Transport to/from and Attractions in Rome ON OWN?

isaiah4916

We are traveling to Civitavecchia via Vision of the Seas on Wed, 6/24/15. We are part of a group of 12 - 6 in our immediate family (2 adults, 4 kids - ages 10, 9, 7, 5).

I need advice on value vs. challenge of doing Rome on our own. My husband and I visited Rome 12 years ago by train travel and enjoyed hop on/hop off bus and walking around on own.

Shore excursions that will get us to Rome are pricey and don't really cover the combination of sights we prefer. How reliable and/or difficult would it be to train in on our own? How hard is it to get to the train station from the ship?

Once there, if we've bought admissions to sights in advance in order to avoid lines, will that be as profitable as entering with a tour? I want to have flexibility to take our time or speed sights up. I'm concerned lengthy tours will be difficult for my kids. On the other hand, we have ONE DAY - do I need to pay up to make the day the best it can be?

Please help!

Michelle

Personally, for the most efficient use of your time, I would strongly suggest you use a private tour. There are MANY recommendations on this board, including the huge thread on the wonderful Rome in Limo, which we have used 8 times now.

A big plus with a group your size and a private tour, the bang for buck ratio is pretty good.

There are also many threads on taking the train. As we just did 15 days in Italy almost totally by train, I can say it is very easy, but not the best way to use limited time like you have.

Edited by CruiserBruce

There's no denying that the train is an inexpensive option, and it's pretty easy to use it to get to Rome from Civitavecchia. Doing a DIY day in Rome works really well with a small group of motivated sightseers. Only you can determine if it will work for your group... Will everyone (especially the younger kids and any older adults) be willing to spend a long day mostly spent on your feet? Will you be willing to shepherd others around, navigate, provide info, etc.?

If you think your group can manage it, there are many of us that can answer detailed questions.

Another good option that's less expensive than a ship tour (but still expensive if you are footing the entire cost) is a private tour such as the poster above mentioned. You'd have the flexibility of seeing the sights you are interested in and the logistical worries would be shouldered by someone else.

I'm a big, big fan of using public transportation and DIY but with a group like yours, I think I'd look at all the available options.

Edited by cruisemom42

That's a lot of people to get around from place to place, particularly considering the children of fairly young ages. Given that you only have a day, I would strongly consider a private tour; you could probably get a 12-seater van, and then not have to worry about how to get from place to place. You'd maximize your time, and have the ability to be flexible as things play out. Yes, it would be more expensive than DIY, but in your case, DIY may not be a great option. Only you know your group best.

Isaiah4916,

Which sites in particular were you wanting to see on your day in Rome? I think that, too, could factor in what mode of transport to choose. For example, if the main focus will be the Colosseum, Palatine Hill & Forum, I might encourage the DIY option. (Combo tickets for all can be bought the day-of at the lesser used Palatine Hill entrance, avoiding the lines). But covering more areas might prove challenging with public transportation.

As you know from your time there...there's just so much to see....really wish the cruise lines would give extra time here!

Whatever you decide, enjoy your time in Rome!!!!

Two years ago we did a day trip to Rome. We were a group of six adults, and we used Rome in Limo. We were met by an English speaking driver at 8:00 AM as we got off the ship. On our way to Rome we discussed what were our priorities. We had also made arrangements for a guide for the Vatican Museum. Having our own transportation meant we were not waiting for buses, trains or doing a lot of walking. Our driver would drop us within a block of where we wanted to visit and set a time for us to return. Our Vatican guide (excellent guide arranged through Rome in Limo) had purchased our tickets and knew where to meet our driver at the end of the tour. If you only have one day and a large group, a vehicle and driver is the way to go.

There are few folks here on CC that advocate "doing ones own thing" more then moi. But the OP's case is different. We are talking about a group of 12 which presents too many challenges for public transit. Just trying to herd a group of 12 onto a city bus, or the same Metro car, can be a challenge. So, in this particular case we agree with the recommendation to simply book a private van/driver/guide to meet you at the port and take you to wherever you please.

The alterative is to do lots of Homework, buy a decent guide book (we like the Rick Steves series) and buy a BIRG ticket for each person (these cost about 12 Euros per person). That ticket will give you all round trip train transportation to Rome and all days use of Rome's Metro and bus system. But personally, we would not want to do this with 12 folks. In fact, DW and I do not even like doing this with another couple :).

Hank

Another simple and less expensive option is to take the train to Rome (main terminal) aka termini, then take A HOHO BUS RIGHT OUTSIDE THE DOOR. There are 2 or 3 routes the buses take and the info can be found on the internet.

Edited by dabear

This past July, our cruise ship docked in Civitavecchia for a day (7am - 7pm). We were a group of 4 adults in our 30s. We did DIY - walked to the train station, bought tickets for the train into Rome, took the train, visited the Vatican, took the train back to Civitavecchia. It all went well without any major problems.

Looking back, I would have booked the RC Excursion that shuttles you to/from Rome as opposed to taking the train. The reason: We relied on Italian transportation, which can run late or cancel a train. Our train into Rome was delayed about 20 minutes. Knowing that the ship would leave without us if we didn't make it back on time, we gave ourselves extra time to get back to Civitavecchia, which cut into our time in Rome. If we had taken RC transportation and it was late returning to Civitavecchia, the ship would wait for us.

Like others have said, you may strongly consider a group tour, like Rome in Limo, since they offer great deals for larger groups and you're able to customize your tour. With that said, you've got options to make your time in this great city what you want it to be. Enjoy your trip!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Michelle. Our family will be on the same cruise as you, and I weighed the same options about our day in Rome. We opted to do a DIY tour, but the big difference is that our sons are 18 and 16, and it will be just the four of us.

I think that I agree with the other posters that a group of 12 is much harder to keep together, particularly with younger kids, and I don't think that I would try it. You should be able to get a better deal for a private tour as a large group, and customize to your liking. The prices do give you pause, though.

We will be doing the Coliseum in the morning, including the tour of the underground area, then a quick Metro over to the Vatican area, pizza at Pizzarium, then the Sistine Chapel and hopefully the Basilica. We will aim for a 4:30 train out of San Pietro, with a 5:00 train as the back-up.

My wife and I did 4 days in Rome 5 years ago, so for us, the Coliseum, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Square represent the highlights that we want our sons to see. They can come back for a more intensive visit to Rome when they are older and paying for it themselves.

If I might suggest: the Vatican Museum will be boring for your kids. If you want to see the Sistine Chapel, just walk right through the museum, but it will take you about half an hour to get there. The Coliseum is fascinating for all ages, but have a proper tour guide, or take one of their tours, to get the most out of it.

Hope to see you on board.

Ian

This past July, our cruise ship docked in Civitavecchia for a day (7am - 7pm). We were a group of 4 adults in our 30s. We did DIY - walked to the train station, bought tickets for the train into Rome, took the train, visited the Vatican, took the train back to Civitavecchia. It all went well without any major problems.

Looking back, I would have booked the RC Excursion that shuttles you to/from Rome as opposed to taking the train. The reason: We relied on Italian transportation, which can run late or cancel a train. Our train into Rome was delayed about 20 minutes. Knowing that the ship would leave without us if we didn't make it back on time, we gave ourselves extra time to get back to Civitavecchia, which cut into our time in Rome. If we had taken RC transportation and it was late returning to Civitavecchia, the ship would wait for us.

Like others have said, you may strongly consider a group tour, like Rome in Limo, since they offer great deals for larger groups and you're able to customize your tour. With that said, you've got options to make your time in this great city what you want it to be. Enjoy your trip!

Yes, you may get delayed on the train, but I have gotten stuck in traffic when using a limo service. You take your chances either way. That said, with kids those ages I would not attempt a DIY day.

• 1 month later...

I am so grateful for these terrific suggestions and the reality check about traveling in such a large group. I am looking into the limo option and also the possibility of splitting our group up just a bit so that we can each move about a bit more freely. In that case it would still be two adults and 4 kids, aged 10-5, so I think the many recommendations will still be quite applicable. Thank you! :)

Hire a driver from a company that will provide a 14 seater van then tell them what sites you want to see and how you want to see them

Just talk to them and work out an itin

I love Rome and travel as a family of 6 with kids of various ages over the years and while now they are older and we diy a lot there is no way I would venture out with a group as large as yours with your ages without private transport

Convenience is king with a group your size

Sent from my iPad using Forums