep, this started on the Celebrity board. For those that don't know Choice Air is a subsidiary of RCCL (which owns RCI, Celebrity, Azamara, etc)

Just get a travel agent - she should be able to get you a fare of about $542 each from Barcelona to Detroit.
OP apparently is sailing Celebrity, since this was originally on that board. Celebrity customers are eligible for Choice Air, and they are quoting $77 per person LESS than that price. Don't know about you, but I'd stick the $150+ in my pocket rather than pay more to a TA.

OP apparently is sailing Celebrity, since this was originally on that board. Celebrity customers are eligible for Choice Air, and they are quoting $77 per person LESS than that price. Don't know about you, but I'd stick the $150+ in my pocket rather than pay more to a TA.

Remember....cheapest is ALWAYS better.

Never mind that you aren't getting the same ticket. It's all about saving money.

Caveat Emptor.

Remember....cheapest is ALWAYS better.

Never mind that you aren't getting the same ticket. It's all about saving money.

Caveat Emptor.

The $429 one way between BUF and BCN tickets we got twice this year from RC Choice Air were United coach fare class L that allowed us to select our seat, got us 100% award miles and could be modified with a fee payment.

These were not tickets from a consolidator.

Edited by robtulipe

The $429 one way between BUF and BCN tickets we got twice this year from RC Choice Air were United coach fare class L that allowed us to select our seat, got us 100% award miles and could be modified with a fee payment.

These were not tickets from a consolidator.

You do realize there are many dozens of fare bases beyond just the first letter each with their own fare rules and restrictions?

You do realize there are many dozens of fare bases beyond just the first letter each with their own fare rules and restrictions?

I don't know all of the in and out of air line fare class codes as I am not a travel agent. All I know is that RC Cruise Air twice this year got us decent low cost one way flights between BUF and BCN.

Here's the site I used for this info.

http://www.cwsi.net/united.htm

Edited by robtulipe

I don't know all of the in and out of air line fare class codes as I am not a travel agent.

No worries....just FYI, a fare class ("L" in your case) can have dozens of individual fares, each with their unique conditions, terms, and restrictions (called a "fare rule"). The entire fare code (such as "LD10UAK5") is required to know what you're buying. Your L-class ticket had seat selection, 100% award miles, and changeable for a fee....but another L-class ticket may not provide any of those features. When you book through an airline website and many 3rd party sites, you can read the full fare rules before purchase. The problem with many consolidator and cruise line tickets is they don't provide a fare code pre-purchase.

Airlines are watering down "features", and Delta just announced bare-bones "economy minus". Reading the full fare rules is becoming important.

Edited by kenish