lets hear it for the "cheap seats"

ozarkmama

I have been cruising for 30 years, both as a solo and as a couple, and I can only recall booking an outside cabin twice. We always book insides so our travel money goes a little farther and we prefer insides for better sleep quality also.

However, we have been lucky enough to be upgraded to a balcony cabin twice - once with Princess and once on Solstice to a lovely aft Concierge cabin with a big angled balcony. That didn't spoil us as we have sailed in several more insides since then.

We spend a lot of time on the balcony. No desire to be part of the mad house at the pool. If we could not afford a balcony I would wait until I could. It is all about being outside and seeing the ocean and smelling the sea. I think it`s wonderful that some are just as happy in inside room. Cheers, Heather

One thing I forgot to mention earlier. On those few times we've had an inside we were much busier than when we have a balcony. Couldn't stand being cooped up so we were out and about. We did a lot of activities!

It wasn't until we actually had a balcony that I started to relax on a cruise, just sit on the balcony and watch the ocean. I so love not having to try and find a lounger at the pool.

enjoy,

Duane

My wife and I have sailed many times over the last 35 years and often had outside or balcony cabins. They are nice but we realized how little time we actually spend in the cabin so the last 10 years or so we pretty much book insides. The money we save is spent on other stuff, like other cruises.

If it means cruise or no cruise--cheap seats it is!

But we REALLY enjoyed our balcony on our last cruise (and the perks of AQ). We booked a balcony because to get the free drink package we had to--SOOO worth it. So, I'm going to spend that $ anyway on drinks...may as well get the balcony!

After I book I watch prices carefully & last year was able to upgrade from a std balcony to AQ for maybe $50 more per person for the cruise. WOW!

With the kids, cheap is the way to go.

Again--cruise interior or don't cruise at all...NO BRAINER!:D

Booking an inside or ocean view allows us to cruise twice a year. Once just my wife and I and then a second time with our daughters who are 5 & 8.

When we go with our daughters we get two cabins and my wife stays with one and I stay with the other, unless we are able to secure a joining cabins.

DH and I have been cruising together for about 20 years and at different stages of life our preferences and financial priorities have changed. When the kids were small we started out with four of us in an OV and we had a blast. We spent no time in the cabin. The kids are now out of college and working full time (thankfully!) and tend to plan their vacations with friends so it's just the two of us cruising now. We have pretty demanding jobs and like to take one really nice and relaxing vacation each year so we will go for a suite. We love the extra space in the room and the balcony. When we retire we plan to travel more frequently and that will certainly factor into our cabin choice. One rule we've always followed is we don't spend money we don't have for a vacation (e.g. save for retirement first and no debt). Everyone's thought process is different and there is no right answer! Just enjoy!

We sail in an inside as we like the great sleep you get and also due to many bouts of skin cancer we do not sit in the sun and if I want some sun I can go on deck.

I do love day napping in an inside cabin! It's so much easier to block out all the light.

17+ cruises in 25+ years ranging from 4 to 21 days. With ONE single exception, all have been booked as inside guarantees. The exception was booked as av OV so we could get the free drinks package. We are perfectly content to sail in the worst cabin on the ship (and actually did once). We retired young (62 and 52) and spend our money else where - typically, more vacations.

Seven different cruise lines, and only two ever upgraded us to something other than inside. MSC and Celebrity, both in 2014, both times upgraded to balcony. We enjoyed the balcony but wouldn't pay extra for it (but admit that we asked our TA to work hard to get us these upgrades).

Which brings up another point. We never received upgrades when we booked inside gty with the big online TA or directly with the cruise line. The last three cruises we've booked with the same TA who owns her own franchise of a large TA company. Suddenly, we're getting balconies! Coincidence? I think not.

Love the cheap seats too!

I have enjoyed my balcony in the Caribbean but for Alaska and Europe I go for the best price and it is usually the inside cabins. The next cruise is in an OV because with all the perks it didn't cost much more......

I can be happy in any cabin on the ship :D

Our 1st cruise was on an older carnival ship...real crappy itinerary, was from LA to a few ports in Mexico, and we had an inside cabin, way down below!! Was probably their cheapest cabin---my inlaws bought it off of someone who had bid on it at a charity event. Their winning bid was only $200,lol

We still had a great time.

Often as I cruise these forums I feel like DH and I are the only ones that are perfectly happy in a "cheap" cabin. Our first cruise was in an interior and the only reason I prefer an ocean view is the natural daylight to help wake up in the morning. We are only in our cabin to shower, change, sleep and ;)

Am I all alone? Sometimes reading these forums I feel like I am in steerage class on the Titanic. :o

You are not alone out of our 8 cruises 2 were in interior rooms 4 in obstructed ocean views 1 in an unobstructed ocean view and 1 in a balcony. Like you we just need some natural light but if push comes to shove we will book interior. One of the reasons that I don't like the new Royal and Regal Princess ships is that they don't have ocean view staterooms.

I booked our next cruise on the Celebrity and because we don't have to fly to port I booked a veranda. Actually I booked in Concierge Class because they were offering the drink package, paid gratuities and a $300 obc which made booking the better room less than the regular veranda. I hope we don't get spoiled.

Edited by Iamcruzin

DH loves day napping on the balcony:) Fresh air and the sound of the ocean for him!

The same for me. I bring along eyeshades, but don't really need them on the balcony as I can easily doze off out there without them.

It is so peaceful out there away from the crowds, one of my favorite things about cruising.

I can be happy with even a last minute guarantee balcony at rock bottom price, and just use an inflated beach ball to make my own footrest.

I don't think I would cruise without a balcony for two reasons.

Our last couple of cruises have been with our kids, three and seven. I don't want to go to bed when they do. We sit out on the balcony and enjoy a few cocktails after they go to bed.

Even before kids and when we don't take them a balcony is a must. We spend more than two hours a day on our balcony. While others enjoy the cruise line activities, our favorite activity is sitting on the balcony enjoying each other and the ocean.

To me it's no different than any other service that costs extra. We don't pay extra for services we don't use. If we didn't use the balcony we wouldn't pay for it. For us, it's the most valuable "service" on the boat.

Years ago when I was single, I went around South America on the Royal Viking in an interior cabin. I had no problem doing it. Then Princess ruined me for life by upgrading DW and me to a balcony on an Alaskan cruise 25 years ago. Since then depending on the line we've had balconies, mini-suites, AQ, regular suites but never an interior.

Friends of ours will soon embark on a Princess around the world cruise. Interior cabin. 111 days, I think. They are hoping for an upgrade and I am hoping they get one. I can't imagine leaving home for 111 days but I really can't imagine being in an interior for that length of time. Has anyone ever done it?

The same for me. I bring along eyeshades, but don't really need them on the balcony as I can easily doze off out there without them.

It is so peaceful out there away from the crowds, one of my favorite things about cruising.

I can be happy with even a last minute guarantee balcony at rock bottom price, and just use an inflated beach ball to make my own footrest.

Great idea..... The railing is always too high

Our first cruise was obstructed view and we were hooked on cruising with that cruise. We have had insides, windows, balconies, AFT balconies, and mini-suites (I am way too cheap to book a suite) -and they are all good to us. If the cruise is in the Caribbean, then we prefer a balcony - but if it is Europe, an inside is fine because it is so port intensive. Our next two cruises are over two weeks each - Asia and the UK - and both are ocean views to save on expenses. For so many days at sea I want the light, but most days will be port intensive and cool, so we are happy with our choice. We have been fortunate to have been upgraded for free a few times, but we never book with that expectation. I prefer to cruise several times a year and if a cheaper cabin is what it takes, sign me up:)

My rule is "Get me on the ship", I'll worry about the cabin type later.

I've cruised over 20 times and probably half have been an inside cabin.

All things being equal I'd prefer a verandah, but as we know, all things aren't equal (and life isn't fair :p). When choosing to cruise, I look at my budget and the available offers to see what makes the most sense.

The current 1,2,3 Go type promo generally (but not always) makes getting an Oceanview or higher the better value (assuming you like a glass of wine or so). Ultimately it's about finding a balance between enjoying yourself on vacation but not breaking the bank.

I still laugh at my first Med cruise. DW and I were in a category 12 inside cabin on the Millie and were seated with a group for dinner who all had suites. Thought it was funny that they probably paid 5X's what I did and here we were eating with them.

If the choice comes down to cruising with an inside cabin or not cruising, my choice is an easy one, an inside cabin is always better than no cabin.

For me I prefer the inside cabin because it's nice and dark to sleep. I usually cruise anywhere from two to five cruises a year, so the cheaper the sailing is the more cruises I can go in a year. I'm mostly in an inside cabin, and have had two ocean view and one balcony cabin so far. A friend convinced me to join on a Christmas Cruise in 2016 and a AQ cabin was booked on the Eclipse so I'll see how that goes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My rule is "Get me on the ship", I'll worry about the cabin type later.

I've cruised over 20 times and probably half have been an inside cabin.

All things being equal I'd prefer a verandah, but as we know, all things aren't equal (and life isn't fair :p). When choosing to cruise, I look at my budget and the available offers to see what makes the most sense.

The current 1,2,3 Go type promo generally (but not always) makes getting an Oceanview or higher the better value (assuming you like a glass of wine or so). Ultimately it's about finding a balance between enjoying yourself on vacation but not breaking the bank.

I still laugh at my first Med cruise. DW and I were in a category 12 inside cabin on the Millie and were seated with a group for dinner who all had suites. Thought it was funny that they probably paid 5X's what I did and here we were eating with them.

If the choice comes down to cruising with an inside cabin or not cruising, my choice is an easy one, an inside cabin is always better than no cabin.

I agree 100% with RickT on this one!

We always book a CAT 10 inside; we monitor price drops and "deals" (like the 1,2,3 promo); after final payment we will play the upgrade game. We've never spent more than $100 per person to move up from our original booking. The early booking gives us the dining preference we want, and if we end up in our original cabin, it's the one we wanted.

In the last 10 cruises we've ended up with two insides; two ocean views; five balcony cabins; and one Aqua Class.

We still sleep better on cruise ships compared to anywhere else, and we sleep best in inside cabins. In northern latitudes, in the summer, insides are the way to go (unless the price is right):)

Enjoy!

Kel:D