SJU, airport

Sunlovers_

While all might work out, my one and only experience at SJU was an agriculture line that wrapped around the airport at least twice. While it might not be the norm, it can happen, and caused serious delays for travelers that day.

Wow, there must have been something very wrong that day. We used SJU 4 weeks ago and had no wait at all at the AG machine. We had an 11:30am flight, had #1 luggage tags, and were at the gate before 9:30am.

9am flight out feasible?

No checked luggage.

Yes, very doable. Here's my timeline estimates--be one of the earliest off the ship, est. at 6:30 am. No luggage to be concerned and the immigration should take no more than 15-20 minutes. Taxi to airport is approximately 15-20 minutes. No big deal with SJ Agri inspection, they usually move very quickly and since you are there so early you should have no problem with the TSA.

Ps. Print your airline boarding pass on the ship.

Edited by nelblu

We have sailed out of San Juan 4 times and we found that if you get to the airport before 10:00 or 10:30, the lines for Ag. inspection and security are not bad. After 10:30 or 11:00, throngs of people start to show up and the lines become very long.

OP - a 9:00 flight is doable IF nothing goes wrong. IF the ship gets into port on time and IF it clears customs on time and IF there are no traffic issues and IF there are no delays at the airport, you should be okay. The earliest I would book is 10:30.

I'm new to this port. Where do they do the agriculture inspection? Can you still do an early carry-your-own-luggage walk off from the SJU ships? We've done that in Florida but I wasn't sure if Jewel of the Seas in San Juan would let us do the same. We have an 12:40 flight but I still like all my ducks in a row way ahead of time.

You are on the Jewel the week before us. Come back after the cruise and let us know how it went. we have a 10:35 flight. It was a 10:55 departure. but they moved it up a little and those extra minutes lost has me a little worried.

Edited by bilyclub

Sunlover,

I'd get something later...as much as I personally HATE to do that. The SJU airport is an absolute zoo on Saturdays and Sundays. On top of that, toss in the fact that you may be delayed upon arrival, you have to go thru agricultural inspection BEFORE going thru security, and trying to leave before noon is a recipe for disaster.

Have we made it that early before? Sure. Would I count on it? No way.

Having said all of the above, last Sunday, it took us 35 minutes from the time they called our group for disembarkation on the Adventure to get luggage, thru customs, into a cab, to the airport, thru ag inspection and to check in. We were there by 8:05 AM.

Clearly do-able, but I wouldn't count on it.

Do like us...we have a 4am flight home!...the next morning.

Will stay at a hotel and enjoy the pool for the day after getting off the ship...

All flights, other than the very early ones, had long lay overs. Would be traveling all day and not get home till the evening.

Needless to say we will sleep very well on the 4am flight, and be home by 8am!

Our biggest worry is making sure I get up and off to the airport at 2am....

• 2 weeks later...
Do like us...we have a 4am flight home!...the next morning.

Will stay at a hotel and enjoy the pool for the day after getting off the ship...

All flights, other than the very early ones, had long lay overs. Would be traveling all day and not get home till the evening.

Needless to say we will sleep very well on the 4am flight, and be home by 8am!

Our biggest worry is making sure I get up and off to the airport at 2am....

Just don't bother going to sleep!!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OP- 0900 is going to be a little tight. Agriculture check only takes a few minutes to check your bags- but it all depends on how many folks are in line ahead of you. I have seen agriculture lines so long that somebody from the agency just came around and started slapping stickers on suitcases that hadn't been through the machine. Then there's security- and there is nothing you can do to rush island time.

What is the agricultural check?

Linda

It is a scanner belt like an airport luggage security scanner. The agricultural scanner at SJU will accept all sizes of bags.

Your luggage will be scanned for plants, plant material, fruits, vegetables, raw meats or cheeses. It goes through a small office structure and comes out the other side with an ag sticker. In addition to the scanner, I don't know if they have a detector dog, we have them here in CA.:D

Once your bag has been checked and stickered, you proceed to check in or security.

Edited by Coralc

• 3 weeks later...
Like Lindypops I am also interested in the Agricultural check. Is it just for flights to the US or all international flights! We will be travelling from SJU to the UK and don't ever recall this ag. check from any other US airport to the UK.

I don't know about international destinations, but you are correct that it is unique from other US airports.

Like Lindypops I am also interested in the Agricultural check. Is it just for flights to the US or all international flights! We will be travelling from SJU to the UK and don't ever recall this ag. check from any other US airport to the UK.

Not required on International flights as long as you don't stop in the U.S.

United States Department of Agricultural screens all luggage and carry-on for flights heading to the United States.

International flights with a transfer in the United States must inspect at the USDA terminals. Direct flights from Puerto Rico to a none US airport are exempt from inspection.

Not required on International flights as long as you don't stop in the U.S.

United States Department of Agricultural screens all luggage and carry-on for flights heading to the United States.

International flights with a transfer in the United States must inspect at the USDA terminals. Direct flights from Puerto Rico to a none US airport are exempt from inspection.

Thank you hancogran. That explains why we were screened a couple of years ago as we entered the US at MCO. Presumably then we will go through the Ag. Check as we enter SJU?

Edited by Jetlagged787

Thank you hancogran. That explains why we were screened a couple of years ago as we entered the US at MCO. Presumably then we will go through the Ag. Check as we enter SJU?

Yes, the agricultural screening is set up right near the entrance to the terminal. You do that before you do anything else at SJU if you're flying to an airport within the US.