Chef's Table

macman

To have a shot, we were told that you should call the dining reservation number as soon as you board (on our last cruise, it became available precisely at 1:30 PM). We were later told by the Maître D' that there were 60 requests for the 12 available seats. We've now done it twice (several years apart) and it was worth every penny.

Edited by taxatty

I think it's worth trying. We have done it three times and enjoyed every one. I say keep trying. The cost is now $95 per person with wine.

And $115/pp. on the Royal/Regal...it must be for the Lumiere "ring of lights" and the $25,000 centerpiece. ;)

We enjoyed our three CTs when it was $75/pp. but not since the price increase. We've always called the DINE line immediately upon boarding & never missed out on it. Although others may have different experiences depending on how many passengers request it.

Edited by Astro Flyer

My experience with it was very positive. I was in my cabin around 12-noon and I immediately called the DINE line to put my name "in the pot". For your $95 you get a five course meal including the appropriate wine with each course. You start in the galley with champagne with the appetizers, then end up with an 8.5x11" color photo of your group and a copy of Princess' cook book, Courses, which the head chef and the maitre'd will autograph for you.

One guy had done the CT several times and uses the cookbooks as Christmas presents.:)

Edited by Treven

To repeat what I said in the other current CT thread, I'm unsure whether acceptances are first-come, first served, or random, or what. Both times we asked, we made it. But we were among the very first onboard, BVE once, Elite boarding the second time. Both times we were put on a list and heard back later. And the second time our acceptance was contingent on meeting with the maitre d', ostensibly to remind us not to wear open-toed shoes, but it might have been an audition of sorts. Maybe he wanted to make sure we wouldn't pick our noses at the table, who knows?

I thought my first CT was amazing, the second less so, mostly because I was less enamored of the dishes chosen and because we got an extended wine lecture by the maitre d'. (Though we were served by Alfredo Marzi, the head of cuisine for the entire line, as in "Alfredo's.") Still, if you're even an occasional wine drinker like me, the alcohol alone is worth the price of admission. And, at least in San Francisco, ninety-five bucks for a meal like that is a real bargain. But keep in mind that whenever you ask questions about food and wine, the responses will be a matter of taste.

Edited by shepp

We've put our name on the list 3 times and were chosen twice. Definitely worth trying, for sure.

Both experiences were difference and both enjoyable. It is interesting how each Chef hosts the appy portion of the evening. Our first experience, we stood around just inside the door. The second experience we were at the rear of the kitchen and all around one of the worktables.

I would do it again if given the opportunity.

We have done the CT at least 10 times. That's the first reservation we make after boarding. Never missed getting a reservation. Only time we didn't get it was they didn't have enough people and had to cancel it. We were on a B2B and were first on the list for the next week. That week they had 2 CT's on different nights. I was told they need 8 people at least and a max of 12. But we did have 13 once. It's hard to believe that there weren't 8 people on the ship that weren't interested.

It's hard to believe that there weren't 8 people on the ship that were(n't) interested.

Might have to do with the passenger profile. It's not cheap, and it's fairly obscure. (Honestly, if not for Cruise Critic reviews, I probably never would have been interested.) On our last cruise, there were lots of blue cards and few grizzled vets, few enough Elites for us to slide into the Most Traveled luncheon for the first time. And the majority of us at the CT were repeaters.

I can definitely see a newbie out to take a bargain cruise thinking, "Why should I spend a hundred bucks on dinner when there's all this free food around, anyway?"

Edited by shepp

Our success rate is 75 percent, making the cut three times out of four tries. On one cruise, I did not think we had made it but found our confirmation in our mailbox on the fifth or sixth day. That was on an Island Princess cruise to the Panama Canal.

I wish they'd give us a discount to do the Chef's Table without the cookbook and photo. Those are two things I don't need to receive again. I've already given the extra cookbooks as presents to my brothers and their wives. We don't need more copies.

Our new favorite specialty dining option is the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. We've done that three times--twice to celebrate anniversaries and once for DH's birthday.

Might have to do with the passenger profile. It's not cheap, and it's fairly obscure. (Honestly, if not for Cruise Critic reviews, I probably never would have been interested.) On our last cruise, there were lots of blue cards and few grizzled vets, few enough Elites for us to slide into the Most Traveled luncheon for the first time. And the majority of us at the CT were repeaters.

I can definitely see a newbie out to take a bargain cruise thinking, "Why should I spend a hundred bucks on dinner when there's all this free food around, anyway?"

Lucky you to get a MTP lunch because with nearly a year on Princess ships we thought we'd make the cutoff on a 3-day from LA with so many newbies to Princess...wrong. :p

It's not only newbies who feel that way. ;) After enjoying three CT's at $75 we've decided that it's not worth the extra $190-$230 more than a MDR meal. I think that everyone who can afford the cost should go to at least one CT. However we could enjoy the Winemaker Dinner on the new ships 3 times for the price of one CT. Both have unlimited wine (although more expensive wine at CT) & plenty to eat and we ran out of people to give our cookbooks to as a gift. ;)

We feel like 'geoherb' and enjoy the UBD very much & it's half the price of a CT. Like the WM Dinner, a different experience but wherever we dine it's doubtful if anyone isn't full after dinner.

One of the best things about cruising is having many choices for each of us to decide how to enjoy our cruise. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

We have done Chef's Table a few times but now the menu always seems to be veal and we really don't enjoy it. Sometimes it's hard to find out the menu they don't like telling you but prefer it to come as a surprise.

We have done Chef's Table a few times but now the menu always seems to be veal and we really don't enjoy it. Sometimes it's hard to find out the menu they don't like telling you but prefer it to come as a surprise.
Our last CT main course on the Coral was surf & turf--a giant lobster tail and a large, tender filet mignon, both perfectly cooked and finished tableside. Not very inventive or challenging of the Head Chef (the other courses certainly made up for that) but to everyone's liking and delicious!

It's hard to believe that there weren't 8 people on the ship that weren't interested.

What is easy to believe is that most passengers do not know that the Chef's Table exists and this do not know they can sign up for it.

There is usually just a small notice about it in the Patter and it can be easily overlooked.

It's not only newbies who feel that way. ;) After enjoying three CT's at $75 we've decided that it's not worth the extra $190-$230 more than a MDR meal. I think that everyone who can afford the cost should go to at least one CT. However we could enjoy the Winemaker Dinner on the new ships 3 times for the price of one CT. Both have unlimited wine (although more expensive wine at CT) & plenty to eat and we ran out of people to give our cookbooks to as a gift. ;)

Oh, I'm with you. I definitely think the Winemaker's Dinner is a better deal, but it's only offered on two ships. First time out, we did the CT because we were on our first (legally recognized) anniversary cruise, second time because we'd really enjoyed the first time and my mother in Florida had given us some money to spend onboard.

I do like the sense of occasion, the staff's fawning attention, the wine-enhanced conviviality, and most of the food is swell. (Though it was kind of weird to see the dessert we'd paid extra for at CT #1 now being offered for free in the MDR as part of Chocolate Journeys.) As you said, definitely worth doing at least once or twice. But next month on the Star, we'll be giving the CT a pass.

I have high hopes that we will be able to to this one day. We're now 0-2 for trying and making the chef's table. I'm not sure if we have some black mark against us or not. I'm getting a little tired of the "Unfortunately, you were not selected" letters.

I have high hopes that we will be able to to this one day. We're now 0-2 for trying and making the chef's table. I'm not sure if we have some black mark against us or not. I'm getting a little tired of the "Unfortunately, you were not selected" letters.

Roughly when did you board? When I did the CT, I boarded about noon. As soon as I got to my cabin, I IMMEDIATELY called the DINE line and got included. So, the earlier you can get on the ship the better your chances.

We boarded at noon in the second boarding group. I signed up for the UST first and then heading to the room and left my name and CT request on the DINE line. Both times, we boarded as early as possible and called as quickly as we could. I am thinking that either we are unlucky or maybe we aren't elite enough or maybe the chef looks at the fact I am allergic to nuts and decides that he can't cook without nuts.

We have tried multiple times to reserve a seat at the table to no avail. I'm wondering if it's still worth it? What is the current cost?

My wife and I cruised on the Emerald last week, we had a group of 10 and all 10 were at the Chef's table. We arrived at the terminal early so we can get checked in, as soon as boarding opens my wife and SIL make a bee-line for the phone and call dining to get our names on the list. This time they had to go to the dining room and register.

We were told that Elite have first priority and the list goes from there. Well worth the $95! Good luck.