Live from Quantum Jan 11th and Loving it!!!!

Has anyone onboard been able to confirm that Devinly Decadent is in fact now no charge for dinner?

Not many people were eating there on the Inaugural Cruise. We ate dinner there once and the food was good but there weren't many people there. When we arrived for dinner there were only 2 other tables with people. By the time we left there were 8 table in use. We also had breakfast there one morning and there were only a few other people.

I don't think it's too popular. It's sort of out of the main stream being in the Solarium so that doesn't help.

Sorry, it's been two days since I posted but I have a good reason.

Hubby started getting a respiratory illness that started around Saint Maarten. By the next day in Martinque, it grabbed hold of him where it put him in bed after breakfast the entire day, woke up the next day in Barbados saying he felt awful and he wasn't going anywhere so I got him something to eat and some sprite and he spent that day sleeping. Yesterday at St. Kitts we both realized he had something that NyQuil and mucinex was not going to repair so we went to the medical center taking the stairs from the 13th floor down to 2nd with mouth covered as to not to infect others. He had a hard time breathing so it took us awhile.

Medical center was not what I was expecting at all. That is like a mini hospital with surgery room, treatment room, intensive care and lots of patient rooms complete with a private bathroom and TV. They said it was going to cost $120 and if we wanted to do it.... My gosh you can't even go to a regular doctor in the states for that price....

Our doctor is Helen, who is super smart and super caring and goes well beyond the call of duty. Wished we could take her to our home town!

So hubby started with a respiratory problem which developed into something bronchial which she started him on breathing treatments with meds and antibiotics. We went there again yesterday afternoon and again last night even though it was closed, she met us there. She just wanted to make sure hubby could breathe easy and sleep easy. We went there again this morning for another treatment and scheduled to go again in a couple hours.

Hubby feels a lot better than those days in bed and it's unfortunate he missed those ports but we are so thankful for the caring services Royal has provided us and yes I do have a medical center to compare with which would be the NCL Pearl which I used myself and so thankful we are on Royal and not that one.

I may be only Platinum on Royal but Royal is working hard to earn my business.

I booked two cruises on the Anthem same route.

Have tried Devinly Decadence for the last two nights and it is delicious and I cannot believe my entree was 500 or less calories. I had chicken enchiladas and it came with a small salad. For dessert I had the goey chocolate chocolate brownie that was 150 or less calories.

Went on North Star a couple hours ago and it is first come first served and holds 14 at a time. It's air conditioned and finally a ride for us older folks can tolerate. Views were unbelievable!!! They do have dedicated elevator for anyone that cannot tolerate stairs.

Time for another drink and I will update you again. The activities today are all sorts of trivia, 2 Dreamworks 3D movies in the Royal theater, different characters from Dreamworks showing up in the Royal Esplanade area, bingo, robots shows, charades game show, 60 seconds or less game show, circus show, dance classes, and Australian Kids Dance Show in the Royal Theater to name a few.

Later and still loving it:)

Sorry, it's been two days since I posted but I have a good reason.

Hubby started getting a respiratory illness that started around Saint Maarten. By the next day in Martinque, it grabbed hold of him where it put him in bed after breakfast the entire day, woke up the next day in Barbados saying he felt awful and he wasn't going anywhere so I got him something to eat and some sprite and he spent that day sleeping. Yesterday at St. Kitts we both realized he had something that NyQuil and mucinex was not going to repair so we went to the medical center taking the stairs from the 13th floor down to 2nd with mouth covered as to not to infect others. He had a hard time breathing so it took us awhile.

Medical center was not what I was expecting at all. That is like a mini hospital with surgery room, treatment room, intensive care and lots of patient rooms complete with a private bathroom and TV. They said it was going to cost $120 and if we wanted to do it.... My gosh you can't even go to a regular doctor in the states for that price....

Our doctor is Helen, who is super smart and super caring and goes well beyond the call of duty. Wished we could take her to our home town!

So hubby started with a respiratory problem which developed into something bronchial which she started him on breathing treatments with meds and antibiotics. We went there again yesterday afternoon and again last night even though it was closed, she met us there. She just wanted to make sure hubby could breathe easy and sleep easy. We went there again this morning for another treatment and scheduled to go again in a couple hours.

Hubby feels a lot better than those days in bed and it's unfortunate he missed those ports but we are so thankful for the caring services Royal has provided us and yes I do have a medical center to compare with which would be the NCL Pearl which I used myself and so thankful we are on Royal and not that one.

I may be only Platinum on Royal but Royal is working hard to earn my business.

I booked two cruises on the Anthem same route.

Have tried Devinly Decadence for the last two nights and it is delicious and I cannot believe my entree was 500 or less calories. I had chicken enchiladas and it came with a small salad. For dessert I had the goey chocolate chocolate brownie that was 150 or less calories.

Went on North Star a couple hours ago and it is first come first served and holds 14 at a time. It's air conditioned and finally a ride for us older folks can tolerate. Views were unbelievable!!! They do have dedicated elevator for anyone that cannot tolerate stairs.

Time for another drink and I will update you again. The activities today are all sorts of trivia, 2 Dreamworks 3D movies in the Royal theater, different characters from Dreamworks showing up in the Royal Esplanade area, bingo, robots shows, charades game show, 60 seconds or less game show, circus show, dance classes, and Australian Kids Dance Show in the Royal Theater to name a few.

Later and still loving it:)

Happy to hear your hubby is feeling better and got great medical care.

Also pleased to hear about the activites. Sounds like a lot more than we had on the 11/23 and 12/1 cruises.

I am also on this cruise and I am loving it...dinners are going extremely well no wait time at all...I love royal IQ...it is awesome...this ship is beautiful and I can honestly say I have not experienced anything negative about it...Do I like a main dining room with set times? Yes.. Do I like MTD in main dining room? Yes.....Do I like Dynamic dining? Yes...

Glad he is getting better!! Were you charged for each follow up visit, or did the initial cost of $120 cover all visits?

I haven't received the final bill yet so not sure what the follow up charges are but the service has been excellent and wished we had gone sooner. With the initial visit being only $120 I am sure any follow up charges will be just as reasonable.

I haven't received the final bill yet so not sure what the follow up charges are but the service has been excellent and wished we had gone sooner. With the initial visit being only $120 I am sure any follow up charges will be just as reasonable.

For you NCIS fans out there, rule 39 "There are no such things as coincidences". There were a number of people who developed severe respiratory illnesses on our cruise which sailed 12/12. I had friends on the subsequent cruise and he developed a respiratory illness as well. Does this just reflect the general occurrence of respiratory illnesses in the world or is there something else involved? I would hope that RCI is taking note of the illnesses and trying to figure out what is going on. FWIW - the onboard medical staff are "contractors". RCI lost a lawsuit in which they tried to claim that they had no culpability in the death of a passenger who received improper care from the onboard team. Their position was that since the medical staff was not directly employed by RCI, they were not responsible for the treatment rendered.

Edited by Trainman52

For you NCIS fans out there, rule 39 "There are no such things as coincidences". There were a number of people who developed severe respiratory illnesses on our cruise which sailed 12/12. I had friends on the subsequent cruise and he developed a respiratory illness as well. Does this just reflect the general occurrence of respiratory illnesses in the world or is there something else involved? I would hope that RCI is taking note of the illnesses and trying to figure out what is going on. FWIW - the onboard medical staff are "contractors". RCI lost a lawsuit in which they tried to claim that they had no culpability in the death of a passenger who received improper care from the onboard team. Their position was that since the medical staff was not directly employed by RCI, they were not responsible for the treatment rendered.

"Respiratory illnesses"...OMG, what else can we blame on the Quantum! :eek: We were on two QN cruises and no one we knew developed respitory illness...does that invalidate your insinuation that the Quantum is at the root of the problem?:rolleyes: It it is winter and "stuff" is being passed around whether we want it or not.:D:)

There was quite a lot of guests on the QN 11/2 Maiden Voyage who developed respiratory problems and I know of guests who were on the 12/1 who also developed the same thing and actually some are still not fully recovered.

I just wanted to make a quick point that if passengers would cover their sneezes and coughs with their arm or hand preferably arm this illness would not spread. He got caught in an area where a passenger let out a big sneeze with no covering and his immune system isn't up to par so we in no way believe this is Royals problem. It is just like when you are shopping at home. We knew when that happened he was probably going to develop something since she showed signs of other problems as well. Now back to eating my breakfast.

Ha, that's funny. Our whole family (both sides and at least 12 people)developed this same thing, some of them still have hacky coughs after 2 months!:eek: My husband was treated for Accute Bronchitis, mine just Bronchitis no antibiotics. LOts of friends and acquaintances also had it.

We were nowhere near a ship....

"Respiratory illnesses"...OMG, what else can we blame on the Quantum! :eek: We were on two QN cruises and no one we knew developed respitory illness...does that invalidate your insinuation that the Quantum is at the root of the problem?:rolleyes: It it is winter and "stuff" is being passed around whether we want it or not.:D:)

Well said!, put a few thousand people together anywhere and if somebody is ill there is a high probability that others will catch it. If I catch a cold at work does that mean I can blame my employer??

I guess a lot of people are just anti Quantum because it's trying to appeal to a whole new demographic! If you don't like change don't sail on this ship - as RCI said 'this changes everything'

Well said!, put a few thousand people together anywhere and if somebody is ill there is a high probability that others will catch it. If I catch a cold at work does that mean I can blame my employer??

I guess a lot of people are just anti Quantum because it's trying to appeal to a whole new demographic! If you don't like change don't sail on this ship - as RCI said 'this changes everything'

I'm not anti-Quantum at all. In 22 cruises I have never heard of so many problems involving breathing issues.

One of the things that I did notice is that unlike other ships that we have been on, there was absolutely NO encouragement to use the Purell at the entrances to the dining rooms or buffets. Yes, with so many people, things do happen. That is why there should be added encouragement to follow proper hygiene beyond showing a video.

Have any of you run across Fred and Shirley from Arizona? I haven't heard from them since Labadee. Probably too busy on the bumper cars. :D

BTW - I'm a shareholder in RCI so it is in my best interest that Dynamic Dining et all succeeds.

I'm sure it will be a success, there are a lot of people put off by the more traditional way of cruising so plenty of potential custom. Maybe the change was too much, too soon for a lot of people - a bit like windows 8!!

Ha, that's funny. Our whole family (both sides and at least 12 people)developed this same thing, some of them still have hacky coughs after 2 months!:eek: My husband was treated for Accute Bronchitis, mine just Bronchitis no antibiotics. LOts of friends and acquaintances also had it.

We were nowhere near a ship....

EXACTLY!!! Yep...same here. This has been a terrible year for respiratory issues....almost everyone I know has had a lagging cough. I had it for over 2 weeks....daughter has had for over a month with over half a dozen doctor visits and still have no answers.

Edited by bajathree

I'm sure it will be a success, there are a lot of people put off by the more traditional way of cruising so plenty of potential custom. Maybe the change was too much, too soon for a lot of people - a bit like windows 8!!

We had been on cruises that offered a hybrid, if you will, dining experience. A regular dining room but a few extra cost specialty restaurants. We enjoyed Qsine on the Celebrity Silhouette as well as one other whose name now escapes me. The charge was nominal and well worth the experience. It was nice to know, however, that the dining room was always there. Kind of like windows 8.1 that I've had to make look like Windows 7 for my wife.

We had been on cruises that offered a hybrid, if you will, dining experience. A regular dining room but a few extra cost specialty restaurants. We enjoyed Qsine on the Celebrity Silhouette as well as one other whose name now escapes me. The charge was nominal and well worth the experience. It was nice to know, however, that the dining room was always there. Kind of like windows 8.1 that I've had to make look like Windows 7 for my wife.

Been there with windows:)

I guess it comes down to how people like to travel, we don't normally stay in one place for long and are always doing something different, street food one day, fine dining the next! Hotel one night, tree house the next.

We have enjoyed a couple of cruises in the past but it tends to be more about the destination than the actual ship!

Looking at the posts on here it does seem that people who cruise regularly have certain expectations and like the more formal aspect which I do get!

Maybe they could have kept one restaurant for people who prefer fixed dining!

For me, just point me to the bar!!

I'm not anti-Quantum at all. In 22 cruises I have never heard of so many problems involving breathing issues.

One of the things that I did notice is that unlike other ships that we have been on, there was absolutely NO encouragement to use the Purell at the entrances to the dining rooms or buffets. Yes, with so many people, things do happen. That is why there should be added encouragement to follow proper hygiene beyond showing a video.

Have any of you run across Fred and Shirley from Arizona? I haven't heard from them since Labadee. Probably too busy on the bumper cars. :D

12/1 cruise... gal at the entrance to Windjammer imploring cruisers to enter into the washing hands room with the 6 sinks and everyone walked by. I stood there and watched. I am being kind by telling you 1 out of 10 cruisers went to the sinks to wash their hands (probably more like 1/20). Horrible.

Blame Quantim for everything. Blame RCL for everything. Ridiculous... wash your freakin' hands!

To put it in perspective, 1/10 out of total 4000 people on board means that 3600 people entering into Windjammer, who just did a #2 in the bathroom and touching your food before you get there (just that you didn't see them pick up a spilled potato and put it back in the tray), are passing stuff around to the remainder 400 who actually wash their hands.

Disgusting right? Let's all look in the mirror really REALLY hard

12/1 cruise... gal at the entrance to Windjammer imploring cruisers to enter into the washing hands room with the 6 sinks and everyone walked by. I stood there and watched. I am being kind by telling you 1 out of 10 cruisers went to the sinks to wash their hands (probably more like 1/20). Horrible.

Blame Quantum for everything. Blame RCL for everything. Ridiculous... wash your freakin' hands!

To put it in perspective, 1/10 out of total 4000 people on board means that 3600 people entering into Windjammer, who just did a #2 in the bathroom and touching your food before you get there (just that you didn't see them pick up a spilled potato and put it back in the tray), are passing stufaround to the remainder 400 who actually wash their hands.

Agree 100%. To add to what you've said.....I noticed a lack of Hand Sanitizer machines around the ship, especially outside other restaurants. When I asked about this I was told they were expecting a delivery of more when the ship docked on Dec 12.

Blame Quantim for everything. Blame RCL for everything. Ridiculous... wash your freakin' hands!

To put it in perspective, 1/10 out of total 4000 people on board means that 3600 people entering into Windjammer, who just did a #2 in the bathroom and touching your food before you get there (just that you didn't see them pick up a spilled potato and put it back in the tray), are passing stuff around to the remainder 400 who actually wash their hands.

That's one of the reasons I never eat at buffets! - I work as a wedding DJ so I see some pretty disgusting habits when it comes to the food. Just like the people who think nobody has spotted them in the bathroom so they don't wash their hands.

How would the west cope if they had a situation like there is in Africa at the moment? Watch the news, it shows how good hygiene is necessary to prevent the spread of illness!

It doesn't take much effort to wash your hands or use sanitizer. You all know who you are - be ashamed!!!

And I'm not preaching, I have plenty of bad habits but this is a bit of a no-brainer!