St. Croix Local

drake2014

Hi Darrin, We will be in St Croix on Sunday, January 17. Can you tell me if the Lost Dog Pub is near any of the beaches? My husband may want to watch a little football in paradise. :D Thanks!

Lost Dog is on King Street which is one block inland from the pier. It's roughly 6 blocks away from Fort Frederik Beach. Enjoy!

We will be in St. Croix on Wednesday, Jan 27. My husband and I would like to take a taxi to Whim Museum. Can anyone tell me how far it is from the ship and the approximate price of a taxi? Would we have difficulty finding a taxi to return to the ship? Thanks

10-15 minutes depending on ship day traffic. Should cost about $10-15 for the two of you one way. I would arrange with that taxi driver to come pick you up when you are done. If not you can always have the museum call for a taxi for you.

Hello Drake 2014,

Is it possible to hang out at SandCastle in the morning for about 4 hrs then take a taxi to the afternoon? We are a party of 6 adults

What is the earliest we can arrive at Sand Castle Resort??

Any help would be great! Thank your

Thank you so much! I hope I answered your taxi questions adequately on your other thread. I've never been to R2R myself but I have some friends that volunteer up there and absolutely love it. I hope you have a great time! I've always driven to the tide pools (off roading in jeeps) and never hiked it, you are more adventurous than I am but please do be careful.

If you are not in the mood for rum and the beach that's perfectly understandable, I hope you still enjoy your day on my home.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the help!

$12-15 per couple. You might pay a couple dollars more if you are the only ones going that way so figure $20 to be safe.

Drake - We'll be arriving St Croix Monday November 2nd. I've heard about someone called "The Mahogany Guy" who sells carvings located somewhere in the forest. Is this something we should check out and if so what is the best way to get there? Also what is a good pub for an afternoon break :rolleyes: while my wife and her friends go shopping?

Hello Drake 2014,

Is it possible to hang out at SandCastle in the morning for about 4 hrs then take a taxi to the afternoon? We are a party of 6 adults

What is the earliest we can arrive at Sand Castle Resort??

Any help would be great! Thank your

Absolutely but they charge you the same rate whether or not you stay the whole day at Sandcastle. Generally on ship days they are open before the ship docks but I can't promise that.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all of your advice; what a great resource! Where is the best place for beach snorkeling for a family with two children who swim well? We will be arriving on a Sunday. Sandcastle, Rainbow or somewhere else? TIA

Edited by borcherk
added information

Drake - We'll be arriving St Croix Monday November 2nd. I've heard about someone called "The Mahogany Guy" who sells carvings located somewhere in the forest. Is this something we should check out and if so what is the best way to get there? Also what is a good pub for an afternoon break :rolleyes: while my wife and her friends go shopping?

Sorry to say I'm not familiar with that guy so I can't really help you there, I will ask around though. I imagine he would be up by the domino club since that's the main spot in the rainforest, a taxi should get you there fine.

Lost Dog is the only official "Pub" in Frederiksted but I prefer Pier 69 myself. Sports on the tv's, good drinks, good food, and good company at Pier 69.

Can the taxis accommodate a scooter that breaks down in 5 parts?

What is a reasonable price to pay for a 3 hour tour?

Thank you

All the Taxi's are big 15 passenger vans so yes they should be able to take that.

Not sure about a 3 hour tour (the gilligan's island theme song is in my head now, thanks) but I know Sweeney's charges $65 per person for their 6 hour tour. I hope that helps!

we would like to go to leap to purchase a few small items, anyone know approximately how much for 2 people to and from the pier. thanks

LEAP is a cool place! Glad to hear you are checking it out! I'm trying to do the math in my head here, it's about 2 miles from the pier so it should be about $15. They might charge you $25-30 for the round trip. Make sure to make arrangements with the taxi driver to get back to the beach.

Thank you for all of your advice; what a great resource! Where is the best place for beach snorkeling for a family with two children who swim well? We will be arriving on a Sunday. Sandcastle, Rainbow or somewhere else? TIA

With the family you should come to Sandcastle, great amenities and great snorkeling for everyone! If you tell me when you're coming I'll buy you a beer. :)

Is St. Croix safe after all the violence reports in the news? Anyone been recently?

We're planning to rent a car and tour the island, but having second thoughts.

Boy I'm getting tired of answering questions like this, they make me sad.

Here's the deal, are you planning to buy any drugs while you are here? Perhaps an illegal firearm? Are you currently feuding with a rival gang in the housing projects?

I'm guessing none of the above apply to anyone on these forums, which means you will be absolutely FINE here!

We have gangs, drugs, and violence, like any other major american city. Avoid the areas where these things happen and you are perfectly safe!

I don't even lock the doors on my house, hell I don't even have a lock on my gate, that's how safe St. Croix is if you stay away from the projects.

Please come enjoy your visit and quit worrying about bogeymen in the news.

Boy I'm getting tired of answering questions like this, they make me sad.

Here's the deal, are you planning to buy any drugs while you are here? Perhaps an illegal firearm? Are you currently feuding with a rival gang in the housing projects?

I'm guessing none of the above apply to anyone on these forums, which means you will be absolutely FINE here!

We have gangs, drugs, and violence, like any other major american city. Avoid the areas where these things happen and you are perfectly safe!

I don't even lock the doors on my house, hell I don't even have a lock on my gate, that's how safe St. Croix is if you stay away from the projects.

Please come enjoy your visit and quit worrying about bogeymen in the news.

Thanks! We have booked a car rental and plan to drive around.

Please can you tell me exactly what areas to avoid?

Thanks! We have booked a car rental and plan to drive around.

Please can you tell me exactly what areas to avoid?

The housing projects. There's one across from Captain Morgan and one up the hill from Sandy Point.

The truth is that as a tourist you are off limits from the gangs anyway so you can pretty much go anywhere, no one messes with the tourists.

I believe my message cut off. Sorry

Anyone been to Mt Washington? I'm arriving on a Sunday. Thinking of renting a car to view botanical gardens, Cruzan and a museum. Renter car allows me the flexibility to stop as needed. Will the rental agencies provide a map?

Thank you

I believe my message cut off. Sorry

Anyone been to Mt Washington? I'm arriving on a Sunday. Thinking of renting a car to view botanical gardens, Cruzan and a museum. Renter car allows me the flexibility to stop as needed. Will the rental agencies provide a map?

Thank you

Ok that makes more sense! Yes they will give you a map but if they give you the option of a GPS take it because the roads are a maze here at first. Also make sure to ask the people at the rental agency to show you on the map where you want to go just in case, it can't hurt to know for sure where you are headed.

The estate Mt. Washington plantation is beautiful but I prefer the Whim Museum myself and they are pretty similar.

Enjoy your visit!

Drake - thanks for the suggestion of Pier 69 during our stop. So my day in St Croix will be The Leap and then Pier 69.

I look forward to getting back to your island. A few years ago my wife and I spent a week there. We stayed in Frederiksted and toured all over including the east end. The best part was having dinner with our new found friend and his family in his apartment in a Christiansted project.

Everyone we met left us with a feeling of being truly welcomed.:D