St. Croix Local

drake2014

Wednesday go to Freedom City. You'll have more fun.

Thanks Drake.... we will not be there until next February so you can see I am a planner. If you are around stop in and we will buy you a drink.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome information here!

We arent going until February, we'll be there the day after the Super Bowl. Definitely gonna check out Cruzan and then head back near the pier.

Are there any decent craft beer bars in the area? I know there is always the Carib, St. Johns Brewers and etc, but anything else I should look for?

And is drinking permitted on the beach or in pubic areas?

Awesome information here!

We arent going until February, we'll be there the day after the Super Bowl. Definitely gonna check out Cruzan and then head back near the pier.

Are there any decent craft beer bars in the area? I know there is always the Carib, St. Johns Brewers and etc, but anything else I should look for?

And is drinking permitted on the beach or in pubic areas?

The brewpub in Christiansted is probably right up your alley, I recommend you check it out.

Drink is basically required everywhere you go lol. To my knowledge there is not a single place on this island you can't drink, public or otherwise.

Hi Darrin, hey we won't be in St. Croix until next April (never too early to start planning) on a Sunday. Is the rum tour open on Sunday? Sorry if this was answered earlier I just started planning.

Drake-You said that Sandcastle is barely walkable from the cruise ship. Is that due to distance or walking conditions? How far is it from the ship?

Just over a mile from the pier. If you want to walk a mile in the caribbean sun with hardly any sidewalks you are more active than I am.

Keep in mind that a taxi is less than $5.

Edited by drake2014

Hi Darrin, hey we won't be in St. Croix until next April (never too early to start planning) on a Sunday. Is the rum tour open on Sunday? Sorry if this was answered earlier I just started planning.

Cruzan is open whenever a cruise ship is in port, Sunday or otherwise. Cards only, no cash accepted at the distillery. Enjoy your visit!

The Brew Pub is Fort Christin Brew Pub if anyone else was interested.

http://fortchristianbrewpub.com/

Leatherback and Hammerhead are my favorites but everything there is good. It's one of the very few reasons I ever go to Christiansted.

Regarding the public drinking, you know you can drink and drive here right buddy? Once the law says that's ok they don't really get to restrict it anywhere else. :)

Haha well i have no plans in driving. But stumbling around the island should be fun. We will probably hit Cruzan then come back closer to the port for some beach/shopping/drinking.

Then again it'll be the day after the Super Bowl, so who knows what shape I'll be in.

Thanks Drake for all the great info. Im on the the island for the next two weeks. We are way over on the east end in Slob. Have a unbelievable view of the north beach as well as the south beach. Can even see the east most part of buck island.

Ceh

Thanks Drake for all the great info. Im on the the island for the next two weeks. We are way over on the east end in Slob. Have a unbelievable view of the north beach as well as the south beach. Can even see the east most part of buck island.

Ceh

Come out west and I'll buy you a beer!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Drake

First off thanks for posting such helpful information!

I will be on the AOS in May (the only ship that month apparently). In the past I have done cooking classes in Curacao and Florence...a nice way to get a feel for the location. Are there any cooking classes near the port? on a Sunday?

Thanks

I'm sorry to report that there aren't any cooking classes. I recommend you come check out the Coconut Cup at Freedom City, oh and Reef Jam is at Rainbow!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are seniors. We'll be in St. Croix on a Sunday and would like to go to a beach. My husband needs some shade. Which beaches rent chairs and umbrellas? Do any of the beaches have drop offs near shore? Okay for getting in but I have had trouble getting out before so would like to avoid. Would we be best to get a taxi and go to a beach a bit further away rather than the one closest to the pier? I'm thinking that one will probably be the most crowded, especially with it being a Sunday and many things closed. Any help would be appreciated.

Local food...what to look for? Not wanting hamburgers, hot dogs.

• 3 weeks later...
My husband and I are seniors. We'll be in St. Croix on a Sunday and would like to go to a beach. My husband needs some shade. Which beaches rent chairs and umbrellas? Do any of the beaches have drop offs near shore? Okay for getting in but I have had trouble getting out before so would like to avoid. Would we be best to get a taxi and go to a beach a bit further away rather than the one closest to the pier? I'm thinking that one will probably be the most crowded, especially with it being a Sunday and many things closed. Any help would be appreciated.

Local food...what to look for? Not wanting hamburgers, hot dogs.

I would recommend Sandcastle on the Beach for you two as it sounds like the best fit. They have a great beachfront restaurant with excellent service as well as chair and umbrella rentals and plenty of people to help you.

• 3 weeks later...

We are interested in the Botanical Garden, Whim Museum and Point Udall.

Can you tell me the best way to do this?

If we don't take in Point Udall, are the other two things walkable distance?

Please provide rough costs as well. Thanks!

Edited by CRUSINGFAMILY

We are interested in the Botanical Garden, Whim Museum and Point Udall.

Can you tell me the best way to do this?

If we don't take in Point Udall, are the other two things walkable distance?

Please provide rough costs as well. Thanks!

If you're coming in by cruise ship skip point udall. The best part of that place is watching the sunrise before anyone else in the states and no cruise ship gets you here early enough for that.

As far as the botanical gardens and whim museum go, no they are absolutely not in walking distance you'll need to catch a taxi. If you tell me what day you'll be here I will confirm if they are both open. Should cost you about $10 at each place to do a tour and hang out as long as you like.

Personally I would catch a taxi from the pier to the gardens, then another taxi from there to whim, finally one more back to town.

I hope you enjoy it!

I would recommend Sandcastle on the Beach for you two as it sounds like the best fit. They have a great beachfront restaurant with excellent service as well as chair and umbrella rentals and plenty of people to help you.

Drake,

How long would it take to go from Sandcastle to the Cruzan Rum Tour, take the tour, and get back to the cruise ship.

BRR