Istanbul hotels and Info please

We are celebrating our 20 year anniversary with a cruise that ends in Istanbul. It is our first time here.

Do you have any recommendations on a hotel? I've done some research and THINK I want to stay near the Blue Mosque. I want to be in a fairly walkable area (or close to the tram). We usually use Marriott points, but their locations are not great.

I've read that a guide isn't necessary for the city. Do you agree with this? Of course, I want to do the typical tourist stuff - Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar, possible river cruise...or if time allows - a fishing village on the Black Sea.

Thanks for any advice on Istanbul!

Heather

I have been researching Istanbul, as we end up there after our cruise, and will stay 2 nights there. I don't plan to do anything other than tour on our own, as we have no problem doing that and actually like it. We'll use the trams, most likely.

I've decided to stay near the Blue Mosque also. Someone recommend Osmanhan Hotel near there, and it looked quite good to me. However, then I found a little place called Alilass in the same area that I liked. It was a little less expensive (not that Osmanhan is, though - at least in very early Oct. when we'll be there) and it looked modern and cosy. Some people like staying up north in the "other" section (Taksim, maybe? I forget now) as there are more restaurants, bars, nightlife, etc., but we aren't into much of that, so we would prefer to stay in the mosque area. We're also pretty modest in our requirements, so keep that in mind if you look at these two hotels.

Actually, our second night we stay near the airport, not at the Alilass, as we have a 6AM flight and I wanted to make our life simpler and less stressful.

I usually look at a couple hotel sites like booking.com, hotels.com, etc. to get an idea of size of room, whether there's an elevator, etc. Those are real concerns for Venice, but it sounds like less so for Istanbul, however, I don't like surprises, so I research a lot.

I've heard there are airport shuttles from the Blue Mosque area, but if you take those, allow plenty of time. We'll probably just take taxis to/from the ship and airport, but trams the rest of the time.

Here's some info I've compiled:

Pre-booked taxi from Sultanahmet to airport should cost no more than 25€ or Turkish equivalent, over internet or hotel. Plenty of reliable operators. One transfer co. is aeroporttransfer.com, which advertises 25€ incl luggage, cash to driver, hotel to airport.”

Advice from visitor: Get up early. Most museums open at 9 AM. Crowds are already gathering before opening. If you go later than 10 AM to Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sofia, Basilica Cistern - you're gonna have a bad time. Queues are hundreds of meters long, going slow. The rest of monuments have reasonable queues, & can be visited later in day. Don't go to Taksim Square, or on road that leads from Taksim to Galata Tower if you don't like large crowds. There are millions of people on that main street. Might help getting a museum pass. At time of our visit, it would have made up for cost, & we wouldn't have to wait in long queues because we'd get an express pass.

Mosques: Everyone knows Istanbul's famous Sultanahmet (Blue) Mosque, but few realize that this is a city of many imperial mosques, those built for members of the Ottoman imperial family over the centuries.

The Blue Mosque is overwhelmed with visitors when it's not closed at prayer times, while the other great mosques, comparable in size and architecture, receive far fewer visitors, making a visit to them a much more fulfilling experience.

I won't suggest that you not visit the Blue Mosque (though that's a possibility), but I strongly suggest that you spend some time in another of Istanbul's numerous imperial mosques, where you'll have more time to appreciate its architectural grandeur and decoration.

Plan your visits to avoid prayer times so as not to disturb worshippers. Mosques may be closed to visits then.

Süleymaniye Mosque: Largest of Istanbul's imperial mosques, the Süleymaniye is as impressive—or more so—than Blue Mosque. A bonus: the splendid tombs of Sultan Süleyman the Magnificent and his wife Hürrem Sultan (Roxelana).

Sultanahmet (Blue) Mosque: Best-known and most conveniently-visited of Istanbul's imperial mosques, it's also the most crowded. Visit it if you must, but spend some quality time in another imperial mosque as well.

Yeni Valide Mosque: Conveniently located right next to Egyptian (Spice) Bazaar in Eminönü, you're sure to see this splendid mosque from the outside as you pass through, so take the time to go inside. The decoration is breathtaking, the colored tiles a lot easier to see than those in Blue Mosque.

Mihrimah Sultan Mosque: One of my favorites, this beautiful—and beautifully-restored—mosque out by the Chora Church and City Walls is wonderfully feminine, having been built by a princess, Mihrimah Sultan, daughter of Sultan Süleyman the Magnificent.

Sultan Beyazıt Mosque: Conveniently located in Beyazıt Square next to Istanbul University and the Grand Bazaar, the Beyazıt Camii is currently (2013) under restoration.

Fatih Mosque of the Conqueror:The smaller Mosque of Mehmet the Conqueror (Fatih Camii) is the landmark in the traditional Fatih district of Istanbul. It's a favorite with the pious Muslims of the district, and a good place to see Islamic daily life.

I may take one of the ferry boats up the Bosphorus a little way if we have time. It sounds fun, and will be different scenery from what cruisers see when coming into Istanbul.

I considered taking an expensive 2 day trip from Instanbul to Cappadoccia, which has always really interested me. Don't think we'll have time for that, however.

I usually use Google Earth or Google Street Views to see what's around an area, or around a hotel.

The mosque Rustem Pasha (google "A Taste of Travel" and Rustem Pasha) looks great.

tourismturkey.org has good tourist info

Check hotel confirmations. The hotel near airport (Tempo Suites) has in its confirmation that no unmarried couples are allowed in one room. A marriage certificate may be required to be presented! Whoa! I'm 63 years and have been married more than your (almost?) 20 and that will be interesting if I'm asked for one! Muslim owned hotel, I guess..

Anyway, that's my two cents' worth. You won't be in Istanbul on Viking Star, will you?

I stayed at the Osmanhan Hotel last time I was in Istanbul (in October 2014) and it is a wonderful budget hotel option -- not sure I would recommend it for someone looking for a special experience for an anniversary.

If you are into "luxe" there is a Four Seasons in Sultanahmet that is situated in some lovely old renovated Ottoman buildings and the location couldn't be bettered for seeing the main tourist sites.

Another hotel that is really nice but more local is the popular Sari Konak -- great rooms and terrific service. The location is slightly out of the main push in Sultanahmet but still extremely well situated.

We stayed at a nice four star about a block from the Hippodrome/Blue Mosque.

The people at the hotel are great. The hotel has a wonderful breakfast and is modern and new, but the rooms a smaller than a typical US hotel room.

Also, the price is good.

It is the Hotel Lausos

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d1724276-Reviews-s1-Lausos_Hotel-Istanbul.html

roothy123 thanks for the advice on visiting the Mosques...you have been doing your research! We are going to Istanbul in April, 2015 pre Viking Star cruise and staying at the Vault Karakoy the House Hotel. The location seems to be great for exploring many areas of Istanbul though not a budget choice.

#1 on Tripadvisor - now let me say, I don't usually head for the #1 hotel on Tripadvisor, oh who knows why not, but this hotel really is wonderful. There is a rooftop terrace where you can enjoy drinks looking out over the Bosphorus. Every afternoon they put out a FREE mezze spread - in fact, we used this for a late lunch for several days of our stay. In the basement is a spa - nice indoor pool and this wonderful heated marble slab like they have in hamans that is perfect for relaxing at the end of the day in Istanbul. Excellent location, helpful staff, free airport transfer (one way) if you stay 3 or more days - we are hoping to revisit in Oct. at the end of a cruise.

Rick Steves has a great guide to Istanbul and it is also included in his Guide to Med. Cruise Ports. We went over to the European side one afternoon - IMO NO CHARM - stay in the Sultanahmet area - plenty of restaurants there, but maybe not much nightlife unless you want to smoke a hookah with the locals :)

We would like to use Hilton points pre-cruise. Anyone know difference/suggestions between Hilton Istanbul Bosphorsous or Conrad Istanbul?

We also are using HH points. We chose the Doubletree by Hilton, due to its excellent location in the old city. It's very close(easy walking distance) to the major sites. This will be our third visit to Istanbul and its great. We considered the other Hilton hotels but location was more important to us and it has very good reviews. We also decided not to be near Taksim Square where the protests and trouble have occured.

Kramer95: I highly recommend the major tourist sites (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia,Grand Bazaar, etc. They are near each other, very large and even with a crowd, it is not too crowded.

Edited by dabear

I had such a hard time making a decision. I spent weeks reading reviews and studying maps. I have decided on Yasmak Sultan Hotel. It appears to have a great walking distance location. I will be sure to post reviews after the trip.

I appreciate any and all advice on Istanbul. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Highly recommend the Sirkecki Mansion Hotel. Close to everything, easy walk across the bridge to Beygolou, and 10 minutes from Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. Free dinner if you book 4 nights or more, free pickup from the airport and a 10% discount if paying in cash. They take dollars at the current exchange rate, no fees so you can save alot of money. The location is quiet overlooking the topkapi Palace gardens, and even the early morning call to prayer can barely be heard. The service is superb.

The best thing about this hotel is that it gives several free walking tours to people staying there, a wonderful foodie tour, a tour to the Greek and Balat areas, harder to get to and a walking tour around the Sultanhamet area where you see things not otherwise visited by tourists. There is also a wine tasting and cooking class. These events are about four hours each, and are led by one of the employees at the hotel. I took private tours everywhere in Istanbul and felt that these were among the best I had and really gave a sense of the city off the beaten tourist track. The private guides in Istanbul are fantastic, and you will get the personal interaction you cannot get in any Rick Steves book, as well as a view and account of the city from the perspective of a native.

Although I am a fan of the Rick Steves books and tapes, I Personally, feel it is well worth the total experience to spend a little extra in Istanbul to hire at least one private guide for a day.

Also highly recommend the Rustem Pasha Mosque, the most beautiful and intimate of the eight mosques I visited while in the city. It is a wonderful city with so much to see. I was there for a week and didnt see half of what I wanted, so a good excuse to return!

Edited by ptrpanpens

• 2 weeks later...

Maddawg - As I wrote above, we loved the Neorion hotel - I hope you do too. On our last day we had a full hamam treatment there. It was very private and we did not have to go out and about with no make-up and wet hair, as you would if you went to an off site bath.

I had such a hard time making a decision. I spent weeks reading reviews and studying maps. I have decided on Yasmak Sultan Hotel. It appears to have a great walking distance location. I will be sure to post reviews after the trip.

I appreciate any and all advice on Istanbul. :-)

We've picked the Yasmak Sultan too, for our October cruise. When are you going? I'd appreciate feedback on the hotel and distances to the sights, in particular walking times.

Maddawg - As I wrote above, we loved the Neorion hotel - I hope you do too. On our last day we had a full hamam treatment there. It was very private and we did not have to go out and about with no make-up and wet hair, as you would if you went to an off site bath.

Sounds good. Seems like a great location, about a 10 min walk to everything.

I will be staying at the Neorion. I asked them how best to get there from the port and they said use one of the many taxis at the port. But I have read the horror stories about those taxis. Is there a way to prebook transport to a hotel rather than the airport?

Many of the better hotels will provide transport from the airport. I know my hotel, the Sirkecki Mansion provided free private transport with a four night stay and with less nights, the cost was nominal. It was easy to find the driver outside the terminal, even though Ataturk Airport is really chaotic. He drove me to the hotel quickly with absolutely no problems and even gave me a night tour through sultanhamet with Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque lit up. I am surprised the Neorion does not provide this service as it is supposed to be such a great hotel.

Do not use a taxi if you can help it, as they rip you off and often cannot find the hotels. (Or act like they cant).

Edited by ptrpanpens

Many of the better hotels will provide transport from the airport. I know my hotel, the Sirkecki Mansion provided free private transport with a four night stay and with less nights, the cost was nominal. It was easy to find the driver outside the terminal, even though Ataturk Airport is really chaotic. He drove me to the hotel quickly with absolutely no problems and even gave me a night tour through sultanhamet with Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque lit up. I am surprised the Neorion does not provide this service as it is supposed to be such a great hotel.

Do not use a taxi if you can help it, as they rip you off and often cannot find the hotels. (Or act like they cant).

The question was from the port to the hotel. Hotel Neorion offers free transfers from the airport for 3 or more nights.

Per an email I just received from the hotel, transfers from Ataturk airport and port are 25 euros each shuttle. (max. 5 pax). Transfers from Sabiha Gokcen airport are 60 euros each shuttle. (max. 5 pax).

The question was from the port to the hotel. Hotel Neorion offers free transfers from the airport for 3 or more nights.

Per an email I just received from the hotel, transfers from Ataturk airport and port are 25 euros each shuttle. (max. 5 pax). Transfers from Sabiha Gokcen airport are 60 euros each shuttle. (max. 5 pax).

Thanks, I'll check with the hotel again.

#1 on Tripadvisor - now let me say, I don't usually head for the #1 hotel on Tripadvisor, oh who knows why not, but this hotel really is wonderful. There is a rooftop terrace where you can enjoy drinks looking out over the Bosphorus. Every afternoon they put out a FREE mezze spread - in fact, we used this for a late lunch for several days of our stay. In the basement is a spa - nice indoor pool and this wonderful heated marble slab like they have in hamans that is perfect for relaxing at the end of the day in Istanbul. Excellent location, helpful staff, free airport transfer (one way) if you stay 3 or more days - we are hoping to revisit in Oct. at the end of a cruise.QUOTE]

Not sure if I am not looking properly, but what was the name of this hotel? It sounds interesting. Was basically looking for a hotel in the area near the Blue Mosque et al, but hopefully something historic or with a lot of local character. Does anyone know of anything like that?