Favorite departure port

missymckibben

We have sailed from Port Canaveral the most, so we're quite family with that port and really like it. We always spend a day or two there before the cruise.

Sailed once out of Fort Lauderdale and it was okay, but a much busier port. We took a taxi there from the hotel.

We enjoyed sailing out of New Orleans on our last cruise. We drove, and spent 3 days there before the cruise (Le Richlieu Hotel in the French Quarter) and enjoyed a lot of sightseeing. Also enjoyed cruising down the river for several hours before getting out to sea. We had an aft balcony so it was wonderful being able to see everything as we were leaving. And the port was very easy to drive to and navigate around.

Miami is my favorite, especially when there are a lot of ships in port. It's fun to sail past them on sail away because they are all lined up. Both times I've sailed from PoM we would all wave at the other ships as we sailed by and they would do the same.

San Juan was fast and easy with no stress. There is a lot to do around the port with drug stores, restaurants, etc. Sailing past the Forts at night is pretty cool.

Miami has a great sailaway experience. The views are great, but the port area is always a bit of a zoo. It is also a bit of a hassle because we like Southwest and they don't fly into MIA, so we have to hire a car to get there from FLL. It is still my second choice

Depends on my goal. Ft Lauderdale is my favorite mainly because my favorite ships sail out of there and it SO easy to get in and out. Miami has a really fun sail away but the embarkation/disembarkation process has been crazy for me.... Maybe just the ships I have sailed out of there. I haven't done Nawlins but if I wanted to add a couple party days that would be fun. I don't like pt canaveral because there isn't as much to do there unless you go to Orlando. And I have to fly there so it's either an hour drive from Orlando or limited flights at the closer smaller airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have to agree that the next one is the answer.

But to pick the best sail away!

San Francisco

Sailing under the golden gate with the city in the back ground was just awsome.

Edited by Bases5

I'm planning our cruise for the end of April, this will be our 3rd. They have all been on Carnival. What is your favorite departure port and why? Closeness to a port is irrelevant as we live in MN. We've only departed from Miami.

Thanks!

We had a late flight coming home once from Tampa. We liked that port because they kept our luggage for us; we walked to the aquarium that was right next door. There was also a movie theater, shops and places to eat right there by the port. We also liked New Orleans as others have said and Norfolk (because we can drive there in 40 minutes). Happy Cruising! Bonnie

Galveston :) Because Texans are a friendly bunch to travel with! :):D

Sadly I hear flying in and getting to the port are not the most convenient..I drive so I can't speak from personal experience.

I'm planning our cruise for the end of April, this will be our 3rd. They have all been on Carnival. What is your favorite departure port and why? Closeness to a port is irrelevant as we live in MN. We've only departed from Miami.

Thanks!

I have only ever cruised out of Miami, Tampa and Port Everglades. I liked them all for different reasons.

I guess my favorite today, would be Port Everglades/Fort Lauderdale, because of the proximity of the airport to the port with lots of hotels and restaurants near the port, since I fly in a day or two before the cruise.

I did love to cruise from Tampa when we owned a condo in St Petersburg, and it was close to Tampa. We gave up the condo, (not my idea:(), but I would still consider a cruise out of Tampa again some day.

I like Miami too and will definitely not hesitate to book a cruise from there again.

I love New Orleans, and have been on a cruise that stopped there long time ago, so I would love to book a cruise that leaves from New Orleans.

Back on my last cruise in Nov, I fell in love with San Juan Puerto Rico, so my next plan is to book a cruise from there 2016 maybe.