First time on Princess

sixgun8

OK, Let me start by saying we have only cruised Carnival before... and YES, we are the typical type of Carnival Cruisers. We like to have fun and enjoy the activities on board and be PART of the cruise.

So, What are we to expect on Princess? I'm actually very concerned that we will not enjoy this cruise because of the other passengers. I mean, we aren't crazy people, but we enjoy having fun and like to interact with others.

This is an Alaska Cruise in September of 2015.

Great choice on Princess for Alaska! I've found that people are generally friendly on the Alaska cruises and there is something about this region that is special and energizing, with great scenery as you sail vs the endless blue seas of the Caribbean. Princess hosts a fair number of events throughout the day and evening, though it's not unusual to see the crowds thin earlier than I expect you see on Carnival, particularly with early rising for port or glacier viewing. Love the Wheelhouse Bar - it's been our favorite location on most of the Princess ships. Remember that with Princess you can each bring a bottle of wine or champagne when you first board without charge - just ask your room attendant for glasses.

Hope you have a great time, and be sure to check the Alaska boards - lots of information on what to expect and things to see in port.

Edited by LoriPhil

OK, Let me start by saying we have only cruised Carnival before... and YES, we are the typical type of Carnival Cruisers. We like to have fun and enjoy the activities on board and be PART of the cruise.

So, What are we to expect on Princess? I'm actually very concerned that we will not enjoy this cruise because of the other passengers. I mean, we aren't crazy people, but we enjoy having fun and like to interact with others.

Lets start by stating that an Alaska Cruise is not a warm weather party cruise. So if this is how you define typical Carnival cruiser & cruise then you probably will not find it cruising to Alaska. It's a sightseeing, port and if you are taking a cruisetour a land tour of Alaska highlights. Sightseeing is the primary reason people book an Alaska cruise on any cruise line. There will be lots of evening activities including production shows, guest entertainers, live music and dancing in the various lounges, movies under the stars, late night DJ in the nightclub, game shows, trivia. There are lots of choices for free dining as well as some affordable surcharge dining such as the Crab Shack @ $20pp, Crown Grill & Sabatini's $25pp.

I have been on many many Princess cruises as well as on other lines. I never have any difficulty finding enjoyable things to do, both active and passive with other enjoyable passengers of all ages. There are always some that sit alone and read, stay in their cabin, go to bed early and enjoy themselves in that manner. But, there are many others that attend the on board activities and get involved. Only you can determine if you will enjoy the cruise not the other passengers.

Read the Princess Patter each day to determine what you like and plan your activities accordingly.

You might be excited to know that I saw in the Patters that Princess now has the Hairy Chest Contest.:cool: That might help you feel at home....

Well, I am a former winner. LOL We really enjoy the trivia games. We interact a lot with the staff. We just like to talk with people and have fun. We are both "theater people" so we don't mind being in the spotlight. I was just worried that the crowd on the Princess was more... advanced in age and might look down upon us for having fun.

Like I said, we aren't the crazy type that get kicked off ships or anything.

Just wanted to speak up on behalf of those of us "advanced age" people! We have fun, too! Everyone who sails probably has their own definition of fun, though. For example, when younger, we loved the parties, the pools, the sun, and the bars. More recently, though, we see the appeal of a quiet corner in the sea air with a good book or the conversation of other passengers or staff. We enjoy a nice meal in good company. We appreciate the music our generation grew up listening to, an energetic show, a gam of trivia, a walk around the ship, or magnificent scenery.

I also have fun just watching younger people seeking more energetic pleasures and those activities that once appealed to me. Enjoy your cruise; watch us enjoy ours. Be kind to all, and you will get the most from any cruise!

Just wanted to speak up on behalf of those of us "advanced age" people! We have fun, too! Everyone who sails probably has their own definition of fun, though. For example, when younger, we loved the parties, the pools, the sun, and the bars. More recently, though, we see the appeal of a quiet corner in the sea air with a good book or the conversation of other passengers or staff. We enjoy a nice meal in good company. We appreciate the music our generation grew up listening to, an energetic show, a gam of trivia, a walk around the ship, or magnificent scenery.

I also have fun just watching younger people seeking more energetic pleasures and those activities that once appealed to me. Enjoy your cruise; watch us enjoy ours. Be kind to all, and you will get the most from any cruise!

Awesomely stated.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Edited by teegee16

I think Princess has a great mix of demographics, although it may be an older crowd in September as kids are just back in school -- this includes a lot of the college aged kids. We started sailing on Princess over 20 years ago and our first time to Alaska was in September on this line. Some people asked what us 'kids' were doing on the cruise. Well, I was sold....we had such a great time. We recently sailed on the Crown Princess down to Mexico and there were a lot of people younger than us on that cruise....I mean a LOT! So, I think the age demographics on Princess has a lot more to do with the itinerary, time of year and pricing than Princess attracting a an older crowd.

It won't attract as many school aged children as Carnival -- especially in September. There has always been plenty to do onboard, though. Most cruiselines are cutting back somewhat but we've never been at a loss to find something fun....be it interactive or some great entertainment. Only one way to know if it suits you....give it a try. :D

I know exactly what you are asking about. After greater than 10 cruises on Carnival, we went on a Princess cruise because of the itinerary. At the time we were in our 60s. Princess does not have the same vibe you have on Carnival. It was fun, but not as much fun on Princess, and we generally do not participate in the games... We've now been on several Princess cruises. We like them - we keep going back, but they just aren't as much fun. We take Princess because of their itineraries. Overall, I'm hard pressed to say which one is better. They are different. We've done both Carnival and Princess to Alaska. There is virtually no difference between the two for Alaska. Carnival to Alaska was also more subdued - as a previousnposter wrote, Alaska is about the ports and scenery, and not the onboard activities. Alaska is wonderful and you will have a great time no matter which cruiseline you take.

OP will need to go on a Princess cruise and see if he has fun or not. Your definition of "fun" will determine that. I've done both Carnival and Princess, and I don't think either line benefits from their stereotypes. Carnival is not 100% drunks vomiting in the pools and wild kids throwing food in the buffet. Princess is not all ancient old crones and geezers snoozing in their wheelchairs, clogging up the halls. I have had fun on both lines. I just don't know exactly how to answer OP's question.

Well, I am a former winner. LOL We really enjoy the trivia games. We interact a lot with the staff. We just like to talk with people and have fun. We are both "theater people" so we don't mind being in the spotlight. I was just worried that the crowd on the Princess was more... advanced in age and might look down upon us for having fun.

Like I said, we aren't the crazy type that get kicked off ships or anything.

We did our share of Carnival and actually was in the Tale of Robin Hood show. We had a good time. But Carnival started getting too commercial and away from what i felt was the cruising experience. There are a good mix of folks on Princess and some very well traveled folks who are a pleasure to talk with. I guess you can be as crazy as you want. The wife has a high stress job and we need the relax factor on our trips. Good food, good shows and a non frenzied atmosphere.

I meant no disrespect of any kind. My apologies.

I know exactly what you are asking about. After greater than 10 cruises on Carnival, we went on a Princess cruise because of the itinerary. At the time we were in our 60s. Princess does not have the same vibe you have on Carnival. It was fun, but not as much fun on Princess, and we generally do not participate in the games... We've now been on several Princess cruises. We like them - we keep going back, but they just aren't as much fun. We take Princess because of their itineraries. Overall, I'm hard pressed to say which one is better. They are different. We've done both Carnival and Princess to Alaska. There is virtually no difference between the two for Alaska. Carnival to Alaska was also more subdued - as a previousnposter wrote, Alaska is about the ports and scenery, and not the onboard activities. Alaska is wonderful and you will have a great time no matter which cruiseline you take.

This is what I'm talking about. I will say that there are folks on the carnival cruises that I think are going too far. and they can ruin the experience too. I'm set at ease quite a bit by the responses.

OP will need to go on a Princess cruise and see if he has fun or not. Your definition of "fun" will determine that. I've done both Carnival and Princess, and I don't think either line benefits from their stereotypes. Carnival is not 100% drunks vomiting in the pools and wild kids throwing food in the buffet. Princess is not all ancient old crones and geezers snoozing in their wheelchairs, clogging up the halls. I have had fun on both lines. I just don't know exactly how to answer OP's question.

That's kind of why I also put that we weren't the ones that were too crazy. Thanks for the input and I think you hit what I was looking for.

just wanted to speak up on behalf of those of us "advanced age" people! We have fun, too! Everyone who sails probably has their own definition of fun, though. For example, when younger, we loved the parties, the pools, the sun, and the bars. More recently, though, we see the appeal of a quiet corner in the sea air with a good book or the conversation of other passengers or staff. We enjoy a nice meal in good company. We appreciate the music our generation grew up listening to, an energetic show, a gam of trivia, a walk around the ship, or magnificent scenery.

amen!!!!

I love this question because it echoes a conversation I was having with long time friends recently.

We're now all in our early to mid 50s (few stragglers are in their late 40s). None of us were/are cruise types but we live in a city and we used to spend a lot of time at live music clubs, restaurants, bars, etc.

Now? We were visiting friends who recently relocated from our city to another and were talking how we like to get in and out to restaurants to eat early and with the exception of good live music (good is in the eye of the reader of course) would much rather go back home open a bottle of wine or three and visit with friends.

Meanwhile my teenage children ask why one would call people in their 20s and 30s "kids" because they aren't. I said to them they aren't but I on the other hand have changed a diaper or two of people currently in their mid to late 20s.

We're all prisoners of our own time and experiences.

Back to cruising.

I never had any interest in going on a cruise but about 8 or so years ago my in-laws who love cruising wanted to take us all on a Disney Cruise. We went. It wasn't my favorite thing in the world to do and I wasn't in a hurry to get on another one.

Then a few months ago my in-laws called asking if we wanted to go on a cruise with them. The kids and husband were making "NO" faces and threw me under the bus as the person who had to break the news. I gently tried to say this but first asked my in-laws what they had in mind.

Alaska.

Well, that changed the conversation. I said "yes, I will go". The kids and husband were making "WHAT?" faces at me by this point, I texted "ALASKA" and that calmed the peanut gallery down.

Long story short, we're going to Alaska this summer on a Princess cruise. I know nothing about any of this. To me Princess cruises meant the tv show "Love Boat" where old tv/movie actors went on their sunset years to bid farewell to acting and young me would ask "hey, wasn't that...?"

I am so excited though. I can't wait to see all the sights. My teenagers are super excited too. We've talked about whale watching and the like.

I'm likely going to be drinking wine in our room in the evening with my husband, father in law, meanwhile my mother in law who is very social might be out there dancing the night away.

The kids? I'm betting on gaming the night away.

I hope you have a great cruise! I can't wait to see Alaska. I'm not as convinced about the whole cruising thing but hey, I'll keep an open mind!

Edited by LoisLane0

I love this question because it echoes a conversation I was having with long time friends recently.

We're now all in our early to mid 50s (few stragglers are in their late 40s). None of us were/are cruise types but we live in a city and we used to spend a lot of time at live music clubs, restaurants, bars, etc.

Now? We were visiting friends who recently relocated from our city to another and were talking how we like to get in and out to restaurants to eat early and with the exception of good live music (good is in the eye of the reader of course) would much rather go back home open a bottle of wine or three and visit with friends.

Meanwhile my teenage children ask why one would call people in their 20s and 30s "kids" because they aren't. I said to them they aren't but I on the other hand have changed a diaper or two of people currently in their mid to late 20s.

We're all prisoners of our own time and experiences.

Back to cruising.

I never had any interest in going on a cruise but about 8 or so years ago my in-laws who love cruising wanted to take us all on a Disney Cruise. We went. It wasn't my favorite thing in the world to do and I wasn't in a hurry to get on another one.

Then a few months ago my in-laws called asking if we wanted to go on a cruise with them. The kids and husband were making "NO" faces and threw me under the bus as the person who had to break the news. I gently tried to say this but first asked my in-laws what they had in mind.

Alaska.

Well, that changed the conversation. I said "yes, I will go". The kids and husband were making "WHAT?" faces at me by this point, I texted "ALASKA" and that calmed the peanut gallery down.

Long story short, we're going to Alaska this summer on a Princess cruise. I know nothing about any of this. To me Princess cruises meant the tv show "Love Boat" where old tv/movie actors went on their sunset years to bid farewell to acting and young me would ask "hey, wasn't that...?"

I am so excited though. I can't wait to see all the sights. My teenagers are super excited too. We've talked about whale watching and the like.

I'm likely going to be drinking wine in our room in the evening with my husband, father in law, meanwhile my mother in law who is very social might be out there dancing the night away.

The kids? I'm betting on gaming the night away.

I hope you have a great cruise! I can't wait to see Alaska. I'm not as convinced about the whole cruising thing but hey, I'll keep an open mind!

I couldn't help but smile reading this and I am sure you will all have a great time.

I couldn't help but smile reading this and I am sure you will all have a great time.

Heh! I never figured I'd be on another cruise unless it was going to Antarctica (that is something I want to do before I die). I am so so excited. I've been sending inquiries for whale watching tours and other excursions.

If it can help you worry less about " older" people, just think of who you will be in a few years... . You will still be you, just been you for a longer time ! I believe there are as many kind of older people as there are many kind of younger ones. Some of the more experienced cruisers probably started to travel before you were born, when it was much more adventurous to go on cruises. They might have gone on trips and excursions you would find crazy risky and wild, far from the ship's comfortable and port pampered tours.

But I can understand the questions about the type of activities the people who choose Princess like. I am one to really hope that the hairy chest mention of now being in the patter is not true and I would be very surprised that it would be a Princess activity. Many read in public areas ( I found your thread about that so funny, thanks for the laugh, will thinking of you when I do it next time :-) ).

I believe you will meet many very interesting people on your cruise and wish you a great Alaska discovery !

Edited by Sailingpeace