Need help with Manhattan Hotel and Parking

WolfRiver

There is a Holiday Inn Express on 48th Street between 10th & 11th Avenue. It is 1.5 blocks from the pier. There is a Park Right Garage on 43rd Street & 12th Ave. The rate at the garage is much lower than the pier if you make on line reservations. I dropped my wife and luggage at the hotel and parked at the garage, walking back to the hotel. We walked our luggage to the pier. On return my wife waited on 48th & 12th with the luggage while I retrieved the car and then picked her up.

Worked very well for us. We spent 2 days in NYC and took a 9 day cruise. It was reasonably convenient, cheaper than the pier, and the car was indoors.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As others have mentioned, there is no good solution to your problem.

Holiday Inn in NYC with nearby parking would be the best.

Other options:

1). Park/sleep through trinityreservations at Newark Airport, airport bus to

Port Authority Bus Teminal, and cab to the port.

2). Stay outside north of NYC, drive to Port Imperial in NJ to park for $15/day, and take the ferry across to 39th St for $9/pp, and walk or cab to the pier.

3). Drive down through New England, Hotwire a room in Stamford CT, park at Stamford Train Station, take MetroNorth to Grand Central Station and a cab to the pier.

What are your exact dates?

As others have mentioned, there is no good solution to your problem.

Holiday Inn in NYC with nearby parking would be the best.

Other options:

1). Park/sleep through trinityreservations at Newark Airport, airport bus to

Port Authority Bus Teminal, and cab to the port.

2). Stay outside north of NYC, drive to Port Imperial in NJ to park for $15/day, and take the ferry across to 39th St for $9/pp, and walk or cab to the pier.

3). Drive down through New England, Hotwire a room in Stamford CT, park at Stamford Train Station, take MetroNorth to Grand Central Station and a cab to the pier.

What are your exact dates?

Thanks a lot... we are leaving on the Breakaway on January 18, so we are looking for a Saturday night NY stay on the 17. It is safer for us to get to NY one day earlier, since we need to drive appr. 10 hours and we want to make sure not to get stuck in a Winter storm...

Thanks a lot... we are leaving on the Breakaway on January 18, so we are looking for a Saturday night NY stay on the 17. It is safer for us to get to NY one day earlier, since we need to drive appr. 10 hours and we want to make sure not to get stuck in a Winter storm...

Your date is close. I think you have to pick a strategy and finalize the details. Hotwire hotel rates for 4*+ hotels are good in Manhattan for your date. Bottom line - it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

Considering the close date, keep your options open. Don't discount the possibility of staying somewhere north of NYC for the night - anything south of Albany would be drive-able the next day - and parking at the port. Yeah, the cost is high, but it's sooo nice to arrive back, just hop into your car and go.

BTW, love your username :D;).

Considering the close date, keep your options open. Don't discount the possibility of staying somewhere north of NYC for the night - anything south of Albany would be drive-able the next day - and parking at the port. Yeah, the cost is high, but it's sooo nice to arrive back, just hop into your car and go.

BTW, love your username :D;).

My way of thinking might seem crazy to some, but if I was worried about winter storms, I would drive right down to Manhattan and stay overnight at the Holiday Inn Express mentioned above. My reasoning is, that sometimes a snowstorm will hit over night and hit Jersey or Connecticut pretty bad and making traveling dangerous or impossible. If you are already a few blocks from the port, even with a blizzard you can walk there if you had to.

I will also be leaving on the Breakaway on Jan 18th and we are trying a new hotel this time around. We have always stayed in Elizabeth in the past, but this time we are going to try the Embassy Suites in Secaucus. It includes a night stay, parking for the entire cruise, and a shuttle to the port the day of the cruise. We will have to organize our own way back to the hotel upon return. Apparently, there is a bus stop right outside of the hotel that will take you to Penn Station, just a few blocks from Time Square, and we are going to try this on the Saturday afternoon after we arrive. The bus tickets are somewhere around $3-$4 each and I hear that it is quite possible to take a cab from the pier to Penn Station upon return, then jump on the bus for a ride back to the hotel. If we feel good about the bus on Saturday, we may try this option for getting back to the hotel on the 30th.

I will also be leaving on the Breakaway on Jan 18th and we are trying a new hotel this time around. We have always stayed in Elizabeth in the past, but this time we are going to try the Embassy Suites in Secaucus. It includes a night stay, parking for the entire cruise, and a shuttle to the port the day of the cruise. We will have to organize our own way back to the hotel upon return. Apparently, there is a bus stop right outside of the hotel that will take you to Penn Station, just a few blocks from Time Square, and we are going to try this on the Saturday afternoon after we arrive. The bus tickets are somewhere around $3-$4 each and I hear that it is quite possible to take a cab from the pier to Penn Station upon return, then jump on the bus for a ride back to the hotel. If we feel good about the bus on Saturday, we may try this option for getting back to the hotel on the 30th.

I think you will find that bus 320 will take you to Port Authority Bus Terminal instead of New York Penn Station. This actually puts you closer to the pier.

If you don't feel good about the bus with luggage, you can take a cab to New York Penn Station, take a NJTransit train one stop to Secaucus Junction, and call Secaucus Taxi to take you back to Embassy Suites. This could be a more luggage friendly trip and cost a lot less than a car service back to the hotel. Post back for more details if you are interested.

The rates for the park/cruise package for Jan 17 look really good at $258 tax included. I've seen them for $350+ which is pricey and which is why I'd stopped looking and recommending this option.

Would it be possible to grab a cab back to Embassy Suites Hotel for 4 persons with luggages once the cruise over?

NY City taxis are not required to take you to NJ (other than to Newark Airport) and even if a driver were to agree to do it, the fare would be unregulated and an unscrupulous driver might try to charge you more than a reasonable fair market rate fare for doing so. Further, 4 passengers plus luggage is likely to be too much for a standard taxi, meaning you'd have to find a mini van or SUV taxi .

Rather than a taxi, you should book a car service, which will give you a fare quote in advance when you reserve. Here are two of the largest services in NY City:

Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

Edited by njhorseman

Would it be possible to grab a cab back to Embassy Suites Hotel for 4 persons with luggages once the cruise over?

Coming from your direction, it seems like New Jersey could be a little out of your way. And after 10 hours of driving, you may not want to deal with Manhattan. I would suggest to just keep an eye on the forecast and maybe consider staying an hour outside of Manhattan the night before. Bon voyage!

Coming from your direction, it seems like New Jersey could be a little out of your way. And after 10 hours of driving, you may not want to deal with Manhattan. I would suggest to just keep an eye on the forecast and maybe consider staying an hour outside of Manhattan the night before. Bon voyage!

Assuming they're taking what is likely the fastest route...via the NY State Thruway (I 87) it really isn't out of the way at all...just exit the Thruway to enter northern NJ before it crosses the Hudson River. Staying at the Embassy Suites in Secaucus puts them just outside the city about 20 minutes from the cruise terminal.

Edited by njhorseman

Assuming they're taking what is likely the fastest route...via the NY State Thruway (I 87) it really isn't out of the way at all...just exit the Thruway to enter northern NJ before it crosses the Hudson River. Staying at the Embassy Suites in Secaucus puts them just outside the city about 20 minutes from the cruise terminal.

True. I don't know which way they're coming down. It's also possible they might travel down I-91. But you're right. If they stick with the Thruway, NJ is a reasonable stop. I just like to toss out suggestions and let them decide. Riviere-du-Loup is pretty far up there.

This is actually our fourth cruise on The Breakaway in the last 18 months, so we are used of driving right to the Port. We usually stay at my mom's near Montreal to sleep a little and leave at 2:00 in the morning for an easy 6 hour drive.

In this case, we will be four instead of just me and the girlfriend, and it will be the Winter season for the first time, so it's all quite complicated and I have no clue what to do!!!

Too small for 4 at my mom's to sleep and the two other don't like the option anyway...

What to do, grrrrrr!!! Can't wait to be on the boat!

So does that mean you'll still come down via Montreal? If so, you can take a bus or a train from Albany. Yes, you'll be paying per person, but it may be an option.

Amtrak has early trains that get to NY before noon (get one that originates in Albany, not further west). Parking is $7-12 per day, depending on which lot or garage you use. Yankee Trails runs a "cruise express" bus that takes you right to the pier. Free parking, higher fare. The bus doesn't leave NY until 11 or later, because it first has to drop off the departing passengers, then waits for all the arriving passengers, so you may hit the road later than you would like. I've done both, but I am just offering this as information, not a suggestion. Or maybe just take the train down from Montreal the day before? I love trains :)

Edited by SnowshoeCat