Specialty restaurant cover charge for suites on 3 day cruise

RSF Cruiser

In the fine print for suite amenities, it states the no cover for specialty restaurants is on cruises 6 days or longer, meaning we won't get one on our upcoming 3 day cruise. Has anyone staying in a suite on a 3 day cruise been able to eat in a specialty restaurant on the first night for no cover charge? I wonder if the actual practice varies from the policy. I will ask about it when I board the Crown, but was curious to hear about what people have experienced.

Unfortunately, it depends upon the ship. There was a post a year or two ago that a couple doing two one day cruises to/from Vancouver were offered a free meal on one of the cruises. We were offered a fee meal on a for day cruise earlier this year from San Pedro. Haven't seen posts of free dinners on the short cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale though. The policy is no free dinner on the short cruises but you might be surprised if you sail from the west coast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Don't know about a 3 day, but on our recent 5 day we got the complimentary dinner on embarkation night. I wasn't expecting it since the cruise was less than 6 days, and was pleasantly surprised to see the letter. We called right away and were able to make a reservation for our preferred time so it worked out great.

I can see it offered for a five day but a three day cruise, not so much. The 3 day cruises are so cheap, Princess figures that there's no need to comp dinner on top of the very low fares. At least, that's one possibility. But they do state that they shouldn't be offered for cruises loss than 6 days.

If it's offered on your cruise, it's a bonus, but don't count on it.

I can see it offered for a five day but a three day cruise, not so much. The 3 day cruises are so cheap, Princess figures that there's no need to comp dinner on top of the very low fares. At least, that's one possibility.

The suites are actually quite expensive even on short cruises. They seldom drop below $300 PP per day. My 3 day coming up next month is $1049 PP for 3 nights.

Thanks everyone for your responses - it's what I figured... it depends.

I agree with cruznooze; the short cruises are not a bargain in a suite - we paid a little over $1000 per person for three nights in a V6. Just wanted a short getaway, and they had an aft suite available, so we took it. Yes, we'll have fun whether we get a comped specialty dinner or not...

• 2 weeks later...

We were on 3- and 4-day cruises on the Caribbean Princess last week. Demand for the specialty restaurants was high on both. I bet that's one of the reasons Princess has the policy like it does. We were lucky to get to eat in both Sabatini's and the Crown Grill plus the Crab Shack and an Ultimate Balcony Dinner.