Dress code

MyView

Hi,

Am new to RCCL, have always cruised with Celebrity. I have read the FAQ page and checked out cruise critic forum as well prior to asking for help.

Regarding dress code, two formal nights seem easy to understand but am confused about smart casual, especially for men. We will be sailing on the Independence of the Seas and leave in six days for the Caribbean. Would appreciate some insight on what is appropriate apparel. Do men need jackets?

Thanks

Catherine:)

What is typically seen on formal night, is jacket, dress pants, dress shirt and tie optional. (Some people wear tuxedos).

On the causal formal night, typically you see dress pants and a shirt.

But even on formal nights you will still see people with shorts and flip flops on occasion.

t am confused about smart casual, especially for men. We will be sailing on the Independence of the Seas and leave in six days for the Caribbean. Would appreciate some insight on what is appropriate apparel. Do men need jackets?

Thanks

No. Completely optional.

What is typically seen on formal night, is jacket, dress pants, dress shirt and tie optional. (Some people wear tuxedos).

On the causal formal night, typically you see dress pants and a shirt.

But even on formal nights you will still see people with shorts and flip flops on occasion.

There is no such thing as a casual formal night. :confused:

Hi,

Am new to RCCL, have always cruised with Celebrity. I have read the FAQ page and checked out cruise critic forum as well prior to asking for help.

Regarding dress code, two formal nights seem easy to understand but am confused about smart casual, especially for men. We will be sailing on the Independence of the Seas and leave in six days for the Caribbean. Would appreciate some insight on what is appropriate apparel. Do men need jackets?

Thanks

Maybe 10 percent might have jackets, most people will have Dockers and a shirt with a collar.

My husband and adult sons wear Docker type Khaki pants and polo shirts or similar for casual and smart casual nights. They wear suits with dress shirts and ties for formal nights. My daughter in law wears dresses for formal nights as do I and she also wears nice dresses on casual nights. I tend to wear nice pants with a cute top for casual nights. None of us ever wear shorts or flip flops to the MDR.

Mary Anne

Just off Christmas sailing of Oasis. People wore shorts and flip flops to main dining room every night. We were in gowns and tuxes on formal night, next to t shirts and flip flops. Not amused.

Not many people in Tux's anymore ( I still wear mine )

Hi,

Thanks

nope. on Royal you find it FAR more laid back and RARELY will anyone be turned away at the MDR like you tend to see more frequently on Celebrity. maybe basketball shorts on anyone older than 8 would be frowned upon.

a pair of slacks and collared shirt (polo, etc) is perfectly fine. to dress it up for Formal night, add a tie to a button down shirt.

nope. on Royal you find it FAR more laid back and RARELY will anyone be turned away at the MDR like you tend to see more frequently on Celebrity. maybe basketball shorts on anyone older than 8 would be frowned upon.

a pair of slacks and collared shirt (polo, etc) is perfectly fine. to dress it up for Formal night, add a tie to a button down shirt.

Agree that you will rarely see anyone turned away from the MDR, even wearing "dress" shorts.

However, I still think a jacket/suit is the norm for formal night - not just a shirt and tie. On our last cruise (Oasis July of this year), the majority of men and young boys were wearing a tux or suit. We were on second seating as a family with three adults and three young children - perhaps second seating is "dressier."

Thanks so much for the great input. Very helpful:)

We are looking forward to our first RCCL cruise experience. It is actually sort of a dry run because we want to take our 14 year old grandson on the Oasis this July.

Again thanks for the help, gotta luv cruise critic folks.

Catherine

Agree that you will rarely see anyone turned away from the MDR, even wearing "dress" shorts.

However, I still think a jacket/suit is the norm for formal night - not just a shirt and tie. On our last cruise (Oasis July of this year), the majority of men and young boys were wearing a tux or suit. We were on second seating as a family with three adults and three young children - perhaps second seating is "dressier."

I agree second seating seems to be dressier. DH always wears a tux and is not in the minority - or at least people are wearing dark suits. I have never seen anyone in shorts. I feel like the earlier sitting probably appeals more to those with young families who may be looking for a more casual vacation? Just my experience.

Thanks so much for the great input. Very helpful:)

We are looking forward to our first RCCL cruise experience. It is actually sort of a dry run because we want to take our 14 year old grandson on the Oasis this July.

Again thanks for the help, gotta luv cruise critic folks.

Catherine

Please come back and let us know the dress code and a quick review - we are sailing on IOS 1/17 and really wondering the same - Thanks

My husband and I will dress up, but my son 8yrs doesn't own a suit nor would he wear one! 😕.

I will have him in a button shirt, dress pants and dress shoes - will this pass for formal night on Jewel of the -Sea Southern Caribbean?

(we're new to cruising)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Cruisingfamilyx10

My husband and I will dress up, but my son 8yrs doesn't own a suit nor would he wear one! 😕.

I will have him in a button shirt, dress pants and dress shoes - will this pass for formal night on Jewel of the -Sea Southern Caribbean?

(we're new to cruising)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes this is fine - on any RCI ship :)

Hi,

Thanks

Seems in all the "gee I don't want to dress on formal night" flurry, many missed your question. Seems you stated "formal night seems easy to understand." So no question there. As to "smart casual," that is now what Royal Caribbean (as Celebrity) calls what we older cruisers used to call "casual." The dress code is no different than on Celebrity. If you want to be dressed according to the "suggested dress code," dress as you would for a normal night on Celebrity. If you want to not follow the "suggested dress code," then do as others do, and simply dress however you please. There is a greater percentage wearing t-shirts and jeans to dinner. Shorts and T-shirts are specifically banned, however no one seems to turn those dressed in such away. It could happen, but t-shirts seem routine and shorts are gaining steam. Here is a "cut and paste" form Royal Caribbean defining the exact "suggested dress." Hope this better answers your actual question.

"Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch. "

Edited by papaflamingo