St. Croix Local

drake2014

Besides Cruzan are there any other local food/drink specialties we should try?

Lime in the coconut, bushwacker, and rum punch are our local cocktails. Great local beers: Carib, St. John Brewers, Blackbeard Ale, and Presidente.

Conch fritters and roti are always great.

I am looking at visiting Sandcastle beach during our visit in September, so I was wondering, how far is it from the pier and how much is the day pass? I'm wondering how much of a walk it would be, because my Mom sometimes can't walk very far at all. Would it be best to just catch a taxi?

I am looking at visiting Sandcastle beach during our visit in September, so I was wondering, how far is it from the pier and how much is the day pass? I'm wondering how much of a walk it would be, because my Mom sometimes can't walk very far at all. Would it be best to just catch a taxi?

Too far to walk unless you are in amazing shape. Grab a taxi for a couple dollars and enjoy your day. I think the day pass is $25.

Too far to walk unless you are in amazing shape. Grab a taxi for a couple dollars and enjoy your day. I think the day pass is $25.

http://www.sandcastleonthebeach.com/cruise-ship-beach-pass/

Special Beach Package - $25:

2 Lounge Chairs

1 Umbrella

2 Rum Punches

Hotel facilities located on the Best Swimming Beach

Outdoor Shower

Restrooms

Restaurant & Bar on Premises

Fresh Water Seaside Pool

http://www.sandcastleonthebeach.com/cruise-ship-beach-pass/

Special Beach Package - $25:

2 Lounge Chairs

1 Umbrella

2 Rum Punches

Hotel facilities located on the Best Swimming Beach

Outdoor Shower

Restrooms

Restaurant & Bar on Premises

Fresh Water Seaside Pool

Wow, you guys get a better deal than I do!

It's a vacation in paradise, don't sweat the cost.

Drake, I think you and I must be the only people who think this way.

I cannot count the times I see, all over all the port of call boards, "How much is parking / a beer / taxi / margarita / chair / umbrella / lunch / wifi / jet ski '' etc.

Makes me crazy.

If you want it, get it. If you can't afford it, don't go.

And yes, I see the irony coming from me who talked about penny pinching to get Cruzan Pineapple rum cheaper on island than in the states :)

For me, I just like to plan out how much I can expect to pay in each port, so I can be sure to bring doing cash with me :D. So, another question would be, how much are the taxis to Sandcastle? Also, is that one way or round trip cost? Thanks again for all the helpful info! :D

For me, I just like to plan out how much I can expect to pay in each port, so I can be sure to bring doing cash with me :D. So, another question would be, how much are the taxis to Sandcastle? Also, is that one way or round trip cost? Thanks again for all the helpful info! :D

No problem, should be less than $10 for two people to get to sandcastle from the pier. Generally all taxi fares are one way because your driver isn't going to wait for you on a busy ship day.

Good Afternoon,

I just joined and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Darrin and I live on St. Croix, not too far from the cruise ship pier. I thought that an unbiased local's opinion might be useful to everyone here since I don't work in the tourism industry. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks,

Darrin

There is a store right across from the pier that we bought Cruzan Rum from the last time we were there. Do you know the name of the store and a phone number? I want to say it was right next to Dolly's but not sure. I know it was right across from the pier because our husbands sat on the benches by the pier while we ran across the street to check it out. If you want to email me direct it is kandjahr1atgmaildotcom

There is a store right across from the pier that we bought Cruzan Rum from the last time we were there. Do you know the name of the store and a phone number? I want to say it was right next to Dolly's but not sure. I know it was right across from the pier because our husbands sat on the benches by the pier while we ran across the street to check it out. If you want to email me direct it is kandjahr1atgmaildotcom

I'm going to wait to really answer this until a ship is in port so I can double check but the only place I know of next to Polly's is Christian's Pharmacy.

We will be in St. Croix Monday. I have read that some places are closed on Mondays. Will the bar/restaurant at Sandcastle be open? If so, how crowded does Freedom get when a cruise ship is in port?

Looking forward to having you! Just called Sandcastle and they will have the restaurant open from 11:30am till the boat leaves if you want to go there.

Freedom City will be pretty damn busy but still fun.

Looking forward to having you! Just called Sandcastle and they will have the restaurant open from 11:30am till the boat leaves if you want to go there.

Freedom City will be pretty damn busy but still fun.

Great. Thanks. Now we just need to decide which one to go to.

I'm going to wait to really answer this until a ship is in port so I can double check but the only place I know of next to Polly's is Christian's Pharmacy.

I know it was not a pharmacy. It was directly across from the pier and they sold booze and other stuff

Drake , We will be arriving at St CROIX on Sunday 4/12. What would you recommend , Freedom City or Rainbow Beach ? Better yet where will you be on that Sunday ? After all , the locals have the inside scoop. Let me know

Never Rainbow on a Sunday, I hate the crazy people on jetskis lol. Generally I'm at Sandcastle on Sundays but there was an incident there this weekend so I may stay away for a while.

I could go for tacos, I will put Freedom City on my calendar for the 12th. Come find me at the bar. :)

Drake, do you know if there are any bars near the port that might be showing American sports (the NCAA basketball tournament in particular) on Sunday afternoon? My school will be playing then if we can win on Friday night.

Pier 69 always has the games on but I can't guarantee how late they'll be open (depending on business they like to close up in the afternoon).

If they close up I would hit Lost Dog, they'll probably have it on.

Barring both of those I would suggest you take a stroll up King Street and look for the cheering people around a tv, there will be a few. March Madness is in full swing here!

Never Rainbow on a Sunday, I hate the crazy people on jetskis lol. Generally I'm at Sandcastle on Sundays but there was an incident there this weekend so I may stay away for a while.

I could go for tacos, I will put Freedom City on my calendar for the 12th. Come find me at the bar. :)

I just booked my lounge chairs for Sun Apr 12 at Sandcastle. What was the incident that will keep you away?

Laurna

Pier 69 always has the games on but I can't guarantee how late they'll be open (depending on business they like to close up in the afternoon).

If they close up I would hit Lost Dog, they'll probably have it on.

Barring both of those I would suggest you take a stroll up King Street and look for the cheering people around a tv, there will be a few. March Madness is in full swing here!

Excellent. Thanks for the recommendations.