Carry on large bag

Ukap

Port Everglades (FLL) Check in

I have large case. It has wheels & prob will weigh about 50lbs when I have packed it. I would like to carry this on rather than check it in as I want all my stuff with me when I arrive!

Will I be allowed to carry on a case this large? I do not need help with it & can easily lift it onto a conveyor belt to go thru security/xray

If you are talking about carrying it on the ship, they don't care what you carry on as long as you can handle it yourself.

The airlines won't let you take anything larger than a standard carry-on onto the plane. There would be no place to store it.

Keep in mind that you have to be able to lift it up onto the security screener which is much higher than a car or van trunk. And it has to fit into the airport security-like screener.

Depending on the port and tides, there can sometimes be a very steep drop on the gangway onto the ship. You will have to handle all of your stuff on your own without assistance. Oh, and, of course, you probably won't be able to use the escalator in the terminal but will have to wait for an elevator.

It this really worth having your clothes with you as you enter your cabin rather than 10 minutes (the fastest time I've received my luggage) to 2-4 hours after you board?

It's not a common sight with embarking passengers....more often it's just the disembarking passengers who want to get away in a hurry from the terminal.

Most folks wait for their luggage to arrive at the cabin door. It always does...if you have the tags attached.

I have my doubts it will fit through the ship scanner :rolleyes:

There was just a discussion on this same topic several weeks ago. I am one that would love to take mine with me because I want to unpack as soon as possible so it is over and done with. I have never had it within a hour of boarding - usually 2 -3 hours.

Good luck - go for it.

Part of the joy of cruising to me is having someone else deal with my bag. I am not a Sherpa. It's part of what I'm paying for, after all. That said, I have found the past several cruises that luggage delivery has gotten later and later; I haven't had my bags before muster since , let me think . . . , Crown, 2007. I remember being able to change well before muster out of soggy clothes (it was raining torrentially in Manhattan that morning before boarding). Since then, no.

It's inexcusable to be handing off one's luggage by 11am and then not to see it outside the cabin door until after muster or after sailaway time. So, the temptation just to bring my bag with me is becoming stronger. And I don't want to but I don't want to waste my early evening unpacking when I should be out buying sailaway drinks [hello, Princess?].

It really angers me that they can't even do this one basic thing -- even on the little girl, it was 5-ish before my bag appeared . . . in the elevator lobby, where it sat for a good 30 minutes. And no, I couldn't grab it myself: it was in the center of a sea of bags, some of which were stacked. So close and yet so far . . .

So you expect the cruise line to offload and deliver over 7000pcs avg of luggage to everyone before 3-4pm muster time? Most people do indeed recieve there luggage prior to muster-we have everytime and have sailed 12 times with Princess.

If you choose to carry your large luggage-go for it-but be aware of the steps-slow elevators first day and long stairs carrying it on board and trying to fit it on the elevators with other passengers..

If you arrive at the port before noon, your bags are there with the rest of the early birds - much harder to sort them all out. My last two cruises I did not arrive at the port until 1:30 and 2:00, my bags arrived within 30 minutes of getting onboard. As a matter of fact my last cruise they were in my cabin waiting for me.

Trying to get a 50lb suitcase through the throngs of people at the terminal, then lift it up onto the security desk, then hike it up the gangplank and through the ship to my room - not worth it to me.

It's been rare on any of our cruises that we didn't have our luggage before dinner, and most of the time we seem to have it when we are returning our life jackets from the muster drill.

One thing that was alluded above is that even if you get a large bag through the security check, you and everyone else trying to board the ship at the same time will have at least some carry-ons. If you have an enormous one, you may be impeding others.

Some of the people at the terminals will try to talk you out of carrying your own bag if it's large & tell you it won't fit through the scanners.

Yep! Just happened to us in FLL. DW's airline carryon, when expanded, can grow immensely. Staff attempted to make her give it to the porters saying it wouldn't fit the scanners and she wouldn't hear of it. When we went through security, it wasn't a problem.

If you arrive at the port before noon, your bags are there with the rest of the early birds - much harder to sort them all out. My last two cruises I did not arrive at the port until 1:30 and 2:00, my bags arrived within 30 minutes of getting onboard. As a matter of fact my last cruise they were in my cabin waiting for me.

That's our experience as well. We arrived for one cruise very early as our friends were doing the BVE for our cruise. Our bags were checked around 10AM and the BVE started at 10:30. We didn't see our bags until after sailaway. They must have been in the back of the pile.

For every other cruise we try to arrive right after 2PM and we always get our bags delivered quickly.

So you expect the cruise line to offload and deliver over 7000pcs avg of luggage to everyone before 3-4pm muster time? .

No we don't

We just want to get our unpacking done as soon as possible so we can go have fun and not worry about it!!!

ANd many of us that do take a bag or two are capable of dealing with the bags and do not hold other people up. We aren't rude passengers. It is no problem for us to have a backpack and carry our 45 pound bag up stairs.

Maybe some older people can't but many of us can. No, we are not impeding others.

We are both over 65 and fit and we did take our large 28" suitcase on board with us in Vancouver. We lifted it into the scanner and took it up the gangway and to our cabin. It was nice to be able to do this.

Would not recommend to others unless the person is capable.

We are both over 65 and fit and we did take our large 28" suitcase on board with us in Vancouver. We lifted it into the scanner and took it up the gangway and to our cabin. It was nice to be able to do this.

Would not recommend to others unless the person is capable.

I believe this is the main concern of the security personal. If everyone carried on their own luggage the boarding process would be slowed down to a crawl with people lifting their luggage onto the scanner belts.

I believe this is the main concern of the security personal. If everyone carried on their own luggage the boarding process would be slowed down to a crawl with people lifting their luggage onto the scanner belts.

Yes, but its great that we have the choice to do either.

I don't think security personnel care one way or the other except there is less work for them (looking at the scans) if people do not bring all of their luggage that way.