Have the new Chocolate Desserts been rolled out now ?

scotslizzy

We had 2 that I remember in December. The first one (Hazelnut) was very good. The second (pistachio bombe) not so.

What I noticed is that they were served the same night as the Head Waiters making the Bananas Foster and the Cherries Jubilee .

These dining room preparations are the only things left from the "old days" when there was something made tableside every night and we REALLY like them.

I said something to our Head Waiter about noticing the "coincidence" and fearing that this was the end of the dining room prep and he just smiled at me and didn't answer. That leads me to believe I'm correct.

That loss of the little bit of elegance makes me sad.

I had the hazelnut one two weeks ago on the Caribbean on a 3-day cruise. We did not have a formal night since it was a short cruise. I'm glad they still had one of the new desserts for us to try. We did that cruise back-to-back with a 4-day one. I saw the new Norman Love chocolate dessert on the Crown Grill menu on our second cruise but did not order it.

On our recent cruise to Hawaii on the Grand, I believe we had 5 different desserts and they were not just served on formal nights. I think two or three of them were but the others were on regular nights and a couple were served more than once. I enjoyed them all.

I'm sorry I missed the chocolate pops at the Welcome Party but my husband and I avoid those mob scenes like the plague.

On our recent cruise to Hawaii on the Grand, I believe we had 5 different desserts and they were not just served on formal nights. I think two or three of them were but the others were on regular nights and a couple were served more than once. I enjoyed them all.

I'm sorry I missed the chocolate pops at the Welcome Party but my husband and I avoid those mob scenes like the plague.

We haven't gone in years for that very reason but we were near the Piazza and I had heard about the pops so braved it for a few minutes.

REALLY worth it!!!!

(And I'm not a chocolate lover)

On the Crown's recent three-night sailing the 50th Anniversary Dinner menu was served on a smart casual night and included the raspberry-chocolate mousse with creme brûlée and shortbread cookie. It was honestly one of the best desserts I've had on a Princess ship in the last ten years.

Sabatini's also featured the chocolate tiramisu with espresso gelato from the Chocolate Journeys program. Had I even a smidgen of space left, I would have had another. It was superb.

First night did not feature one, but the Black Forest Cake was excellent and loaded with Kirsch. Not sure about the last night in the MDR.

Don't know how you missed it but next time tell your Head Waiter (for your part of the dining room, not your individual server) that you're looking forward to them and you'll be sure to be served the night he makes it.

It's never on the menu and if the preparation table isn't near your table you wouldn't know.

Forgot to add that the chocolate pops at the Captain's Welcome Party are to die for! :D

The servers get mobbed when they come out with them but make sure you get a couple!!!! :D

Is it for returning guests or is it on the first formal night for everyone? First time on Princess:)

Is it for returning guests or is it on the first formal night for everyone? First time on Princess:)

It's for everyone.

It might be the first formal night, I'm not sure.

But it's the night of the Champagne Waterfall in the central Piazza where the Captain "welcomes" everyone.

Have been on 4 cruises since the end of Oct. ranging from 5- 15 days and we have had 6 or 8 Norman Love Chocolate Journey Desserts and there was only one I didn't care for.

Yes, they are very, very rich and occasionally I've not finished one.

IMO they are a big step above the other desserts offered. The 15 day cruise offered them multiple times and the 5 day cruise only on formal nights.

The Crown Grill has one they only offer and it was prepared slightly differently on each of the ships.

Sabatinies on the Star had a chocolate tiramisu that was very, very good.

We have not seen the Head Waiters making the Bananas Foster and the Cherries Jubilee for over a year.

Are they available each night or just on formal nights?

Thanks

Scotslizzy

We had 1 offered each of the 2 formal nights in the dining room on The Crown and I did not care for either of them.(I love chocolate) Can't put my finger on why I did not like them, other then I just didn't. Yes, they looked pretty.(Cinnamon Profiterole...... and the other was Chocolate Tart with vanilla.....)

My favorite Princess dessert is the flourless chocolate cake offered in the dining room on the 1st night of the cruise. Hands down the best.(IMHO)

The chocolate pops that were handed out in The Piazza area on the 1st formal night were very good-2 different kinds. I enjoyed those.

I can't comment on what dessert was served in Crown grill ,buffet, or Sabatini's,since I did not visit those. Maybe they also had a chocolate journeys selection??

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson

I had 3 of them on The Royal in December. The chocolate cake pops, the pistachio dome and the milk chocolate peanut butter bar. They were all delicious but this one was by far the best! I'm sorry the pic is so large working on that!

10934515_10206282013916095_1978895189_n.jpg?oh=9457c0c5b2d7811da40b9ef409a993d4&oe=54B945A8&__gda__=1421369529_ddcf93483485f119e7bad8a9502c828c