Just off Vision and Pleasantly Surprised

Podie

Embarkation was as bad as everyone has said. It took us (son, his girlfriend, and I) one hour and 55 minutes to get onto the ship, and then no food was available "so we can prepare for the muster drill." That was 45 minutes before muster, which was mercifully short. No edible food was available until 5 pm.

That's the end of the bad. A double rainbow lit up the sky and I was sure things would improve, and they did.

Our aft balcony (purchased as a guaranty) was wonderful, with plenty of room for the 3 of us. Our cabin attendant, Ruan, was equally wonderful. The Windjammer, Park Cafe, and MDR food (late set dining) were all good and sometimes very good. Seafood was done expecially well.

There were plenty of bar servers but not too many picking up all the used plates, cups, and glasses left behind. Some of the hallways smelled a little in places and it was time to replace the carpeting in the hallways. I thought everything else was very well kept.

The cruise director, Steve Davis, was everywhere, taking part in everything. He was a riot. The 70's disco party was lots of fun as usual, but with Steve as one of the Village People, it was hilarious. Captain Lis, who is half Japanese and half Danish, was friendly and very approachable.

The comedian was funny and the production show called Boogie Wonderland was extremely well done. The performers had great voices and moves. I rarely go to the shows because I'm usually disappointed, but this show had the audience rocking.

The weather was wonderful - max seas of ONE METER - and our ports were Roatan (scuba dived), Belize (ziplined), Cozumel (Mr. Sanchos, which was not half as good as Nachi Cocum), and Costa Maya (Maya Chan Beach). All were nice. I used Island Marketing for the first time and was pleased with the tour.

All the staff was friendly and helpful, and the people at Cafe Latte-tudes were especially wonderful. After the bad reviews I read, Vision of the Seas was a most pleasant surprise and I would certainly go on her again.

Embarkation was as bad as everyone has said. It took us (son, his girlfriend, and I) one hour and 55 minutes to get onto the ship, and then no food was available "so we can prepare for the muster drill." That was 45 minutes before muster, which was mercifully short. No edible food was available until 5 pm.

That's the end of the bad. A double rainbow lit up the sky and I was sure things would improve, and they did.

Our aft balcony (purchased as a guaranty) was wonderful, with plenty of room for the 3 of us. Our cabin attendant, Ruan, was equally wonderful. The Windjammer, Park Cafe, and MDR food (late set dining) were all good and sometimes very good. Seafood was done expecially well.

There were plenty of bar servers but not too many picking up all the used plates, cups, and glasses left behind. Some of the hallways smelled a little in places and it was time to replace the carpeting in the hallways. I thought everything else was very well kept.

The cruise director, Steve Davis, was everywhere, taking part in everything. He was a riot. The 70's disco party was lots of fun as usual, but with Steve as one of the Village People, it was hilarious. Captain Lis, who is half Japanese and half Danish, was friendly and very approachable.

The comedian was funny and the production show called Boogie Wonderland was extremely well done. The performers had great voices and moves. I rarely go to the shows because I'm usually disappointed, but this show had the audience rocking.

The weather was wonderful - max seas of ONE METER - and our ports were Roatan (scuba dived), Belize (ziplined), Cozumel (Mr. Sanchos, which was not half as good as Nachi Cocum), and Costa Maya (Maya Chan Beach). All were nice. I used Island Marketing for the first time and was pleased with the tour.

All the staff was friendly and helpful, and the people at Cafe Latte-tudes were especially wonderful. After the bad reviews I read, Vision of the Seas was a most pleasant surprise and I would certainly go on her again.

Thanks for the review. :)

Did you dive with the ship or make your own arrangements?

What was the water temp and the air temp? I will be diving in Roatan, Cozumel and hopefully Costa Maya.

If I can't dive with SEa Sports Belize, then I won't dive. I won't pay the cruise line price.

Did you book the ziplining through the cruise line or privately?

How much did it cost?

If I can't dive Belize, ziplining sounds totally awesome.

Terri

What was the water temp and the air temp? I will be diving in Roatan, Cozumel and hopefully Costa Maya.

If I can't dive with SEa Sports Belize, then I won't dive. I won't pay the cruise line price.

How much did it cost?

Terri

I don't book anything thru the ship. Water temp in Roatan was about 80. I would not dive with Subway Watersports again. It's too far away and the reef there is pretty beat up, very little fish. I booked the ziplining through Island Marketing Ltd which then used X-Stream Belize. It was $70 including lunch but it was 45 minutes each way. Because we had to wait for the people who zipped AND cave tubed (also an option), we didn't get back until 3 pm. But it was GREAT, we zipped over a deep gorge as well as a river. The water in Cozumel and Costa Maya was a little cooler, about 77, 78.

Thinking of biting the bullet on an aft balcony on Vision of the Seas as well. Did they have lounge chairs on the balcony since you had more space? How were the beds?

I was in 7156 and it was a really nice cabin. The balcony had 2 chairs, 1 table, and 2 lounge chairs. I thought the beds were fine but I've been in the military so I can sleep on anything!

The Tampa Bay area has been having zero visibility fog days the last few weeks. Was fog a factor in your delay in boarding the ship?

Hi,

I hope the OP will give you an answer ........

I was on the same sailing ...... yes, fog was a factor on our boarding day.

OP: what time did you arrive at the terminal? We usually get there around 11 am and

have not had a problem getting through the terminal and onto the ship in Tampa in a timely manner.

Maybe things have changed?

Edited by island lady

I was also on the 12/13-20 cruise on Vision. We arrived at the terminal around 11:15 and did not experience any delays in boarding. I agree that Steve Davis and Magic Marvin were wonderful. We ate at Chops one night, and in the main dining room the other nights. Chops is always good, in my opinion. The main dining room was hit or miss with the food arriving typically lukewarm, though our service team was great. The windjammer was the only option for lunch most days, so I ate there more than I usually would. I have to say that the staff/crew were great, but the food was terribly bland and generally overcooked/dry and served less than lukewarm. They served cold hamburgers the first day at lunch - apparently just out of the refrigerator, though they were in the warming tray. I'd recommend Park Café anytime it is an option versus windjammer. They'll toast your Panini for you and though that won't warm it up, it does provide some texture to the bread. My last cruise on Royal was 3 years ago, and there's a noticeable difference in food quality and flavor in the windjammer. No one is going to starve on board, but you may not be satisfied with the quality.

I was also on the 12/13-20 cruise on Vision. We arrived at the terminal around 11:15 and did not experience any delays in boarding. I agree that Steve Davis and Magic Marvin were wonderful. We ate at Chops one night, and in the main dining room the other nights. Chops is always good, in my opinion. The main dining room was hit or miss with the food arriving typically lukewarm, though our service team was great. The windjammer was the only option for lunch most days, so I ate there more than I usually would. I have to say that the staff/crew were great, but the food was terribly bland and generally overcooked/dry and served less than lukewarm. They served cold hamburgers the first day at lunch - apparently just out of the refrigerator, though they were in the warming tray. I'd recommend Park Café anytime it is an option versus windjammer. They'll toast your Panini for you and though that won't warm it up, it does provide some texture to the bread. My last cruise on Royal was 3 years ago, and there's a noticeable difference in food quality and flavor in the windjammer. No one is going to starve on board, but you may not be satisfied with the quality.

As I read these two reviews of the same Vision cruise, it reminds me about how subjective food reviews from people are.....which is why I take the reviews people give about food, with a huge grain of salt.

As far as the production show Boogie Wonderland is concerned -- I have seen it on several Royal cruises and it is wonderful. If it is on a cruise you are on -- take it in!

How much did it cost?

Terri

Hi Terri I meet you and your friend David on Monarch in Dec about 3or 4 yrs ago. you were in the balcony next to ours and you introduce Jim and I to the Daiquiri's in Nassau. Hope you have a great cruise. Just got off Brilliance last week. Pat

Looking forward to our cruise on Vision next month - first RCCL and first Aft! Did you do any specialty dining?

Booked an aft as well. Are you on the Jan 31 cruise, perhaps? This is not my first aft, but prepare to be spoiled by the size of the balcony.