Aboard the Shadow

duct tape

A belated welcome to the Shadow's Grand Voyage around South America. It started well with a very nice Gala Dinner at the Ritz Carlton in Ft.L. Our luggage was collected in the morning and transferred to the ship. nice touch. Transfers to the ship were staggered so as not to overwhelm the crew. Only problem, they were already overwhelmed! Since the Shadow has been out of the country for awhile, all Inspections possible commenced, USPHS, Coast Guard and another CG team who conducted a crew drill!! On embarkation day! As the chaos continued it was really annoying to listen to the Grumpies who wanted to know why their luggage had not yet been delivered! On board we have 357, 2 were in transit, 96 for the whole Grand Voyage, 220 some Venetians with an accumulated # of days over 3800! Boutique reconstruction started also on Day 1. Some people knew it was going to happen but lots of others did not. Noisy, disruptive, dusty, inconvenient access for those on Deck 5. They had to go outside to get to their Suites. Martin's office, HD, had a line outside . Lots of provisions to be loaded, so we left a little late. CC M&M only had 3 of us showed up, Josephone and I. Having that on the 1st day is problematic and easy to miss. Later.

Edited by duct tape

The Caribbean waters were rougher than usual for this time of year. We skipped Puerto Limon. We did have a good day in Key West. Who wouldn't? There are 3 lecturers - Hurst on World Affairs and Geopolitics, a Peruvian archeologist/anthropologist and Ira Feldman, Destination lecturer. They are all excellent and lectures are well attended. Music is also a plus. We have a duo in the Bar who are terrific and the best band SS has had in a long time is in the Panorama. There was a concert harpist on board. There are the new Voices of SS. Lots to report on them but will save it for later.

Hi Ho, I do believe that the complainers and those obviously inconvenienced will receive some sort of compensation. Lots of us were not affected at all. I believe that SS decided that giving out comps would be cheaper than taking the ships out of service.

Hi, duct tape. I hope that Silversea has learned something from this boutique business. Believe me, if your suite had been directly above the boutique, with loud hammering, drilling, and sawing from 7 AM until 6 PM or later for 17 straight days, as we were on the Whisper, you would also have been a "complainer." I hope that they have learned to do it faster. And I hope that satisfactory compensation is made to those affected, without the extensive communications with top brass and weeks post cruise required in the Whisper case. And I feel really sorry for the HD and the Guest Relations officer, for they have to handle all the complaints and can do very little about them. I presume that the nice Lampadina Bar is also closed for the duration?

Hope you had as nice a Panama Canal transfer as we did on the Spirit a day earlier. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Nope, Chester is/has been opening that little bar daily. If you are on that corridor, it must feel like your corner pub! Yes, process here was faster than what you experienced on the Whisper. It is over and will open shortly. Judging from the re-do on the Cloud, there is not a lot to be purchased!

Since we skipped Puerto Limon, we went into Colon, Panama. There was a SS Experience to the Canal. I think it was a thank you to all for their patience with the boutique, missed port, installation of work stations on the Pool Deck, etc. it seemed to work, 300 people went. I had the pool to myself!

In Manta, Ecuador, we did the silliest, goofiest excursion ever, but it was so much fun I loved it, Montecristi by Chivas. At first I thought it was scotch tour but that didn't make sense! We boarded a bus with bench seating, no walls, windows, per se, open air. On the roof was one of the worst mariachi-type bands you ever heard but what great fun! It was about a 40 minute ride to Montecristi village. As we drove, the band played, people smiled, waved and danced on the sidewalks and streets. Even construction workers paused to enjoy the scene. If you are ever here, do it! Memorable with a big smile. Ouch today.

Venetian Party last night, lots of days and awards, as mentioned.

Salavery today. Some interesting and different excursions to ancient sites in the Peruvian coastal desert. The view of the desert from the ship is intimidating and wondrous. Huaca Dragon and Chan Chan Ruins, largest clay city in pre-Columbian Americas. The Dragon Temple is about 1100 years old, adobe pyramidal temple. Chan Chan was the ancient capital and center of the Chimu people, a local tribe who came under the rule of the Incas. There was another trip to Trujillo Ancient Oracles, Huaca del Sol and Huaca de la Luna. They are covered in vibrant polychrome murals. They were the religious center of the Mochica culture. Interesting stuff.

Edited by duct tape

We did a different tour in Manta several years ago but loved it. First was a visit to the button factory where they make buttons from the Tagua nut. Then to the big memorial overlooking the city. On to Montecristi which we enjoyed and bought some Panama hats. The last stop was at an art museum in Manta where there was a display of artwork by children from 5 - 18. Apparently, there is a big push to teach art to students in school, and from the quality of the paintings we saw, it is a big success. The day was memorable despite the complaining of some on the tour that we went to such mundane places!

Edited by Emtbsam

I'm rushing to post this so I may be off on both geography and certainly on spelling. I wouldn't want you to miss the "White City". I think the port is Arequipa. We were fascinated by the restored and still used nunnery...a little enclave with a palpable sense of history. It is wonderful!

Duct Tape -- Only 3800 days with that many Venetians? When you remove those who have "significant" days, that doesn't leave many for the rest. Even if you don't remove the frequent floaters, 3800/220 = 17.27 days. How did they calculate it? Did you possibly mean 38,000?

Having just left the Shadow when you boarded, we are having similar experiences.

The Caribbean was the roughest we have ever experienced. We too had to skip Puerto Limon as the port itself had been closed to traffic. In print it said we would be guests of the Panama Country Club from Gatun Lake but, that never materialized and we wondered if it was just a joke.

The boutique deconstruction started the day we transited the Panama Canal. We were in Silver 729 and we could hear the noise reverberating through out the ship. It made any afternoon siesta impossible. The comical thing was, they moved merchandise to a public area and offered an additional discount on any purchases of SS merchandise. Sadly, prior to the closing of the shops, there was nothing worth purchasing. I saw a World Cruise shirt from several years ago, among the merchandise. It made me laugh but didn't affect me because I don't cruise to shop on board.

Sounds like you are enjoying Belinda and Rolando in the bar. They are fabulous! The REAL talent on board. The crew itself were super and it made our voyage special.

Arequipa (The White City) is what is referenced above. Interesting ride from sea level, through mountains (scary heights!), into the most arid desert in the world, and then you transit back the same way! Would make for a very long day.

Hope the Pacific is nice and calm. For the most part, it was surprising pleasant for us. Enjoy Susan!

• 3 weeks later...