Less likely to be confiscated- in carry on or checked luggage?

So excited to be at the packing stage for our FOS cruise on Sunday :)

I'm packing one of the mini-Belken surge protectors that have been recommended on here, knowing that there's a chance it may be taken. Will I have a greater chance of hanging onto it if it is carried on the ship with me or packed in the luggage that I leave with the porters?

On board Oasis now and I just had it in my backpack carry on I have the small Belkin with 3 outlets and 2 USB ports never had a problem a bigger strip with a cord may be a problem.

Thanks! That's exactly the same one I bought.

Inside the shoe is a brilliant idea :)

Depends how you pack! If you can "jumble " your stuff, it's less likely to be seen.

That said, they really don't care about a surge protector....or extension cord....not sure why you need it...plug and unplug as needed. Not a huge deal for 1 week.

Did you find this plug useful?

Extremely useful. I never charge more than 2 items at once but love the size, the USB ports, and the fact that is also a surge protector. You can charge phones, cameras, rechargeable batteries, laptops, iPads, etc.

And it swivels which comes in handy with the crazy locations of outlets on cruise ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by bigeagle12

I always take mine in my suitcase. I think only power strips with cords are confiscated.

That may be a valid observation as cords are more likely to fray and cause hazards. That said, Royal and Security personnel seem to be very consistent in their inconsistency and you never know when Barney Fife will pop up.

Why would they want to take it in the first place??

Because one of the major concerns for safety on a ship is preventing a fire. That's why coffee pots, steamers and certain other electrical items are not permitted on the ship. Its also the stated reason why there is no passenger laundry facilities on the decks.

Extension cords and power strips can be overloaded, frayed and damaged and cause fires. For those who have a need for them for things such as medical appliances, etc, the ship provides them to the passenger, so long as they are requested ahead of time.

But, as stated, there isn't always consistency in what is caught and what gets thru. You will likely find someone who says they never have a problem with an item someone else has had confiscated.

I'd carry it on. It is small and easy to carry. If they want to confiscate it, you can get it over with right then and get on with your cruise.

OTOH, if you place it in your checked bag and they want to confiscate it, your luggage is delayed and you must go downstairs, wait your turn, show the item, then take your bag to your cabin. Not onerous, but maybe not your favorite thing to do night one.

Here's my recent experience: I had an extension cord in my carry on on FOS; nobody asked to see it. A friend (different cabin) had two wine bottles in carry on; nobody asked to see those either. My two wine bottles were in a checked bag (my carry on was heavy/full enough without wine:)). No surprise, I had to go down to the "naughty room" to claim that bag. Bar guys asked if I had Cognac in there:eek:, but were instead shown allowed wine. Not too bad, but I just carry on a small item to avoid the inconvenience .

Because one of the major concerns for safety on a ship is preventing a fire. That's why coffee pots, steamers and certain other electrical items are not permitted on the ship. Its also the stated reason why there is no passenger laundry facilities on the decks.

Extension cords and power strips can be overloaded, frayed and damaged and cause fires. For those who have a need for them for things such as medical appliances, etc, the ship provides them to the passenger, so long as they are requested ahead of time.

But, as stated, there isn't always consistency in what is caught and what gets thru. You will likely find someone who says they never have a problem with an item someone else has had confiscated.

Does anyone wonder why coffee makers in the suites and kettles on cruises out of the UK are not fire hazards?

Makes sure you get the 10 watt

[ATTACH]333459[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Im on amazon atm do i choose the 1 amp or 2.1 amp?

Also cos i'm in Australia do i also need to get a conversion plug?

I've never had a power bar/cord taken.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Neither have I, and I always carry a regular bar power strip with cord. Of course, now that I think about it, I don't think I've used it in the past 3 or 4 cruises. :)

Im on amazon atm do i choose the 1 amp or 2.1 amp?

Also cos i'm in Australia do i also need to get a conversion plug?

Yes unless all of your appliances are usb driven or have US style plugs. If you have appliances with Australian plugs do not buy this one. The ship usually has US type sockets. For the adapter on the amazon site you would need as many conversion plugs as the adaptor has US sockets otherwise you might as well just use the conversion plugs.

Probably better options would be the australian belkin versions like this one http://www.i-tech.com.au/items.aspx?id=173005&gclid=Cj0KEQiA5K-kBRDZ9r71gOvlxOMBEiQAwkK52JjzkXU0Pjib5_ScFs_HP0uF9qFBk9XsOnK_QwKJWuoaApIH8P8HAQ). With this one you would plug it into a single Australia/US converter which would plug into the ships power supply. (This one has the advantage that it is useful for domestic travel as well)

Another option is http://www.dicksmith.com.au/adaptors-power/korjo-usa-travel-double-adaptor-dsau-m7329. With this one you don't need the Australia/US converter but you do need one or more australian USB plugs to plug into it.

Or you can buy several cheap Australia/US converters and plug your normal adaptors into them

Edited by jenibor

Yes unless all of your appliances are usb driven or have US style plugs. If you have appliances with Australian plugs do not buy this one. The ship usually has US type sockets. For the adapter on the amazon site you would need as many conversion plugs as the adaptor has US sockets otherwise you might as well just use the conversion plugs.

Probably better options would be the australian belkin versions like this one http://www.i-tech.com.au/items.aspx?id=173005&gclid=Cj0KEQiA5K-kBRDZ9r71gOvlxOMBEiQAwkK52JjzkXU0Pjib5_ScFs_HP0uF9qFBk9XsOnK_QwKJWuoaApIH8P8HAQ). With this one you would plug it into a single Australia/US converter which would plug into the ships power supply. (This one has the advantage that it is useful for domestic travel as well)

Another option is http://www.dicksmith.com.au/adaptors-power/korjo-usa-travel-double-adaptor-dsau-m7329. With this one you don't need the Australia/US converter but you do need one or more australian USB plugs to plug into it.

Or you can buy several cheap Australia/US converters and plug your normal adaptors into them

Thanks so much for that info!! :)