Automatic graturities charged ?

Southendweather

I think it is just easier to pay the auto charge - P and O about £4 pp a day.

Then if you so wish a small tip extra would suffice. We did that with another line when our two waiters who were such good fun and very attentive were going home when we docked. As we had paid the auto tip, we gave a bit extra for ' a couple of coffees' at the airport.

I would imagine that it costs much more than the auto charge to reward everyone with a personal tip.

On our recent P and O cruise we were Freedom dining so had no regular waiters. One evening, a couple said they had removed their tip and tried to note the name of the waiter that evening because he was good. They were going to 'remember him'. I wonder if they did!

I think it is just easier to pay the auto charge - P and O about £4 pp a day.

Then if you so wish a small tip extra would suffice. We did that with another line when our two waiters who were such good fun and very attentive were going home when we docked. As we had paid the auto tip, we gave a bit extra for ' a couple of coffees' at the airport.

I would imagine that it costs much more than the auto charge to reward everyone with a personal tip.

On our recent P and O cruise we were Freedom dining so had no regular waiters. One evening, a couple said they had removed their tip and tried to note the name of the waiter that evening because he was good. They were going to 'remember him'. I wonder if they did!

In speaking to you they already did "remember"' and if from the UK, then this remembering could have been as far as it went.:eek:

Was wondering whether to stop gratuities on my next cruise. What is P&O's current daily rate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just join the "Brits Q" immediately on boarding. Beware, it could be a long one:eek:

Welcome to CC, and note your first post, is a thought to remove grats. One of the Great British traditions on cruise ships.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Personally we just build the cost of the service charge into the overall cost of the cruise. These staff work such long, hard hours on a pitiful basic wage, that we don't begrudge the service charge at all.

We also give a little extra to those who have given us good service...........

We usually sail with US lines who charge a lot more, and we still tip extra (unless we're REALLY unhappy with service).

These staff rely on tips/service charge and I would feel better if this was built into the cost of the cruise and the staff were paid a decent wage.

But I thought the whole point of the auto tips was that you didn't need an envelope? I was told envelopes were like making people tug their forelock and bow? Or so said some on here. now, you pay the autotip and you then also give an envelope?

But I thought the whole point of the auto tips was that you didn't need an envelope? I was told envelopes were like making people tug their forelock and bow? Or so said some on here. now, you pay the autotip and you then also give an envelope?

Autotip is just "general" and envelopes are specific for excellence.

Yes I understand that, but I was given such grief on here when I used to take off the autotip and give the right amount in an envelope just because we preferred it. I was told I was acting like Master and Servant. i don't see the difference. If you autotip and then give an envelope, it's still Master and Servant, well if you want to look at it that way, which I never did.

to me it's no different to tipping my hairdresser, a taxi driver etc.

Edited by jeanlyon

The poster you quote is not saying they do, re the back room staff.

The P&O position is very clear as posted above. Cabin steward, and waiters in the dining room. The people it was suggested you tip in the booklet you were given a few years ago before auto tips were introduced.

We find the auto tips so much easier. All the staff we have had have been excellent and have deserved our gratitude.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The poster was saying that, if you remove auto tips and tip your steward, then P&O will make him share it. That, unless the rules have changed very recently, isn't correct. The person you pay is the person who keeps the money.

That's £2,687.00 per month WOW. Plus free food, accommodation and flights home. Where are the application forms?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn't get too excited. For the hours they work, that's barely above UK minimum wage even for the very highest paid.

Personally think its a personal decision whether to tip or not...

Agreed, however, it would appear from the length of the Q at GR on the first day that many may have made exactly the same personal decision. One is amazed, how the same thought could be shared by so many. :rolleyes:

Could it be telepathy?:eek:

I totally agree I think P and O should just raise their prices and say NO TIPPING is required in any way shape or form, as on some other lines. If envelopes are still proffered they would be refused with a polite nothing is required.

However as most people sailing with P and O want the cheapest and best deal possible the above will not happen.

So what are the options.

As I have said we leave auto tips on and do not tip anyone over and above, even if the the rest of our table did/does. I would not know if what they tipped was over and above the auto tip or instead of. I do not discuss such things with table companions.

When auto tips first came in and people were saying they left them on and always tipped on top, I said I felt it was a slippery slope before people felt it was expected of them.

It is not expected at all.

As for the people who take the auto grats off and do not tip at all. Entirely up to them..however for what they have paid for their holiday it is not a lot on top..do I hate them for it, no just feel a bit sorry that they would spend 100's or 1000's on a holiday and then begrudge a couple of hundred on top for those people who helped make it so special. my thoughts entirely.

I totally agree I think P and O should just raise their prices and say NO TIPPING is required in any way shape or form, as on some other lines. If envelopes are still proffered they would be refused with a polite nothing is required.

However as most people sailing with P and O want the cheapest and best deal possible the above will not happen.

So what are the options.

As I have said we leave auto tips on and do not tip anyone over and above, even if the the rest of our table did/does. I would not know if what they tipped was over and above the auto tip or instead of. I do not discuss such things with table companions.

When auto tips first came in and people were saying they left them on and always tipped on top, I said I felt it was a slippery slope before people felt it was expected of them.

It is not expected at all.

As for the people who take the auto grats off and do not tip at all. Entirely up to them..however for what they have paid for their holiday it is not a lot on top..do I hate them for it, no just feel a bit sorry that they would spend 100's or 1000's on a holiday and then begrudge a couple of hundred on top for those people who helped make it so special. my thoughts entirely.

Totally agree with your post.

I have never understood why tips are required. Such things should be included in the price. If they were added to the price before us customers bought a cruise would we really notice the difference ? And would it have stopped us buying that cruise if we did some how notice ? I think the truthful answer to both questions is No.

Totally agree with your post.

I have never understood why tips are required. Such things should be included in the price. If they were added to the price before us customers bought a cruise would we really notice the difference ? And would it have stopped us buying that cruise if we did some how notice ? I think the truthful answer to both questions is No.

Your point is well made. But I have been at GR on a P&O ship where a group of guests, traveling together, were attempting to remove the prepaid tips (given by their TA), wishing for the full value to be placed as a credit on their ship accounts, so they could purchase cigarettes and liquor from the Duty Free store onboard.:eek:

Remember, "they" are out there!!:eek:

Your point is well made. But I have been at GR on a P&O ship where a group of guests, traveling together, were attempting to remove the prepaid tips (given by their TA), wishing for the full value to be placed as a credit on their ship accounts, so they could purchase cigarettes and liquor from the Duty Free store onboard.:eek:

Remember, "they" are out there!!:eek:

Now that does beggar believe!!!

Do some people have no shame.

I hope the reply was NO.

Now that does beggar believe!!!

Do some people have no shame.

I hope the reply was NO.

One did hope so, but left GR before the vociferous and pompus attempt was concluded. And "they", being totally obnoxious, do not comprehend the dislike felt by true cruisers. Have never met a "stiffer" with whom one could engage, in my opinion "they" are an alien species, as their obnoxiousness extends beyond the subject of gratuities.

How on earth can the cruise line threaten to dismiss someone for not "handing over the contents of the envelope"? How do they know if or how much staff have been given directly? This can not be correct....and there will be cases where the cruise line know that automatic gratuities have been removed....but that does not prove anything has been given to individual staff! This is obviously not correct information...scaremongering perhaps to discourage folk from removing automatic tips?

Edited by nannyviv

As I prefer to tip in cash (rightly or wrongly - ignore that for now) P&O very kindly provide me with envelopes to put my tips in. They offer these to me. I then choose to offer a gratuities i.e. a personal gift in law. If the cruise line then require whoever I've tipped to hand them over then they are being disingenuous at the best, and blackmailing their staff at worst. P&O are also misleading me as a passenger as they do not advise to me that staff cannot keep tips yet allow me to tick a box re preferring to tip in cash.

Thinking this through further, unless a tip clearly advises who it is from, an individual would surely advise that they do not know the cabin or that it's from a cabin who left auto tips on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I prefer to tip in cash (rightly or wrongly - ignore that for now) P&O very kindly provide me with envelopes to put my tips in. They offer these to me. I then choose to offer a gratuities i.e. a personal gift in law. If the cruise line then require whoever I've tipped to hand them over then they are being disingenuous at the best, and blackmailing their staff at worst. P&O are also misleading me as a passenger as they do not advise to me that staff cannot keep tips yet allow me to tick a box re preferring to tip in cash.

Thinking this through further, unless a tip clearly advises who it is from, an individual would surely advise that they do not know the cabin or that it's from a cabin who left auto tips on.

Absolutely agree.