Dynamic Dining changed to MTD

ldl05

Yep! To me DD would have been an entirely different dining experience, where as MTD is just an inferior traditional dining experience! Yes, I know that seems strange, but that is us and that is how we feel! Just my opinion, which I believe I am entitled to have. LOL! Personally I am very happy that DD has been postponed, and hope that they do not implement it for our Allure cruise this fall.

I agree with everything you mentioned when comparing MTD to DD.

I was willing to try DD, but I'm not willing to settle for MTD.

Well if they get if fixed, Oasis will eventually get DD. I doubt they'll "reverse" any changes before "later in the year". I don't think they'd go through all this work of changing reservations back when there is a chance DD might happen on those cruises.

I think people from Sept 2015 on should possibly worry about this, but not those earlier in the year.

Two points here.

First, we are talking about the RCI IT Department are we not? So, who knows why they might be doing something? Anyone who says they understand what the RCI IT Department is doing or why is (your choice of words).

Second, there is a lot of wishful thinking on these threads. There are many who dislike DD regardless of how effective it is or might be. I think there is a tendency for people to see what they want to see. If they want DD to die, then all events are interpreted to fit that scenario. If you want DD to die or at least not affect a cruise in the near future (what ever that is as opposed to later this year), they there is cause for "cautious optimism" but I wouldn't be ordering the champagne yet.

Everyone is assuming that Dynamic Dining is gone for good. If Royal gets DD fixed, all these changes will be reversed won't they?

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are for moving the new diamond lounge to the old concierge lounge and therefore eliminating Wonderland being added to the Oasis? The new Diamond Lounge space is back to being part of the dining room. Is this a sign that perhaps DD will not be coming to existing ships, such as Oasis or Allure or do you think it's a temporary move? Sounds like a lot of extra work if it's only for a few months.

Above based on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2147126&highlight=oasis+dl

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are for moving the new diamond lounge to the old concierge lounge and therefore eliminating Wonderland being added to the Oasis? The new Diamond Lounge space is back to being part of the dining room. Is this a sign that perhaps DD will not be coming to existing ships, such as Oasis or Allure or do you think it's a temporary move? Sounds like a lot of extra work if it's only for a few months.

:confused:I'm confused...just where is the DL now on the Oasis? We wll be on her in May and I would like to be able to find it!:eek:

From the post you linked to: "The conversation seems to be centered on the old two story CL, that was supposed to house a new restaurant. From what I gather, Wonderland restaurant plans have been scrapped, the new DL has been closed and the old CL has been minimally re-opened (with poor furniture) and with the usual evening cocktails." Post #82.

Doesn't look like they did "a lot of extra work" to "minimally re-open (with poor furniture". And, it looks like something that could be quickly undone when DD is implemented.

:confused:I'm confused...just where is the DL now on the Oasis? We wll be on her in May and I would like to be able to find it!:eek:

The good news, is wherever it is, ships staff will tell you, so it shouldn't be that hard to find (though, it won't be in the original deck 6 location, as that has already been repurposed).

The good or bad news (depending on your viewpoint), is that it will likely be in one of deck 4 starboard midship, or deck 11 between the center elevators. So it would be be worthwhile to look in those places before asking staff.

Okay do you want to know where it is now, or where it will be in May?:D

Before October it was a Deck 6 starboard above the forward part of the Royal Promenade. In October it was moved to Deck 4 starboard in what had been a small dining room off the MDR (apparently previously referred to on Deck Plans as private dining, but I had had an assigned table in that area, not as part of a group). Around the beginning of this month it was moved to what had been the Concierge Lounge on Deck 11 (and 12) Central looking over the Boardwalk (and it seems that Deck 4 starboard was returned to the MDR). Each of us can say where it will be in May, but the reality is nobody knows.

Thom

Edited by TravelerThom

According to the Cruise Critic home page, Dynamic Dining has been postponed indefinitely on Oasis and RCCL wouldn't give a time frame for implementation.

Just as well, I prefer to eat in the Windjammer - so much variety without the formality. 34 days till we board.

From the post you linked to: "The conversation seems to be centered on the old two story CL, that was supposed to house a new restaurant. From what I gather, Wonderland restaurant plans have been scrapped, the new DL has been closed and the old CL has been minimally re-opened (with poor furniture) and with the usual evening cocktails." Post #82.

Doesn't look like they did "a lot of extra work" to "minimally re-open (with poor furniture". And, it looks like something that could be quickly undone when DD is implemented.

Indeed. Adding to these comments and replying to other doomsayers, reading the thread it does seem that there has been a current re-adjustment of the lounges, but it is pure speculation if it is to remain that way, or if it is temporary to resolve some short-term need and will be moved back once that need has been resolved.

Officially RCI has only stated that DD rollout has been deferred, so the implication is that they are still working out how to implement it on Oasis and Allure (and anyone believing that onboard staff - no matter who that staff member is - is an official source doesn't understand how "official" communication works).

They actually did do a lot of work to repurpose part of the MDR on deck 4 as a DL. From the posts on that thread, it appears that space has now been turned back into MDR seating. So yes, it seems they did a lot of extra work to remodel that room, but now they are putting the DL elsewhere.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Okay do you want to know where it is now, or where it will be in May?:D

Before October it was a Deck 6 starboard above the forward part of the Royal Promenade. In October it was moved to Deck 4 starboard in what had been a small dining room off the MDR (apparently previously referred to on Deck Plans as private dining, but I had had an assigned table in that area, not as part of a group). Around the beginning of this month it was moved to what had been the Concierge Lounge on Deck 11 (and 12) Central looking over the Boardwalk (and it seems that Deck 4 starboard was returned to the MDR). Each of us can say where it will be in May, but the reality is nobody knows.

Thom

LOL! Thanks. Looks as if I will have to bring my hound dog along to "sniff it out"!

I will be happy if DD is never put in place as I like the options of Early / Late or MTD. We have been using MTD since we can pick a 6:30 or 7pm seating and still have a table with three or four couples everyday at the same time with the same wait staff, same table or by ourselves if we are traveling and want to be at a table for two. Always a good selection for all in the MDR.

Do you have a baby carriage for your hound dog?:confused::eek:

Wait - that was a different thread:p

LOL! No, my 6 year old on roller skates will lead him around as they entertain themselves unsupervised on the ship. He likes to stand on "Sniffer" so he can reach all of the elevator buttons easier.:p:D

They actually did do a lot of work to repurpose part of the MDR on deck 4 as a DL. From the posts on that thread, it appears that space has now been turned back into MDR seating. So yes, it seems they did a lot of extra work to remodel that room, but now they are putting the DL elsewhere.

Two different subjects.

I responded to this post: "I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are for moving the new diamond lounge to the old concierge lounge and therefore eliminating Wonderland being added to the Oasis? The new Diamond Lounge space is back to being part of the dining room. Is this a sign that perhaps DD will not be coming to existing ships, such as Oasis or Allure or do you think it's a temporary move? Sounds like a lot of extra work if it's only for a few months."

That poster is obviously saying that RCI had done a lot of work moving the D lounge to Wonderland and that this amount of work was an implication that DD is not going to be implemented on Oasis. That is entirely different than saying that RCI did a lot of work to remodel part of the MDR to accommodate the D lounge in the MDR.

My response was to show that a lot of work had not been done to move the D lounge into the place that will become Wonderland, that, in fact, the work done was 'minimal' and could easily be undone.

Two different subjects.

I responded to this post: "I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are for moving the new diamond lounge to the old concierge lounge and therefore eliminating Wonderland being added to the Oasis? The new Diamond Lounge space is back to being part of the dining room. Is this a sign that perhaps DD will not be coming to existing ships, such as Oasis or Allure or do you think it's a temporary move? Sounds like a lot of extra work if it's only for a few months."

That poster is obviously saying that RCI had done a lot of work moving the D lounge to Wonderland and that this amount of work was an implication that DD is not going to be implemented on Oasis. That is entirely different than saying that RCI did a lot of work to remodel part of the MDR to accommodate the D lounge in the MDR.

My response was to show that a lot of work had not been done to move the D lounge into the place that will become Wonderland, that, in fact, the work done was 'minimal' and could easily be undone.

Sorry for the confusion. :)

Sorry for the confusion. :)

Not a problem. I do not know if, or when, RCI will extend DD to all, or part of, the rest of the fleet. Neither does anyone else. I recognize that DD is an emotional issue for many who would prefer it would be scrapped. I would caution to avoid 'wishful thinking' and only seeing what you want to see. RCI has spent a ton of money and time on DD. I personally believe RCI will fix it rather than scrap it but that just my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if they do not extend DD to Oasis/Allure but neither would I be surprised if they do.

Two different subjects.

If you are referring to me as "that poster", I wasn't really saying anything as I have no idea how much work was done to turn that part of the dining to a DL and then undo it. I've not yet been on the Oasis so I can't visualize what it looked like before or after. I was just wondering for those who have been on Oasis (either before dry dock or after) would have any idea if this was a clue to the future direction or just a temporary fix.

Not a problem. I do not know if, or when, RCI will extend DD to all, or part of, the rest of the fleet. Neither does anyone else. I recognize that DD is an emotional issue for many who would prefer it would be scrapped. I would caution to avoid 'wishful thinking' and only seeing what you want to see. RCI has spent a ton of money and time on DD. I personally believe RCI will fix it rather than scrap it but that just my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if they do not extend DD to Oasis/Allure but neither would I be surprised if they do.

I also wouldn't be surprised either way. I'll see how DD works out first, before I decide whether I like it or not. But honestly, it's not the idea of DD that I don't like, its the loss of traditional dining. And I know there's plenty of people who would take anything over traditional dining.

I'm just hoping that everything on the Oasis is in order by the time I board in May! :D

If you are referring to me as "that poster", I wasn't really saying anything as I have no idea how much work was done to turn that part of the dining to a DL and then undo it. I've not yet been on the Oasis so I can't visualize what it looked like before or after. I was just wondering for those who have been on Oasis (either before dry dock or after) would have any idea if this was a clue to the future direction or just a temporary fix.

I recognize that but you linked to a thread that answered your question, ie, that the changes required to relocate the D lounge to Wonderland were, in fact, minimal and entirely consistent with a temporary fix rather than a clue to future directions.

I haven't given the DD vs MTD debate much thought. I don't care for traditional dining though. I like having the ability to go to dinner when it's convenient for me. I know the DD debate is all over the place - pros and cons. Our cruise is in November of this year. It doesn't matter to me whether it's DD or MTD. I would, however, be surprised if RCI scraps the concept completely. They've redesigned the Dining Rooms into 3 distinct "restaurants". It would seem odd, now, to have traditional dining / MTD in those seemingly separate restaurants. Just a thought. But since I do like the MTD concept, DD is appealing to me. The thought of different menus to choose from in the three dining rooms is appealing, and at a time that works with my own schedule.

As a side note, I just checked my reservation for our upcoming Nov 2015 cruise. It switched from DD to MTD (no waitlists), and our friends' reservation is still linked to ours as it was when we were assigned to DD. We'll see how this plays out.

... I have no idea how much work was done to turn that part of the dining to a DL and then undo it. I've not yet been on the Oasis so I can't visualize what it looked like before or after. I was just wondering for those who have been on Oasis (either before dry dock or after) would have any idea if this was a clue to the future direction or just a temporary fix.
It took me awhile, but I did find some pictures of the Deck 4 Starboard DL at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44504369&postcount=179

15410801170_c10100b87e_z.jpg

This shows the Deck 4 DL looking Aft down the Starboard side. In 2010 our dinner table was about halfway down the room next to a window. The doors (closed) at the far end go into the main part of Deck 4 dining. It looks like basically they removed the dining tables and chairs, and replaced them with living-room style side chairs. I would imagine this wasn't hard to reconvert to a dining area (EXCEPT that the previous dining tables and chairs were probably off-loaded in Rotterdam:rolleyes:). My GUESS is that the driver for all of this was that the removal of the 100 or so dining seats in this room, plus a comparable number placing Izumi in the similar area on the Port side (meaning 400-600 fewer seats in the Dining room if you consider 2 or more table turn overs per evening) was causing significant problems, and they realized an immediate need returning some of this seating to the MDR.

Thom

I recognize that but you linked to a thread that answered your question, ie, that the changes required to relocate the D lounge to Wonderland were, in fact, minimal and entirely consistent with a temporary fix rather than a clue to future directions.

Not necessarily, this could be a work in progress and new furniture added in subsequent cruises. I'm not sure if the OP for the linked thread was on when this change was first started and it wasn't completed when he/she got off the ship.