Oceania dumbing down?

lande

Certainly...we need to wait and see. As many have said, Norwegian would dilute their investment by messing with the model.

Exploding the quality of a call center would not be smart idea.

The latest corporate communication from Norwegian emphasizes the "don't fix what ain't broke."

web3.jpg

Let's hope. On Regatta last week I talked about it with Captain McNeill and he assured me in private, as he assured us all at the Oceania Club Cocktail Party, that NCL would never sink that much money into purchasing Oceania only to change the brand. He said there were many changes for those working for Oceania, but that he did not believe we, the passengers, would feel anything in a negative way. He said that it would help to add ships to the fleet.

One change that affected both Captain McNeill and GM Magnato greatly was neither of them could have a drop of alcohol the entire cruise. This is an NCL policy that took place immediately aboard Oceania ships. They had ginger ale for all the toasts. I thought the least Oceania could do is provide non-alcoholic champagne which is readily available and at least gives the feel of champagne. As a non-drinker I've had it often and really like it:)

Edited by HeatherInFlorida

I wonder if the people questioning the veracity of posters who dare express less than complete love of their Oceania experience realize just how much they turn others off to the cruise line?

And as for the treatment of newbies, it's cruel.

It is a common situation in any circumstance (polling, suggestion boxes, forums) that people are more likely to take the trouble to comment when something has gone wrong. Does not mean they should be doubted because they haven't first written 2,000 comments extolling rapturous experiences.

This post got me thinking- if I cancelled every time I talked to someone in customer service that was uninterested, tired, or bored with my questions I pretty sure I wouldn't have TV cable, charge cards, checking, car, phone, power, and EVERYTHING else I own!!!!!!!

Very well said.

One change that affected both Captain McNeill and GM Magnato greatly was neither of them could have a drop of alcohol the entire cruise. This is an NCL policy that took place immediately aboard Oceania ships. They had ginger ale for all the toasts. I thought the least Oceania could do is provide non-alcoholic champagne which is readily available and at least gives the feel of champagne. As a non-drinker I've had it often and really like it:)

Maybe My view is tainted, but this seems unusually harsh. Not even a beer on a 14 day or longer cruise?? This seems counter to the many other cruise lines we have been on. Also, will this be a negative recruiting good officers.

Wonder if this is an over-reaction to Costa's Concordia's Captain?

Edited by kiawahdon

Maybe My view is tainted, but this seems unusually harsh. Not even a beer on a 14 day or longer cruise?? This seems counter to the many other cruise lines we have been on. Also, will this be a negative recruiting good officers.

Come to think of it, that could be for the whole length of their contract; since they are working every day of their contracts, even on turnaround days.

Edited by MVPinBoynton

Okay, airline pilots are prohibited from imbibing a certain amount of time before they fly. So I can see that officers on duty on a ship should also be alcohol free when on duty, or even before they go on duty.

But 24/7? Is that correct? It doesn't seem right.

My recollection is that on occasions when we dined at the captain's table (not very often!), he had wine along with us. (Did said captain ever drink too much? Nope, although he did make sure that our glasses were full!)

But it's true that a captain and his officers need to be completely sober when on duty!

Which just brought up another question, which I don't think need to be answered. It seems to me that airlines have some female captains. Do any cruise ships have female captains? I've never seen any!

Mura

Which just brought up another question, which I don't think need to be answered. It seems to me that airlines have some female captains. Do any cruise ships have female captains? I've never seen any!

Mura

Apparently there are ;)

https://suite.io/renee-ruggero/5k9k21s

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/08/28/silversea-female-captain-margrith-ettlin/2714141/

Edited by LHT28

Come to think of it, that could be for the whole length of their contract; since they are working every day of their contracts, even on turnaround days.

We thought it was very harsh too. I asked him if he could have a drink if he was ashore/off duty so to speak. He said no. He said they can test for alcohol anytime they return to the ship so it's a chance they will not take.

It's been an NCL policy but I have no idea how long it's been in force. Could well be a reaction to the Concordia disaster..

I'm sure the passengers on the Insignia were glad that the captain was completely sober when the fire broke out!

Mary

I'm sure the passengers on the Insignia were glad that the captain was completely sober when the fire broke out!

Mary

Since the Insignia was docked at the time, the captain could have not been on the ship when the fire broke out (although he was). IMO this rule fits in with the Sheehans image.:o

Some captains on Oceania/Regent were self-imposing this rule on themselves before the NCL merger. We had dinner with the captain the last time we were on Regent Navigator and the captain, despite being French and loving his wine, drank only water during the meal and said he never drank either on or off the ship as long as he was in command of the ship.

We thought it was very harsh too. I asked him if he could have a drink if he was ashore/off duty so to speak. He said no. He said they can test for alcohol anytime they return to the ship so it's a chance they will not take.

It's been an NCL policy but I have no idea how long it's been in force. Could well be a reaction to the Concordia disaster..

Harsh???? NO when you are responsible for hundreds of lives.

Very good move on the part of management. Thank you.

I have been cruising with O since 2006 and am nearly up to my 20th cruise.

Over the years I have become a very loyal Oceania cruiser.

But, having said that, I have also had many problems with Head Office.

I have given up trying to get a satisfactory response from them, or at times any response, and so I believe the Miami office lets the rest of the company down badly.

But I choose to grit my teeth and continue to cruise as I love the ships - others may not?

However, I do agree with some of the comments regarding attitudes towards anyone who complains about Oceania.

Negative comments are merely that and should be taken as such.

We all have a right to our opinions and also have the right to contest claims made by others, but the manner in which this is carried out can sometimes seem confrontational.

Nothing is perfect and that goes for Oceania as well.

Edited by 2kiwis

Please note I was agreeing with another poster who used the word "harsh" ... might not be the exact word I would choose, but close enough.

I guess I would agree with you if I thought there was no way to control drinking by officers on the ships. What I felt was "harsh" (or a better word might be extreme) was not allowing them to even have a glass of champagne for the welcome aboard toast, the farewell, and other such events. I hardly think a glass of champagne is going to put hundreds of lives at risk.

And I'm an alcoholic sober now for 27 years. I well know the many dangers of alcohol.

For the Captain, maybe, but the new regime has the Cruise Directors adhering to the same policy-

Completely Ridiculous.

Even I could not sit and look at us (you know who you are), cruise after cruise after cruise, without a cocktail!

They're going to lose some very good people over this. :(

For the Captain, maybe, but the new regime has the Cruise Directors adhering to the same policy-

Completely Ridiculous.

Even I could not sit and look at us (you know who you are), cruise after cruise after cruise, without a cocktail!

They're going to lose some very good people over this. :(

I really so wish CC had a "like" button :)

+1 This is one of many reasons why, IMO, many Oceania and Regent officers and crew will be lost. We have never seen an officer have more than a sip of two of wine at dinner. I'm starting to wonder when Richard Branson's new cruise line will be ready to sail. Somehow I think this would be a good match for current employees of PCH.

+1 This is one of many reasons why, IMO, many Oceania and Regent officers and crew will be lost. We have never seen an officer have more than a sip of two of wine at dinner. I'm starting to wonder when Richard Branson's new cruise line will be ready to sail. Somehow I think this would be a good match for current employees of PCH.

It is anticipated that it will sail out of FLL/MIA in 2018. Too bad both ships will be 4200 pax.