Be Very Careful!

amberben

We have been using zip ties for many years. We have may colors and match them to our suitcase because that makes them harder to see. We have only had two bags checked in the last ten years until last week. We were returning from our Emerald cruise using IAH. When I opened the first bag (which had a TSA lock on it) there was a note saying it was opened. Then we noticed all the tie wraps were cut off all the bags. No notes in any other ones. I pack everything in large zip lock bags so it is easy for them to look thru. One of the bags was a mess - everything just tossed every which way and no note. Of course the note says they are not responsible for anything.

This post got me thinking. The first time I got cash out of my purse, there were no 50's and not the amount of 20"s that I thought I put in it. I don't take a billfold - I keep it in an inside pocket. I really think I had at least $250 more than what was there.

Then on the return home when we got to IAH, there was no pre check line. We have been so use to it that I didn't take anything out of my purse or backpack. After I went thru, a gentleman asked "who's purse is this?" I said mine and he asked if there was a computer in it. I said yes, my computer and a notepad. I went on to say Sorry - I forgot because I was use to pre check and was surprised they didn't have it at such a large airport. I didn't think anything at the time but he took my purse and walked behind the machine and I could not see him. It seemed to take forever for it to come out. never looked to see if everything was there. I caught a terrible cold that night so didn't unpack for two days and my jewelry is still in my purse - OR I hope it is. I took some expensive pieces along and now am afraid to go upstairs to look.

What could I have done???

Should I have said please take them out in front of me - I know we are not allowed to touch any of our things when they question one.

Take me back to the 60's and 70's when it was fun to fly!!!!!

We have been using zip ties for many years. We have may colors and match them to our suitcase because that makes them harder to see. We have only had two bags checked in the last ten years until last week. We were returning from our Emerald cruise using IAH. When I opened the first bag (which had a TSA lock on it) there was a note saying it was opened. Then we noticed all the tie wraps were cut off all the bags. No notes in any other ones. I pack everything in large zip lock bags so it is easy for them to look thru. One of the bags was a mess - everything just tossed every which way and no note. Of course the note says they are not responsible for anything.

This post got me thinking. The first time I got cash out of my purse, there were no 50's and not the amount of 20"s that I thought I put in it. I don't take a billfold - I keep it in an inside pocket. I really think I had at least $250 more than what was there.

Then on the return home when we got to IAH, there was no pre check line. We have been so use to it that I didn't take anything out of my purse or backpack. After I went thru, a gentleman asked "who's purse is this?" I said mine and he asked if there was a computer in it. I said yes, my computer and a notepad. I went on to say Sorry - I forgot because I was use to pre check and was surprised they didn't have it at such a large airport. I didn't think anything at the time but he took my purse and walked behind the machine and I could not see him. It seemed to take forever for it to come out. never looked to see if everything was there. I caught a terrible cold that night so didn't unpack for two days and my jewelry is still in my purse - OR I hope it is. I took some expensive pieces along and now am afraid to go upstairs to look.

What could I have done???

Should I have said please take them out in front of me - I know we are not allowed to touch any of our things when they question one.

Take me back to the 60's and 70's when it was fun to fly!!!!!

Yes! The TSA "rules" on their own website tell you to never let your things out of your sight. You should have told the clerk to take the items out in front of you. The clerks rely on you being naive and willing to let them do anything. By knowing your rights at a checkpoint, you can minimize their ability to take things from you.

Yes! The TSA "rules" on their own website tell you to never let your things out of your sight. You should have told the clerk to take the items out in front of you. The clerks rely on you being naive and willing to let them do anything. By knowing your rights at a checkpoint, you can minimize their ability to take things from you.

The clerks also know that you are anxious to catch your flight and don't want to go into the private room. There are dishonest TSA agents, airline baggage handlers, and other pax all have access to your valuables if you are not vigilant.