Review Of Regal Cruise Jan 4-11 (with pics)

Happy2Crews

Just got back from the Regal for our Cruise Jan 4-11. This was our 4th cruise and second time aboard a Princess ship. I had read for months before the cruise the pros and cons of this new ship and will share some of the hits and misses.

We started out with the Bon Voyage Experience. Not too widely publicized. I wouldn't have know about it if it wasn't for others here on Cruise Critic who had written about it. What a wonderful experience for those who have never stepped foot on a cruise ship. Our friend was so taken with the experience she said she was going to book a short cruise for her and her young adult daughters. It was nice getting on the ship about 11:30 with no waiting. Special tags are provided and you are treated like rock stars. Our guest had a wonderful lunch with us in the dining room that included a glass of wine, a 8x10 and 5x7 welcome photos of the three of us. Afterwards we were free to wander the ship until we had to see her off the ship at 3:00. With the much talked about stairs I can honestly say it does take some getting use to them. We hardly ever take the elevators and choose stairs every chance we get, but well into day three we still didn't have the hang of it entirely nor did some of the other passengers. It did seem that there were plenty of elevators and hardly anyone standing around waiting on them.

So many food options and even after seven days we didn't hit all the places. We really enjoyed the Horizon's and Bistro Buffet....talk about choices....WOW. We also ate three time in Alfredos for the pizza. After living in Italy for many years I can't tell you how much we missed the kind of pizzas they served. Wonderful.

p><p>We also ate in the Crown Grill once and did the Winemakers Dinner which was a blast.  We never did make it to the dining rooms for lunch or dinner and truthfully don

We spent alot of time around the pool, always on the hunt for an area that was more on the quiet side. Seems like it was hard to find onboard this ship. We tried the retreat area and it wasn't working for us because of some other passengers who felt they must always be talking....loud. Made our way back to the aft end the first shore day when many went to Princess Cay...it was nice, however the second day we were over ran by smokers as this is their designated area. In my opinion, too much prime real estate is given to the smokers on this ship. Would love to see an entire smoke free ship but doubtful that will ever happen. Yes there was some chair hogging going on however twice I did see deck attendants remove towels from chairs. I was pretty vocal when others asked if a chair was available that had a towel placed over it in an effort to reserve. To this day I just don't know why people can be so selfish. Sun bathers were always coming and going and truthfully it was never that difficult to find a chair. Was disappointed that there wasn't one pool we found to be heated. First time on a ship we didn't get in the pool because it was too cool....however they were being used. Huge area around the pool where MUTS is always playing. Just always seemed to be too loud and too crowded for my personal liking.

Loved our room. We had a mini-suite B408, port side. Great side for when you pull into St. Thomas as it overlooked many of the yachts. Only downside was the blue lighting under the sea walk which shined down in our direction. Missed being able to see the stars in the night sky from the balcony. The room was great and our Steward Abraham was wonderful. Yes, the tv's are a bit screwy until you get the hang of them. Balcony was a little cramped as there is a large round table, two chairs and a leg rest. Good for two people, but doubtful you would be able to fit three all at the same time.

p><p>Didn

Probably what we missed the most on this ship was the traditional Promenade Deck where you can walk around the ship from one end to the other. And those old fashion type lounge chairs on the same deck where you can lounge back and relax protected from the weather and just watch the people and the sea go by. Really missed just finding a place outdoors where you can hide out away from it all.

The fitness center always seemed to be busy. Great variety of fitness machines but small area with the free weights. They offered all kinds of classes...yoga, zumba, trx , etc...something for everyone. Was always a busy place.

Loved Crooners Bar for the BOGO (buy one, get one) hour from 3:00 to 4:00. Wendy has a crew of fellow bartenders that would join her shortly before 3:00 where it was always fun to watch (and join in) the organized chaos.

p><p>Saw a few of the production shows.  Fiera on Wednesday was the best and well worth seeing.  We thought the Beatlemaniacs were pretty corny.  What

We only got off the ship in St. Thomas and just walked around and did a little shopping and had a couple of beers at an outdoor bar. We so enjoy being on the ship we don't feel like we miss much in the ports from time to time. The day we pulled into St. Maarten there were so many butterflies which I was told is a very common occurrence. We found ourselves in relaxing in chairs looking out over the harbor mesmerized by the white butterflies. Was a great way to enjoy the warm sunshine.

So the hits:

- Beautiful ship with so many dinning choices.

- Great mini-suite room and bathroom size.

- Horizon buffet court.....the design crew did a really great job to keep the flow of people moving in this area. The Pasty Shop is amazing with all it's treats.

- The BOGO hour they have twice a day at two of the bars.

And the misses:

- That whole stair situation forward and aft.

- Really missed the traditional Promenade Deck.

- Mini-suite balcony size...a little cramped.

- Have one of the pools heated.

- Was disappointed with the newer design of the ship's log that shows on the tvof where you have traveled, where you were headed to, how far traveled, temps, sea swells, etc. It actually showed the same thing, in three different sections on the tv.....I'm sure it's a design flaw.

p><p>Overall this was a great cruise on a larger ship and we really enjoyed it. I do feel a little partial to the smaller ships though.   The crew works so hard to please, always pleasant and engaging.   Just wish more of the passengers made a point to thank them for the services they provide.   Heard one guy giving a cook a hard time because he had to wait two minutes for his omelet.  My thought was

I'm sure there be other things I'll add on to this post as I think about them. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

And for those who are getting ready to have your own Regal experience....I wish you much fun and enjoyment. :)

<a href=pool1_zpsd2059fe2.jpg' alt='pool1_zpsd20

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts & photos of the Regal which we'll sail in a couple of months. We've sailed twice on the Royal & my thoughts are very similar to yours. Although we missed things that were on the Royal & not on other Princess ships but it's great to have options for each of us to find the best combination for a cruise. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

What was the problem with the forward and aft stairs?

Really I guess it's only a problem if you allow it to be a problem. Normally with our past cruise experiences the stairs have always been mid ship next to the elevators. That is not the case on the Regal (and her sister ship the Royal from what I understand). On the Regal the stairs are forward and aft. Only on Decks 5, 6, and 7 in the Pizzia are there stairs.....which these too can be a bit confusing because they don't connect with the other areas of the ship, just for the pizzia area. It does take a bit to get use to it. Our room was located mid ship on deck 11, so depending on where we were planning to go it was a decision for either to go either forward or aft. Really not so much a serious complaint as we welcomed the extra steps it took for us to get to the stairs as we tend not to use the elevators during our stay. Just a different mind set to our previous cruising experiences that's all. ;)

Thank you so much for your review. My daughter is sailing on Regal in February and has tasked me with trying to find out what movies are playing on the MUTS currently. If you happen to have your patters available, could you please let me know what they were playing. I know it's a crap shoot that they will be the same in two weeks, but it's worth a shot! Thanks in advance!!

Thank you so much for your review. My daughter is sailing on Regal in February and has tasked me with trying to find out what movies are playing on the MUTS currently. If you happen to have your patters available, could you please let me know what they were playing. I know it's a crap shoot that they will be the same in two weeks, but it's worth a shot! Thanks in advance!!

We'll be on Regal in April and was wondering about the MUTS also :D

Thanks for your review. Glad you enjoyed yourself.:D

Even though the Promenade deck is not like it used to be, the teak cushioned full loungers are present on the Promenade deck on both sides of the ship,towards the aft. We lounged on them on both the Royal and Regal. Great place to read and nap in peace.:D

Thanks for your review. Glad you enjoyed yourself.:D

Even though the Promenade deck is not like it used to be, the teak cushioned full loungers are present on the Promenade deck on both sides of the ship,towards the aft. We lounged on them on both the Royal and Regal. Great place to read and nap in peace.:D

So jealous as I never saw them. All I saw were brown wicker upright chairs with ottomans and they were out in the sunshine with no protection from the elements. Guess I'll just have to book another cruise! :p

Edited by Happy2Crews

So jealous as I never saw them. All I saw were brown wicker upright chairs with ottomans and they were out in the sunshine with no protection from the elements. Guess I'll just have to book another cruise! :p

If you haven't viewed Cruise Critic member Dave's (dmwnc1959) photos, here's a link to an amazing assortment of them from the Royal Princess including those nice deck chairs Mom33 posted about.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1961004

Towards the bottom of page 6 of his "Royal Princess Dec 2013, Part 1" group of photos you can see some of those teak loungers with cushions on Promenade deck...better than on other Princess ships. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

My daughter is sailing on Regal in February and has tasked me with trying to find out what movies are playing on the MUTS currently. If you happen to have your patters available, could you please let me know what they were playing.

I have no idea if the same MUTS will be playing but here is what was playing for the feature films during our cruise.

Sunday: The Giver

Monday: Edge of Tomorrow

Tuesday: Get on Up

Wednesday: Guardians of the Galaxy

Thursday: Concert: Pink Live in Melbourne

Friday: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day

Saturday: NFL Play Offs at 4:30 and 8:15

Thanks for your review. We sail on her on Sunday. Just wondering which dock you were at in St Thomas?

I believe we were in Havensight. I thought there had been a change of plans because we pulled in earlier than originally planned by about 2 hours....at 7:00 in the morning. I think we were one of the first ships in and one of the last ones to pull out because we were waiting on a couple to get back to the ship from the hospital. Was glad we waited for them but was disappointed because when we sat sail it was already too dark to see all the little islands in the distance I remember from a previous sailing. I guess there is always next time. :)

What a pleasant review, I enjoyed it. We were on the Royal last year and will be on the Regal for the 3/29 cruise. Good to know about the 2 for 1 cocktails! Can't wait.

Kendo, there were two BOGO hours each day. 3:00 - 4:00 at Crooners (PLEASE give our regards to DR. WENDY (the main bartender) from Pam and Larry.... she made drinks for hubby's sore throat that were wonderful, so he just started referring to her as Dr. Wendy.) and then from 11:00 - Midnight at Club 6. A lot of fun to watch as they get those drink filled....fast and efficient! You can see the bar crew in the photo I posted in the beginning of this thread. Wendy is the one in the brown outfit. I look back at that photo now and smile. What a great bunch. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Happy2Crews

Kendo, there were two BOGO hours each day. 3:00 - 4:00 at Crooners (PLEASE give our regards to DR. WENDY (the main bartender) from Pam and Larry.... she made drinks for hubby's sore throat that were wonderful, so he just started referring to her as Dr. Wendy.) and then from 11:00 - Midnight at Club 6. A lot of fun to watch as they get those drink filled....fast and efficient! You can see the bar crew in the photo I posted in the beginning of this thread. Wendy is the one in the brown outfit. I look back at that photo now and smile. What a great bunch. Enjoy your cruise.

I was also on this cruise. Very funny because I recognize you two sitting at the crooner bar during BOGO on Saturday! Agree with your review entirely.

I was also on this cruise. Very funny because I recognize you two sitting at the crooner bar during BOGO on Saturday! Agree with your review entirely.

Yes we were there on Saturday! ....ah wait a minute....were you the other couple that was sitting next to us....? Oh that is just too funny! :D

Edited by Happy2Crews