Automatic graturities charged ?

Southendweather

I know this is normal and you do have the option of not having it put on you room account if you want to 'tip' personally. But I was just wondering how it works. Does this graturity charge form part of their wages? Also, do P&O keep a percentage of it?

More out of curiosity I ask.

Keith (Southend, UK)

A quick search will bring up many discussions on the subject - this forum and other companies.

However, this is from the P and O site:

100% of this amount is distributed to your cabin steward, butler, head waiter, assistant waiter or junior waiter that has looked after you whilst you are with us, this is distributed through our tipping pool.

I know this is normal and you do have the option of not having it put on you room account if you want to 'tip' personally. But I was just wondering how it works. Does this graturity charge form part of their wages? Also, do P&O keep a percentage of it?

More out of curiosity I ask.

Keith (Southend, UK)

From what I've read, on all the cruise forums, no one knows the answer.

The cruiselines certainly haven't provided definitive answers.

Therefore, the majority opinion appears to be, pay the gratuity, hotel charge or whatever it's called and individually tip those who you consider have given you good service.

Most just factor it into their total holiday cost.

Therefore, the majority opinion appears to be, pay the gratuity, hotel charge or whatever it's called and individually tip those who you consider have given you good service.

If the auto tips are removed the crew members must hand in cash given to them, i.e. dining room waiter/cabin steward. If auto tips kept on they are allowed to keep the extra. Your MDR waiter and cabin steward are told by their supervisor if tips are taken off. Failure to hand in cash in such instances results in dismissal from the ship.

In my opinion the P&O UK suggested auto tipping is very reasonable compared to what the American Lines want, i.e. $US 14 per person per diem. At the end of the day though this tipping policy is just a wage subsidy, the cruise lines want the pax to pay some of the service crew wages.

Edited by NSWP

Hi

You have a choice, Personally I prefer to take the tips off, to do so you must go the reception and ask them for the form that enables you to remove tips

Its a ticky box job, very easy !!

I dont believe in tips...

Is this something to be proud of??

I am sure a lot of people just factor in the grats as part of the cost of the cruise.

Religious or cultural reasons?

Cultural - if the person is from certain areas of the UK

In some Cultural areas of the UK it is also Religious, as they must partake in the pilgrimage to Guest Services immediately after boarding.:eek:

Edited by PORT ROYAL

I suppose we can only believe what the companies say - in the case of P and O - 100%. It is a published declaration.

If you look on cruise recruitment sites, the tips do contribute to the salary.

One site states that depending on cruise line, ship size and gratuities from passengers wages are about $2500-$4200 per month.

I suppose we can only believe what the companies say - in the case of P and O - 100%. It is a published declaration.

If you look on cruise recruitment sites, the tips do contribute to the salary.

One site states that depending on cruise line, ship size and gratuities from passengers wages are about $2500-$4200 per month.

That's £2,687.00 per month WOW. Plus free food, accommodation and flights home. Where are the application forms?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the auto tips are removed the crew members must hand in cash given to them, i.e. dining room waiter/cabin steward. If auto tips kept on they are allowed to keep the extra. Your MDR waiter and cabin steward are told by their supervisor if tips are taken off. Failure to hand in cash in such instances results in dismissal from the ship.

This is at odds with the company's statement then:

This charge is discretionary and we believe it represents a fair amount, remaining one of the lowest within the hospitality industry. We strongly believe that this amount should be voluntary and therefore can be varied or removed at the reception desk at any time;

What you are suggesting is that there is no discretion if you attempt to exercise your own discretion and remove the auto-tip and then choose to use your discretion and hand over envelopes directly.

There would only be two forms of discretion - one which is absolute would be to remove the auto-tip and not tip separately - or the other which is limited and involves leaving the auto-tip and tipping additionally on top.

If what you say is the case then it would be more honest to simply incorporate the auto-tips into their pricing - pay the crew more - and allow customers at their discretion to tip directly.

I didn't think we would be having a controversial tipping thread on a P&O forum. It's something you get with predominantly US passengers.

Personally I think P&O gratuities are fair and affordable but it is up to the individual to decide what is best for them.

Most of us on this forum are British and we have been brought up to tip for good service, not because we are told to.

Did you get this information from P&O?

In my opinion the P&O UK suggested auto tipping is very reasonable compared to what the American Lines want, i.e. $US 14 per person per diem. At the end of the day though this tipping policy is just a wage subsidy, the cruise lines want the pax to pay some of the service crew wages.

I think you might be confusing this with other cruise lines. On P&O, if you want to tip the waiters, you tip the waiters - they don't have to share it with the engineers and other backroom staff.

Sorry not sure how to quote...

Somebody asked "religious or cultural reasons" - My reply is neither...

I chose my job and all that it entails and I`m not allowed to accept tips/presents off my customers...

You quote by clicking the "Quote" button in the bottom right of each post.

So do I gather that you have a job that pays a living UK wage and you don't depend on tips, and it is because you have such a substantial wage that you refuse to tip someone who is much worse off than you? Well, I don't know you,. but that seems like a thoroughly mean-minded attitude to me.

P&O, in common with many cruise lines, deliberately pay the waiters and stewards less than other staff because they know they get tips, and they want them to be dependent on tips to encourage them to do a good job. Whether that's a good thing or not is a matter for a different discussion. But if you as a passenger have the attitude that you don't get tips on your £800 a week, so on a point of principle you refuse to give tips to a man who works harder than you do for £50 a week (all figures estimated), then it's shabby.

Please feel free to correct if I have misunderstood all your posts.

I think you might be confusing this with other cruise lines. On P&O, if you want to tip the waiters, you tip the waiters - they don't have to share it with the engineers and other backroom staff.

The poster you quote is not saying they do, re the back room staff.

The P&O position is very clear as posted above. Cabin steward, and waiters in the dining room. The people it was suggested you tip in the booklet you were given a few years ago before auto tips were introduced.

We find the auto tips so much easier. All the staff we have had have been excellent and have deserved our gratitude.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Been reading with interest this thread on auto tips. We have just disembarked earlier this month from Arcadia. We always leave the auto gratuity on but got the impression that our waiters were wanting an 'extra tip' on the last night. It made me feel very uncomfortable.

On the morning of disembarkation we went for breakfast in the MDR (which we have done every morning). Our waiter was always there at breakfast showing people to empty tables and very chatty with us during the holiday but on this particular morning he completely blanked us. It was not very nice. Has anyone else had this experience? Do most people still tip extra to their waiters even though they leave the auto gratuity on?:confused:

We leave the auto tips on and find it much easier than having to take cash for tips and put it in envelopes which is what used to happen. As far as the last night is concerned I think maybe it's us passengers who are used to the old system and we feel uncomfortable the last night not handing over envelopes as we did previously. I have never felt that the waiters are looking round for tips on the last evening.

Sometimes I think we all worry too much about where the money goes, who gets it and who doesn't - it's not really our business; it's up to the staff who take on the particular job be it waiter or cabin steward. Having spoken to many of them over the years it's a job they want to do - we spoke to one much older waiter on Adonia who told us proudly that his son is now working for P&O and that he has really enjoyed his many years and has seen so much of the world. According to him there's a waiting list for people to join P&O which must say something.

Been reading with interest this thread on auto tips. We have just disembarked earlier this month from Arcadia. We always leave the auto gratuity on but got the impression that our waiters were wanting an 'extra tip' on the last night. It made me feel very uncomfortable.

On the morning of disembarkation we went for breakfast in the MDR (which we have done every morning). Our waiter was always there at breakfast showing people to empty tables and very chatty with us during the holiday but on this particular morning he completely blanked us. It was not very nice. Has anyone else had this experience? Do most people still tip extra to their waiters even though they leave the auto gratuity on?:confused:

We look a tips in what is considered a fair way. On other lines we are happy to pay around $12.50 per day, with extra for excellent service. Therefore we give the same amount on P&O ships by topping up their Scrooge like auto tip with an envelope. Then again additional for excellence. Therefore, we tip exactly the same to all. ;).

It costs us nothing more.:)

Have never been ignored by staff.

It is down to individuals to consider what they consider to be fair. To some, it is a preordained decision to just remove tips and stiff the staff, because they wish to. Others remove tips as they feel it is better for them if this small amount of money is retained in their own pockets.

Edited by PORT ROYAL