A. I

blackpool belle

What's with a lot of cruise lines going AI all of a sudden? I don't drink so now I am having to pay more for my cruises and for a "perk" I dont want. Can you still opt out of AI ?

Are you are talking about an "all-inclusive" optional add-on? That's different the entire cruise line being "all inclusive". What lines are you talking about that you think have gone all-inclusive all of a sudden?

Some lines have an optional package that allows you include various extras (food, drink, etc), but you still have to sign/swipe to bill everything to your cabin, whereas other lines (luxury lines) have those extras already included, so you don't need to sign/swipe for every drink or food extra you may use.

What cruise line ??

I have not seen many going A.I some offer more inclusive packages

RCI, NCL, Celebrity I can say of straight away. No this is not an add on but already included in the price and boy have the prices gone up. Perhaps this is only happening in Europe?

That would be interesting if I enquired how much they were prepared to reduce the price of the cruise by if I opted out being a T.T

RCI, NCL, Celebrity I can say of straight away. No this is not an add on but already included in the price and boy have the prices gone up. Perhaps this is only happening in Europe?

That would be interesting if I enquired how much they were prepared to reduce the price of the cruise by if I opted out being a T.T

It may be just for the UK passengers I do not think it is A.I. for North American market

I would see what the US prices are compared to yours

I wonder if it's a European or British thing?

However, if I go to NCL's UK page (ncl.co.uk), and look up a med cruise, it says

"Fares include Government Taxes, Port Expenses & Fees and, except where indicated, are per person and based on a double occupancy of a stateroom unless solo traveler (1 passenger is selected). Overall average passenger price may be lower if 3rd to 8th passengers are travelling in the stateroom.

Fares exclude travel insurance, drinks, hotel meals, shore excursions, UK regional flights, personal expenses, cover charge on selected services, discretionary daily service charges payable on board or in advance, auto gratuity charges payable on board & any other item not expressly included in the fare."

So, not all inclusive.

I wonder if it is a perk on some cruises that are not selling well??

I know Oceania added the drink package to some cruises in the UK market as an incentive but the prices did not increase for the cruise

The cruises they are pushing here in the Uk are to the Med or the Canaries and include drinks and tips. So as in my original question...what happens if you dont want drinks??? We are used to most things here in rip off Britain. A prime example is not getting your deposit refunded when cancelling a cruise like you can across the Pond.

The cruises they are pushing here in the Uk are to the Med or the Canaries and include drinks and tips. So as in my original question...what happens if you dont want drinks??? We are used to most things here in rip off Britain. A prime example is not getting your deposit refunded when cancelling a cruise like you can across the Pond.

Hope you find the answer

Have you called the cruise line to ask if you can opt out?

Is it for cruises in the next month or further out ??

This might be more an issue in the UK and EU then in the USA/Canada. While some of the lines, especially Celebrity, now market promotions (at least 4 times a year) that include drink packages, there are often alternative options (such as an On Board Credit). It is also possible to book man of these cruises at far lower prices when there is no promotion...

But we do think you have a valid point. A Celebrity management person told me (last month) that it does seem that Celebrity is moving towards an All-Inclusive business model without actually using the term. The reason is quite simple. The cruise line has calculated that folks want these packages and the cruise line, by raising their prices more then is necessary to cover the true cost of drinks, is increasing their profit margin with the promotions. The mass market cruise lines now depend on Onboard Revenue to generate profits and including the cost of drinks in the pricing is just a backdoor way to maximize onboard revenue.

Hank

The title of your thread had me intrigued . . . AI? Artificial Intelligence - ships eliminating all hands on deck, going totally computerized? Artificial Insemination - a new service being offered to couples wishing to have the ultimate souvenir from their cruise?

Ah, All Inclusive - I don't know a lot of cruise lines who are all inclusive; while there are certainly promotions, you don't have to book them. Good luck with your cruise choice!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Sept. we made deposit on HAL New England Canada Fall 2015 cruise. Price included Signature Beverage Package with daily limit 15 beverages at 7 dollars or less in price. Available on new bookings only, on select 2015 and 2016 cruises. Available on Ocean view and above category staterooms.

Sept. we made deposit on HAL New England Canada Fall 2015 cruise. Price included Signature Beverage Package with daily limit 15 beverages at 7 dollars or less in price. Available on new bookings only, on select 2015 and 2016 cruises. Available on Ocean view and above category staterooms.

We would strongly suggest you carefully watch the price of your cruise between now and final payment. Our experience with the HAL Signature Beverage Package was quite interesting. About a year ago (far in advance) we booked a 38 day Oosterdam Transpacific/Australia/NZ cruise. Our original booking price was a little over $21,000 and got us the "free" Signature Beverage Package. By the time of our final payment, we had twice reduced the price of our cruise to where it was about $12,000. We did have to give up that Signature Beverage Package, but it was hard to justify paying over $9000 for that beverage package :). My message is quite simple. HAL has been messing around with that Signature Package for well over a year, but they often seem to really jack-up the price of a cruise when they have that promotion.

Hank

The title of your thread had me intrigued . . . AI? Artificial Intelligence - ships eliminating all hands on deck, going totally computerized? Artificial Insemination - a new service being offered to couples wishing to have the ultimate souvenir from their cruise?

Ah, All Inclusive - I don't know a lot of cruise lines who are all inclusive; while there are certainly promotions, you don't have to book them. Good luck with your cruise choice!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Funny :D:D:D

We would strongly suggest you carefully watch the price of your cruise between now and final payment. Our experience with the HAL Signature Beverage Package was quite interesting. About a year ago (far in advance) we booked a 38 day Oosterdam Transpacific/Australia/NZ cruise. Our original booking price was a little over $21,000 and got us the "free" Signature Beverage Package. By the time of our final payment, we had twice reduced the price of our cruise to where it was about $12,000. We did have to give up that Signature Beverage Package, but it was hard to justify paying over $9000 for that beverage package :). My message is quite simple. HAL has been messing around with that Signature Package for well over a year, but they often seem to really jack-up the price of a cruise when they have that promotion.

Hank

Your comments make very interesting reading.

Knowing the Brits ( especially the younger ones) it will be a licence to drink the ship dry :eek: Instead of more profits they could well end up in a loss ;)

Edited by blackpool belle

Your comments make very interesting reading.

Knowing the Brits ( especially the younger ones) it will be a licence to drink the ship dry :eek: Instead of more profits they could well end up in a loss ;)

Sorry...wrong quote at the top. I was referring to your post #11

Edited by blackpool belle