Formal night...another way of Holland America getting cheaper?

Riversedge

I love formal nights. I don't mind getting dressed up. I dress up for dinner every night anyways, it's just a matter of a fancy dress or regular dress. That part makes no difference to me or my husband. We just got our documents for our 49 day cruise. On the normal schedule for cruising (one formal night for a 7 night cruise) I was expecting anywhere from 10-14 formal nights. On a previous 30 day cruise we had 8 formal nights. On this 49 day cruise we only have 8. That's an average of one every 6 days.

The reason I love formal nights is the food. I love the lobster, the filet, and those type of fancy meals. I'm normally a down-home meat and potato type eater so the weird food they serve other nights is often....weird. I love formal night because there's always something on the menu that I'm excited about having.

To me, this seems like another way of Holland America saving money. Because this cruise is more of an expensive specialty cruise I wasn't expecting less than status quo. I know some of you would say "great, that's one less night for me to dress up, blah, blah, blah" but please don't turn this into a fashion thread. I'm more concerned that this is another way things are going downhill.

I love formal nights. I don't mind getting dressed up. I dress up for dinner every night anyways, it's just a matter of a fancy dress or regular dress. That part makes no difference to me or my husband. We just got our documents for our 49 day cruise. On the normal schedule for cruising (one formal night for a 7 night cruise) I was expecting anywhere from 10-14 formal nights. On a previous 30 day cruise we had 8 formal nights. On this 49 day cruise we only have 8. That's an average of one every 6 days.

The reason I love formal nights is the food. I love the lobster, the filet, and those type of fancy meals. I'm normally a down-home meat and potato type eater so the weird food they serve other nights is often....weird. I love formal night because there's always something on the menu that I'm excited about having.

To me, this seems like another way of Holland America saving money. Because this cruise is more of an expensive specialty cruise I wasn't expecting less than status quo. I know some of you would say "great, that's one less night for me to dress up, blah, blah, blah" but please don't turn this into a fashion thread. I'm more concerned that this is another way things are going downhill.

I don't think it is a cost cutting measure. HAL had the new formal night schedule on their website and it was posted here at the time.

I think they are trying to find a 1/2 way point to appease those that don't care to dress up so much and those that do. JMO. It also depends upon your itinerary. If you are in port until late or overnight, they are not going to have a formal night.

I like dressing up too, but with the port intensive cruise we had on our last 30 day cruise, I was happy when the formal nights were decreased by one. There are only so many days you can have a successful formal night when the itinerary is busy.

Also because gone are the days passengers could take 1 or 2 big/heavy suitcases for free in an airplane.

That excuse is a red herring, as one has to bring something to wear at night.

It's just as easy to bring something that meets the HAL definition of "formal" as it is to bring something that's "smart casual". It's the same amount of clothing, and if you choose wisely, you can bring "formal" things that weigh less than "smart casual".

I'm not so sure lobster and filet are the definition of "fancy" food any longer.

Most of the high quality foodie restaurants in the city where I live serve more along the lines of the dishes I presume you are referring to as "weird."

Don't get me wrong, I love a good lobster (although it's debatable as to whether what's served onboard always meets the definition of a good lobster). But I think one could argue that it's not really fancy food, as it seems best when served in more informal settings where one can really dig in and get messy.

Edited by cruisemom42

DH and I like to dress up too, but we find that we are in the minarity. It seems even on formal night many of the passengers attending the show or walking around the ship have already changed back into shorts after dinner.

I agree about the food..........have you read the lobster thread? But I like you am a meat and potato eater, with nothing weird, and DO look forward to Prime Rib and more special menu selections.

I guess the major shows that would have been performed during formal nights can now be replaced with a single act like a comic, many will not go thus reducing drink sales.

As for saving money, what about the photographers? Most people will buy the formal shots..........so in my opinion they are losing money in that respect also.

We always dress for dinner.........no capris for me, no kackis for DH. Wear what you want and want what you wear.:D

Have a great cruise.

I think they definitely saved a lot of money on our recent 42-day cruise on Maasdam - we had only 6 formal nights, and they also managed to have them on the same nights as the Cellar Master's dinners or Le Cirque, so the passengers who attended those dinners missed the formal night dinners. I had lobster and steak only once, another night they had lobster thermidor, which had something like 3 bites of lobster in a mass of sauce. I don't remember seeing escargots ever, but they might have served them on nights we were dining elsewhere. The menu seems to have been reduced as well on ordinary nights, with the three "every day" items lumped with two vegetarian dishes and perhaps another three choices. After one try of the "every day" steak, we never ate it again. Quite tough and tasteless. The salmon was good when cooked properly. We found we ate more dinners in the Lido than ever before, and many times the open seating dining room was half empty - or half full, if you look at it that way!:)

I agree - more and more people want fewer formal nights. Thus HAL wants to keep as many people happy as possible.

We also have seen some strange dishes in the main dining room.

DH agrees with you completely about the strange dishes. I, on the other hand, thought the food was great on our last cruise, but I choose mostly fish. I even tried vegetarian spa cuisine 2 nights, and the chilies relleno dish was excellent!

Karen

Maybe it was because my recent 18 night cruise was a reposition but there were only 4 formals and only 2 featured lobster (I omit the previous 4 nights because it was a mini cruise and not only had no formals but tiny portions). Dined in the MDR every night save one whent he ship overnighted in Lima/Callao. Escargots only on the last night (at sea?) when the international menu was featured.

Maybe not only at customer request but an excuse to save at the save time.

Edited by cruising cockroach

The combination of the MDR noise level, the slow service, and the declining quality of the food and the food preparation have eroded the experience for us.

These, combined with our unwillingness to pack clothes for a few nights out of an extended land trip and cruise have erased any desire that we had to attend the events.

But for those who do enjoy it, I do not think that it is a cost savings for the cruise line...perhaps even the opposite. From what we can see, the formal evening menu items can hardly 'stretch' the cruise line per diem food budget. I would suspect the cruise line sells less wine, fewer pre dinner drinks, and fewer photos when they delete a formal evening from the cruise.

Edited by iancal

It's just as easy to bring something that meets the HAL definition of "formal" as it is to bring something that's "smart casual". It's the same amount of clothing, and if you choose wisely, you can bring "formal" things that weigh less than "smart casual".

That may be true for the ladies, but not for men. If I didn't have to pack a suit, dress shirts, tie, and black shoes, just think how many extra pairs of shoes the DW could slip into my suitcase.

I predict that the days of the traditional MDR and "formal nights"are numbered. I think that what P&O is doing with the two HAL ships will be way of the future. NCL and RCCL are already heading in that direction with new builds. P&O is closing up the big open area in the center and changing it to multiple venues on two decks.

More "smaller" restaurants. more choice on types of food, and I'm sure more of them will be surcharge restaurants. Perhaps one or two with "formal" dress.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the Lido is the only "included" dining option- everything else surcharge or a' la carte dining.

Edited by frankc98376

No red herring for us either. We leave in two weeks. Our cruise is Feb. 20. In between it will be primarily island hopping/beach wear in Thailand and Malaysia. We will have many modes of travel but mostly ferry and mini bus. No one to handle your luggage but you. So we only pack what we absolutely need because neither of us can easily handle anything bigger/heavier than a 20/21 inch case.

Besides, why on earth would we carry dress shoes, jacket, etc. to use for a few hours on three nights out of ten-twelve weeks simply to attend a very mediocre dining experience?

I think what you pack very much depends on where you are travelling, your modes of travel, and how much you can physically handle.

Not everyone who cruises leaves home, takes a cab to the airport, and then a cab to the hotel or cruise ship and does the reverse at the end of the cruise.

Edited by iancal

I disagree with Ruth and agree with Ine, packing "Formal" wear is heavier, with Formal wear, there is always that extra pair of shoes possibly two to match the dresses, also several of what I consider my formal clothes are heavier with jeweled and beaded clothing. Then there is the extra jewelry I bring. Then next is Tom, there is the Tux, in additional to that is his tux shoes, shirts and vests and the items that goes with the tux such as the button things on his tux shirt. My last two cruises were on NCL our luggage was the lightest it has even been and the easiest to pack. In all honesty I am dreading packing for our HAL Volendam cruise in May. After all these years of cruises frankly I am done with "Formal Night" and wish HAL would give it up as well.

To me doing a 49 day cruise would be bad enough to pack for but to plan for 8 Formal nights. :eek: Granted at one point I would have to repeat a dress or two But to me that is just more to pack. Many Many times what I wear during the day looks quite nice to wear for evening as well so NO I do not pack or wear something different at night.

I honestly do NOT believe it has anything to do with HAL saving money -BUT responding to people who are saying they don't appreciate TOO many formal nights when AIRLINES charge what tey charge for extra baggage and responding to people who say "I work/dress up DAILY -lets NOT demand that TOO much"

I honestly believe HAL is very responsive to the MAJORITY......The LONGER cruises on HAL are especially nice; we've done a World and 4 Asia/Australia etc - They are really SPECIAL; Enjoy yours!

Anne ;)

Luggage restrictions are a valid reason to dislike formal nights. I see fewer and fewer participants in this old ritual, except on Prinsendam which many long term HAL customers sail. Airline restrictions are a valid reason to limit luggage and if you check a bag there is no assurance your bag will be at the arrival airport. Our luggage has been lost on more than one recent trip. formal attire is an extra ensemble of clothing and it is not just as easy if it takes up more room.

I agree HAL is listening to customers, they are losing business to lines that don't require formal wear. People still dress nicely for dinner, but who needs suits, ties, tuxes, dresses, dress shoes and accessories.

Edited by sammiedawg

We are long time RCI cruisers, with all the upper tier perks, but HAL has some itineraries that are super interesting. The Formal night issue is what keeps us from using HAL. We dress modern and classy for our age, but never formal. I might bring a jacket but not a suit and no ties.

I respect the cruisers who want to carry on a tradition, but after reading many posts on this site, it discourages me from booking HAL. As I refuse to eat in the nightly buffet or other non formal venues on a cruise ship.

I wish, even RCI, would just call it dress up night, and enforce just basic wearable, which most cruise lines have in place.

People still dress nicely for dinner, but who needs suits, ties, tuxes, dresses, dress shoes and accessories.

You don't like those items, don't wear them.

But please do not try to bring the rest of us down to the lowest common denominator by saying "who needs this?" We need them! We like proper clothes and will continue to wear them when the occasion calls for them.

We are long time RCI cruisers, with all the upper tier perks, but HAL has some itineraries that are super interesting. The Formal night issue is what keeps us from using HAL.

I wouldn't worry that much about the formal nights. We don't like them either because our cruises are part of a longer land trip where too much luggage is a hindrance. I wear black linen pants and some sort of nice top with a scarf or interesting jewelry. Everything can be combined with other clothes. Shoes are black.

DH has stopped dragging black shoes along. He wears light colored dress pants, a jacket and a tie. Sometimes we go to the buffet or specialty restaurant. I don't really like it, but once in while it's ok. We also cruise on Oceania which has no formal nights.

It's not required to dress formally on formal night. I don't understand what some people have against formal night. If you don't want to wear formal attire, then don't! But some people do like to get "dressed up". It's part of what we like about cruising.

It's not required to dress formally on formal night. I don't understand what some people have against formal night. If you don't want to wear formal attire, then don't! But some people do like to get "dressed up". It's part of what we like about cruising.

We just give the MDR a miss on formal night. We usually have to pack for 10 weeks and fly for 24 hours. It is relatively easy for ladies to dress nicely but my DH refuses to pack a "formal" jacket for a few nights.

Edited by Stratheden