Oasis returning to port?

Pilot53

But some people seem to be suggesting that NONE of it is RCI's fault or responsibility. I respectfully disagree. Maybe not legally, but morally. How many times does this have to happen before Royal Caribbean steps up and says, "Hey, maybe we can't prevent every accident of this nature from happening in the future, but we're going to do our absolute best from this point forward" instead of just sending out an email reiterating that "there are signs posted" (i.e. "not our problem")?

Oh dear . . . You're gonna get flamed for daring to say RCI might be at fault over something . . .

Many people on here think RCI are perfect!

But some people seem to be suggesting that NONE of it is RCI's fault or responsibility. I respectfully disagree. Maybe not legally, but morally. How many times does this have to happen before Royal Caribbean steps up and says, "Hey, maybe we can't prevent every accident of this nature from happening in the future, but we're going to do our absolute best from this point forward" instead of just sending out an email reiterating that "there are signs posted" (i.e. "not our problem")?

Again I ask, which pools/hot tubs get the lifeguards? Some of them? Just the ones in the kids area? All of them? Oasis has over a dozen different potential drowning sites. While the kids H2O area is very attractive for kids, they could just as easily step off the side into the deep adult pools. Do we drain and net every single one of them when the lifeguards go off duty? Does that mean that as adults we are no longer allowed to partake of an evening swim or hot tub?

Sadly you cannot prevent every accident. That is where personal responsibility and planning comes into play. If the pool deck area makes you uncomfortable as a parent, then just say no to taking your kids there unless you are able to give them 100% of your attention. Make them swim with a buddy at all times. Get in the water with them. Never take your eyes off them. Verbally state which parent is watching which child. Bring a floatation device that your child is familiar with, and you know that fits them correctly. Take them to swim lessons prior to your cruise. Set out definite rules and guidelines with your kids about behavior and staying with the family - before the cruise even starts. Position yourself with the kids in the middle and parents on the ends when at an event or show. If you are depending on other adults to help with supervision, have a discussion prior to the cruise about how you will handle who is watching what child, and handover procedures. If your small child is a wanderer, consider a child tether. Better a child on a leash then a frantic search for a missing child.

It is very possible that the tragic incident on Oasis would have happened even if every single one of these precautions were in place. Who knows, maybe they were, and this child still managed to wander away into danger. That is why they call them accidents.

Again I ask, which pools/hot tubs get the lifeguards? Some of them? Just the ones in the kids area? All of them? Oasis has over a dozen different potential drowning sites. While the kids H2O area is very attractive for kids, they could just as easily step off the side into the deep adult pools. Do we drain and net every single one of them when the lifeguards go off duty? Does that mean that as adults we are no longer allowed to partake of an evening swim or hot tub?

Sadly you cannot prevent every accident. That is where personal responsibility and planning comes into play. If the pool deck area makes you uncomfortable as a parent, then just say no to taking your kids there unless you are able to give them 100% of your attention. Make them swim with a buddy at all times. Get in the water with them. Never take your eyes off them. Verbally state which parent is watching which child. Bring a floatation device that your child is familiar with, and you know that fits them correctly. Take them to swim lessons prior to your cruise. Set out definite rules and guidelines with your kids about behavior and staying with the family - before the cruise even starts. Position yourself with the kids in the middle and parents on the ends when at an event or show. If you are depending on other adults to help with supervision, have a discussion prior to the cruise about how you will handle who is watching what child, and handover procedures. If your small child is a wanderer, consider a child tether. Better a child on a leash then a frantic search for a missing child.

It is very possible that the tragic incident on Oasis would have happened even if every single one of these precautions were in place. Who knows, maybe they were, and this child still managed to wander away into danger. That is why they call them accidents.

I can't speak about the Oasis class of ships, as I've never been on one. But for the Freedom class, I would say there should be 3 -4 lifeguards on duty during peak times of day, say, 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning until 5:00 or 6:00 at night. I would put two lifeguards in the H20 Zone, as that's where most children will congregate, and as I mentioned before, one person cannot effectively monitor that entire space. I would put at least one additional lifeguard in the main pool area, and possibly two. No, I do not suggest draining or netting pool areas in the evenings or off-hours. Obviously that's impractical. But it doesn't have to be all or nothing. During the times that pose the greatest risk to the greatest number of people, and at the pools where kids are most likely to be a large presence, certified lifeguards could go a long way towards preventing tragedy. No, this might not prevent every accident, but again, if even ONE child's life were saved by the presence of a lifeguard, if even ONE family didn't have to go through what that poor family from last week is going through, could anyone seriously argue that it shouldn't be done?

I'm with you on personal responsibility. Truly, I am. But how could it possibly be a bad thing for anyone if RCI decided to add some corporate responsibility to the equation as an added layer of safety? No one will convince me that this is some logistical nightmare that can't possibly be effectively implemented. The ship we were on feeds, lodges and entertains 4,000 passengers every single week and does it very smoothly. I'm pretty sure they could manage to figure out how to get a few lifeguards on deck if it were a priority to them.

I can't speak about the Oasis class of ships, as I've never been on one. But for the Freedom class, I would say there should be 3 -4 lifeguards on duty during peak times of day, say, 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning until 5:00 or 6:00 at night. I would put two lifeguards in the H20 Zone, as that's where most children will congregate, and as I mentioned before, one person cannot effectively monitor that entire space. I would put at least one additional lifeguard in the main pool area, and possibly two. No, I do not suggest draining or netting pool areas in the evenings or off-hours. Obviously that's impractical. But it doesn't have to be all or nothing. During the times that pose the greatest risk to the greatest number of people, and at the pools where kids are most likely to be a large presence, certified lifeguards could go a long way towards preventing tragedy. No, this might not prevent every accident, but again, if even ONE child's life were saved by the presence of a lifeguard, if even ONE family didn't have to go through what that poor family from last week is going through, could anyone seriously argue that it shouldn't be done?

I'm with you on personal responsibility. Truly, I am. But how could it possibly be a bad thing for anyone if RCI decided to add some corporate responsibility to the equation as an added layer of safety? No one will convince me that this is some logistical nightmare that can't possibly be effectively implemented. The ship we were on feeds, lodges and entertains 4,000 passengers every single week and does it very smoothly. I'm pretty sure they could manage to figure out how to get a few lifeguards on deck if it were a priority to them.

If they are going to add lifeguards, 4 lifeguards wouldn't be enough coverage for a Freedom class ship, let alone an Oasis class ship. You would need that many for the H20 zone alone to have adequate coverage. The cruise line would be opening itself up to even more lawsuits if they offer inadequate coverage.

Or, you know, the family may not be like that at all and really only care about their son'S condition and not chasing after the line for money. Maybe that is one reason they want keep out of the press---so idiot lawyers don't find them and pressure them to sue.

Not being members of the litigious society known as Americans, there is a chance they won't.

If they are going to add lifeguards, 4 lifeguards wouldn't be enough coverage for a Freedom class ship, let alone an Oasis class ship. You would need that many for the H20 zone alone to have adequate coverage. The cruise line would be opening itself up to even more lawsuits if they offer inadequate coverage.

I think four in the H20 zone would be great.

This is a very sad accident!

However, my personal thought about adding lifeguards is that there will be a false sense of security. Parents could possibly look at the fact that there is someone watching over the pool area and not watch over their child in the same manner as they would without a lifeguard.

If something happens when a lifeguard is on duty, these boards would be going crazy with blame on the cruiseline. Not to mention the scumbag lawyers waiting to chew up the cruiseline.

Edited by ksuds

Oh dear . . . You're gonna get flamed for daring to say RCI might be at fault over something . . .

Many people on here think RCI are perfect!

It's really not a matter of RCI being perfect or at fault but parents taking some of the responsibility of their kids-- here are some of the things I noticed on my cruise last week:

1. Parents on lounge chairs drinking with friends and glancing at their kids periodically to make sure they were still in the pool

2. One parent objected to my intervening and asking a child not to dive underwater in the cantilevered jacuzzi saying that he was there to supervise How many of you think that a 7 year old should use the jacuzzi as a swimming pool?

3. Best of all..we were leaving the dining room at 9:30 and saw a stroller with a baby in it with no adult around -- the waiting area was totally empty except for us and the host of the MDR whose back was turned around.

I'm in no way implying that this family was negligent and I hope the child pulls through. What I am saying is these days, some parents seem to want someone else to do their jobs.

If you wish RCI had lifeguards, then how long should those lifeguards be on duty? Kids are around the pool on deck 15 with or without parents until 10-12 midnight. I thought that 10:00 pm would be a quiet time for jacuzzi and found kids in there.

So what hours do you suggest RCI post lifeguards? Which pools? All the pools?Just the kids pools? 24/7? 9am to 5pm? Do they have to drain the kids pools at 5pm each day when the lifeguards go off duty? What about the deeper pools? Kids swim in those too. So does all swimming end when a lifeguard is not present? Drain those pools each day? But then there is a safety hazard, so now we need to drain and net them each night.

Posting lifeguards is an ideal concept, but it is just not practical on a ship with so many different pools and spas. Years ago, when ships only had one small pool, this would have made sense, but now there are literally a dozen different water danger areas. This all comes down to parental responsibility. After a tragedy like this one, no one wants to make the parents feel worse, so nothing is said, but things do need to be said. All parents need to face the grim reality of what can happen when you mix children and water. Bad things like slipping and falling, hitting their head can still happen, but drownings are preventable.

Parents/Grandparents/Aunts/Uncles - every single person who is responsible for taking a child to an area where pools/spas are, is required to watch that child every second. That means that parents make it clear between them who is watching which child. It means that reading a book, getting a fresh drink, going for an ice cream, napping, getting in a long conversation - none of these activities should happen while you are responsible for watching a child in the pool. Parents need to get up off their lounge chairs and either get in the pool with the child, or sit right on the edge. Watching your child swim should be your primary activity - your only activity - not something you are doing while also doing other things.

I have no idea what actually happened to this child on Oasis yesterday. My heart goes out to the family. I have prayed for this child. But if things happened as it has been suggested they did, how on earth could a parent lose track of a 4 or 5 year old for five to ten minutes in an area filled with water? Accidents happen. But personal responsibility goes a long way in preventing accidents.

We were on the Freedom a few years back when I saw three small children on deck 10 and not a parent in sight. Forunately, I know enough Spanish to ask them their names and where were their parents. They did not know, they were just wandering about and their cabin was on Deck 3 or 4. I alerted a member of the staff and asked them to walk with us to take them go Guest Services. Their parents arrived after about 5 minutes. Those kids were 3, 4 and 6 and had NO BUSINESS being on that deck without a parent :(

Edited by Charger2008
spelling :)

Parents are ultimately responsible for their own children. When my boys were young I rarely went out with them without my husband. I never would've cruised with them, to me that's no vacation. Things are different now, parents are different now. Little "jimmy" is ENTITLED to have the same vacation as mom and dad

I am just grateful that RCCL has adult only areas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Parents are ultimately responsible for their own children. When my boys were young I rarely went out with them without my husband. I never would've cruised with them, to me that's no vacation. Things are different now, parents are different now. Little "jimmy" is ENTITLED to have the same vacation as mom and dad

Your wrote: "When my boys were young I rarely went out with them without my husband." In all honesty, that would have been nearly impossible to do in my family, with the varied schedules everyone had. Things would never have been accomplished.

Everyone has their own way of parenting for sure.

There are two flowriders side by side on OASIS. One flowrider could have had an instructor doing private lessons on one of them.

They actually are NOT side by side, one is on the Port side, Wipe Out Bar in between them and another on the Starboard side. One is dedicated to stand up, the other to boogie boarding. They do not have private lessons on the first day and ALL Flowriders have two staff members on them at all times when they are running. I seriously doubt a 4 year old is tall enough to be on the boogie board and I KNOW he/she would not be tall enough for stand up surfing.

Therefore, I seriously doubt the validity of the "reports" that it happened on the Flowrider.

My parents would never take me with them unto a bar. Now when I go out there are little kids running around the bar!

They actually are NOT side by side, one is on the Port side, Wipe Out Bar in between them and another on the Starboard side. One is dedicated to stand up, the other to boogie boarding. They do not have private lessons on the first day and ALL Flowriders have two staff members on them at all times when they are running. I seriously doubt a 4 year old is tall enough to be on the boogie board and I KNOW he/she would not be tall enough for stand up surfing.

Therefore, I seriously doubt the validity of the "reports" that it happened on the Flowrider.

Happened in the Wave pool. Saw them take the child right out of that pool.

Then perhaps you can clear up some confusion: was the child a boy or a girl?

Sequence of events:

1. Passenger saw child in wave pool from deck 16.

2. They contacted an RCL employee who activated the Alpha Alpha Alpha emergency call.

2. They also notified a passenger in the wave pool about the child who picked the child up and over the wave pool, and handed the child to 2 other passengers outside of the pool who laid the child down, and began performing CPR.

3. A few minutes later, the medical personal of RCL came and took over the CPR.

4. Mom showed up and was in shock/hysterical. So sad.

5. Placed child in stretcher after about 5 more minutes of CPR.

Hope that clears up a lot of misinformation.

Sequence of events:

1. Passenger saw child in wave pool from deck 16.

2. They contacted an RCL employee who activated the Alpha Alpha Alpha emergency call.

2. They also notified a passenger in the wave pool about the child who picked the child up and over the wave pool, and handed the child to 2 other passengers outside of the pool who laid the child down, and began performing CPR.

3. A few minutes later, the medical personal of RCL came and took over the CPR.

4. Mom showed up and was in shock/hysterical. So sad.

5. Placed child in stretcher after about 5 more minutes of CPR.

Hope that clears up a lot of misinformation.

Can you please clarify which pool you mean when you say "wave pool" there has been a lot of confusion on the thread about which pool that might be.

Thanks.

can you please clarify which pool you mean when you say "wave pool" there has been a lot of confusion on the thread about which pool that might be.

Thanks.

oasis-of-the-seas-kids-pool-1.jpg.3e2ba0efefe4d54765113beb6f2164c8.jpg

Pool that is the closest....circular in shape.

Edited by fortmill2013