Explore the wonders of South America with Cruzin Terri and Jim

Cruzin Terri

WSW568.jpg

One week from today, January 3, 2015, we will board the MS Prinsendam for our first Grand Voyage. Jim and I will board in Fort Lauderdale and continue on for 37 days until we disembark in Buenos Aires on February 9, 2015.

The ship will continue to Brazil and into the Amazon but sadly we cannot stay on for that part of the voyage. As many of you are aware, we are caregivers for Jim’s developmentally disabled brother and we just do not feel comfortable leaving him for that long. So we are crossing our fingers and toes and saying all the prayers we know that all goes well and taking a much needed vacation. We have a wonderful caregiver who will be looking after him while we are gone.

I wish to backtrack to August and again thank all of you who were so supportive while we were in Rome and Jim required emergency surgery. Your much need advice and support was greatly appreciated. He is doing quite well and we are eagerly looking forward to this Grand Voyage.

This is our second voyage to South America. We were fortunate enough to do a repositioning cruise on the MS Veendam in March 2012 for 31 days. . When we disembarked the Veendam in Fort Lauderdale in April 2012, I did so kicking and screaming. I had a wonderful time and I wanted the ship to turn around and do it over. I vowed I would go back to South America. So my dream is coming true.

On that cruise we did a pre-cruise trip to Iguazu Falls to both the Argentine and Brazil sides and then did an overland trip to Machu Picchu from Lima for three nights with Abercrombie and Kent

On this voyage we will forgo those trips. However, we will visit some of the same ports and some new ones. We will be stopping in Isla de Providencia, Colombia, an English Speaking Island off the coast of Nicaragua; Puerto Limon, Guatemala: Isla Robinson Crusoe: an overnight in Valparaiso, Chile; and we will go into the Antarctic Sound.

Additionally we will see some of the ports we had to skip because of our overland trip. We will be able to tour Trujillo (Salaverry), Peru and the Chan Chan ruins; we will have two overnights in Lima and be able to see more of that city than we did the last time. We have a stop in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands, which we missed on the last cruise due to rough seas and high winds. We hope for better conditions on this voyage.

We have mostly private tours booked in the various ports. In some ports, we plan to stay in town or just get a taxi. I speak Spanish fluently, which will be a big help as it was the last time. I love interacting with the people. For me it is the best part of the trip.

We will be taking the HAL tour in Punta Arenas to Torres del Paine National Park. This involves a plane ride to Puerto Natales and then a long bus ride into the park. We pray for good weather so that we can take advantage of what is supposed to be spectacular scenery.

Won’t you come along? I promise to post as often as I can and try to add pictures as well.

I have also started a blog. It is my first attempt, so please don’t be too critical.

The link is http://www.cruzinterri.blogspot.com

Terri and Jim

Terri, thanks for the invite. I am very excited for you for this voyage, especially after what happened to you last time.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you two and thank you for letting us cruise vicariously through you.

I hope you have a fantastic time and can only pretend I am there.

We loved South America when we were there but the flights were long, this is a much more civilized way to do it :)

Looking forward to following along.

OH, before I forget Terri, if it is of any help, there is a home of Pablo Neruda's in Valparaisio. It was small but I was enchanted. He has several but this one has his original works. the entrance fee was very minor when we went. Just in case it is of interest.

OH, before I forget Terri, if it is of any help, there is a home of Pablo Neruda's in Valparaisio. It was small but I was enchanted. He has several but this one has his original works. the entrance fee was very minor when we went. Just in case it is of interest.

Jacqui, We will definitely go there, having studied Latin American literature both in college and grad school. We have a tour for part of the day compliments of our Travel Agency and then free the rest of the first day. The second day we are meeting a friend of Jim's who is a missionary priest in Chile, stationed in Santiago. He will travel to Valparaiso to spend the day with us as he did the last time.

But one of the places I am really interested in seeing is Vicuna and Monte Grande from our stop in Coquimbo. It is where Gabriela Mistral was born and lived. She is the other Chilean poet who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1945. I did my thesis on her. Coincidentally she and my grandmother were born on the same day. I love her works and have many of her poetry books.

The last time we went to the town of Vicuna and I had all of five minutes in the museum and had to argue with the others on the tour for that time. Never got to Monte Grande. This time Jim and I are going there alone. I have already arranged a driver.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

CruiseDetails.action%3FvoyageCode%3DP510A%26offerActionType%3D%26offerType%3D%26offerCode%3D

The above is the map that I should have posted originally since we are disembarking in Buenos Aires. Sorry for the mistake.

I should add that post cruise we are spending three days in Buenos Aires and two more in Santiago prior to flying home.

Thank you for sharing our journey with us.

Terri and Jim

Terri, So happy to see that you and Jim are getting back on a DAM ship. Barb and I and Kathi are starting our adventure on the Statendam on Jan 29th out of Ft. Lauderdale - through the Panama Canal to San Diego (15 days) then on to Hawaii then to the South Pacific and back to San Diego (30 days).

We are also booked for the Voyage of the Vikings in Summer of 2015.

Enjoy your cruise - I will be following on CC and your Blog.

Have an absolutely wonderful cruise. Is this your first time on the Elegant Explorer? If so it should be a real treat. I'd love to watch your sailaway, but will miss it from the Ryndam. Bookmarking your thread.

Roy

Jacqui, We will definitely go there, having studied Latin American literature both in college and grad school. We have a tour for part of the day compliments of our Travel Agency and then free the rest of the first day. The second day we are meeting a friend of Jim's who is a missionary priest in Chile, stationed in Santiago. He will travel to Valparaiso to spend the day with us as he did the last time.

But one of the places I am really interested in seeing is Vicuna and Monte Grande from our stop in Coquimbo. It is where Gabriela Mistral was born and lived. She is the other Chilean poet who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1945. I did my thesis on her. Coincidentally she and my grandmother were born on the same day. I love her works and have many of her poetry books.

The last time we went to the town of Vicuna and I had all of five minutes in the museum and had to argue with the others on the tour for that time. Never got to Monte Grande. This time Jim and I are going there alone. I have already arranged a driver.

Terri

Wow - talk about a small world. I studied Gabriela as well but did my thesis on Pablo Neruda's work ;)

Sounds like wonderful planning :D Enjoy:D

I'm so excited that you're finally getting to take your cruise, even though it isn't the one originally planned. Also glad your DH is well again and you are ready to take on the world once more! Good health and safe travels to both of you; thank you for the invitation to join you.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Today was a day of decisions! Many of them. I'm still not finished.

I have read of people sending luggage ahead and always thought "Why would someone spend the money to do this?" Well, after Jim's crisis in Rome and his lifting limitations, guess what we did? We sent our luggage ahead.

The people who are taking the full cruise who are in an Ocean View cabin or higher get free luggage delivery to and from their homes to the ship if they live in the United States or Canada. Those in Interior Cabins, or not doing the full cruise do not receive this benefit. Those in countries other than the US or Canada get an extra $200 OBC. This was an early booking benefit for those paying in full prior to July 1, 2014.

Well, we did not qualify because we were not doing the full cruise and had no intention of sending any luggage ahead until things changed in August. We figured on sending the heaviest bag ahead and home from Buenos Aires and bringing another with us.

So how is that working for me. Not too well. I have one bag full and no where to put the rest of my stuff. Jim wants to know what I'm bringing. So now I'm starting another bag. Remember, we're flying from Buenos Aires to Santiago and then staying two days and then to Miami. I think I needed to send two bags ahead. ARRRGGGGH!!!!!

We're packing for all sorts of climates and I guess I want to take everything I own with me. So the weeding out process must now begin.

I want to again thank all the well wishers. I hope I can live up to your expectations and not bore you to death.

Ted, Barb and Kathi, enjoy your cruise. I hope we cruise together again. The Hawaii S. Pacific should be fun as well as the VoV.

ger_77: We do plan on a Mediterranean makeover cruise in July. This one was in the works before Jim became ill.

Thank you again to everyone who is following along.

Terri and Jim.