Post Cruise Flight from Rome to Paris

billrco90278

We plan to spend a few days in Paris after a cruise that ends near Rome. Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations of airlines etc? It looks like Orly would be the best

Paris airport to fly into.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depends where you want to stay in the city.

My preference is to avoid LCCs and go with full service carriers. The Wikipedia pages for the various Rome airports will show you the airlines that run to each of the Parisian airports. Not all airlines show up on Expedia et. al.

We have had very good flights on low cost carriers but do no always assume that they will be the least expensive. Last fall we had excellent flights on Vueling (Palermo-Rome was $5o each including bags and taxes) and Air Malta. We avoid easy jet and Ryanair.

We travel light so we tend to prefer FCO and hop on the airport bus during non rush hours) and CDG because we can ride the RER train into town or the. AF bus depending on where we are staying.

It looks like Orly would be the best Paris airport to fly into.
IMHO, there's very little difference between flying to Orly or flying to CDG if you're actually heading for central Paris.

These are the two sites that will be your best first ports of call for searching:-

Don't forget that there may be some airlines that won't offer discount one-way fares on this route. Their one-way fares may be very expensive. But you may be able to fly on these airlines by buying a cheap round-trip ticket and later discovering that your plans have changed so that you can't use the inbound half of the ticket.

I am mixed on the low cost carriers in Europe. I really do enjoy EasyJet, but hate Ryanair. Heck, I just booked an Easyjet ticket the other day MAN-HAM for a business trip - got a Flexi fare that included an extra legroom seat and 20kg baggage for 80 Euro. I have flown them several times around Europe/northern Africa without issue (knock on wood). But Ryanair...I flew them twice and really disliked both experiences.

Vueling has lots of flights, but terrible reviews. Is it really any worse than the average US airline? I

can accept a flight being late, discomfort, and poor service. What concerns me is cancelled flights and lost baggage.

Vueling has lots of flights, but terrible reviews. Is it really any worse than the average US airline? I

can accept a flight being late, discomfort, and poor service. What concerns me is cancelled flights and lost baggage.

I have never flown Vueling but have heard mixed. Just keep in mind that people are much more likely to write a review complaining than they are praising. According to FlightStats.com, which tends to be fairly reliable in my experience, Vueling has an on-time performance of 82% and minimal cancellations. To compare, United has a 77% on-time rating, Southwest is 82%, American is 77%, British Airways is 75%.

We have only done one zvueling trip. We have done plenty of United, Delta,and AA domestics. Based on our experience we would pick Vueling in a heartbeat over them.

Just had the good fortune to travel on a United code share operated by ANA from SFO to BKK. The diference in service levels and food was stunning when compared to our United Houston-LHR flight several months ago. This was in economy. The United service to LHR was mediocre at best.

I have done it on Alitalia into CDG. Air France is also a option.

Another option that is interesting that you might want to look into is. Kuwait Airlines is also an option I almost used.

If you have extra Delta miles, you can often get flights on Air France at prime times which would sell for $750 OW. The NS flights from FCO To CDG on Air France are very expensive otherwise, even though the schdules are the best.

I've sometimes seen that flights one-way can be expensive but if you book a round trip with a departure a couple of weeks in the future on a non-peak travel day it can be much cheaper than a one-way. In that case you would take your savings to the bank and throw away return ticket (not take the return flight).

Why not take the overnight train? They have pullman-style sleeper compartments and provide a light breakfast in the morning. There is a restaurant car that provides good meals. We've done this twice - Paris to Rome, and Paris to Venice - and enjoyed it both times. No airport hassles and you arrive right in the heart of Paris at the Gare de Bercy, which is nearby the Gare de Lyon.

Not super-cheap but you save a night's hotel accommodation so it works out as good value.