Be Very Careful!

amberben

Were the bags locked? We use KEYED locks..not the TSA things! Bags not in your hand should always be locked. I know they can still be gotten into, but with all the bags that aren't locked, stands to reason a thief will go for the easier target.

The OP did state that they had locks on the bags, but they were cut off. You DO know that there are "TSA" approved locks that use keys, right???

Many times TSA clerks are just too lazy to go ask for the master key and they will just cut the lock off. Don't waste you money on locks - just buy some zip ties. They will deter a thief looking for an easy picking, but won't stop a thief who really wants in your bag. Carry a pair of nail clippers with you to cut the tie at your destination.

• 2 weeks later...
The TSA mess has been cleaned up for year. An easy way to deter anyone is to simply put a zip tie on your bag. If TSA needs to clip for inspection they will and they will re-zip.

I just don't pack anything in my bag I'm not 100% willing to loose.

The TSA mess has not be cleared up. Neither has thefts from the airline baggage handlers. Don't put anything of value in your checked baggage, ever. Be vigilant when go through the security screenings especially when your bag containing cash is being looked at.

Back on topic, one of our four cases was opened by US TSA on the way home from Miami on our latest cruise. There was a notice inside the case saying that this had happened. Although we used expensive TSA approved locks on all our cases, they had cut the lock off.

I know exactly how I pack my cases and it definitely had no more than a cursory search, if that. Absolutely nothing was disturbed but it left our case completely unsecured for the rest of the journey home.

To add insult to injury, the leaflet inside the case referred us to their website for advice on how to secure our luggage in the future. The advice - to use a lock exactly like the one they had cut off!

The moral of the story is to never put any valuables in your case.

Do you really think TSA locks keep your case secured? Hardly. As you can see, anyone can easily remove a TSA lock, especially those who are regular thieves. The only reason to use a lock is so the case might not inadvertently open or maybe to be a (very slight) deterrent to thieves (they will go for one without a lock first in many cases).

I'm not overly excited about my flight to MIA in feb now!

My first trip over the pond.

I never have anything of value in my check in case, but even so, if they like the look of it will they break it open anyway?

Yes.

It is a false sense of security if you put any kind of lock/zip tie/split ring on your bags. They can all be defeated quickly if a thief (be it a TSA clerk, baggage person, someone who just grabs bags) knows what to do. The devices are only a means to hope a thief will bypass and go to a bag that is totally unprotected.

I'm not sure about the "expensive" TSA lock thing; what was so special about the lock that it was so expensive? I've seen a Pelican lock for $30 that matches the Pelican cases. But other than that one, no real difference between the locks that would make me pay more than a few dollars. I had (note the "had") a nifty "TSA" lock that had two locking cables on it. I could use it to keep two different zippers closed (not necessarily safe) on my daypack. Well, something happened and the one cable wouldn't release. I ended up calling hotel security to bring up a pair of bolt cutters to cut it off!!! Swore off any locks after that.

Do you really think TSA locks keep your case secured? Hardly. As you can see, anyone can easily remove a TSA lock, especially those who are regular thieves. The only reason to use a lock is so the case might not inadvertently open or maybe to be a (very slight) deterrent to thieves (they will go for one without a lock first in many cases).

We actually use locks on all our case, including our carry-on luggage. It is far too easy for luggage to be tampered with BEFORE you reach check in. I do not want anything slipped into my luggage as much as I do not want anything taken out of it.

Our locks are actually multipurpose. I use colour coded locks to aid identification.

I agree, no suitcase it ever going to be totally tamper-proof but locking the case can help deter opportunist thieves. In the same way, you cannot completely prevent theft from your home but that does not mean that you would not lock your doors and windows when you go out.

We actually use locks on all our case, including our carry-on luggage. It is far too easy for luggage to be tampered with BEFORE you reach check in. I do not want anything slipped into my luggage as much as I do not want anything taken out of it.

Our locks are actually multipurpose. I use colour coded locks to aid identification.

I agree, no suitcase it ever going to be totally tamper-proof but locking the case can help deter opportunist thieves. In the same way, you cannot completely prevent theft from your home but that does not mean that you would not lock your doors and windows when you go out.

Sue not many think the way we do. I also secure my bag to deter someone from entering my bag not only to steal something but like you to deter someone from adding something to my bag.

I don't know how pervasive this problem is but since people have been caught adding contraband to bags I am positive many go undetected. Here are a couple of examples.

http://dialogo-americas.com/en_GB/articles/rmisa/features/regional_news/2014/01/21/narcotrafico-aeropuertos

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/11/17/framed-at-the-airport-queens-man-gets-shock-of-his-life-at-jfk/

The second story is particular troubling. This poor guy thought he was doing everything right. He locked his luggage thinking he was ok but failed to notice the lock was missing. Sadly did he not only did he loose his job he also had to come up with $100,000 bail.

I have used a the Lewis N Clark Triple Security Cable Lock on my checked bag but I have since changed to zip ties in the picture below. I like to bring home hot sauces in my travels and the TSA likes to inspect these bottles. On a trip I was unaware TSA entered my bag until I got home since they opened and locked the bag with the Lewis N Clark locks. They did leave me the note they had a look around. After reading this article I wanted to know if someone entered my bag while at the airport and I came up with this configuration in the picture below. With the double zip ties one has to be cut to enter my bag for it not to obvious that the bag was entered. On my next cruise TSA did enter my bag but they had to cut one of the ties and I knew at the carrousel my bag was entered. In the bag was only, thank God, the same note from TSA that they inspected my contents.

I still use the Lewis N Clark Triple Security Lock on my carry on because I can use it to secure my bag to a fixed object when at a restaurant or to lock my luggage together if leave my luggage at a hotel when my room is not ready.

Shak

d76693a1-1b56-439b-ae59-ea85c09e24c2_zps7b5fa4b7.jpg

Unlike basic locked, the TSA Approved locks can be opened by a special key. In the UK, they cost about double a basic lock.

Sorry that I did not notice you were posting from the UK. On my US-centric sites and stores, the TSA locks aren't any more than non-TSA locks. And, yes I did know there is a "special key". Just that there are times TSA clerks don't bother with that ;)

I get a bag of cable ties at the $ store. We use them when checking our bags at the airport and in our hotel room. Cheap and easy.

Another idea for back pack zippers are small calibiner clips. Been using those for years.

As for TSA security and things, like a wallet, being lifted from the bin, I now bring a qallon sized zip lock bag for my husband to put his wallet, keys, coins, glasses, etc. Easy for him to grab his stuff at the other end (no worries about leaving anything in the tray) and hard for anyone else to lift his just the wallet.

I get a bag of cable ties at the $ store. We use them when checking our bags at the airport and in our hotel room. Cheap and easy.

Another idea for back pack zippers are small calibiner clips. Been using those for years.

As for TSA security and things, like a wallet, being lifted from the bin, I now bring a qallon sized zip lock bag for my husband to put his wallet, keys, coins, glasses, etc. Easy for him to grab his stuff at the other end (no worries about leaving anything in the tray) and hard for anyone else to lift his just the wallet.

Carabiners are standard equipment on any of my backpacks and bags where I can use them so secure the zipper to a ring on the bag (like the rings that hold straps to a purse). The ones I use are screw carabiners, not the spring-open ones.

I NEVER EVER send my wallet through a scanner without first taking the cash out and either put in pocket or hold it in my hand. A couple of times I have been questioned and had to have the wand run over me, but I just tell them my money stays with me at all times. Some times I will even pull my credit cards out.

Edited by hawk/hornfan

http://www.qchron.com/editions/south/jfk-tsa-employee-convicted-of-stealing/article_a94a2d6f-b7fa-5974-b790-bc7bfe71b100.html

TSA agent at JFK convicted of stealing $10,000 cash. Never let your guard down when going through security. Also, as the post above mine shows, a simple pen can open up the zipper in your luggage, so TSA locks are worthless.

I just put all my valuables from my pocket inside my carry on or personal item even before I get to the x-ray machine. No one will steal it unless they steal the entire piece of luggage. Since I am always having an eye on my items both before they go into the x-ray and after they come out, I am sure no one tampers with my stuff.

I just put all my valuables from my pocket inside my carry on or personal item even before I get to the x-ray machine. No one will steal it unless they steal the entire piece of luggage. Since I am always having an eye on my items both before they go into the x-ray and after they come out, I am sure no one tampers with my stuff.

What will you do when the TSA agent says he/she has to open your carryon and examine it? This is when the thefts occur. Right in front of your eyes but you don't realize it until it is too late.

Time is the worst enemy of a thief. The more time they have to take to enter a bag the more chance there is they will be caught even if its seconds. Yes zippers are venerable. The cheaper the zipper is the easier it is to enter. There are two ways to make it more difficult to use this method of entry.

One way is like the double zip tie like in post 33. While it won't eliminate someone from using a sharp object to open the zipper but they won't be able to cover their tracks without cutting one of the zip ties. The other is Lewis N Clark Triple Security Lock. This lock works much like the zip ties in respect that you have to open the lock to cover your tracks. This lock is also nice to lock luggage together or lock your luggage to a fixed object like a leg of a chair when eating.

I also use the method of frugeltravel. Before I get to the security area my valuables are secured in my carry on so no one knows what's in my bag. I also watch it carefully when it goes through x-ray. The TSA agent will have to go through all my articles to find what is most important. I doubt if they will have time and for me not to be aware of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Accessories-Lockdown-Triple-Security/dp/B003EM3D6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420155847&sr=8-1&keywords=lewis+n+clark+triple+security+lock

The top of the lock goes around the handle of your luggage and the bottom goes through the zipper ties.

Shak

Edited by Shak

Time is the worst enemy of a thief. The more time they have to take to enter a bag the more chance there is they will be caught even if its seconds. Yes zippers are venerable. The cheaper the zipper is the easier it is to enter. There are two ways to make it more difficult to use this method of entry.

One way is like the double zip tie like in post 33. While it won't eliminate someone from using a sharp object to open the zipper but they won't be able to cover their tracks without cutting one of the zip ties. The other is Lewis N Clark Triple Security Lock. This lock works much like the zip ties in respect that you have to open the lock to cover your tracks. This lock is also nice to lock luggage together or lock your luggage to a fixed object like a leg of a chair when eating.

I also use the method of frugeltravel. Before I get to the security area my valuables are secured in my carry on so no one knows what's in my bag. I also watch it carefully when it goes through x-ray. The TSA agent will have to go through all my articles to find what is most important. I doubt if they will have time and for me not to be aware of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Accessories-Lockdown-Triple-Security/dp/B003EM3D6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420155847&sr=8-1&keywords=lewis+n+clark+triple+security+lock

The top of the lock goes around the handle of your luggage and the bottom goes through the zipper ties.

Shak

This is the exact cable lock I had that suddenly wouldn't open on one of the loops - I had to get hotel security to bring the bolt cutters so I could open it!!! It was a nice lock for the 2 years I had it before it went wacky...

This is the exact cable lock I had that suddenly wouldn't open on one of the loops - I had to get hotel security to bring the bolt cutters so I could open it!!! It was a nice lock for the 2 years I had it before it went wacky...

I have read that complaint before on Amazon but all I can say I have had mine for over 3 years now without a problem. This seems like a great idea and I wonder why more lock companies don't adopt this idea.

Shak

Edited by Shak

What will you do when the TSA agent says he/she has to open your carryon and examine it? This is when the thefts occur. Right in front of your eyes but you don't realize it until it is too late.

I have flown hundreds of thousands of miles since 9/11, never go through the nude o scope, and have had my carry on searched more times than I can count. But I am extremely diligent and always very aware of my surroundings. Nothing has ever been stolen by the TSA or anyone else.

I have flown hundreds of thousands of miles since 9/11, never go through the nude o scope, and have had my carry on searched more times than I can count. But I am extremely diligent and always very aware of my surroundings. Nothing has ever been stolen by the TSA or anyone else.

I know for a fact that there have been charges brought against TSA agents as well as convictions A simple Google search will confirm. I'm glad you've had no problems. Just want to give folks the heads up.

It is actually quite simple. You keep your eyes on your bags, you don't let them out of your sight. Even when the TSA drone is telling you "turn around" or "walk this way", you politely say "I want to keep my possessions in sight". And if/when push comes to shove, try "Supervisor please" in a slightly elevated volume. Not so that you in any way can be considered disruptive, but you firmly assert your rights in keeping your belongings in sight.

Plus, they must ask for your consent to open your bags. Only do it when you can see just what they are doing. If you don't consent, then you get booted from airside, but they cannot just open your bags. Usually they use words like "we need to look inside" and most people just say "OK". Which is the consent.

If your bag is locked, they need you to open it. IIRC, they don't have the TSA keys at pax screening points, only checked luggage scan points.

I know for a fact that there have been charges brought against TSA agents as well as convictions A simple Google search will confirm. I'm glad you've had no problems. Just want to give folks the heads up.
IIRC, almost all of that had to do with checked baggage, not at the pax screening. One more reason, other than the airline's contract of carriage, not to put valuables in checked luggage.

It is actually quite simple. You keep your eyes on your bags, you don't let them out of your sight. Even when the TSA drone is telling you "turn around" or "walk this way", you politely say "I want to keep my possessions in sight". And if/when push comes to shove, try "Supervisor please" in a slightly elevated volume. Not so that you in any way can be considered disruptive, but you firmly assert your rights in keeping your belongings in sight.

Plus, they must ask for your consent to open your bags. Only do it when you can see just what they are doing. If you don't consent, then you get booted from airside, but they cannot just open your bags. Usually they use words like "we need to look inside" and most people just say "OK". Which is the consent.

If your bag is locked, they need you to open it. IIRC, they don't have the TSA keys at pax screening points, only checked luggage scan points.

+1

Never, ever, let you carryon out of your sight. Do NOT go through the WTMD until you see your bag enter the x-ray. You may be barked at to walk through, because you are holding up the line, leaving your bag out of sight, but politely decline. If you are directed to secondary or if a clerk asks to open your bag or take it to the "explosives" trace machine, politely but firmly demand to keep the bag in your sight. I keep my bag locked specifically so I must be there to unlock it.

The checkpoint thefts by TSA clerks do happen - some famous ones were when some enterprising TSA clerks were lifting iPads when they first came out. Watches and jewelry are also popular clerk targets. It's a double-edge sword: can't put "valuables" in checked bags, but it leaves them vulnerable to less-than-scrupulous clerks…These people depend on the travelers to be compliant to their barking and demands, blinded by the "authority", and leaving their items unattended.

Forewarned is fore-armed.