We Sailed Royal! A comparison from a frequent Carnival cruise...

Hello all and Merry Christmas!

Yesterday we returned from our first RCCl cruise in well over 10 years! We sailed Liberty of the Seas 4-nighter from Ft Lauderdale to Cozumel and back. The cruise was wonderful and a great holiday getaway. I thought I'd write a few notes to compare our observations and experiences with a typical Carnival Cruise.

We sail Carnival for a week every summer but decided to forgo a big Christmas and do a short cruise to hold us over until June. Surprisingly, RCCL was the best price and we were even able to have our two teens in one room and my husband and I in a connecting room. That made a huge difference and may have spoiled us!

Embarkation:

We drove from Tampa super early on Saturday, dropped our car at my in-laws in Boca Raton, and had them drop us at the port. Port Everglades is a lot closer than Miami so we enjoyed the quick drive.

We arrive about 10:20 a.m. and a small line of about 30-40 had formed in front of the security door. At 10:45 they let us into the building to pass through the security station. We went through the check in process quickly, got our photo, and then sat in assigned chairs awaiting boarding.

Where Carnival is laid back, RCCL is very rigid which made this part a bit strange. They literally told you exactly where to sit and it was all very regimented. Not a big deal as they don't have a lot of space so have to use it wisely but it was interesting. At 11:30 we boarded the ship!

Who wins: I'm going to give this one to Carnival. Port of Miami has a very welcoming space and you can sit inside the whole time (even when we arrive at 10. This looked like a warehouse and was just too structured. Both ships do a good job of getting you on early though.

Windjammer:

We headed up for lunch and were one of the first to arrive. The Windjammer space is really nice with great views. My son (15) thought it was a little too fancy for his liking but the rest of us were impressed. I liked that the drinks are ready for you to grab and go. Food was great, service was nice, and we were in and out quickly.

Throughout the week we visited WJ a few more times. Breakfast was awesome--tons of choices! Dinner was also delish. They had a cheese bar, sushi all the time, just tons and tons to choose from for each meal.

Who Wins: Definitely RCCL! I had heard RCCL was subpar on food but overall we found the food to be a little better quality. My son was the only one to disagree. He really missed Guys Burger and the Taco bar. My daughter (12) absolutely thought RCCL blew Carnival out of the water in the food dept. Hubby and I thought they had a slight edge.

More to come....

Edited by CruisinTeacher4

Rooms:

We really missed having Faster to the Fun on this cruise and having to wait until 1 p.m. for rooms to open. We walked around the ship for a bit and then waited with a million others until the 1 p.m. opening of the doors. Rooms were nice. We could not have fit 4 in there but for two we loved it. We usually have a balcony room so having a standard inside cabin was something different. It didn't bother me though. I loved having a door on the shower! And as I said before, I loved not having to clean up after my kids and having a little privacy. Beds were comfortable but were very shaky--esp on the last night when the seas picked up.

Who Wins: Toss-up on this one. I like RC bathrooms better but Carnival comfort beds better. Overall about the same.

Thanks for this review. We chose Royal Caribbean over Carnival for our first cruise because of Carnival's "party" reputation. Since Royal Caribbean is leaving New Orleans after this spring, we will probably have to cruise on Carnival in the future. It will be nice to see a comparison between the two.

Edited by Raxter54

Yesterday we returned from our first RCCl cruise in well over 10 years! We sailed Liberty of the Seas 4-nighter from Ft Lauderdale to Cozumel and back. The cruise was wonderful and a great holiday getaway. I thought I'd write a few notes to compare our observations and experiences with a typical Carnival Cruise.

We sail Carnival for a week every summer but decided to forgo a big Christmas and do a short cruise to hold us over until June. Surprisingly, RCCL was the best price and we were even able to have our two teens in one room and my husband and I in a connecting room. That made a huge difference and may have spoiled us!

Embarkation:

We drove from Tampa super early on Saturday, dropped our car at my in-laws in Boca Raton, and had them drop us at the port. Port Everglades is a lot closer than Miami so we enjoyed the quick drive.

We arrive about 10:20 a.m. and a small line of about 30-40 had formed in front of the security door. At 10:45 they let us into the building to pass through the security station. We went through the check in process quickly, got our photo, and then sat in assigned chairs awaiting boarding.

Where Carnival is laid back, RCCL is very rigid which made this part a bit strange. They literally told you exactly where to sit and it was all very regimented. Not a big deal as they don't have a lot of space so have to use it wisely but it was interesting. At 11:30 we boarded the ship!

Who wins: I'm going to give this one to Carnival. Port of Miami has a very welcoming space and you can sit inside the whole time (even when we arrive at 10. This looked like a warehouse and was just too structured. Both ships do a good job of getting you on early though.

Windjammer:

We headed up for lunch and were one of the first to arrive. The Windjammer space is really nice with great views. My son (15) thought it was a little too fancy for his liking but the rest of us were impressed. I liked that the drinks are ready for you to grab and go. Food was great, service was nice, and we were in and out quickly.

Throughout the week we visited WJ a few more times. Breakfast was awesome--tons of choices! Dinner was also delish. They had a cheese bar, sushi all the time, just tons and tons to choose from for each meal.

Who Wins: Definitely RCCL! I had heard RCCL was subpar on food but overall we found the food to be a little better quality. My son was the only one to disagree. He really missed Guys Burger and the Taco bar. My daughter (12) absolutely thought RCCL blew Carnival out of the water in the food dept. Hubby and I thought they had a slight edge.

More to come....

I am enjoying reading your careful comparisons, and how you are also sharing the viewpoints of your teens. And I am especially impressed that you are taking your personal time on the holiday!

:)

Thanks for all the positive comments. Let's keep going!

Sail Aways:

Okay, sorry RC fans but sailaway parties are rough!! I know RC is competing with Disney but these little choreographed shows by Shrek and the gang is just so silly and random. This is where I was really missing Carnival. Just was not a celebration like we are used to. I can't believe I'm saying this but I really missed hearing "Wobble" a hundred times per cruise--ha ha! We headed up to the top deck and watched the ship pull out but there wasn't a real sense of fun during this sailaway or the one from Cozumel.

Who Wins: Carnival, definitely. I know the dances and party staff aren't for everyone but we wished there were a few more festivities.

MDR:

We chose the My Time Dining option as we do on Carnival, too. My only issue was having to make a reservation for MTD--isn't that the whole point of choosing this option--NOT having to make a reservation??? I much prefer just being able to show up whenever we are ready but it was fine. There was a bit of a line but it passed quickly.

They did not have lobster on the 4 night cruise (boo!!!!) but overall the food was tasty and served in a timely manner. Wait staff was attentive and service very good overall.

Who Wins: About even though it was nice to have a new menu to choose from--we've had the Carnival menu for so long that there really isn't any newness to it.

Entertainment:

We watched In the Air, the ice show, Saturday Night Fever, and Tony Tillman (Las Vegas entertainer). This is where RC really shines! I could not believe the professionalism and grandness of the productions. The sets were amazing, the entertainers were top notch, and the overall performances were heads above Carnival. As my husband said as we left the In the Air performance, "That was no Jazz Hot!"

Who Wins: RC by a lot! The only area where Carnival has them is the comedians which I really missed.

Ship:

Our last Carnival cruise was this past summer on the Breeze. We loved the Breeze and are looking to sail her again next summer. That said, the Liberty is an amazing ship! Flowrider, rock walls, tons of pool space, the Promenade, ice skating, etc give cruisers a ton to do during the day. Carnival has a huge water slide area on the Breeze as well as a ropes course. Both ships have full basketball courts.

Who Wins: I'll give this one to RC but will also say the lines are an issue. Lots to do but expect to wait in line to do it.

Enjoying you're review.

We sailed on FOS this summer for the first time after 11 Carnival cruises.

Each cruiseline has its own pluses and minuses when comparing.

At the end of the day, I found both lines are more alike than different.

Missed Carnivals "Fun" though.

Side Note: for those who think fun and party = drunk and sloppy,,,, you're remembering your college days;) not today's Carnival Cruises.

Thank you for the review. We have always been loyal Carnival until this past year. Had our first cruise with Princess and Carnival was so much better except for tne entertainment. Now we are sailing on our first cruise with RCCL in a couple of weeks. May I ask a question please....it may sound really silly....what is a "grab and go" drink? Thank you so much...I really feel a little embarrased to ask. :)

So far I'm agreeing with most of your observations! Nice to see a balanced review instead of the "it was all GREAT or "it all sucked" reviews which are worthless!

Oh, and I really agree about getting two cabins. We did this when we sailed on the Enchantment of the Seas last summer and it really spoiled us as well. The best part is that the cost difference was roughly only $40 per cabin!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

So....question...I have sailed exclusively RC out of Port Everglades YUP ON LIBERTY and RC ENCHANTMENT out of Canaveral..being from Tampa have you sailed out of your home port ? I'm from Wesley Chapel and thinking about sailing closer to home...I understand ship size is an issue because of the bridge...would you consider it or are you happy with the schlep south...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Embarkation:

Windjammer:

More to come....

Our Liberty cruises have always been perfect. Looking forward to her coming up to Bayonne.

Thank you for the review. We have always been loyal Carnival until this past year. Had our first cruise with Princess and Carnival was so much better except for tne entertainment. Now we are sailing on our first cruise with RCCL in a couple of weeks. May I ask a question please....it may sound really silly....what is a "grab and go" drink? Thank you so much...I really feel a little embarrased to ask. :)

Not silly…after all, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!;)

Grab and Go just means that the drink areas have trays of glasses pre-filled with ice water, iced tea, fruit flavored water on ice, lemonade, etc. So you can just grab a glass of your drink of choice from one of the stations in the Windjammer. These are non-alcoholic drinks. There's also a bar in the WJ if you want to stop by to get an adult beverage.

Have a great first RCCL cruise!:)

Judy

My last few cruises were on Carnival but my last cruise was RCL. I had sailed RCL before but not for several years .I found the rooms comparable to Carnival . The Windjammer had lots of selections but nothing was labeled so it was hard to find our way around . The MDR food was delicious with great service much better than Carnival except for desserts .The entertainment was slightly better than Carnival but I missed the Comedy shows . The daytime activities were lacking .Carnival does a better job in this department .I enjoyed the park Cafe but it is in an awkward space and hard to find . Carnival's deli is much more accessible All in all I would go on either line depending on the itinerary and since Carnival has limited itself to mainly the Caribbean I will be sailing with RCL.

Not silly…after all, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!;)

Grab and Go just means that the drink areas have trays of glasses pre-filled with ice water, iced tea, fruit flavored water on ice, lemonade, etc. So you can just grab a glass of your drink of choice from one of the stations in the Windjammer. These are non-alcoholic drinks. There's also a bar in the WJ if you want to stop by to get an adult beverage.

Have a great first RCCL cruise!:)

Judy

Thank you. I figured this was the answer, but what is the purpose? Looks like there would be a lot of watered down drinks. So another question, is this the only option of getting your drink. Just not sure I like the idea of a pre-filled drink. I can worry about the smallest, silliest things! LOL Thanks again.

Thank you. I figured this was the answer' date=' but what is the purpose? Looks like there would be a lot of watered down drinks. So another question, is this the only option of getting your drink. Just not sure I like the idea of a pre-filled drink. I can worry about the smallest, silliest things! LOL Thanks again.[/quote']

There is still a self service drink area, but having the availability of ready to go drinks expedites things and keeps the line down in the self serve area. It also guarantees a standard of cleanliness in the dispensing of a drink that likely is superior to that in the self serve area. (Who knows who has touched what?)

Most of the time demand is such, and drinks are picked up quickly enough by diners and waiters, that the drinks don't have time to become watered down. I usually get the fruit water, and my only complaint is that it sometimes doesn't have enough ice. So I ask and the guy behind the counter puts extra ice in my drink.

Judy

There is still a self service drink area, but having the availability of ready to go drinks expedites things and keeps the line down in the self serve area. It also guarantees a standard of cleanliness in the dispensing of a drink that likely is superior to that in the self serve area. (Who knows who has touched what?)

Most of the time demand is such, and drinks are picked up quickly enough by diners and waiters, that the drinks don't have time to become watered down. I usually get the fruit water, and my only complaint is that it sometimes doesn't have enough ice. So I ask and the guy behind the counter puts extra ice in my drink.

Judy

Thank you again for your help. I'm the same way, have to have a lot of ice in my drink and yet Drew prefers no ice. We both are a bit of a germaphobe so I was really a little freaked at first! LOL Thanks again for clearing this up for me. Looking forward to our first cruise with them.