Cruising pregnant + 2-night cruises

Most people are feeling pretty good by that point in their pregnancy. Just make sure to keep up the fluids as cruise food and the environment in general is a little saltier than you might realize. And recognize that if anything does happen to go wrong, the ship isn't equipped to perform ultrasounds or do anything to try and prevent a loss.

Daughter cruised early (10 weeks) in her pregnancy. She liked that there was food available most all day as she felt better eating smaller but more frequent meals. Naturally she was very tired but the cruise was a perfect place to relax.

As for the formal night question - While I have never been on a 2 night cruise, I cant imagine there is a formal night.

Good luck and best wishes.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

The only time the policy matters is if you feel that your vacation is more important than your pregnancy. I have been caring for premature and sick newborns for 27 years. Pregnancy is a wonderful but not a risk free condition.

What do you mean exactly?

The only time the policy matters is if you feel that your vacation is more important than your pregnancy. I have been caring for premature and sick newborns for 27 years. Pregnancy is a wonderful but not a risk free condition.

I'm not arguing with the statement about prematurity but that particular issue is moot while cruising, as technically you aren't allowed to go if you reach viability before or during the cruise. (I say technically as the documentation requirements for this have changed)

Prior to that point, it's a personal judgement call in my book. You just have to understand that the available medical facilities aren't capable of treating problems with the pregnancy, should any arise.

Edited by PuterMonkey

I was 11 weeks on my first cruise- a 7 day- and had no problems. Enjoyed myself very much, particularly, as someone mentioned- the nearly 24/7 food. Any time baby (now almost 12) was hungry it was no problem.

My Dr. did wish I was a bit further along (just those couple weeks you will be), but shrugged and told me to have fun. The cruise was planned way before the kid :D I did do a yoga class on board- but had been doing so for quite some time, which they questioned. Had I been a newbie I think they would have asked me not to. Another gal in the class was 24 weeks.

So-control what you can control. Take it easy, use common sense and have a good time. Anything else is in other hands!

What is the new policy? I thought that it was still before entering the 24th week, but that's based on the website. If that has changed, I didn't get the memo!

The 24 weeks is still the same but a Dr's note is no longer required.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2090012&highlight=pregnancy

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your inquiry.

We no longer require our pregnant guests to submit a fit to travel letter from the doctor. Since this is a new change made to our pregnancy policy it has not been updated on our website as yet, our team is currently working on this change. We are still requiring our guests to be under the 24 weeks of pregnancy in order to sail. Our guests cannot be entering, or have entered, the 24th week of pregnancy at the time during the sailing or cruise tour.

Guests will be required to fill out a Public Health Questionnaire at the pier. Towards the bottom of the questionnaire is where you will find the pregnancy subject, we have attached a copy of the questionnaire you will receive at the pier for your convenience.

We do appreciate your understanding and cooperation to our new changes. We look forward to welcoming you onboard!

If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Access Staff

Nicole

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I'm not arguing with the statement about prematurity but that particular issue is moot while cruising, as technically you aren't allowed to go if you reach viability before or during the cruise. (I say technically as the documentation requirements for this have changed)

Prior to that point, it's a personal judgement call in my book. You just have to understand that the available medical facilities aren't capable of treating problems with the pregnancy, should any arise.

Technically, viability of a fetus WHEN IN REACH OF A NEONATAL INTENSIVE CARE UNIT, is about 23 weeks gestation. Naturally most 23 weekers do not survive, even in ideal situations. Between 23 and approximately 32 weeks gestation, if someone was to deliver, and say at sea, it is would be extremely unlikely to have a good outcome. Even more mature at up to 36 weeks, the outcome may not be good. There are so many variables involved. I really don't know what type of ventilators that they have on a ship and whether the vent has pediatric function but you really have to know what you are doing.

I don't want to sound like a paranoid Debbie downer but there are risks associated with cruising while pregnant and I guess my experience is skewed by the worst case scenerio. Most pregnancies result in a joyous event and only about 10% of babies require intensive care. Your doctors' advice is always your guide.

We had a cruise scheduled for when I was 25 weeks pregnant, and I sadly had to cancel it. :-(

With that said, I was probably in no position to cruise most of my pregnancy. I was sick every morning well into second trimester and was a very picky eater. I also had some issues that would have made it dangerous for both myself and baby if anything went wrong, even as unlikely as it was, that became apparent around 20 weeks.

With that said, I would probably be willing to travel very early on in my pregnancy, even feeling sick, if it were a short cruise and not a crazy itinerary. 2 night cruise? I would probably do that at 13 weeks, but ask the doctor first!!

Edited by roseshayit

If you appear to be pregnant, they are likely to ask for a Dr's note, stating you are "fit to travel". At 13 weeks, you are well before the stage where you won't be allowed to cruise, no matter how fit you are!

Not according to an October 2014 RCI email repsonse to qa uestion about "Fit to Travel" note:

Good day,

Thank you for contacting us in regards to your inquiry. Our policy has recently changed and we no longer require a fit to travel letter. You will only be required to fill out a Public Health Questionnaire when you arrive at the pier.

Best regards,

Access Staff

Anisah

[THREAD ID:1-1ZQUH7S]

Technically, viability of a fetus WHEN IN REACH OF A NEONATAL INTENSIVE CARE UNIT, is about 23 weeks gestation. Naturally most 23 weekers do not survive, even in ideal situations. Between 23 and approximately 32 weeks gestation, if someone was to deliver, and say at sea, it is would be extremely unlikely to have a good outcome. Even more mature at up to 36 weeks, the outcome may not be good. There are so many variables involved. I really don't know what type of ventilators that they have on a ship and whether the vent has pediatric function but you really have to know what you are doing.

I don't want to sound like a paranoid Debbie downer but there are risks associated with cruising while pregnant and I guess my experience is skewed by the worst case scenerio. Most pregnancies result in a joyous event and only about 10% of babies require intensive care. Your doctors' advice is always your guide.

Please understand I meant no offense. My point was that nobody is trying to argue about whether they should be cruising late in pregnancy. The OP will barely be at the end of the first trimester. Should anything unfortunate occur, at that stage it's probably nothing that could be prevented anyway.

Cruise ships aren't equipped to handle premature infants and the potential liability there is exactly why they don't want people cruising at that stage.

Edited by PuterMonkey

Right. And you're not allowed to cruise once you've entered your 24th week. So it's all moot. You won't be getting on that ship anyway.

OP I was like 2 minutes pregnant (officially 2 then 3 weeks, or something like that...no, 3, then 4 weeks at disembarkation... by the ridiculous count-from-the-cycle method) and I was miserable. I smelled EVERYTHING, and this was when in-stateroom smoking was allowed. I was broiling hot, my bras didn't fit, and waistbands were my nemesis. I am incredibly sensitive to hormones, apparently. I was such a furnace that DH almost asked them to separate the beds. I should mention that it was our honeymoon, LOL. (we had a week before the cruise at home, and apparently we used that time well)

I'm not sure I would purposely do it again, but not everyone is as miserable as I was the entire time.

Seabands would have been my friends, except they were so tight they made me crazy. Sigh.

I was somewhere around 12-15 weeks prego when I did a 2 night cruise. I usually get sea sick (and car sick) and I was more sea sick on that cruise. I didn't really get any pregnancy nausea after week 6 either... I tried to do ginger drops to be healthier but I didn't make it out of cell phone range before I had to take a Dramamine :) I also had a 25 lb weight restriction. So I just had to make sure my travel companion lifted my luggage for me. I also kept a dr note and had them hand check me instead of going through the metal detectors. I had no problems do this through my pregnancy.

26 years ago I went on a 3 day cruise at about 16 weeks. No issues. Had a lot of nausea before cruise but felt great on cruise. Now have a 26 year old daughter who loves to cruise. So it must have agreed with her.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app