Quick question about self-assist disembarkation

SnowshoeCat

Can self-assist people get off at anytime, or do they have to be ready right at the start? I've always done self-assist, sometimes because of an early flight, and sometimes because I just want to hit the road. I pack light and have no problems handling my luggage.

On my next cruise, I have a later flight and for a change, I'd like to not rush around in the morning. Since I won't have a "zone" assignment, will I be able to just hang out for a bit longer and leave when I'm ready?

Can self-assist people get off at anytime, or do they have to be ready right at the start? I've always done self-assist, sometimes because of an early flight, and sometimes because I just want to hit the road. I pack light and have no problems handling my luggage.

On my next cruise, I have a later flight and for a change, I'd like to not rush around in the morning. Since I won't have a "zone" assignment, will I be able to just hang out for a bit longer and leave when I'm ready?

AFAIK, self-assist you must debark at the beginning of the process. They really don't want people lugging suitcases around when the large groups of people are trying to get off.

Okay, thanks. I suppose that makes sense (even though I only have a carry-on, but they don't know that). I'll plan accordingly.

I'd hazard a guess, as long as you only have a carry on, they won't even notice if you wait to debark. I could be wrong. We did self assist on our cruise and had to be off early (we had 1 checked bag).

Okay, thanks. I suppose that makes sense (even though I only have a carry-on, but they don't know that). I'll plan accordingly.

If all you have is a carry-on & a purse. You will blend in with everyone. We all get off with some sort of bag for our PJ & last minute stuff. Take your time relax & enjoy that last few hr's. We always go to the DR for breakfast since the Lido is a ZOO.

Char

If all you have is a carry-on & a purse. You will blend in with everyone. We all get off with some sort of bag for our PJ & last minute stuff. Take your time relax & enjoy that last few hr's. We always go to the DR for breakfast since the Lido is a ZOO.

Char

The nice thing about getting off early is no wait at customs and immigration. If I wait too long, will the lines build, or is that just one of those really random things?

The nice thing about getting off early is no wait at customs and immigration. If I wait too long, will the lines build, or is that just one of those really random things?

Guess that will depend. Many people coming back now are saying that self assist there is very few customs / immigration people working and the lines build up quickly. but then after a while more people come into the terminal and go to work so those people are processed more quickly

Actually, it depends. You can go at any point. Unless you have a Carnival transfer. If you have a Carnival transfer like a shuttle bus to the airport the will typically tell you that you must be off and on the bus by a specific time.

If you are on your own, you don't have to be in the group with the first few off, you can be a little bit later.

All I know is, Dec 1st sailing on Royal Caribbean, we didn't pay attention to the guidelines of where to show up....we slept late, went to windjammer for breakfast (we each had a piece of large luggage, and personal backpack. We just went down and out of the ship when ready....and just blended in with everyone else. We had a 3 pm flight, and really just wanted to get off the ship late. They didn't check our zone, or deck number..we just walked off. Is it different on Carnival???

All I know is, Dec 1st sailing on Royal Caribbean, we didn't pay attention to the guidelines of where to show up....we slept late, went to windjammer for breakfast (we each had a piece of large luggage, and personal backpack. We just went down and out of the ship when ready....and just blended in with everyone else. We had a 3 pm flight, and really just wanted to get off the ship late. They didn't check our zone, or deck number..we just walked off. Is it different on Carnival???

Yeah. For one you will not be sleeping late as they will be calling for people to call guest services at 7777 and that goes through the cabins. You will be out of your room by 8 and breakfast is done by 9. Nothing is opened

I've done the self debark on 8 cruises and always left when we wanted; it depended on what our schedule was after getting off the ship.

Done the same on more cruises in both Carnival and Princess.

We watch the line from one of the decks and get off when it's thinned out.

AFAIK, self-assist you must debark at the beginning of the process. They really don't want people lugging suitcases around when the large groups of people are trying to get off.

This is not correct information.

Yes, you can hang out on the ship as long as you want, until the last passengers are asked to leave. Cabins must be vacated by 8:30, though.

We used self assist when we sailed Pride in 2011. Since our son was picking us up at the port, we were in no hurry to leave. We ordered breakfast in then waited until 8:30 to go to the buffet to sit and wait. We left when we were ready, around 10:00.

When we sailed Magic in April 2014, we had very late flights. We had #1 luggage tags. We woke early, had breakfast in the main dining room, then went back to the cabin for our bags. We hung around the Lido deck pool until 10:30, at which time the cruise director announced, "Will the last 118 of you please get off the ship now." We laughed then left. Surprisingly, there was still a lot of luggage waiting to be picked up by passengers.

You can indeed get off the ship when you are ready to do so, self assist or not.

Have a great cruise.

Just got off the Sunshine on Sunday.

Even if you are given debarkation category luggage tags you can still self debark and you do not have to notify guest services.

Platinum/Diamond/FTTF start debarkation when you want once the ship has been cleared by shore side to begin debarkation. Next is self debarkation called by deck starting with deck 1 then 2 deck etc then they start calling the debarkation categories.

It's amazing what the curative properties a Carnival cruise has on people. Cruisers rolled on by attendants during embarkation were self-debarking with their luggage by the end of the cruise.

This is not correct information.

Yes, you can hang out on the ship as long as you want, until the last passengers are asked to leave. Cabins must be vacated by 8:30, though.

We used self assist when we sailed Pride in 2011. Since our son was picking us up at the port, we were in no hurry to leave. We ordered breakfast in then waited until 8:30 to go to the buffet to sit and wait. We left when we were ready, around 10:00.

When we sailed Magic in April 2014, we had very late flights. We had #1 luggage tags. We woke early, had breakfast in the main dining room, then went back to the cabin for our bags. We hung around the Lido deck pool until 10:30, at which time the cruise director announced, "Will the last 118 of you please get off the ship now." We laughed then left. Surprisingly, there was still a lot of luggage waiting to be picked up by passengers.

You can indeed get off the ship when you are ready to do so, self assist or not.

Have a great cruise.

That luggage was likely crew who were leaving the ship for end of contract.