What If We Don't Want to Eat in the MDR??

wrighka

I KNOW I won't be able to get my daughter and granddaughter to eat dinner in the MDR. I doubt if I'll get them there for breakfast or lunch either.

My question is - Should I notify someone that we will not be eating in the MDR? If so, whom do I ask?

And did I also read that you don't tip the bartenders anymore?? :eek:

If you have traditional dining, either first or second seating, I think it would be better to try to cancel now rather than waiting until you board. There may be people on a waiting list that would appreciate that. Also, if you have requested to be seated at a large table those guests will be looking forward to company for dinner.

If you have requested My Time Dining you don't have to do anything. Also breakfast and lunch are open seating so again it is not a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I KNOW I won't be able to get my daughter and granddaughter to eat dinner in the MDR. I doubt if I'll get them there for breakfast or lunch either.

My question is - Should I notify someone that we will not be eating in the MDR? If so, whom do I ask?

Dining has been covered. For your second part, Yes, Bartenders are still being tipped. If you buy an individual drink, you will be charged the auto 15% gratuity at time of purchase and will be on receipt that you sign. You are welcome add to that gratuity if you like, or not - your choice. Some people choose to tip a particular bartender or two in cash of they take extra care of the guest - this is in addition to the auto gratuity added to drink purchase.

If you have some type of beverage package, the gratuity is added to the price of your package, and distributed amongst bar staff. You can tip additional if you like, or stick with the 15% that was added to cost of your package. Your choice.

Enjoy your sailing.

Not sure where you saw that you don't tip the bartenders but yes you do. 15% will automatically be added to your drink purchase. You are then free to leave extra if you feel they deserve more. I generally leave a dollar per drink extra. If I feel they really deserve more I'll give $5 or more.

Hi Neighbor! If you don't notify a dining official chances are they will call your stateroom during your cruise to see if something is wrong, since they will know you are not attending dinner. Don't feel that you have to go to the MDR, you may dine anywhere you choose onboard.

Tips are automatically added to bar bills, so you don't have to provide an additional tip, unless you feel that it is necessary.

Edited by Tyler80

If you have traditional dining, either first or second seating, I think it would be better to try to cancel now rather than waiting until you board.

I don't think you can. We often never sat foot in the MDR and just went day one to let them know we will not be using our seats. Or the concierge can do it for you if you have access to one.

If there is a way to give up your seat prior to boarding, someone here will let us know!!:)

I don't think you can. We often never sat foot in the MDR and just went day one to let them know we will not be using our seats. Or the concierge can do it for you if you have access to one.

If there is a way to give up your seat prior to boarding, someone here will let us know!!:)

When you book your cruise you are given the option of traditional seating with first or second sitting, if you don't request this then a seat at a specific table is not held for you. It is better to select My Time Dining and then you can eat when and wherever you want. This will probably be a moot point once Dynamic Dining is fleet wide.

Not sure where you saw that you don't tip the bartenders but yes you do. 15% will automatically be added to your drink purchase. You are then free to leave extra if you feel they deserve more. I generally leave a dollar per drink extra. If I feel they really deserve more I'll give $5 or more.

Just curious...what would a bartender/server have to do to warranty $5 or more on a round of drinks? I like your generosity, but in terms of it being proportional to the work performed - no way.

I wouldn't cancel anything. You are not obligated to go to the MDR.

And just say you look at them menu one night and everyone decides hey, lets eat there tonight, I love lobster. So don't be too quick to give your seats away. Plus I don't think you can opt out of being assigned a table if you are not doing MTD. We rarely eat in the MDR. We look at the menu each night and decide and usually opt a specialty or WJ.

What I have done, not knowing if we were seated with others is pop down the first night at the assigned time to let my tablemates know they won't see us much, if at all. The last two times I've done that, my table was completely empty - the other family didn't come either.

Just curious...what would a bartender/server have to do to warranty $5 or more on a round of drinks? I like your generosity, but in terms of it being proportional to the work performed - no way.

If I'm sitting at a bar and the bartender is friendly and right there willing to get me another drink before I even have to ask I feel that is going above and beyond. If I order a time consuming drink I feel an additional tip is warranted. We aren't big beer drinkers so it's usually mixed drinks that they are making for us. Opening a beer in my opinion doesn't warrant an extra $5 but some mixed drinks do.

I work in the service industry so I tend to tip more than the average person just because I see all of the behind the scenes work that goes into making just that one drink. There is more to their job than just mixing drinks all day!

Edited by readytolose

When you book your cruise you are given the option of traditional seating with first or second sitting, if you don't request this then a seat at a specific table is not held for you. It is better to select My Time Dining and then you can eat when and wherever you want. This will probably be a moot point once Dynamic Dining is fleet wide.

We've selected MTD for our Brilliance cruise next month. I've already gone online and made MTD reservations. If we decide to dine in a specialty restaurant, it isn't necessary to notify anyone in MTD?

if you signed up for MTD you are good to go and do not need to do anything else. if you have assigned early or late then please let the maitre d' know after you board. there will be someone at the MDR entrance you can talk to.

i have had bartenders make me a special drink without me even asking. it just appeared in front of me (t was also pretty dang tasty)

once you find a favorite spot, it is not unheard of for a bartender to remember your preferences and keep you will lubricated without prompting.

I have had bartenders suggest something different based on my past order history. without them i never would have discovered my love of spiced rum.

any of these to my mind would warrant a random 5 bucks every so often throughout the week

We've been on around 11 cruises and only ate at the MDR one time when the kids weren't along. They are young adults now and just don't like the thought of eating in a fancy place that takes 1 1/2 -2 hrs neither do mom and dad! Windjammer has always been fine with us!

You didn't mentioned a ship, but the Wind Jammer is the main alternative. It offers a bunch of things kids like for lunch and dinner of burgers, pizza and many other things.

Have a great cruise.

You can get these same things in the MDR for kids off the kids menu. In fact, they will cater to the kids in any way you want! We just were on a 15 day repositioning cruise with 6 of our 7 children and ate in the MDR for breakfast & dinner every day! They were very prompt in serving us so it didn't take forever between courses. We love the MDR!

We haven't eaten in the MDR for a couple cruises now. There are just too many other options and we don't schlep formal wear any more. Plus we just include the cost of alternate dining into our budget when saving up for our cruises now. There are so many things we don't spend money on anymore, so it's better than a wash (pictures come to mind).

We just book MTD so the tips will be taken care of, we don't need to let anyone know, and it's pretty stress free.

:)

Thanks everyone for your answers and opinions. DD and GD won't eat dinner in the MDR because they don't want to "dress up", even though "dressing up" is really not that anymore except for formal night. Plus, neither of them eats much and are so picky that they probably wouldn't find anything on the menu they'd like.

So, I guess it's Windjammer or elsewhere for us!

PS - We are sailing on the Liberty in March