What are the cheapest months to cruise?

jasbo49

We've gotten some pretty good fares in January and October, but we're wondering if there are other months that tend to be a buyer's market.

We're retired and really able to go most times of year, and we're happy to book a cruise a week or less away. But we can do more cruising if we get 'em cheap. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Jim

I cruised Jan 25-30 last year, this going Jan 26-31 (great last minute deal), so it seems that at least the Caribbean is pretty cheap in January. I have also seen good deals for August or Sept, but remember that that is the height of hurricane season, which is probably why the rates are so low.

A good rule of thumb is, prices are cheapest when kids are in school, and at the beginning and end of seasonal destinations, like Alaska and Europe. Since you are retired and can travel whenever, avoid spring break, especially around Easter week, Christmas, and all of summer. For short cruises, don't go on long holiday weekends.

I live in Orlando, work in a theme park, and worked for a tour wholesaler for 10 years, so I am pretty well-versed in my "good times to visit a tourist destination".

I am assuming your are referring to cruises to the Bahamas and/or Caribbean? If not, the answer would be different.

If you are, in my experience, we found the best fares in mid-September through October, the couple of weeks between Thanksgiving and the start of Winter break for schools, and most of January-February.

We've gotten some pretty good fares in January and October, but we're wondering if there are other months that tend to be a buyer's market.

We're retired and really able to go most times of year, and we're happy to book a cruise a week or less away. But we can do more cruising if we get 'em cheap. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Jim

If you want to do a drive. Alaska is cheapest in May and September.

Since you are in Oregon . Seattle and Vancouver are an easy drive for an Alaska cruise.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. We're on the West Coast, but are open to all cruises in north and central America or within reach (got to admit the Celebrity "TransPacific" stuff has caught our eye, along with all the affordable TransAtlantics).

Kamloops50: We've been on one Alaska cruise and would be interested in another, but they are so darned expensive. Even in the "off months," it's hard to come close to $100 a night for a balcony. That's our standard.

Jim

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. We're on the West Coast, but are open to all cruises in north and central America or within reach (got to admit the Celebrity "TransPacific" stuff has caught our eye, along with all the affordable TransAtlantics).

Kamloops50: We've been on one Alaska cruise and would be interested in another, but they are so darned expensive. Even in the "off months," it's hard to come close to $100 a night for a balcony. That's our standard.

Jim

We have never used a balcony in Alaska . The off season can be to coolish to use a balcony. You won't find many balcony cabins for $100 per night . Lately balconies even in the Caribbean are starting at $150 to $200 depending on the cabin.

Edited by Kamloops50

Trans-Atlantic cruises can be inexpensive booked at the last minute, but the one-way airfare can add a considerable amount to the cost. My brother and his wife got a great rate on one in October and found a relatively inexpensive flight to London.

Be sure to sign up for last-minute offers at all the cruise lines you're interested in. For instance, I get email deals from Princess and Holland America.

@Kamloops50,

What are you talking about? You can book 7 day Caribbean cruises, West, east, and southern Caribbean on Carnival right now for $550 per person for a balcony. Even purchasing at full price, it's $760 per person for balcony. $150-$200 sounds like you aren't the best bargain hunter.

Carnival , RCI and NCL are our last cruise lines of choice . I don't look at cruises with the cost first but how will fit with general type of person on board ,destination and length . Our airfare costs in Canada are fairly significant . If i add airfare ( all cruises except Alaska) we pay at minimum $600 in airfare ( California) from our home airport.

I'm paying a 30% differential in price at this time . Every dollar US costs me about a $1.30 Canadian. If I have to book a last minute ( around 70 days ) , my cheapest airfare doubles in cost .

If I book about 120 days out that is when I get my best airfare price but not cruise price . I have looked at Carnival from Los Angeles . Airfare is almost the same price as the cruise.

Airfare from the nearest airport (Kamloops ) to Vancouver is about $500 return . California is the about $400 return. A total of $900 just to fly to Los Angeles.

Edited by Kamloops50

Jim

Cruise to where?

DON

Cruise to where?

DON

I think I mentioned in my second post that we're on the West Coast and open to just about anything involving north and central America, also TransAtlantics.

As geoherb notes, the TransAtlantics can be super cheap, but I can't imagine flying to Europe and then getting right on a ship headed back. You'd want to spend at least a week over there, so that -- along with the extra airfare -- bumps up the cost quite a bit. What we'd really like is a full transit Panama Canal, but boy those are steep. Even the "taxes and fees" add on is a whopper.

Jim

I think I mentioned in my second post that we're on the West Coast and open to just about anything involving north and central America, also TransAtlantics.

As geoherb notes, the TransAtlantics can be super cheap, but I can't imagine flying to Europe and then getting right on a ship headed back. You'd want to spend at least a week over there, so that -- along with the extra airfare -- bumps up the cost quite a bit. What we'd really like is a full transit Panama Canal, but boy those are steep. Even the "taxes and fees" add on is a whopper.

Jim

Fees are because the cruise line pays between $150 &$250 per berth to go thru the canal. I heard that Coral or Island pay about $400k to transit the canal. This cost is passed to the passengers.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app