Help! Need advise on booking a Wedding Cruise

Joan Jett

Looking for Bahama cruise/ land wedding advise -

1) Majesty or Enchantment? Does Enchantment cater to kids?

Our daughter likes the itinerary on The Majesty (Miami, Coco Cay, Nassau, *Day at Sea*). Her father and I like the Enchantment (newer, greater cabin selection for guests, possibly more venues for the wedding party to gather in after).

2) In general, does anyone have advise on planning a reception on the cruise? The cruise line will not allow us to book a room past 4pm. We have to be out at 4pm?? Weird!

The wedding is to take place at 4-pm on land followed by cake and champagne, preferably on the ship, and then dinner would be back on the ship with Dancing at one of the clubs?

the whole idea was to save by doing a cruise wedding so I can't wrap my head around paying twice for dinner (once in my cruise package and again by catering a room for 2 hours at a minimum of $50 PP (before alcohol which my group will all already have premium packages)

Help???

I agree....have the couple get married BEFORE the cruise, and use the cruise as a big party/reception!

When you book, you agree (by buying the ticket!) that they can (and sometimes, do) skip ports altogether...that would royally suck if you had a wedding planned there! Plus, it's majorly expensive! You can get the "legal" union much cheaper before the cruise, and have a big party on the ship. I wouldn't book a room or dinner....let everyone do their own thing....it will be fun, no matter how you do it! You could book a private room with booze/bartender, but it's going to cost....although not as much as a wedding!

Do the wedding BEFORE...have a party...and revel in the new union!

Either ship is "kid friendly"...all RCI ship's are family oriented.....no worries!

Edited by cb at sea

First, it would never be my recommendation to do a "Land Wedding" via cruise ship.

What is the back up plan should the ship not stop at that island that day?

Happens quit a bit with cruising.

The one time I've missed a port (the captain didn't want to risk tendering to shore with the high waves), I went on the outside deck to take one last look at Kona, which I've never been to, and someone mentioned that one couple had been planning to get married there, with friends and family meeting them for the ceremony. I would agree with the others to have the ceremony before hand (on some ships, you can get married on board on turn-around day) and if all of your guests are booking the cruise, have the reception on board (albeit for the package deal), or less costly, the reception before the cruise and then have your friends and family prolonging the celebration on the ship.

Definitely, listen to the others who have posted here. Ships miss ports for any number of reasons and there is no recourse. The cruise contract permits them to skip the port, shorten the time in port, substitute ports or make a day at sea. The bride (and her parents) could be very disappointed.

As a Marriage Commissioner, I have performed many marriage ceremonies either in my home or elsewhere, and then the couples have gone on to do symbolic ceremonies either on cruise ships or destinations with beaches, etc. I wouldn't take the chance that your port might be missed due to weather or any other circumstances; have your legal ceremony performed first, then go ahead with the rest of your plans.

As another thought, once the couple has had their legal ceremony performed, you or Dad could preside over their symbolic ceremony onboard - now wouldn't that be an honour for you?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

My stepdaughter got married on a Carnival ship which was sailing out of New York. The ceremony was held in a very nicely decorated lounge on the ship while it was in port - 100 people attended - and then the 'reception' was held in the ship's disco with the typical things you'd have at a land wedding - first dance, cake, etc. About 50 people sailed on the cruise with the couple and those who did not disembarked the ship. The ship's photographer took all the photos/videos. A wedding planner worked with my stepdaughter to plan the event; a minister came on board to perform the ceremony.

Because so many cabins were booked for the cruise, the couple was given a 'free' cocktail hour later in the cruise. They also received a credit which they shared with everyone sailing rather than keeping it for themselves.

I cannot say enough nice things about the event.

Good luck with your planning.

Marianne

How old are the kids? I only ask because Enchantment has a nursery for children 6 months to 3 years. Both ships have Adventure Ocean for 3 and older. So, if anyone is bringing younger children, then Enchantment would be better choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was married in Bermuda while in port on Explorer of the Seas. We had our ceremony at a resort the first day in port (we were in Bermuda for 2 days). We did dinner after the ceremony on the beach back on the ship at the Italian restaurant. As soon as we got on board we ran to the restaurant and made our reservations for 20 people. Depending on how many people are attending you might have to book out the whole thing, I'm not sure on the price. We did cake and champagne after our pics on the beach/ceremony. Then treated the deck party as our reception. We also had a reception for the family that didn't travel with us at home 3 weeks later with a church blessing ceremony.

Did you consider getting married on board ship? My sister did a few years ago on Majesty and we all had a fantastic time from Boarding early to get our hair done in the ships salon to getting changed in the cabins, wedding in a lovely room looking out it sea and then champagne, cake and chocolate strawberries. Had photos taken and then all had dinner together in MDR. Wedding had to take place before ship left the port but it was amazing and no trouble at all. RCI co-ordinate everything. Have a fantastic time whatever you decide.

Cattie, You wedding sounds very romantic and lovely.

Mind if I ask what is your Avatar? It interests me. :)

I wouldn't have done it any other way! And it's a Spanish soccer team Real Madrid. We're big fans in this house =)

RSLeesburg,

The only child we will have is the couple's baby, 1 yr at time of sailing. Couple married in November '14 but we promised our daughter we would hold a wedding for her at her favorite place on the Grand Bahama Island with a sunset wedding.

Thank you for your response.

Cattie,

Thank you for your details as this is what I need to hear so we can move forward. I was thinking the same schedule - wedding at 4-5PM, followed by cake & champagne toast, dinner back on the ship (I was hoping to hold it on formal night at dinner but my daughter wants something private). I have a hard time, as I mentioned, paying for dinner and drinks in a private venue when we already have paid for dinner & drinks).

I will check out the private restaurant and prices.

Thank you again,

J

Cattie,

Thank you for your details as this is what I need to hear so we can move forward. I was thinking the same schedule - wedding at 4-5PM, followed by cake & champagne toast, dinner back on the ship (I was hoping to hold it on formal night at dinner but my daughter wants something private). I have a hard time, as I mentioned, paying for dinner and drinks in a private venue when we already have paid for dinner & drinks).

I will check out the private restaurant and prices.

Thank you again,

J

We actually used my mom's RCL CC points for OBC and paid that way. Didn't cost us a penny =) We kept using her CC to pay off peoples cruises then pay down the bill. Took about a month to do it, but we managed to get enough OBC for dinner and massages for us, my mom and MOH the day before the wedding.

I wouldn't have done it any other way! And it's a Spanish soccer team Real Madrid. We're big fans in this house =)

Thanks about Real Madrid. I LOVE Madrid. :)

RSLeesburg,

The only child we will have is the couple's baby, 1 yr at time of sailing. Couple married in November '14 but we promised our daughter we would hold a wedding for her at her favorite place on the Grand Bahama Island with a sunset wedding.

How late is scheduled sailing for your ship from Grand Bahama Island?

I am a little confused. You want a cruise that visits Nassau, promised daughter a sunset wedding on Grand Bahama. Grand Bahama Island is Freeport. Ships leave there before sunset. Some ships do overnight in Nassau, which I believe is New Providence Island. EM

RSLeesburg,

Are you hiring a wedding planner, someone to officiate and a photographer? If that is the case then I would not plan this on a cruise stop either. If its people gathered on a beach (preferably on the stop of choice) and saying their vows to each other, family and friends, then I would feel differently as this could be done at any port if need be.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Essiesmom,

You got me! The ship port is NewProvidence/Paradise Island and the stop is from 8 AM until midnight so we will have plenty of time to complete all activities on the beach.

Thanks for your listing of ships.

Dear Essiesmom,

You got me! The ship port is NewProvidence/Paradise Island and the stop is from 8 AM until midnight so we will have plenty of time to complete all activities on the beach.

That is Nassau. :)

Dear Essiesmom,

I think the point EM was trying to make is that if you sail to Nassau, you cannot have a wedding on Grand Bahama Island. You can have a wedding on one of the beaches on New Providence or Paradise Island, but not Grand Bahama. You need a cruise that sails to Freeport in order to have a wedding on Grand Bahama Island.

Sent from my iPad using Forums