Man Overboard Oasis - Picked up by Disney Magic

ryano

That had to be one crazy wave. Where they in a monsoon???:eek:

Sounds like he was doing something he shouldn't have, like sitting on the rail and fell in. Then had to come up with another excuse to blame it on the ship/ocean. Also, if he was on the bow, the watchers/spotters up on the bridge should have seen him.

Certainly the bridge should have noted a large wave sweeping over their bow, especially a wave with force to sweep a person off the bow...not that a passenger should have been on her bow uninvited. The cameras may tell the tale....

That had to be one crazy wave. Where they in a monsoon???:eek:

Sounds like he was doing something he shouldn't have, like sitting on the rail and fell in. Then had to come up with another excuse to blame it on the ship/ocean. Also, if he was on the bow, the watchers/spotters up on the bridge should have seen him.

Maybe it was a wave of stupidity and not H2O. :rolleyes:

When I mentioned this story to DH just now he said he already knew. A FB friend posted a couple of photos of the rescue as he is on Disney Magic.

Just sharing the photos. I do not know any more about the story.

I am assuming the first photo is a flare.

10426910_10152641932901693_6789405637078597422_n.jpg?oh=41d77fee1a70d618993720eadb12f277&oe=556B2175

10933703_10152641927241693_3117879924067342036_n.jpg?oh=ec9cc5ee9239a94290e3095c81f3da2f&oe=55265971&__gda__=1429381991_7c59035565443b9e84962ceb067be2a5

With calm seas and a calm personality it can be done without flotation. Its probably equally impressive to be spotted alone on the ocean even if people are looking for you.

With Oasis not knowing that they had a passenger overboard and having had Serenade pass 2 hours later along with 2 Carnival ships and the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, it was certainly with a great deal of luck that he was spotted by the Disney Magic that was coming into port 3 hours behind Oasis if they were on schedule.

When I mentioned this story to DH just now he said he already knew. A FB friend posted a couple of photos of the rescue as he is on Disney Magic.

10426910_10152641932901693_6789405637078597422_n.jpg?oh=41d77fee1a70d618993720eadb12f277&oe=556B2175

10933703_10152641927241693_3117879924067342036_n.jpg?oh=ec9cc5ee9239a94290e3095c81f3da2f&oe=55265971&__gda__=1429381991_7c59035565443b9e84962ceb067be2a5

One thing for sure - those are not calm seas. It's amazing anyone spotted the man.

I just cannot wrap my mind around this. Hopefully we'll find out what really happened. Thank you emmy for sharing the pictures. I'm thankful that he was rescued.

Indeed thankfully a successful rescue. You're welcome

Is this true or false statement? :confused:

"This cruise line has made no efforts to comply with the 2010 Cruise Vessel Safety & Security Act which requires the installation of automatic man overboard systems."

Originally Posted by RocketMan275 View Post

You can make a rather serviceable floating device from a pair of long pants. Take them off, zip them up, tie a knot near the ankles, grasp near the waist, take a deep breath, stick your head inside the waist band and exhale. Repeat. After a few minutes, you will have inflated your floating device. Put a leg under each arm. You may need to add air.

Saw that episode of myth busters. It actually worked quite well.

I learned in lifesaving class that the pants can be inflated by holding them at the waistband and then starting from behind your head, quickly 'slap' them onto the water in front of you and then crimp the waist band closed. We practiced this in the water and it works quite well.

Edited by jimdalva

"This cruise line has made no efforts to comply with the 2010 Cruise Vessel Safety & Security Act which requires the installation of automatic man overboard systems."

I am not familiar with the law, but still my mind races....

Did a proven (or even workable) automatic man overboard system exist when the powers that be wrote the law? Does it now? Would it create more trouble than it is worth? Or is it the dream of a lawyer who wants to slam the industry if it does not comply and/or if the system fails? How many people who go overboard from cruise ships are jumping or are doing something unsafe? Might an an automatic suicide and stupidity detection system be a worthy substitute?

I found this quote: "according to Stephen Caldwell, the U.S. Government Accountability Office's director of maritime security and Coast Guard issues, cruise lines and the Coast Guard agree that the current man overboard system 'don't work very well yet.'" from April 2014 http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2014/04/coast_guard_searching_for_man.html

I am not familiar with the law, but still my mind races....

Did a proven (or even workable) automatic man overboard system exist when the powers that be wrote the law? Does it now? Would it create more trouble than it is worth? Or is it the dream of a lawyer who wants to slam the industry if it does not comply and/or if the system fails? How many people who go overboard from cruise ships are jumping or are doing something unsafe? Might an an automatic suicide and stupidity detection system be a worthy substitute?

Jim Walker is scum. He is the worst of the worst of "ambulance chaser" lawyers. Most of the time there is very little facts in his over sensationalized drivel and Im guessing that is the case here.

I had no doubt he would be the first one all over this story. He hates the cruise industry.

Not really. He is deliberately omitting part of the law in order to bolster his statements. The act, as written and passed states:

Passenger vessel security and safety requirements

(a) VESSEL DESIGN, EQUIPMENT, CONSTRUCTION, AND RETROFITTING REQUIREMENTS.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—Each vessel to which this subsection applies shall comply with the following design and construction standards:

(A) The vessel shall be equipped with ship rails that are located not less than 42 inches above the cabin deck.

(B) Each passenger stateroom and crew cabin shall be equipped with entry doors that include peep holes or other means of visual identification.

© For any vessel the keel of which is laid after the date of enactment of the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2010, each passenger stateroom and crew cabin shall be equipped with—

(i) security latches; and

(ii) time-sensitive key technology.

(D) The vessel shall integrate technology that can be used for capturing images of passengers or detecting passengers who have fallen overboard, to the extent that such technology is available.

He is willfully omitting the "or" from the act, which changes the law completely. RCI DOES have the capability for capturing images along the sides of their ships, thus they comply with the law.

He also willfully misstates NCL's compliance with the law when he says that they are using overboard detection equipment. According to a March 2014 interview with Captain Svein Sleipnes of Norwegian Cruise Line:

Sleipnes confirms that Norwegian has focused on similar priorities in its efforts to upgrade its safety systems.

"Surveillance cameras, for instance, play an important part in our automated fire safety systems," he notes. "If a fire alarm comes up, then the feed from the surveillance camera immediately comes on-screen in the control room. Over the last five years, a lot of work has also gone into systems redundancy in order to ensure that a ship can return to port if there is a safety issue. Propulsion systems, for example, will not be disabled when there is the right level of redundancy. There are also man-overboard detection systems that we are testing on our ships now."

So the overboard detection systems are still in the testing phase on the NCL ships.

Edited by tahqa

Thanks. Leave it to a lawyer to use selective context.

I thought there were heat signature cameras that were in use today, not just video, something similar to a FLIR system. I am surprised to learn actually that the technology was not advanced as I had thought. So all in all a very lucky rescue for this guy!

Why people use the word exciting day! when talking about a possible tragedy that fortunately had a good outcome... :mad::mad:

Really?????

The poster of that message was on a cruise ship that performed a sea rescue of someone and probably saved their life.

Tragedy averted, a sea rescue was performed and witnessed, and a life was saved. I (and most) would find that somewhat exciting.

Saw that episode of myth busters. It actually worked quite well.

As a Boy Scout we had to do it as part of earning Lifesaving merit badge.

Not sure why it had to be confirmed by Mythbusters.It's like jumping into the water wearing a shirt and you get that giant bubble trapped in there.

Obviously it's not air tight, so it'll need to be refilled with air. It can also be done by swinging the pants over your head to trap air, though the exhale technique works better at filling it up.

This is interesting. Did a passenger fall off the bow of a ship where passengers can't go with flares? How in the heck did a passenger a) get to the bow, and b) happen to be carrying flares?????

As for "clothing" used as flotation, I am a retired Coast Guard Pilot. That was a technique taught to us in training, and we were required to use it to float in a pool for an hour without touching bottom or sides. It works extremely well. A technique that all cruise passengers should keep in mind.

This is interesting. Did a passenger fall off the bow of a ship where passengers can't go with flares? How in the heck did a passenger a) get to the bow, and b) happen to be carrying flares?????

As for "clothing" used as flotation, I am a retired Coast Guard Pilot. That was a technique taught to us in training, and we were required to use it to float in a pool for an hour without touching bottom or sides. It works extremely well. A technique that all cruise passengers should keep in mind.

It's amazing what a 22 years old under the influence can manage to do. Not sure the flare came from him. Possibly the Magic did that to keep his location in site while they set out the rescue dingy.

It's amazing what a 22 years old under the influence can manage to do. Not sure the flare came from him. Possibly the Magic did that to keep his location in site while they set out the rescue dingy.

The man is 22 years old? I did not know that. Perhaps his youth was in his favor once he went into the water.

Glad the man was rescued

Here is what I do not understand-I have not sailed Oasis as yet - but last week was on a bridge tour on Explorer. View from up there is magnificent! I clearly remember the helipad area being in full view.

If pax was on helipad and fell over board from a wave - wouldn't someone from the bridge have noticed?

As a Boy Scout we had to do it as part of earning Lifesaving merit badge.

Not sure why it had to be confirmed by Mythbusters.It's like jumping into the water wearing a shirt and you get that giant bubble trapped in there.

Obviously it's not air tight, so it'll need to be refilled with air. It can also be done by swinging the pants over your head to trap air, though the exhale technique works better at filling it up.

While the exhale technique works well in practice situations, in the event of a real situation, with adrenaline levels peaking, and the possibility of panic setting in, the risk of hyperventilation becomes very real. We always recommended that approach or slapping the surface water into the pants as a "re-fill" technique once you had the pants initially inflated with the swing technique.

Glad the man was rescued

Here is what I do not understand-I have not sailed Oasis as yet - but last week was on a bridge tour on Explorer. View from up there is magnificent! I clearly remember the helipad area being in full view.

If pax was on helipad and fell over board from a wave - wouldn't someone from the bridge have noticed?

This incident appears to have happened on the approach to Cozumel, 8 'miles' out. Oasis was due in at 6 AM local time and was the first ship to arrive. This would have been a nighttime incident, probably occurring just after 3 AM.

Glad the man was rescued

First, passengers are not permitted on the helipad on the Oasis/Allure. I do not even know how he could have accessed it.

Further, if he did, I am sure that he would have been noticed immediately by the bridge and action would have been taken.