Automatic graturities charged ?

Southendweather

Do we know it is essential?

We all seem to have ideas of what goes where, who gets what, what's pooled and what isn't etc but do we really know what would happen if the whole ship decided to remove auto tips?

Would P&O step in and fill the short fall in the staff wages or would they genuinely earn next to nothing for that week?

An interesting point Rich, and if it ever happened I suspect P&O would have to reconsider how they rewarded their service staff.

As regards the auto tip being essential I believe it is, all the evidence I have heard points to service staff contracts being between £100 and £400 per month, with the gratuity pool adding anything between £1000 and £1500 per month. Which makes the gratuity the main reason people would seek out these sort of jobs, of course I could be totally wrong.

For those who think the current per diem auto tip is too big for world cruises, I suggest they stick to shorter cruises.

whilst the daily rate is the same for a world cruise or a short cruise, I said I would rather P&o include it in their fare. Walking onboard to a large bill is not nice. Plus it would be a great selling point for P&o. I do however leave auto tips on as I can't be bothered messing around with envelopes.

I am sure that if p&o put £50 on a 14 day cruise those that que at reception to have them removed would still of booked. Even after taking into account some admin charges I bet there would be more money in the pot for the staff (due to everyone paying). Then those that would of had them removed would be well chuffed that they don't even have to do that.

Would P&O step in and fill the short fall in the staff wages or would they genuinely earn next to nothing for that week?

Interesting ...

I doubt that the company would step in for one week if this happened in isolation. But if this happened regularly I believe they would have a retention problem as staff wouldn't sign up for new contracts. Also if they lost the confidence of staff the service levels would fall.

So if it happened regularly some sort of action would have to be taken.

The problem isn't straightforward though. The likes of P&O are basically arbitraging disposable income in one region against the lower wage rates of another. The reality is that cruising might be seen in some quarters as something for the well to do but from what I see a lot of customers are price sensitive. So increasing prices by including tipping isn't a straightforward solution.

As long as a decent numbers of customers tip reasonably then the crew receiving those tips are in some ways protected from the risks associated with pricing.

It's worth bearing in mind that if P&O discount a cabin to just cover costs and overheads in order to fill it but the passengers still tip then P&O might be viewed as losing and those getting the tips 'win'.

The problem isn't straightforward though. The likes of P&O are basically arbitraging disposable income in one region against the lower wage rates of another.

That's our world of Globalisation, as witnessed in many of the products we buy.

The big question is, for how long can this continue as wealth shifts to the East from the West?

Perhaps in thirty years time the passengers will from the East and the crew from the West?

Tipping is added automaticaly as British people have something against tipping.

Ask the wait staff or cabin staff. They are so used to getting "Stiffed" by the Brits.

Some call it cheap. Some call it rudeness.

I think it may be a lack of understanding.

Its explained in the small print regarding tipping.

Some just dont get it, or in some cases, pretend not to get it, so as to avoid paying.

I tip using the auto tipping method. And tip further if the service exceeds my requirments.As it often does.

I could not be a cheapskate and not tip.

Those that dont tip the wait staff and cabin stewards are very cheap.

It's not just us Brits. We were on a cruise some years back and on our table of eight were four Canadians. On the last night they didn't turn up for dinner and looking around the dining room were several empty chairs. I felt so sorry for the waiters.

So what about the staff that work in the laundrey, the kitchen staff, the deck cleaners etc, etc, who tips those , or are they on higher wages?

They don't get tips or a share in any tips pot, so their wage represents the narket rate (whatever that might be). It'll be higher than a waiter or steward's basic pay, but quite a lot lower than the expected net pay after tips are added.

It's not just us Brits. We were on a cruise some years back and on our table of eight were four Canadians. On the last night they didn't turn up for dinner and looking around the dining room were several empty chairs. I felt so sorry for the waiters.

We have cruised with Australians and they resolutely refused to tip, stating they did not agree with the process and the fare should include the service charge/staff wages.

Cb

We have cruised with Australians and they resolutely refused to tip, stating they did not agree with the process and the fare should include the service charge/staff wages.

Cb

I lived in Spain and they never tip either. They consider that service is part of the price. The Brits are obsessed with tipping, especially on cruises. Most people tip regardless of the level of service. It amazes me that some people can't decide for themselves whether to tip and how much nor whether to leave auto-tips on or not.

So what about the staff that work in the laundrey, the kitchen staff, the deck cleaners etc, etc, who tips those , or are they on higher wages?

How often do you tip a laundry worker in a hotel, or a kitchen worker?

I worked in a dry cleaners for years and didn't get tips, or expected one, and I was on minimum wage.

TIPS - to, improve, personal, service. That is what I was told it meant.

I feel P&O service charge is fair.

Can I just say that the poster who mentioned "stiffing" the staff has been reading too many Princess tipping threads.:(

Can I just say that the poster who mentioned "stiffing" the staff has been reading too many Princess tipping threads.:(

Probably because the Princess threads are full of Americans who expect everyone to do it and I mean everyone.

Cb

I agree the fare should include the service charge. But it doesn't. If it's your first time on P&O and you forgot to read the helpful hints in the brochure, then you just about have a case for withholding the tips. But if you know the score before you set off, then it's surely nonsensical to have the attitude "these men and women are underpaid, and I am going to make my protest about their poor pay by making sure they work for me for as little money as possible".

It would make far more sense to protest about the tips by refusing to travel P&O - not by withholding 'pay' from the staff.

I agree the fare should include the service charge. But it doesn't. If it's your first time on P&O and you forgot to read the helpful hints in the brochure, then you just about have a case for withholding the tips. But if you know the score before you set off, then it's surely nonsensical to have the attitude "these men and women are underpaid, and I am going to make my protest about their poor pay by making sure they work for me for as little money as possible".

It would make far more sense to protest about the tips by refusing to travel P&O - not by withholding 'pay' from the staff.

The incident with the Australians was on Princess. We don't have a problem with tipping. however I can understand Brits on American lines who find forking out $500 in tips a tad challenging, particularly when the Americans on board have paid less for their cruise.

Cb

The incident with the Australians was on Princess. We don't have a problem with tipping. however I can understand Brits on American lines who find forking out $500 in tips a tad challenging, particularly when the Americans on board have paid less for their cruise.

Cb

We were in Australia in the summer and I was surprised that tips are not expected. On our first day there I gave the hotel porter a few dollars after he'd showed us to our room and he made the point of saying that tipping is not customary in Australia.

Cb

I make the Aussies right. P&O are just conning their customers. Pay fair wages and add the cost to the cruise fare. Cost to the customer should end up the same.

I make the Aussies right. P&O are just conning their customers. Pay fair wages and add the cost to the cruise fare. Cost to the customer should end up the same.

P&O are one of the lowest with regards to gratuities so dont ever go on American cruise lines as they are a lot higher plus charge 15% on every drink. But end of the day you get what yo pay for and for me its Princess over P&O every time.

Cb

As far as tipping in general is concerned I'm with the Aussies. I hate trying to calculate how large the tip should be (10%, 15% or whatever) and whether the service was worth it or whether I need to add a bit or deduct a bit to the percentage. :confused:

Regarding Cruise tipping, I also wish they would add the gratuities to the cruise price. I guess the sales and marketing people think they'll sell more cabins if the purchase price seems lower.

Since they don't include the gratuities in the price I prefer to go with the autotip option since it saves me having to even think about tipping. I just consider it to be part of the purchase price and forget about it.

Regardless of how I feel about the way P&O organise this, I wouldn't dream of not paying it, since that would be taking it out on the staff, and, since I find the service to be excellent 95% of the time, I think they deserve all they get.

I'd rather not have to run around distributing envelopes stuffed with dosh at the end of every cruise.:mad:

Edited by mds143

How on earth can the cruise line threaten to dismiss someone for not "handing over the contents of the envelope"? How do they know if or how much staff have been given directly? This can not be correct....and there will be cases where the cruise line know that automatic gratuities have been removed....but that does not prove anything has been given to individual staff! This is obviously not correct information...scaremongering perhaps to discourage folk from removing automatic tips?

'Ghost' passengers, or whatever they call them. People who appear to be genuine passengers but who are paid to remove the auto tip and tip directly. Possibly employed by an agency rather than the cruise line itself. Just one of these passengers would be enough to keep an entire fleets worth of staff on their toes.

does it actually happen? don't know

'Ghost' passengers, or whatever they call them. People who appear to be genuine passengers but who are paid to remove the auto tip and tip directly. Possibly employed by an agency rather than the cruise line itself. Just one of these passengers would be enough to keep an entire fleets worth of staff on their toes.

does it actually happen? don't know

You to may have heard about the alleged "Secret Guests" [a la secret shoppers]? Thought this was just idle gossip. :eek:

Could an actual crew member, who we know read this site, confirm the truth?

You to may have heard about the alleged "Secret Guests" [a la secret shoppers]? Thought this was just idle gossip. :eek:

Could an actual crew member, who we know read this site, confirm the truth?

I also heard that checks were being made on luggage being landed at southampton at the end of the cruise. This was because they were losing so many packets of biscuits, they suspected passengers were taking them home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also heard that checks were being made on luggage being landed at southampton at the end of the cruise. This was because they were losing so many packets of biscuits, they suspected passengers were taking them home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Add to this, condiment sets, tea bags, coffee sticks and ash trays, you have to say that certain people's behaviour is actually totally appalling, and has no place on a cruise ship, let alone respectable society.

These cretins know what they are doing, know is is wrong on so many levels, know they are despised, know they are not wanted on a ship, yet still they continue to book cruises, to then swan about the ship in a delusional state, complaining about all and sundry.

Could the time have arrived where CC members start naming these nare do wells?

Edited by PORT ROYAL

I know this is normal and you do have the option of not having it put on you room account if you want to 'tip' personally. But I was just wondering how it works. Does this graturity charge form part of their wages? Also, do P&O keep a percentage of it?

More out of curiosity I ask.

Keith (Southend, UK)

Has your curiosity been satisfied now, Keith? ;)