329 members have voted

1. 1. Tips for Children / Young People

• No tips for children under 5 yrs old
    • No tips for children under 12 yrs old
    • No tips for children under 16 yrs old
    • Reduced 50% tip rate for children under 5 yrs old
    • Reduced 50% tip rate for children under 12 yrs old
    • Reduced 50% tip rate for children under 16 yrs old
    • Every person cruising no matter what age should pay at least current suggested tip rates

I saw FIRST HAND just how much mess toddlers make. we all know the 'infants' in question on a certain thread refers to SIXTEEN MONTH OLD TWINS at the time of sailing. that a means they ARE WALKING and can no longer be considered 'infants'. they are TODDLERS. Toddlers are walking disasters.

my first cruise, which was RIGHT after they changed the regs on kids in the CL for Cocktail hour, there was a family with a toddler.. I would guesstimate around 18 months old. while the child itself was( mostly) quiet, the things was every single night, this family came in, plopped themselves down in front of 3 tables and their respective chairs( it was a larger group) and let Junior mush crackers into EVERYTHING.. the table, the chairs, the CARPET.

they stayed maybe 30-45 minutes then took off.. leaving behind a path of destruction so bad that every night the Concierge had to call for housekeeping come in and do a complete clean.. to include vacuuming.. all around the rest of us trying to enjoy some quiet conversation and a drink.

I can only imagine what the stateroom looked like on daily basis, let alone the dining room table( My guess is they needed to strip it down completely every night and replace the table cloth)

I am sick and tired of some parents feeling that their children are to be free in all things.. they cost money to maintain, entertain, and to generally provide for. a LOT of money and the sooner you accept that is how it is, the sooner everyone will stop hating on their mere presence at every turn.

an adult can pick up after themselves to a certain extent.. I know I make my bed every morning even though I know damn well the cabin steward will be in later on and redo it. I also wipe down the sink when it gets too gross even though again, I know he'll be by later to scrub it down. I pick pillows up off the floor, I stack my room service dishes neatly. I do a general tidy every time we leave the cabin.

as for those that complain that the price should be folded into the cost: Guess what?! sail a Premium line AND IT IS as they are quite explicit that no tip is expected.

Interesting to me (though I respect maybe not you - so no need to post and tell me) that nearly a quarter of respondents (@ 15:22hrs GMT) think paying $12 per day per child is too much in gratuities.

:)

Edited by delirious9876

Royal Caribbean stock is at a high and they are flush with profits. Why is it my fault they don't pay their employees? Like I said, I tip well and expect great service but it's up to a company to pay their employees a fair wage.
IMO not acknowledging that there are different business models around the world, and thinking that everyplace must operate in the fashion that you are used to, is a fault. There are places in the world where tipping is virtually unknown (eg Japan, much of the South Pacific at least until recently) and employees are paid accordingly. There are places in the world where service employees are paid nothing (eg many places in the Middle East) and survive on tips. If you are not willing to acknowledge and accept different ways of doing things in different places, perhaps travel is not appropriate.

Interesting to me (though I respect maybe not you - so no need to post and tell me) that nearly a quarter of respondents (@ 15:22hrs GMT) think paying $12 per day per child is too much in gratuities.

Don't get too excited. Your poll is flawed. If there are only 2 sides to the argument ($12 is too much, or $12 is fine), then why have 5-6 options for one choice and 1 option for the other side. Why not include "I think $12 is not enough".

You clearly have an agenda whose bias is evident.

I am not antagonistic. I also object strongly to being called a troll. I haven't called people trolls just referred to behaviour as 'troll-ish'. I will accept your bully like behaviour though Aquahound.

I just say what I think - many comments of which fall in line with CC RCCL cheerleaders as I to am loyal to Royal.

Other comments that don't sit neatly within some CC people's psychy are usually deemed antagonistic, inciteful etc. etc. this is simply not fair. The 'frowners' always seem to be the multi thousand posting profiles. Almost like they think it is their CC and therefore not a place for free speech.

If you think a poll like this is antagonistic just do the decent and/or simple thing . . . Keep away . . . And post on a thread that meets your RCCL & cruising rose tinted glasses.

What is quite funny is I've met 3 people from on here over the past 2 years, all of who have flamed me quite a lot. In real life they really liked me and I got on well with them. Little did they know I was this 'not nice person' 'antagonistic' and 'troll like poster' from CC (or so people like you say!!)

Lol

Lol

Lol

:) :) :)

The people with multi thousand posts have that many posts because they maintain the same screen name over the years and post within the rules of cruise critic. As far as freedom of speech, this is a privately owned board that has its own rules. All of us have the right to post within those rules, not just those you agree with.

The people with multi thousand posts have that many posts because they maintain the same screen name over the years and post within the rules of cruise critic. As far as freedom of speech, this is a privately owned board that has its own rules. All of us have the right to post within those rules, not just those you agree with.

Thank you for your comments. I totally agree with you :)

Or put another way: Despite your skewed presentation of options (which led me to not respond to the poll at all), over three quarters of the responders think that full tips should be given for all children. And based on comments on the thread many feel that people should tip MORE for children.

Don't get too excited. Your poll is flawed. If there are only 2 sides to the argument ($12 is too much, or $12 is fine), then why have 5-6 options for one choice and 1 option for the other side. Why not include "I think $12 is not enough".

You clearly have an agenda whose bias is evident.

Not excited, just interested :)

And I wouldn't say bias on purpose, just not thought through as well as maybe I should have done - and not thinking it through wasn't on purpose either :)

Or put another way: Despite your skewed presentation of options (which led me to not respond to the poll at all), over three quarters of the responders think that full tips should be given for all children. And based on comments on the thread many feel that people should tip MORE for children.

I know - more tips for children - crazy to me IMHO, but totally respected as another persons viewpoint :)

Aren't you interested in the quality of the service you get though?

Arent you D+? That means you have been on MANY cruises if so.

Can you truly say that you have had service that was not at LEAST good enough to deserve the measly 12.00 pp pd?

Ive only been on 3 RCI cruises. I cannot say that. I suppose maybe my time is coming.

We have 2 kids - 6 and 8 - and we are booked for their 2nd cruise next month. When we budget for our cruises, we include the suggested gratuity as part of the cost of the vacation, so it's no surprise. We will tip at least that amount, and will add more for exceptional service. The crew works just as hard for our kids as they do for us.

Not to mention, the kids take up 2 spots that cannot be sold to adults who would, in theory, pay the full gratuity. They can only have a certain number of passengers on board, whether they are 1 year old or 100 years old.

Arent you D+? That means you have been on MANY cruises if so.

Can you truly say that you have had service that was not at LEAST good enough to deserve the measly 12.00 pp pd?

Ive only been on 3 RCI cruises. I cannot say that. I suppose maybe my time is coming.

There are many situations in which tipping is customary or expected for services rendered. I understand these situations and have an expectation of tipping when I select to use those services.

I have always had good service on RCI from people in positions which depended on tip and have often tipped additionally in cash. But I do so because I am happy with the service, not because I am forced to.

It's like going to a restaurant. I go in expecting to leave a tip, but how much that tip is is usually within rough guidelines (I've got a good sense for a low and a high end) and it is up to the service I receive to determine if it is a high tip or low tip, I do not arbitrarily give 20% of my bill to every server in every situation. Some earn more, some earn less. The tip for lousy service may be 10%. For phenomenal service it may be 40%. I'm still the one deciding though (within the framework of understanding a tip is customary and expected). My decisions have always been to add more on a cruise. But I would have no qualms about dealing with lousy service either. Luckily I have not had to do so. Any issues I have had on a cruise stem from management, not from the person providing me service directly and as such I deal with management and don't punish the service level person.

I am not antagonistic. I also object strongly to being called a troll. I haven't called people trolls just referred to behaviour as 'troll-ish'. I will accept your bully like behaviour though Aquahound.

Gotcha. It's strongly objective to call someone a troll, but it's perfectly ok to call people "troll-ish," and "ignorant" as you did here...

Quite a troll-ish nasty thing to do, to just throw an very old post in the mix"

I'm assuming you also want to group with setsail with the troll-ish ignorant behaviour

Other comments that don't sit neatly within some CC people's psychy are usually deemed antagonistic, inciteful etc. etc. this is simply not fair. The 'frowners' always seem to be the multi thousand posting profiles. Almost like they think it is their CC and therefore not a place for free speech.

Free Speech does not apply to internet forums. And like another poster said, my multi-thousand" profile is due to years of posting within the guidelines and not creating alias screen names on CC.

If you think a poll like this is antagonistic just do the decent and/or simple thing . . . Keep away . . . And post on a thread that meets your RCCL & cruising rose tinted glasses.

Again, calling someone a troll is sooooo bad, but it's ok to talk this way?

What is quite funny is I've met 3 people from on here over the past 2 years, all of who have flamed me quite a lot. In real life they really liked me and I got on well with them. Little did they know I was this 'not nice person' 'antagonistic' and 'troll like poster' from CC (or so people like you say!!)

That's odd. :confused: You've met people from CC who have flamed you over the past 2 years, yet you've only been a member 1 year. Hmmm.

That's odd. :confused: You've met people from CC who have flamed you over the past 2 years, yet you've only been a member 1 year. Hmmm.

Yes, this is my 2nd user name. On my first one from 3 years ago my housemate used it to post unhelpful comments (as a result of relationship issues between us) and in agreement with the CC moderators it was closed down so he couldn't use it (which also meant I couldn't) and I have had the new user of delirious9876 for a while now.

All above board and agreed by moderators. However I'm probably breaking CC rules by posting this as we're not supposed to talk about moderator actions/decisions. Felt I had no option to do so though, due to your inferences.

Edited by delirious9876

Yes, this is my 2nd user name. On my first one from 3 years ago my housemate used it to post unhelpful comments (as a result of relationship issues between us) and in agreement with the CC moderators it was closed down so he couldn't use it (which also meant I couldn't) and I have had the new user of delirious9876 for a while now.

All above board and agreed by moderators. However I'm probably breaking CC rules by posting this as we're not supposed to talk about moderator actions/decisions. Felt I had no option to do so though, due to your inferences.

So, with 2,214 posts on that account and over 850 posts on this account, you are also a "multi thousand post frowner" too.

Don't you wonder why everyone flames you? It's the internet so I try not to get all worked up, but sometimes it's not everybody else that's wrong.

The explanation is likely that either they don't have kids or they're cheap and looking for any out to avoid grats. Anybody with teen kids know they are at least as high maintenance as an adult, sometimes much higher maintenance.

Don't you wonder why everyone flames you? It's the internet so I try not to get all worked up, but sometimes it's not everybody else that's wrong.

But sometimes it is.

Here's a radical idea, why doesn't everyone just discuss the topic at hand and stop picking OP for voicing an opinion. Just stick to the topic and if you don't like the topic either don't participate or drop your two cents in and leave.

Some of you people are just downright awful to others. (Not you Krisko).

OK, then, topic at hand.

What strikes me about this poll: Though there are three categories for variations on "no tips for kids, and though they are the first three options on the poll, very few people have voted for any of the three. Currently with 200 votes, only 14 people (7%) have selected any of those no tip options.

But sometimes it is.

Here's a radical idea, why doesn't everyone just discuss the topic at hand and stop picking OP for voicing an opinion. Just stick to the topic and if you don't like the topic either don't participate or drop your two cents in and leave.

Some of you people are just downright awful to others. (Not you Krisko).

Thank you.

Wait, you can't have it both way. You talk about free speech then tell someone there is no need to post. As someone else pointed out, free speech and CC have nothing to do with each other. I suggest you look up free speech to see what it actually means.

As long as it's within CC guidelines, anyone is free to respond to any other poster.

Wait, you can't have it both way. You talk about free speech then tell someone there is no need to post. As someone else pointed out, free speech and CC have nothing to do with each other. I suggest you look up free speech to see what it actually means.

As long as it's within CC guidelines, anyone is free to respond to any other poster.

I said "no need" not 'don't' - a world of difference in those two things I think. The first one "no need" still says 'OK post if you want to' but there is "no need to" i.e. It's my thread and I probably won't be interested in reading it (which is also my right).

It shocks me how people have to become really personal and pick someone up on every little thing just because they don't like that persons thread or that persons own humble opinions !!!

OK, still trying to go back to topic at hand. anither 8 have voted to 208 at last glance. Most went for every body tip.

Another thought about the data so far: If on adds those favoring full tips and those who think only <5 should have reduced/eliminated tips, only 16 of 208 (8%) people though tips for children >5 should be reduced or eliminated.

Since the OP did not include an infant category, one might wonder if some who voted for consideration of reductions for little kids might have been thinking of infants who are not yet consuming table food.

We disagree on many things here on CC, but I think the data on that poll are pretty strongly in favor of fully tipping for most or all children.

OK, still trying to go back to topic at hand. anither 8 have voted to 208 at last glance. Most went for every body tip.

Another thought about the data so far: If on adds those favoring full tips and those who think only <5 should have reduced/eliminated tips, only 16 of 208 (8%) people though tips for children >5 should be reduced or eliminated.

Since the OP did not include an infant category, one might wonder if some who voted for consideration of reductions for little kids might have been thinking of infants who are not yet consuming table food.

We disagree on many things here on CC, but I think the data on that poll are pretty strongly in favor of fully tipping for most or all children.

I agree that is the consensus and I'm pleased people have voted. Thank you to all those who have participated.

I said "no need" not 'don't' - a world of difference in those two things I think. The first one "no need" still says 'OK post if you want to' but there is "no need to" i.e. It's my thread and I probably won't be interested in reading it (which is also my right).

It shocks me how people have to become really personal and pick someone up on every little thing just because they don't like that persons thread or that persons own humble opinions !!!

Nope, not being personal, just pointing out an inconsistency. BTW, I happen to like the thread, even though, as others have said, the poll is flawed.

Here's another little thing but, no one owns a thread.;):)