Robes to and from Pool

In my opinion walking around the ship wearing robes looks a bit silly, and often it is new cruisers who do it until they realise that the robes probably aren't intended for wearing in public. I had a conversation with a very embarrassed man once who told me that his wife insisted he wear his robe at the pool and he felt very uncomfortable as people were staring at them.

Having said that, if you pay the money for your cruise, you are absolutely entitled to wear what pleases you. It shouldn't matter what the rest of us think :) if you like it, do it!

(1) Is it OK to wear a bathrobe to dinner on formal night

(2) while smoking on my balcony removing tips

(3)when I am saving a deck chair

(4) theater seat for "just a minute".

(1) Yes.

(2) Yes

(3) Yes

(4) Yes

Yes, Yes, Yes, Oh Yes.

Got my eye on You twinDaddy :D

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn loves the fun !!

In order to save server space, this thread has been merged to create the following question..

Is it OK to wear a bathrobe to dinner on formal night while smoking on my balcony removing tips when I am saving a deck chair/theater seat for "just a minute".

LOL!

You are right, all of these are really the same question, and for each question there are 3 groups:

1. those that are aware enough to know what to do without asking or seeking approval.

2. those that will do whatever they want, no matter if rude or disgusting.

These two groups have no need for a thread. And then, there is group 3:

3. these are the people that suspect an garb or action is not quite correct, so they post with the expectation that others of this group will support their viewpoint. To them I say, it doesn't matter if you get support on your thread for wearing your bathrobe to the pool, or wearing your wifebeater and ball cap on formal night, or smoking on your balcony, or saving pool loungers, etc., etc. ----- you are still wrong!

This thread is getting out of hand. We all have our opinion of "good taste." I find a bathrobe or pajamas in public as "tasteless" with the exception that I don't have problem with a robe to or from the pool, especially late at night to the hot tub. I would never do it as I don't think a bath robe is for public wear, but I see it as a form of bathing suit cover up. But that's only my opinion. I think bathrobes, pajamas, etc. should be banned from all food venues. But that's my opinion too.

Truth is, what we wear, how we look, how we carry ourselves, how we speak, are the first (and sometimes the only) impressions people get of us. Wear t-shirts and jeans to Formal Night and see if you are ever asked to dine with the Captain. Of course you are judged by your appearance. That's how it goes. Why do you thing women wear makeup? CEO's wear expensive suits?

My airline did a study on Pilot Uniforms. They found that the specific uniform we wear is more "professional" looking than some of our competitors, and made the traveling public more confident in our abilities.

The "type" of person you want to be, or are, is apparent in your appearance. So, wear what you want. But don't think we don't always form immediate impressions. Of course we do.

This thread is getting out of hand. We all have our opinion of "good taste." I find a bathrobe or pajamas in public as "tasteless" with the exception that I don't have problem with a robe to or from the pool, especially late at night to the hot tub. I would never do it as I don't think a bath robe is for public wear, but I see it as a form of bathing suit cover up. But that's only my opinion. I think bathrobes, pajamas, etc. should be banned from all food venues. But that's my opinion too.

Truth is, what we wear, how we look, how we carry ourselves, how we speak, are the first (and sometimes the only) impressions people get of us. Wear t-shirts and jeans to Formal Night and see if you are ever asked to dine with the Captain. Of course you are judged by your appearance. That's how it goes. Why do you thing women wear makeup? CEO's wear expensive suits?

My airline did a study on Pilot Uniforms. They found that the specific uniform we wear is more "professional" looking than some of our competitors, and made the traveling public more confident in our abilities.

The "type" of person you want to be, or are, is apparent in your appearance. So, wear what you want. But don't think we don't always form immediate impressions. Of course we do.

You make good points, but in my opinion taken to too far of an extreme.

I honestly do not think wearing a little hat with wings on it and a tie gives me any more confidence. I assume in the super regulated airlines industry that any person wearing a valid pilot ID, that they let sit in the cockpit and fly the plane, is qualified an able to do so. What they wear means nothing to me.

I would rather seem a pilot in a polo shirts and dark jeans, and sturdy shoes, so in case of an emergency they are better able to assist. It reminds me of people who work at the register at a pharmacy wearing a lab coat. *** are you wearing that for?

A different example: Car dealers want to put me at ease when I walk in, create a bond so they can rip me off. That works better with me if the salesman is in a polo. If they are wearing shorts, that is taking it too far, but that is just me. A car dealer in a flashy three piece suit just convinces me a I am going to get ripped off before they open their mouth.

Oh, and to your other examples, women wear makeup for other women, and CEO's wear expensive suits because they want to show off how wealthy they are. Once you get past a pretty moderate price point, there is likely little different in the cut and quality of the suit.

Are we judged by our looks? Of course, but that is a first impression. That quickly fades as soon as many people who dress nicely open their mouth.

One of the kindest, most awesome people I sat with on a cruise was a greeter from Walmart who wore a NASCAR shirt the first night, and a polo and jeans most other nights. Some of the stuffies on cruise critic would never give him the time of day, and would miss out on missing a truly wonderful person that I keep in touch with to this day.

I've never taken a bath wearing a robe.

Nor have I! However, once on last night of cruise I wore robe over my nightgown to go to guest services to report a missing item. I then wore it there a second time to report said missing item had been found. Guess I could have just worn my nightgown without the robe........or gotten fully dressed again - twice! If anyone was offended, oh well!

Have you ever heard the expression: You can't judge a book by the cover??? Cruisers would be far better off judging people by what they do instead of what they wear. I think most people would rather sit next to a guy in a robe in the theatre than a person in a tux saving a row of seats. I will proudly be wearing my robe on the Oasis in January and I will be happy if people forming impressions only by the way other cruisers dress just stay away.

Have you ever heard the expression: You can't judge a book by the cover??? Cruisers would be far better off judging people by what they do instead of what they wear. I think most people would rather sit next to a guy in a robe in the theatre than a person in a tux saving a row of seats. I will proudly be wearing my robe on the Oasis in January and I will be happy if people forming impressions only by the way other cruisers dress just stay away.

And if we were going to be on the same sailing I'd gladly wear my robe and buy you a drink. And, yes, those judgmental people can stay away.

And hospitals and the CDC have done studies on clothing also. We physicians on the medical staff at my hospital have been asked not to wear ties because they act as fomaites and just spread infections around. They also recommend ditching the lab coats and even prefer short sleeve shirts. So all those fancy looking threads that airline pilots wear do nothing for me at all. If an article of clothing doesn't easily go through a washing machine all I see when I look at it is bacteria.;)

I would actually prefer that the pilot flying me be comfortable for the hours that he is confined up there in the cockpit. I care far more about his flying skills than what he wears. I can't see him locked away up front. But I sure know if he gets the plane up in the air and back down on the ground in one piece.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Anyone ever hear of a Sleepover Party.....I would be happy to have a night cap with you.....much more than the person who comes to dinner in their tux, but did not leave themselves enough time to shower (or maybe they did not intend to), and you can smell the sunscreen on them.

Nor have I! However, once on last night of cruise I wore robe over my nightgown to go to guest services to report a missing item. I then wore it there a second time to report said missing item had been found. Guess I could have just worn my nightgown without the robe........or gotten fully dressed again - twice! If anyone was offended, oh well!

like-button.jpg

If you decided on the fly that you wanted to go in the hot tub at midnight and didn't have any pool towels handy, wouldn't the robe make sense? There's a time and place for everything, and taking the robe to the pool deck makes sense in that situation. No issues or judgment from me.

Why didn't you just use the phone in your cabin...at least to let the desk know that the lost item had been found? :confused::)

Never got a picture of this woman, but on our Reflection cruise last month some lady would come into the Oceanview buffet in her bathrobe around 8:00 am looking for all the world like she just climbed out of bed. She even wore slippers.:eek: It was hilarious, I saw her on 3 different mornings!

I'd say if you can stand the embarrassment, go for it.

Never got a picture of this woman, but on our Reflection cruise last month some lady would come into the Oceanview buffet in her bathrobe around 8:00 am looking for all the world like she just climbed out of bed. She even wore slippers.:eek: It was hilarious, I saw her on 3 different mornings!

I'd say if you can stand the embarrassment, go for it.

as I said before nothing wrong with these people, they are trying to entertain us ( can not imagine what she wears on formal night)

Midnight hot tub calls for robe not swim cover up. I have done it, but after reading all of this I may not...ugh! It sure is nice to get into the hot tub, not worry about towels and put the robe on and go back to the cabin. NO I would not walk around the ship with it. From hot tub to cabin, and only at night!

You make good points, but in my opinion taken to too far of an extreme.

I honestly do not think wearing a little hat with wings on it and a tie gives me any more confidence. I assume in the super regulated airlines industry that any person wearing a valid pilot ID, that they let sit in the cockpit and fly the plane, is qualified an able to do so. What they wear means nothing to me.

I would rather seem a pilot in a polo shirts and dark jeans, and sturdy shoes, so in case of an emergency they are better able to assist.

all those fancy looking threads that airline pilots wear do nothing for me at all. .

WOW!! You guys ARE tough! My ENTIRE point was simply what the study showed about uniforms in relation to passenger confidence. You may not agree personally, but the study was the study. Not sure why the confrontational attitude. Just simply stating the results of a study. Believe me, I'd much rather wear a t-shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes to fly in the summer, but pretty sure that neither my company or the flying public would be too happy.

WOW!! You guys ARE tough! My ENTIRE point was simply what the study showed about uniforms in relation to passenger confidence. You may not agree personally, but the study was the study. Not sure why the confrontational attitude. Just simply stating the results of a study. Believe me, I'd much rather wear a t-shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes to fly in the summer, but pretty sure that neither my company or the flying public would be too happy.

It was not my intent to be confrontational at all. I was simply giving you my point of view and mentioning some studies about another profession that at one time was very into ties and jackets too. And being part of that profession I know that ties and jackets do nothing to enhance the competence of physicians and I strongly suspect the same is true of pilots.

It was not my intent to be confrontational at all. I was simply giving you my point of view and mentioning some studies about another profession that at one time was very into ties and jackets too. And being part of that profession I know that ties and jackets do nothing to enhance the competence of physicians and I strongly suspect the same is true of pilots.

Ok. Yeah, I never meant to indicate that skills are related to dress. Only that an "expectation" of skills is related to appearance, at least according to studies in the airline industry. Can't speak to the medical industry.

Fair enough, I guess I misread your tone. I always wonder about studies, you know, as the old saying goes there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Same probably true with studies!

I am very blessed to have a job where I can wear whatever I want, in fact I am encouraged to dress very casually. I work with special needs students, so at any point I am subject to attack, or having to run after them and/or get my clothing ripped.

Why are we talking about professions? Robes on the ship have absolutely NOTHING to do with a job. This thread has turned into more wasted bandwidth. Time to close and delete mods. Thanks.

An you contributed what of value to the thread?

Edited by Ocean Boy

We wear robes to and from the late night hot tub run, but nowhere else.

If we see someone at the buffet wearing a robe we discreetly drop small lightweight food items in their pocket. :D

LOL! Totally agree on both points here. Pool/hot tub is fine for wearing your robe if you so choose. Other public venues are NOT okay. Get dressed!