Vancouver airport to ship-enough time ?

Merry Christmas!

Having sailed out of Vancouver a few times, I think that there would not be enough time to get to the ship unless you're a real risk taker. Most cruise lines want you to be checked in 90 minutes to 2 hours before the ship sails so that would use most of the 2-1/2 hours you have. Also flights do not always arrive on time and you still have to get your luggage, clear customs and get a cab to the port, which is not near the airport. So, in my opinion unless you're a real gambler, I would consider a different flight.

NO!!! Please do not try this. I would come in the day before because if for some reason your flight is delayed or you get delayed either in the airport or traffic you would miss your cruise. Vancouver traffic is like any other very large city- very unpredictable. If I remember the airport is 18 to 20 miles from downtown Vancouver.

A suggestion would be to fly in the day before, stay at whatever the Norwegian partnership hotel and purchase the transfer from the hotel to the ship. Makes it really easy. Have done it a couple of times- no hassles.

Like the other posters. I would definitely recommend flying in the day before. When we flew into Vancouver, it felt like we waited in the customs line forever, but we also travelled from Florida, so we were ready to be done with the planes and airports.

Vancouver is a great city, so you could explore for a few hours. I am not sure where you are traveling from, but for us it was also helpful to get used to the time change.

The NCL Sun departs Vancouver at 4:00 PM (September 21)

The non-stop flight that is available to us arrives at the YVR airport at 1:30 PM

Opinions' date=' please, whether this is a doable connection - or - do we need to arrive the day before ?[/color']

Another No vote...

• 1:30pm Assuming this is your actual landing time
  • 2:00pm average time to deplane, retrieve luggage, clear customs and get a taxi. If you can't find your luggage or get randomly selected for additional screening... you might not leave until 3pm or longer
  • 2:45pm takes about 30 to 45 minutes for cab to reach cruise ship terminal.

By this time, you are too late to board and you still haven't gone through terminal customs, screening (luggage, carry-on, hand, body, optional cavity), and registration.

I say arrive a few days early and check out the bonus port of Vancouver. In addition to downtown hotels, you can find affordable hotels around the airport and be downtown on the subway in 20 minutes. Ever bin to China? Some say staying around Richmond is like travelling to the Orient.

Edited by xlxo

Hopefully you get the clear message from these posts that this plan is definitely not recommended.

Add to the mix, it doesn't sound like you have even been here before? Which slows you down further. I have been stuck in long lines at this airport several times.

IF you continue with this plan, then my only suggestion is to pack light and take the Skytrain. You can not have any mobility limitations and much be able to manage all of your own bags.

The non-stop flight that is available to us arrives at the YVR airport at 1:30 PM

Opinions' date=' please, whether this is a doable connection - or - do we need to arrive the day before ?

THANK YOU

(and Merry Christmas !) [/color']

The of your arrival is the same time frame that many flights from Asia arrive. Vancouver is the gateway for many flights from Asia to Canada.

I would recommend that you arrive the day before or in the early morning.

With flights from Asia , customs can be a two or three hour process.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

DAY BEFORE repeat DAY BEFORE

Reread reasons why this is important.

Enjoy you cruise.

Last year we took a flight into Seattle the night before, then the train the next morning (from Seattle to Vancouver) - train arrived in Vancouver at 10:30 AM- easy, peasy - taxi to ship

Guess we will do that again !

Thank you to all

I work for CBP at a major U.S. airport. Please take me very seriously when I say that this is a really, really, really BAD idea. You're looking at 2.5 hours between your landing time and when you MUST be on the ship, and that's if you have no departure/arrival delays. That's not counting the time at immigration/customs or waiting for your luggage to be unloaded (which can take a long time if there are issues with weather, since they aren't allowed to move about the ramp if there is lightning). We have people every single day that spend more than 2.5 hours at my airport before they're finished with picking up their luggage, immigration, and customs. We also have people that complain very frequently that they've missed their connections. You know what we tell them? "Sorry you missed your flight, but you were the one that scheduled your flights, not us."

I would hate you see you miss your cruise because you tried to save a little money by flying in so late. Remember, you may think you have enough time, but you don't control the weather, the condition of the plane, the labor relations of the airline/airport, or the number of other flights arriving at the same time.

I work for CBP at a major U.S. airport. Please take me very seriously when I say that this is a really, really, really BAD idea. You're looking at 2.5 hours between your landing time and when you MUST be on the ship, and that's if you have no departure/arrival delays. That's not counting the time at immigration/customs or waiting for your luggage to be unloaded (which can take a long time if there are issues with weather, since they aren't allowed to move about the ramp if there is lightning). We have people every single day that spend more than 2.5 hours at my airport before they're finished with picking up their luggage, immigration, and customs. We also have people that complain very frequently that they've missed their connections. You know what we tell them? "Sorry you missed your flight, but you were the one that scheduled your flights, not us."

I would hate you see you miss your cruise because you tried to save a little money by flying in so late. Remember, you may think you have enough time, but you don't control the weather, the condition of the plane, the labor relations of the airline/airport, or the number of other flights arriving at the same time.

Thank You ! - Will heed your advice !

Last year we took a flight into Seattle the night before' date=' then the train the next morning (from Seattle to Vancouver) - train arrived in Vancouver at 10:30 AM- easy, peasy - taxi to ship

Guess we will do that again !

Thank you to all[/color']

Another comment - flights into Seattle are less expensive than flights into

Vancouver and taking AmTrak doesn't present the immediate CBP problems

at the airport.

Over night stays at hotels in either SEA or YVR are comparable for price.

Taking Amtrak is an excellent idea and better than using the Cruise Ship

Chartered Motor Coach transfer service or other Shuttle service.

Any of these do not however bypass the CBP check points.

I don't know how the CBP clearance is done for the train - the chartered

buses and shuttles have to stop at the border for a physical check.

You can take AmTrak in advance a few days with no ties to the Cruise schedule.

Shuttle buses you can do that also but check for reduced scheduling

on dates no ship is in port and of course the Cruise Ships transfer does not

operate at all with no ship in port.

Opinions' date=' please, whether this is a doable connection - or - do we need to arrive the day before ?

THANK YOU

Oh, definitely go the day before. The what--ifs caused by same day flights would be so stressful. Also, try not to book a very early flight home on disembarkation day. Mid afternoon is best, in case there are hiccups when leaving the ship.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

THANK YOU

I really suspect that you knew the answer to this question already, but wanted reassurance. Go a day early and enjoy what Vancouver has to offer. Enjoy!

Taking Amtrak is an excellent idea and better than using the Cruise Ship

Chartered Motor Coach transfer service or other Shuttle service.

Any of these do not however bypass the CBP check points.

I don't know how the CBP clearance is done for the train - the chartered

buses and shuttles have to stop at the border for a physical check.

You can take AmTrak in advance a few days with no ties to the Cruise schedule.

Shuttle buses you can do that also but check for reduced scheduling

on dates no ship is in port and of course the Cruise Ships transfer does not

operate at all with no ship in port.

Customs for the train is handled at the Vancouver train station when you arrive/depart. Buses are handled at the Douglas crossing where you pull your luggage off the bus across a scanner.

While the train is scenic' date=' you need to factor...

[list']

[*]cost and time to get from airport to Seattle train station

[*]longer trip as it meanders in Canada to the Vancouver train station

[*]cost and time for taxi from Vancouver train station to your hotel

Here's the $50 Seattle shuttle that gets you from the Seattle airport to cruise terminal or Vancouver hotels.

http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm

If you want scenery and have time.... you can also consider orca whale watching your way from Vancouver to Seattle via Victoria. Yes they allow for luggage.

http://princeofwhales.com/seattle-tour/seattle-whales-vancouver

Customs for the train is handled at the Vancouver train station when you arrive/depart. Buses are handled at the Douglas crossing where you pull your luggage off the bus across a scanner.

While the train is scenic, you need to factor...

• cost and time to get from airport to Seattle train station
  • longer trip as it meanders in Canada to the Vancouver train station
  • cost and time for taxi from Vancouver train station to your hotel

Here's the $50 Seattle shuttle that gets you from the Seattle airport to cruise terminal or Vancouver hotels.

http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm

If you want scenery and have time.... you can also consider orca whale watching your way from Vancouver to Seattle via Victoria. Yes they allow for luggage.

http://princeofwhales.com/seattle-tour/seattle-whales-vancouver

Again - thanks to all that replied - yes - I had a feeling that it would be pushing it to far - to try to arrive by plane just a few hours prior to ships departure - we have taken over 25 cruises - and have only traveled into the departure port city on the same day a couple of times - I think San Diego and Sydney - anyway ---

We did enjoy the train from Seattle to Vancouver - the last time we cruised out of Vancouver - so much easier customs clearance - and easy to take a taxi to the ship (and really inexpensive)

I really suspect that you knew the answer to this question already, but wanted reassurance. Go a day early and enjoy what Vancouver has to offer. Enjoy!

I am so glad I did this for my Alaska cruise. Vancouver is a lovely place to explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk